• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most wanted old school RPG Remake?

• Chrono Trigger

Votes: 210 27.3%
  • Chrono Cross

Votes: 30 3.9%
  • Vagrant Story

Votes: 98 12.8%
  • FF VI

Votes: 183 23.8%
  • Xenogears

Votes: 212 27.6%
  • Breath of Fire 4

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Valkyrie Profile

Votes: 16 2.1%

• Total voters

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I mean by this pretty much the same game we got years ago but with improved graphics and polished controls.

PS: Just to clarify.. 7 Remake is a complete change over the original game and we will hardly get something like that for another old school RPG like the ones I posted on the poll.

I think is much more possible that we can get the same original game with 2020 graphics and improved controls just like RE2 Remake. That's the same old game but they improved everything else to top tier quality.

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Came to post Chrono Trigger, you did well OP.

Edit: Ah I see you edited the poll to add less optimal choices, disappointing.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Xenogears easily
I don't believe it's the best game on that list, but I believe it's the one that could benefit the most from a remake.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Chrono Trigger makes sense, but let's be real. Chrono Cross would benefit from a remake a lot more. CT is still immaculate as it is. CC looks like ass and its battle system runs like molasses.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Xenogears is most deserving, and I will fight you if you disagree.

One of the best stories conceived in a video game period and a game that desperately needs it's disc 2 properly finished.

I can think of no better RPG to remake.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I'm assuming you meant ff7 remake.

7 Remake is a complete change over the original game and we will hardly get something like that for another old school RPG like the ones I posted on the poll.

I think is much more possible that we can get the same original game with 2020 graphics and improved controls just like RE2 Remake. That's the same old game but they improved everything else to top tier quality.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Poll needs a none of the above/I'd prefer a new entry in classic series option

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Chrono Trigger is great the way it is and doesn't need a remake. Haven't played Xenogears. But Final Fantasy VI has a such an interesting world and characters that I think would really benefit from being fleshed out in modern technology. So that's my choice.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with a FF6 remake is that SE would probably use Tetsuya Nomura's style for the characters.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears! You can still enjoy CT and FF6 no problem. Xenogears is missing a whole disc worth of content. Gimme that sweet sweet remake action. If it did someh0w happen just for the love of christ DON'T use the same shit ass combat system as Xenoblade chronicles 2(I think most of that crew ended up working on these games?).

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger is already about as perfect as a game gets for me, but I'd like to see it attempted so long as they don't change the goddamn combat system into some trash ass wannabe action JRPG.

Same goes for Xenogears.

HellBlazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Xenogears but I wouldn't trust modern Square-Enix to not turn it to shit...

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Xenogears could do with a remake/remaster because I'm still mad I've never gotten to play it, and most of the other games still hold up pretty well. Due to the 2d animation in Valkyrie Profile that game still holds up, ChronoTrigger's sprites are still charming and great, FF6 would be great to see remade but I'm not a huge fan of the new Square's art direction personally.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 have some of the best sprite animation on the planet, so anything "remade" or 3D for that franchise would be a step down to me.

Vagrant Story could be a contender though. Remastering that and using the same amazing cutscene direction would be bad ass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know. A lot of the greatest RPGs were good because of their technical limitations. I can't imagine a fully remade FFVI would be nearly as good as the original game, especially because modern Square Enix treats Terra like a completely pathetic, spineless waif and Kefka like a really bad improv comedian who just did a bunch of coke. FFVI with full voice acting and no Woolsey script would lose virtually all the charm the original game had.

I feel like Xenogears or Vagrant Story would BENEFIT most from a remake. Especially Vagrant Story, since that game was kind of trying to do like six different things at once and couldn't execute all of them well enough.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Xenogears like using the Xenoblade 2 engine. At least they could probably properly finish the disc 2 issue.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Xenogears is the right answer.
Beside the fact that its the game that most deserves this can you imagine the mecha battles on next gen hardware with RT, particles effects and all those bells and whistles ? Shit would be dope !

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Xenogears by FAR.
This game stands to gain the most from a snake. The 2nd disc was basically made into a visual novel because they ran out of time or money.

Also, the graphics could use a facelift from the PS1.

I don't think we will ever get this but it's my most wanted.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta say, the idea that RE2Make didn't change a whole bunch from the original is pretty wrong to me.
I feel like Xenogears or Vagrant Story would BENEFIT most from a remake. Especially Vagrant Story, since that game was kind of trying to do like six different things at once and couldn't execute all of them well enough.
Yeah. I'd love a Vagrant Story remake that was specifically much more Soulsborne-y (and I say this as someone who played the fuck out of the original, figured out the weapon smithing system, and fully enjoyed the game despite all the weapon swapping).

The interlocking map (with opening shortcuts), the heavily differentiated and mazelike locations, the way the game always quietly gives you exactly what you need to beat the next boss, the cinematic and intimidating boss intros and death scenes - I feel like there's a ton that'd translate quite neatly from VS. I don't think I'd want it to be as *hard* as Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro, but IMO the basic design philosophies would be surprisingly compatible, I think. Just do away with the fully RNG-based stat boosts (either from potions, which in VS can give you anywhere between +1 and +4 to a given stat, or from boss battles), but keep the intensity of the weaponsmithing system (and just provide a better tutorial and a quick weapon swap). I have no problem with keeping a Heal spell or any of that stuff, either - again, it doesn't need to be as hard as Soulsborne, just pleasantly challenging.

Something left out of this poll that I'd really love to see remade, though, is Final Fantasy V. The Job system has seen many iterations and updates since that game came out, and IMO a remake would benefit from all of those further iterations on the formula. And I wouldn't mind seeing it using a faster version of the ATB like the one from FFX-2.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre. I'm not picky.

Xenogears, of the ones on this list, since I missed it.