• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 3, 2018
In 2016, Jang Ji-sung's seven-year-old daughter Nayeon died of an incurable disease. Three years later, the South Korean mother was reunited with Nayeon — sort of — in a virtual world created for a televised documentary.

On Thursday, the Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation shared a clip from the special documentary, titled "I Met You," on its YouTube page, with the footage cutting between the "real world" and the virtual one. In the former setting, Jang stands in front of a massive green screen while wearing both a VR headset and what appear to be some sort of haptic gloves. In the latter, she and her daughter talk, hold hands, and even have a birthday party complete with a lit cake.

The VR reunion is, as you might expect, extremely emotional. Jang appears to begin crying the moment she sees the virtual Nayeon, while the rest of the family — Nayeon's father, brother, and sister — watch the reunion unfold with somber expressions and the occasional tear. "Maybe it's a real paradise," Jang said of the reunion in VR, according to Aju Business Daily. "I met Nayeon, who called me with a smile, for a very short time, but it's a very happy time. I think I've had the dream I've always wanted.

According to Aju Business Daily, the production team spent eight months on the project. They designed the virtual park after one the mother and daughter had visited in the real world, and used motion capture technology to record the movements of a child actor that they could later use as a model for their virtual Nayeon.

All that to say: the process might not be simple and the final product might not be perfect, but we now have the technology to recreate the dead in VR — convincingly enough to move their loved ones to tears.

Just a heads up; video is hard to watch.

Via Futurism

me watching the video:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Heidecker already pioneered this technological/emotional space years ago together with his deceased son, Tom Cruise, Jr. Here's their heartwarming reunion:

Edit: removing link to comedy bit with the same premise because I don't want anyone to think I'm mocking the family. I am very suspicious of the reality show for doing this, however.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
There's something very sick about the whole concept. Having something to memorialize somebody is one thing but creating a false reality manufactured by strangers is another.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that she's watching her kid in VR and the viewers are watching her in TV. There's something voyeuristic.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this at all. I wouldn't want some software imitating my loved ones and playing with my emotions.

Nov 13, 2017
Touching but...

...this is like the start to some manga where the character gets obsessed with leaving in a VR world until they eventually lose their mind

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but this is messed up. An essential part of the grieving process and moving on is accepting the finality of death and understanding that the person is truly dead. This must mess with the mother's emotions big time. It's awful.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
This is literally a Black Mirror episode. The difference being a romantic relationship than parental, but this was an actual Black Mirror ep.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minority Report did this but in AR
Tom Cruise would get high af and then talk to his lost son by playing AR videos

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, this feels like Tom Cruise JR but completely awful in a way that isn't funny

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna judge.

I have no idea what kind of emotional pit would be created if my daughter died. I can easily picture myself wanting ANY kind of moment with her again, fake it not. =(

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, at least be glad that you weren't the only person to consider posting this in this thread....I'm glad it was you and not me.
Ok to be clear, I'm not trolling anyone here, and I'm not making light of that mother. I hope she finds relief from her grief. If this helps her, then good. Overall though, projects like this feel creepy as hell, likely to make things worse, and like deliberate exploitation of desperate people, which is the general point of the Heidecker bit.

Last edited:

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but this is messed up. An essential part of the grieving process and moving on is accepting the finality of death and understanding that the person is truly dead. This must mess with the mother's emotions big time. It's awful.
Sorry to say but each person grieves differently. If this helps her in the long run, then of course it is up to her whether she wants to do it or not. The amount of disgusting comments here really makes me .....

She clearly has the mental state and situation to not let herself be super involved in the VR world, she has a family to take care of and has clear support from her friends and family as well. She's not gonna go crazy.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yeah, this seems unhealthy. They might form an emotional attachment with a virtual version instead of moving on. I guess I could maybe see it helping in cases where a person is simply unable to move on and it allows them to say goodbye. I'm no psychologist though

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuckk... i dunno man... Goddamn. Is this even watchable as a parent?

Edit: no it isn't.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
seems like a modern/near future analogue of sitting down with a family home video as opposed to jacking into an alt reality where your loved ones are still around

though technology could evenually slip the slope

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Several years after the fact seems brutal. Talk about reopening old wounds but perhaps this is something the mother really needed.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
To turn this into entertainment is fucked up. There's movies and TV shows being emotionally manipulative then there's this shit taking it to another level. Or at least trying to. It's so thinly veiled I couldn't feel anything but cynicism and contempt for whoever produced the show.

Also the textures were low quality and all that effort but no raytracing?

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
No one is judging the mother
Eh there are comments about her grieving process and whatnot. Was this sprung on her without her knowledge when she was putting the vr on?

I guess I made the assumption that she knew about this before going in.

My bad for commenting before watching the video, but it's something that I need to build myself up to watch this early in the morning =p

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to say but each person grieves differently. If this helps her in the long run, then of course it is up to her whether she wants to do it or not. The amount of disgusting comments here really makes me .....

She clearly has the mental state and situation to not let herself be super involved in the VR world, she has a family to take care of and has clear support from her friends and family as well. She's not gonna go crazy.
There's nothing disgusting or abnormal about having a visceral negative reaction to this novel interaction of technology and humanity. Nobody is condemning the mother here. It's the entire concept that people are questioning.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, one of my biggest fears is that when my parents pass away, I'm not going to be able to remember their faces or voices.

I know its sounds weird as you can see pictures and videos etc, but it's the feeling of actually being able to just see them actually around me or remember what that feels like that I fear.

I can genuinely see a future where parents can record VR interactions to leave behind for their kids........and their kids kids.

Can you imagine being able to actually start up a VR app where you can walk into a room and just start talking to your great grandparents.......great great grandparents.........and be able to sit in a room and have them explain their lives to you, what they liked, things they did, with their own voices. With all their personal quirks and expressions. I think it could be amazing.

That said, recreating very young children (or maybe anyone tbh) who were lost in a tragic way seems a little..........it could work for some, but seems like it can be a bad idea for the wrong people.

Also, imagine in the future......if your VR avatar could have behaviours embedded into it based on all the information that Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, internet cookies, uber eats, spotify, etc had gathered over your entire lifespan.......Your great great great grandkids could ask your VR avatar what kind of music you liked.........what kind of clothes you wore, when you bought them, how much they cost........your favourite brands.........how many fucking calories you burned on an average day.......

Man.....