• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

It's been a while, but I will be leaving Bandai Namco Entertainment on August 31. From tomorrow, I will be working at a game company located in Shibuya. 25 years ago, I joined the former Namco and met various people. I am greatful to all the people I met.

Especially through Soul Calibur VI, I received enormous power from players all over the world. Thank you very much. I'd like to show you various goods I've received from everyone, but there are too many! Allow me to show you the '9 million units' cushion, received last week from the development team of Tekken and Soul Calibur!

Once again, thank you, thank you and thank you!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's a big hit for Bandai Namco. Okubo is awesome. Best of luck to him.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOO. He did such a fantastic job with Sc6 and I was really lookint forward to whats next for Sc with him involved..

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. The Japanese gaming industry is going through a really tough time right now. Hard to be excited for the future of major AAA Japanese games if people in charge of major franchises keep getting poached away by NetEase and Tencent.

I miss you, Soul Calibur. Please don't be gone for too long. :(

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Don't feeling much, Soulcalibur VI was the last delay based netcode fighter I bought, so I couldn't play it much anyway. Good luck to him though I guess.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Sigh. The Japanese gaming industry is going through a really tough time right now. Hard to be excited for the future of major AAA Japanese games if people in charge of major franchises keep getting poached away by NetEase and Tencent.

Trying to look at the bright side...this gives up and coming talent the room to shine? I guess?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to look at the bright side...this gives up and coming talent the room to shine? I guess?

Yeah...it's just hard to get super excited for a scenario like that, since Soul Calibur has been a victim of executive interference for basically every single installment after Calibur I. VI seemed like a step away from that, but now if the leader is gone we're back to square one again. Who knows if Namco's leadership will boss the next guy around as much as they did the team working on SCV?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully he can continue to work on games he wants to create. Soul Calibur 6 was a great game and he definitely puts a lot of care into his projects.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

What? It is doing better than ever in the post 360 timeline.

I can't keep up myself.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What? It is doing better than ever in the post 360 timeline.

I can't keep up myself.

If Yakuza is losing Nagoshi and Soul Calibur is losing Okubo, those are two of the key Japanese franchises I care about becoming rudderless. Castlevania is dead, Metal Gear is gone.

I don't care about first person Resident Evil games or remakes of old stuff, so Capcom is effectively nothing to me until Dragon's Dogma 2 is announced. All I have is FF16 to look forward to. It sucks.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
If Yakuza is losing Nagoshi and Soul Calibur is losing Okubo, those are two of the key Japanese franchises I care about becoming rudderless. Castlevania is dead, Metal Gear is gone.

I don't care about first person Resident Evil games or remakes of old stuff, so Capcom is effectively nothing to me until Dragon's Dogma 2 is announced. All I have is FF16 to look forward to. It sucks.
Not into SHMUPs, indies, Nintendo (they're Japanese lol), Square Enix, FROM, KojiPro, ATLUS, etc. I could go on and on.

Also Nagoshi hasn't been a director for ages now and the games are solid. Games are not just about one person.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not into SHMUPs, indies, Nintendo (they're Japanese lol), Square Enix, FROM, KojiPro, ATLUS, etc. I could go on and on.

Also Nagoshi hasn't been a director for ages now and the games are solid. Games are not just about one person.

Like I said in the Nagoshi thread, the problem isn't just losing Nagoshi himself. It's the fact he's going to take a ton of key staff with him when he leaves and blow a giant hole through RGG Studio on the way out.

That's the big problem with these high profile departures - the figureheads take their buddies with them and leave the studios they're bailing on directionless and leaderless. It's already going to be hard enough for Soul Calibur VII to get made in the first place - if Okubo takes a bunch of key staff with him to go to NetEase, that's only going to make SCVII even HARDER to make.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said in the Nagoshi thread, the problem isn't just losing Nagoshi himself. It's the fact he's going to take a ton of key staff with him when he leaves and blow a giant hole through RGG Studio on the way out.

That's the big problem with these high profile departures - the figureheads take their buddies with them and leave the studios they're bailing on directionless and leaderless. It's already going to be hard enough for Soul Calibur VII to get made in the first place - if Okubo takes a bunch of key staff with him to go to NetEase, that's only going to make SCVII even HARDER to make.
If that is so, wouldn't you be excited about Nagoshi's new project then? My point is that good games will still be made.

Kojima proved this leaving Konami. Death Stranding was amazing and a shot in the arm he needed creatively.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If that is so, wouldn't you be excited about Nagoshi's new project then? My point is that good games will still be made.

Honestly, given the history of "hey, we quit our publisher, and now we're making the same kind of game as the one you like, this time for a different publisher" games being disappointments almost across the board...I'm not super enthusiastic for what Nagoshi's gonna do outside of Sega.

Similarly, I'm not particularly interested in a new fighting game IP out of Okubo. I care about Soul Calibur. Most new fighting game IP that have come out in the last decade or so (BlazBlue, GBFV, Persona Arena, etc) have not been my kind of thing.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
This is sad. Soulcalibur VI was fantastic and I was pretty hopeful for the series' future with him there.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, given the history of "hey, we quit our publisher, and now we're making the same kind of game as the one you like, this time for a different publisher" games being disappointments almost across the board...I'm not super enthusiastic for what Nagoshi's gonna do outside of Sega.

Similarly, I'm not particularly interested in a new fighting game IP out of Okubo. I care about Soul Calibur. Most new fighting game IP that have come out in the last decade or so (BlazBlue, GBFV, Persona Arena, etc) have not been my kind of thing.
You gotta be more optimistic. I know it's your temperament lol, but gaming has never been better, yes, even if you only care about Japan only.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are so few major 3D fighters that if we get a new one outta this, maybe it will be worth it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are so few major 3D fighters that if we get a new one outta this, maybe it will be worth it.

I'm not enthusiastic about it, since virtually every new fighter we get nowadays has a tiny roster and virtually no offline content, but tons of expensive paid DLC. A brand new 3D fighter IP will almost definitely fall into that vein as well.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Actually got to meet Okubo at an event for SCVI, got a signed poster. Was cool. Wish him well in what he does next.

Hope SC isn't dead, but I'm pretty concerned

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully Soul Calibur lives on after he leaves. Either way, I wish Okubo the best in his future endeavors.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully he lands at a company that gives him the budget and time he deserves.

Being an SC fan is suffering.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate after how well SCVI turned out, the franchise's future will be much less certain without him there to advocate for it.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Correct. No SC producer has survived more than one game since it was moved under Harada's umbrella, despite the fact that it's always (yes, even SC5) a high seller.

Yeah this seems really bad for Soul Calibur. He did so much with so little for SC6. Sad to hear.

Wishing him all the best at his new company.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
hope he's moving to better pastures. i remember he was constantly tweeting about how fucking awful his work conditions and the dev environment was for SC6. but man, he was truly great for the series - SC6 is fucking GODLIKE in both it's vs system, chars and SP content. it's truly insane given how little he was apparently given to work with budget/time wise.

RIP soul calibur, i guess. it sucks.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
hopefully Tekken can keep up the momentum for the next game. as for Soul Calibur... we'll see if the series gets another chance.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I would be so upset if SoulCalibur ended with 6. I'm just now getting back into the series, too.