• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I might have to give this show a watch.

I posted some impressions a while back (maybe it was on GAF). The video quality is kinda bad (compared to today's standards) but the show is very enjoyable. It gets a lot of flak because they actually had a whole crew to support them in case something went wrong (no wonder -- imagine being a Star Wars actor and decide to travel the world on motorcycle).

In reality it's the interaction between Charly and Ewan that makes the show, they seem like really good buddies. Both are funny/charismatic guys so I constantly ended cracking up at some of their jokes. It's also a nice peek of how challenging it can be traveling the world on motorcycle, especially on big adventure bikes over rough terrain.

My hot take is that I liked Long Way Down better (most people prefer Long Way Round). I particularly find Africa interesting and they had some decent shots and adventures of cool stuff around Africa. The beginning of the show was a little rushed and the boys weren't enjoying it all but when they decided to slow down it turns out pretty great. It's also an awkward trip because Ewan's then wife decided to join the trip effectively creating a rift between Charley/Ewan.

If you want to see another show I recommend Ride with Norman Reedus.

Last edited:

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Short story time:

Some months ago I dropped my iPhone and cracked the back (I'm a naked phone believer). After a lot of weeks of postponing my trip to the Apple store to get it replaced I decided I might as well buy a case in case I drop it again (and Apple care only handles 2 accidental drops). After being spammed for months on Facebook about the Quad Lock case and motorcycle mount I decided to give it a try.

I ordered the iPhone case and motorcycle mount, and the day I got it I went to the Apple store and got my replacement phone to put inside the case immediately. My impressions so far is that case is bulky (to my standards) but it's very robust and feels like it'll protect the phone well plus has microfiber lining to keep the phone in good condition (I dropped the phone again lol, no issues). For those that don't know, a Quad Lock case has a notch on the back of the case that attaches directly to the mount. I don't find the notch particularly annoying and as a motorcyclist I think it's kinda cool to have your phone ready for attachment.

It took me some days to install the mount (was busy) but it's freaking amazing:
  1. Mount comes with multiple handlebar width support.
  2. You mount to a plastic ring that wraps around the handlebar, thus preventing damage from the mount.
  3. Installation is a fucking breeze. It includes the hex key you need.
  4. You can either install the mount/attachment part directly or there's an optional arm if you want to move the phone a little out.
  5. All pieces have 360 degree rotation so you can set it up however you want.
  6. Most importantly, the phone feels solid when it's mounted. Also, it takes literally a second to snap in place (although it may take a little while to learn how to do it quickly, it requires a technique).
  7. It looks very elegant and minimal compared to the RAM X-grip mount.
I highly recommend you guys check it out. They have cases for various phones and also an universal adaptor if not supported. They sell the motorcycle handlebar mount, a mount to a 1" ball, or a mirror mount as well.

If you guys are interested you can get 10% off using my link plus I get stuff (I just googled if they had a referral, I honestly wanted to recommend this one cuz I like a lot so far).

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking at quad locks for a few weeks now, that's oddly specific timing lol

I'll have to pick one up soon

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked join or die as well.

Plate looks good! I can't believe you can get just 4 characters, that would cost a fortune here. Is it just the angle or is that rear tyre pretty squared?

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I highly recommend you guys check it out. They have cases for various phones and also an universal adaptor if not supported. They sell the motorcycle handlebar mount, a mount to a 1" ball, or a mirror mount as well.

If you guys are interested you can get 10% off using my link plus I get stuff (I just googled if they had a referral, I honestly wanted to recommend this one cuz I like a lot so far).

Oh nice thanks, I was searching for this system some time ago.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Feeling bad for the people that traveled all the way there for the race only to have it cancelled. If they don't resurface the track again to fix the bumps (they just did but failed to fix it) it probably puts future motogp races at silverstone in to reconsideration. If things keep staying on schedule over here in Finland we might have a MotoGP race here in 2020 at Kymiring (under construction at the moment).

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the press conference seems to conclude that it's the new surface that has caused all the water standing problems.
Good job

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering buying that new Honda Super Cub as a second bike when it's released in the UK?

That thing is basically the polar opposite of my Ducati, but they are just so timeless.

Oct 29, 2017
Short story time:

Some months ago I dropped my iPhone and cracked the back (I'm a naked phone believer). After a lot of weeks of postponing my trip to the Apple store to get it replaced I decided I might as well buy a case in case I drop it again (and Apple care only handles 2 accidental drops). After being spammed for months on Facebook about the Quad Lock case and motorcycle mount I decided to give it a try.

I ordered the iPhone case and motorcycle mount, and the day I got it I went to the Apple store and got my replacement phone to put inside the case immediately. My impressions so far is that case is bulky (to my standards) but it's very robust and feels like it'll protect the phone well plus has microfiber lining to keep the phone in good condition (I dropped the phone again lol, no issues). For those that don't know, a Quad Lock case has a notch on the back of the case that attaches directly to the mount. I don't find the notch particularly annoying and as a motorcyclist I think it's kinda cool to have your phone ready for attachment.

It took me some days to install the mount (was busy) but it's freaking amazing:
  1. Mount comes with multiple handlebar width support.
  2. You mount to a plastic ring that wraps around the handlebar, thus preventing damage from the mount.
  3. Installation is a fucking breeze. It includes the hex key you need.
  4. You can either install the mount/attachment part directly or there's an optional arm if you want to move the phone a little out.
  5. All pieces have 360 degree rotation so you can set it up however you want.
  6. Most importantly, the phone feels solid when it's mounted. Also, it takes literally a second to snap in place (although it may take a little while to learn how to do it quickly, it requires a technique).
  7. It looks very elegant and minimal compared to the RAM X-grip mount.

Thanks for the write up. These definitely look nice but $80 is a bit steep and I dunno if I can justify that over the $10 clamp / rubber spider setup that I currently have.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Modern version of the best selling motorcycle ever made. My Dad had one back in the 60s even, though I think that was 50cc

Yep, we had one back in the 80s and ours was 50cc. Super fun to ride, paid $25 for it. We drown ours in a river by accident and it never ran again after that. Sold it to a priest for the same $25 who wanted to try to fix it up.

We were young. Never should have sold it, lol.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, we had one back in the 80s and ours was 50cc. Super fun to ride, paid $25 for it. We drown ours in a river by accident and it never ran again after that. Sold it to a priest for the same $25 who wanted to try to fix it up.

We were young. Never should have sold it, lol.

The only thing about this story that is perhaps unusual for a Cub is that it stopped working after it went in the river!

Looks like the "new" version will be a shade under £3000 over here, which sounds about right considering it seems to be the same platform as the Grom. I wouldn't mind having one in the garage for grocery runs etc, though I couldn't live with 125cc as my primary ride any more.

Oct 29, 2017
I want a Grom/Z125/Cub but the only real reason I could think of to justify it would be to put on my full leathers and just race around the neighborhood knee down everywhere....probably not a good reason to spend $3k

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Plus what knife-wielding chav is going to try and nick a cub? Why it would be irresponsible for us not to buy them

Oct 29, 2017

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Since they are so small and light, it might be more of a reason to try and steal them (at least it would here in the states, you could just roll up with a pick up truck and toss it in the bed).

The way things are these days in England, I could be riding a 100 percent rusted pcx scooter with flat tyres and I'd still probably be at risk of getting stabbed for it at the lights. It's kind of sad that these days I always try to get to the front of the lights, not to get ahead of traffic, but so that if someone pulls up alongside me with a view to stealing my bike, I can deploy 135bhp...

I'm just glad that when I do travel to work, it's a datacentre with a 15ft fence around the car park

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I want a Grom/Z125/Cub but the only real reason I could think of to justify it would be to put on my full leathers and just race around the neighborhood knee down everywhere....probably not a good reason to spend $3k
The only motorcycle missing from this list is the Honda Monkey.

The way things are these days in England, I could be riding a 100 percent rusted pcx scooter with flat tyres and I'd still probably be at risk of getting stabbed for it at the lights. It's kind of sad that these days I always try to get to the front of the lights, not to get ahead of traffic, but so that if someone pulls up alongside me with a view to stealing my bike, I can deploy 135bhp...

I'm just glad that when I do travel to work, it's a datacentre with a 15ft fence around the car park
I feel so fucking bad for the situation out there. As far as I know cops won't chase theives and you can't defend yourself against them. It's fucked. That's why I love the USA, lol. You can defend yourself with a gun if you have to. Heck, in Texas, it is legal to shoot a fleeing thief if they're taking off with your property. But that's Texas. Texas, which is bigger than all of USA combined.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so fucking bad for the situation out there. As far as I know cops won't chase theives and you can't defend yourself against them. It's fucked. That's why I love the USA, lol. You can defend yourself with a gun if you have to. Heck, in Texas, it is legal to shoot a fleeing thief if they're taking off with your property. But that's Texas. Texas, which is bigger than all of USA combined.

In the last year, since it because knowledge outside the motorcycle community, the police have started to crack down a bit more and have begun chasing them again in some cases. The problem is that police funding has been cut to the bone, and the only reason things aren't worse is there's still the impression that they're in control for much of the general population. I've dealt with the police in the last year for some petty crime (thankfully not bike related), and it's pretty clear they are stretched to breaking point. The officers I've met are generally good people doing their best, but I wouldn't count on them for anything that isn't life threatening these days

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Z125 if Im not mistaken
Z125 is Kawasaki

Edit:
This is the Honda Monkey
2019-Honda-Monkey-14.jpg

Last edited:

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
wait, you cant defend yourself from someone attacking you for your bike? What happens if you punch the guy in the face?
Someone from the UK would know more than me, but from what I have read, the attacker could sue the victim and win.

my mistake, I meant the Monkey, not the Cub.
For what it is worth, those little 125's are a lot of fun. But it is absolutely true that they wouldn't make a good first bike. They make good 2nd or 3rds, etc.

Oct 29, 2017
Someone from the UK would know more than me, but from what I have read, the attacker could sue the victim and win.

For what it is worth, those little 125's are a lot of fun. But it is absolutely true that they wouldn't make a good first bike. They make good 2nd or 3rds, etc.

1.thats some BS, can anybody clarify?

2. It would be the 3rd bike for me!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
August of '98... I was playing Starcraft and Unreal in what was one of the best gaming summers of my life. To have a brand new bike stolen does not sound like as much fun though.

It wasn't fun at the time, but I have to be honest, I didn't get hurt much from it.

At the time there were waiting lists for new Harleys, I had waited four months the year prior for that bike, so used Harley prices were very inflated and in some cases they would sell for MORE than a new Harley would. Because of that I actually got MORE money than I paid for the bike from my insurance company. To boot, the dealer felt so sorry for me that they moved me to the front of the list for the new 1999 Wide Glides, which were the first bikes to have the new Twin Cam motors. So within three weeks I had a brand new 1999 Wide Glide with a better motor plus I had money left over after it was all said and done.

Here is the bike which was stolen from me:

tgeriZf.jpg

Note this was before digital cameras and such, and my camera wasn't great. Here is the replacement Wide Glide the day I picked it up:

puKa7yR.jpg

I made out like a bandit after my bike was stolen, LOL.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

This isn't strictly true, the police define 'reasonable force' so while there's no stand your ground type rules here, if someone is threatening your life you can defend yourself

The internationally publicised case was where a farmer was imprisoned for shooting and killing someone who had broken into his property. The reason for this is the burglars were already running away when he decided to shoot them in the back as they escaped. You can look to a more recent case where a man in London killed someone who attacked him in his home with a knife, and wasn't arrested as it was deemed appropriate force

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
This isn't strictly true, the police define 'reasonable force' so while there's no stand your ground type rules here, if someone is threatening your life you can defend yourself

The internationally publicised case was where a farmer was imprisoned for shooting and killing someone who had broken into his property. The reason for this is the burglars were already running away when he decided to shoot them in the back as they escaped. You can look to a more recent case where a man in London killed someone who attacked him in his home with a knife, and wasn't arrested as it was deemed appropriate force
Aha, ok. That's good to know.

I brought my bike in to work today. It's getting a lot of attention from the older folks :)

It's kinda cool to see how different bikes attract different demographic.

Question, what kind of gear would a cruiser type rider be rocking? For example, I doubt it would be a single leather suit...???

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Aha, ok. That's good to know.

I brought my bike in to work today. It's getting a lot of attention from the older folks :)

It's kinda cool to see how different bikes attract different demographic.

Question, what kind of gear would a cruiser type rider be rocking? For example, I doubt it would be a single leather suit...???

It's like the "hot coffee" case in the US, most people get it wrong, even here :)

Gear wise I'd say, two piece plain black leather suit and non-race boots, or boots, kevlar jeans and leather jacket. But you do you really, I think the only thing that would be really out of place would be a full power-ranger single piece suit

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Still, if full racing leathers is what you feel like wearing on that Valkyrie, I say go for it. Messing with people's expectations like that is cool by default imho.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
How much vibration is really needed? Any vibration?

I've only seen anecdotal reports, would love to see things more authoritatively. Have only seen it reported on motorcycles, usually thumpers, never cars.

Still, if full racing leathers is what you feel like wearing on that Valkyrie, I say go for it. Messing with people's expectations like that is cool by default imho.

Riding bicycles/motorcycles is at least 50% dress up. Full perforated race leathers sounds like the way to go. All white, Stig style.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend seems to be interested in taking the motorcycle training course. I have never once mentioned she should ride or be interested in motorcycles, so it was a surprise. Not sure if she'll follow through, but we saw a couple of bikes that I deemed newbie friendly and that she liked (she's into naked bikes). We'll see! It could be nice to ride with her but I know from first hand experience how painful it can be sometimes haha.

Oh and the bikes she liked were the BMW G310R and the recently updated Honda CB300R.