• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
My girlfriend seems to be interested in taking the motorcycle training course. I have never once mentioned she should ride or be interested in motorcycles, so it was a surprise. Not sure if she'll follow through, but we saw a couple of bikes that I deemed newbie friendly and that she liked (she's into naked bikes). We'll see! It could be nice to ride with her but I know from first hand experience how painful it can be sometimes haha.

Oh and the bikes she liked were the BMW G310R and the recently updated Honda CB300R.

Hahah I just had this conversation with my GF...although shes setting her sights a little bit too high. Shes got quite the lady-boner for the Bonneville.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Oh and the bikes she liked were the BMW G310R and the recently updated Honda CB300R.
Those are nicely priced for new bikes with those brand pedigrees. Little worried about weight to power if you want to take them on highways, 25 lbs more than my 400cc DRZ. Someone in town has a CRF450, those are pretttty. $10k new though, lordy. $7k for a DRZ400SM.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend seems to be interested in taking the motorcycle training course. I have never once mentioned she should ride or be interested in motorcycles, so it was a surprise. Not sure if she'll follow through, but we saw a couple of bikes that I deemed newbie friendly and that she liked (she's into naked bikes). We'll see! It could be nice to ride with her but I know from first hand experience how painful it can be sometimes haha.

Nice choices for new bikes. Sounds to me like she wants to share your hobby with you, which is always good.

As someone who rides with an SO regularly I can't recommend getting some Sena units enough (other communication brands are available).

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, the BMW sold as well. This one I am kinda sad to see go, but couldn't justify hanging onto it without a commute to use it for.

Back down to a more manageable 3 (.5) bikes right now. Feels good.

For those keeping track, the current stable:

X1
Ulysses
S1 (newly acquired)
FrankenBuell (stored at my dad's)

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Oh dang the BMW too? I guess it makes sense if you're no longer commuting, it served you well. Same reason I sold my Fazer

I am really getting the itch to buy something new for 2019, especially as I need a new helmet too. I have the money but I'm kinda waiting to see what March next year brings before I make any nonessential purchases. At the moment I'm split between selling the Duc for a ~£10k 1200RS/Africa Twin, or exchanging the Duc for a £6k... something... and buying a Cub as well. Probably an older 1150 GS or maybe a Versys. I want something with Panniers and touring ability.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Oh dang the BMW too? I guess it makes sense if you're no longer commuting, it served you well. Same reason I sold my Fazer

I am really getting the itch to buy something new for 2019, especially as I need a new helmet too. I have the money but I'm kinda waiting to see what March next year brings before I make any nonessential purchases. At the moment I'm split between selling the Duc for a ~£10k 1200RS/Africa Twin, or exchanging the Duc for a £6k... something... and buying a Cub as well. Probably an older 1150 GS or maybe a Versys. I want something with Panniers and touring ability.
Interested to see what you'll choose. If I had to bet, me thinks it's going to be that 1200RS :)

Anyway, regarding the Grom. We're thinking out here we might big bore kit it. We've been thinking about it for a little while, but I'm not sure it's worth it. For one, if you big bore it, you have to upgrade the cooling system. Otherwise, you'll see failure at around 5-7k miles. So we're thinking we will just do other HP improving mods. Such as, air intake, exhaust, whatever... Hopefully gain a little more acceleration.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Oh dang the BMW too? I guess it makes sense if you're no longer commuting, it served you well. Same reason I sold my Fazer.

Yup almost 7000 miles in 6 months. It's been grand, and that thing eats miles like nothing else, but yeah... it's just too big to store comfortably and now that I'm working from home again, there's no need.

Plus, someone is actually going to pay me exactly what I paid for it. Which makes me very happy, considering how I was in a terrible rush when I bought it and maybe overpaid a bit (it's pretty ratty looking, I've seen much nicer examples go for the same price).

I would vote against the cub. They're a lot of fun, no doubt, but I would definitely put that money towards getting a new(er) 1200RS or something orange and insanely fast.

/edit: though if you are buying one of those new 125s, it should be the Monkey obviously :P

Last edited:

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Someone buy a nice KTM so I can live vicariously through them. They're so pretty. Nearest dealer is an hour away... although now that I have the truck to haul it if anything goes wrong maybe I should go do a test drive...

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Someone buy a nice KTM so I can live vicariously through them.

With Briareos on this one.

For one, if you big bore it, you have to upgrade the cooling system.

Should just be a matter of installing a larger capacity oil cooler, or any oil cooler if it doesn't have one standard, right?

Man, back in the day I used to salivate over what some of those Japanese guys had done to their Daxes and Monkeys. Full Over exhaust systems, dual brake disc setups, longer swing arms, like really trick looking stuff on a big moped.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Nearest KTM dealer to me is 45 mins away which might as well be another planet in this country. I do like them though, that's where I bought the 1150.

Problem is I am vertically challenged.... not the best fit for team Orange.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
With Briareos on this one.

Should just be a matter of installing a larger capacity oil cooler, or any oil cooler if it doesn't have one standard, right?

Man, back in the day I used to salivate over what some of those Japanese guys had done to their Daxes and Monkeys. Full Over exhaust systems, dual brake disc setups, longer swing arms, like really trick looking stuff on a big moped.
What you're saying sounds about right from what I've read. I just don't know enough yet to give you a straight answer.

Nearest KTM dealer to me is 45 mins away which might as well be another planet in this country. I do like them though, that's where I bought the 1150.

Problem is I am vertically challenged.... not the best fit for team Orange.
45 minutes is peanuts out here!! 45 minutes is how long it takes me to get to work one way!

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Hahah I just had this conversation with my GF...although shes setting her sights a little bit too high. Shes got quite the lady-boner for the Bonneville.

Oh yeah. She loved the classic Thriumps and the RnineT more than any other bike.

Those are nicely priced for new bikes with those brand pedigrees. Little worried about weight to power if you want to take them on highways, 25 lbs more than my 400cc DRZ. Someone in town has a CRF450, those are pretttty. $10k new though, lordy. $7k for a DRZ400SM.

I haven't checked stats but I'm sure they'll be fine. Or maybe I'm spoiled of how my 230 pound (fully geared) ass can do 75~ mph on the Little Versys (296cc).

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
My cousin is at school today so I decided to take out the Grom :)

img_20180830_12090667ehie9.jpg

Edit:
I was also able to find Long Way Round online here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10clzf

I haven't watched it yet but I plan on it.

Last edited:

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I didn't go to Silverstone this year (was cancelled)

I very nearly got tickets but decided against. So glad I did now.

Miller's reaction was hilarious, they always have to apologise for him swearing.

Feeling bad for the people that traveled all the way there for the race only to have it cancelled. If they don't resurface the track again to fix the bumps (they just did but failed to fix it) it probably puts future motogp races at silverstone in to reconsideration. If things keep staying on schedule over here in Finland we might have a MotoGP race here in 2020 at Kymiring (under construction at the moment).

I thought Finland was being added to next year? Regardless I'm definitely going to come over for that.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
So the problem is standing water? Does that mean they need to crown the race track?

Not sure if sarcasm/joke haha.

I liked my new Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag. I noticed it was a little larger than the I one I actually saw the other day but it still fits the bike pretty well (plus extra space). I'm still not sure I mounted it correctly so I might need to youtube some videos to be sure.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we'll be moving into EtcetEra soon. Still gonna be the coolest thread on the site

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like the 'entertainment' forum concept, but I've never liked the shovelling of threads into a big community subforum, especially when they have maybe a dozen or so regular posters like this. Sooo, good for us

As long as everyone remembers the unspoken rule - always enable everyone's crippling motorcycle habit

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
I keep forgetting to do this, but I finally remembered while on my pc. I wanted to give a shout out to the Front End Chatter podcast, so far it's the only motorcycle podcast I'm listening to but it's been good enough that I haven't bothered to look elsewhere yet. It's two British bike journalists talking about everything bike related and about moto gp, British- and world super bikes.

You can find it at http://www.frontendchatter.com/ or www.bikesocial.co.uk

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting to do this, but I finally remembered while on my pc. I wanted to give a shout out to the Front End Chatter podcast, so far it's the only motorcycle podcast I'm listening to but it's been good enough that I haven't bothered to look elsewhere yet. It's two British bike journalists talking about everything bike related and about moto gp, British- and world super bikes.

You can find it at http://www.frontendchatter.com/ or www.bikesocial.co.uk

Awesome thanks for the recommendation. I particularly listen to Adventure Rider Radio but it's mostly about ADV riding and touring.

OP
OP
Gritesh

Gritesh

Oct 25, 2017
Well the season is drawing to a close for me here in Canada.

Lately the weather has been dipping below freezing points over night again, which leads to frost on the roads in the morning.

I can't believe how fast summer went by, I unfortunately did not get out very much this summer on my bike, and I deeply regret it.

Hope everyone is having a great riding season so far, lately I have been thinking about selling my Superduke 1290 and getting a GS or a Super Adventure.

I don't know, I am torn, I am at the age where a sportbike is still fun for me and my buddies are all riding them, but my interest in the sport is slowly shifting away from being uncomfortable and having sore writs, to being comfortable and 'adventurous'.

img_20180428_143225ayd5g.jpg

SYO4jDJ

Obligatory picture of my bike finally.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I'd keep the bike and buy an adventure one for distance and dirt roads. 2 bikes is okay but 4 is ideal.

If you only want one, I'm a big proponent of the adv world (even thought I've yet to do it properly — soon!). I hear the KTMs and the Multistrada feel very sportlike though.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I am torn, I am at the age where a sportbike is still fun for me and my buddies are all riding them, but my interest in the sport is slowly shifting away from being uncomfortable and having sore writs, to being comfortable and 'adventurous'.

You sound like me, we even have the same class of bike (SuperDuke vs Monster 1200). I find myself less interested in quick countryside blasts than I am in going out for a proper explore for a day or three. I'm not sure its because I'm getting older, probably more because after having my license for 7 years now the novelty of riding around for an hour has pretty much worn off, now I'm looking for "experiences"

I think it helps that with modern technology, a GS, Multistrada, Africa Twin, whatever are all more than enough power for the road and will do regular highway speeds with ample power to spare. It doesn't feel like so much of a compromise... except on looks!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
For me it's time; I'm either commuting or looking to do a proper trip, I don't really have a few hours to tool around during the week/end anymore. Yesterday was my first day off in three weeks and I spent half of it throwing hay bales into a barn...

Gonna struggle with the idea of keeping the SV650 as fall season approaches its end here, too, just a pain to store three bikes given we haven't built the barn yet.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
For me it's time; I'm either commuting or looking to do a proper trip, I don't really have a few hours to tool around during the week/end anymore. Yesterday was my first day off in three weeks and I spent half of it throwing hay bales into a barn...

Gonna struggle with the idea of keeping the SV650 as fall season approaches its end here, too, just a pain to store three bikes given we haven't built the barn yet.
What are your other two bikes?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

I came to that conclusion at a fairly young age. Think I was 31 when I bought the Ulysses. The beauty of it is that many of those bikes, if anyhing, will allow you to be sportier for longer than your sportsbike riding buddies. Plus, long travel suspension is straight up faster in real world conditions. At least, that's what I find.

Still, it would take a helluva package to tear me away from a Superduke if I owned one.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
DRZ400SM (super-moto, urban commuter) and DL1000 (tourer, highway commuter).
Have you done anything to that DRZ400SM in mods?

I came to that conclusion at a fairly young age. Think I was 31 when I bought the Ulysses. The beauty of it is that many of those bikes, if anyhing, will allow you to be sportier for longer than your sportsbike riding buddies. Plus, long travel suspension is straight up faster in real world conditions. At least, that's what I find.

Still, it would take a helluva package to tear me away from a Superduke if I owned one.
I was just going to say there's a fairly recent Eric Buell "documentary" on YouTube. It helped me understand the situation with HD and Buell a little bit better. The man himself was very impressive. Anything he put out was always better than the last. Unfortunately, most of it was before my time. He made a surprising number of Buell models.

Oct 29, 2017
So i finally went on a little quicky tour this weekend to Yosemite. Its the first time Ive had the Versys fully loaded down with the side cases full,top case full, and the special lady friend in tow. Bike performed like a champ but I seem to have a very slow coolant leak at the water pump that I never noticed before. Other than that the bike carries its weight very well above 5 mph.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Have you done anything to that DRZ400SM in mods?

I was just going to say there's a fairly recent Eric Buell "documentary" on YouTube. It helped me understand the situation with HD and Buell a little bit better. The man himself was very impressive. Anything he put out was always better than the last. Unfortunately, most of it was before my time. He made a surprising number of Buell models.

Yeah, reading about some of the adversity he faced during the Buell era, it really is astounding what they achieved. Sadly most of it before my time too. The S1 I bought a few weeks ago was made when I was 13 years old. Playing Diablo and Duke 3D around that time mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFAyQFImf-g

The 999S is the clear winner IMO, even if it explodes

It's probably because their content hits me right in the niche, or the motorcycle fetish, but I can laugh at their videos like nothing else.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting a 50cc, a Honda Metropolitan specifically, as a commuter to and from work and college(which are the same place). It's within 6 miles. I live in Texas. Do you guys recommend something like this as my first bike? I don't plan on going on long trips or anything nor highway driving. Just grocery store, work, school, and anything close.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
50cc is absolutely fine as a first bike, as long as you don't plan on going faster than 40mph or so. Metropolitan looks like a nice looking scoot too

If the flow of traffic on your route is faster than that I would recommend maybe looking at a 125cc scoot, it still won't be quick but any legal speeds outside of the highway will be attainable, and they're absolutely fine for a beginner.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
50cc is absolutely fine as a first bike, as long as you don't plan on going faster than 40mph or so. Metropolitan looks like a nice looking scoot too

If the flow of traffic on your route is faster than that I would recommend maybe looking at a 125cc scoot, it still won't be quick but any legal speeds outside of the highway will be attainable, and they're absolutely fine for a beginner.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah. I plan on staying to 35-40 MPH roads so I think a 50cc should be okay then? I think from there, if I enjoy it, I'll upgrade to a higher cc.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
My only concern with a 50 is if you end up going a lot slower than surrounding traffic, but if that's not a concern on your commute I say go for it. No need for extra speed you won't be using.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
One of the nice things about 50cc scooters in the US is that you can ride them in many states without a motorcycle amendment (!).

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK the primary reason to get a 50cc scooter is you can ride one at 16 with only a 4 hour course

I'm 31 and I still want a Honda Ruckus though. Coolest 50cc ever made

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting a 50cc, a Honda Metropolitan specifically, as a commuter to and from work and college(which are the same place). It's within 6 miles. I live in Texas. Do you guys recommend something like this as my first bike? I don't plan on going on long trips or anything nor highway driving. Just grocery store, work, school, and anything close.
I've been looking to buy my first scooter (150cc Honda or Piaggio).

For your needs, 50cc seems fine — I'd just double check speed limits on your routes. Won't be fun on any roads faster than 35mph

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a little here, but winter is the best time of year to get a good deal on a bike, right? I'll be returning home (Florida) from abroad around Dec-Feb. I'm hoping to score a good deal on a small cruiser, like the the Rebel 500.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a little here, but winter is the best time of year to get a good deal on a bike, right? I'll be returning home (Florida) from abroad around Dec-Feb. I'm hoping to score a good deal on a small cruiser, like the the Rebel 500.

Yeah, seems like winter is a good time to buy. Tail end of summer when the rainy season starts up hard and there's 6 months of cool weather ahead also seems to be a good time to look for sales.

Rebel 500 is an awesome bike, minus the seat. If you go that route, I'd recommend getting it reupholstered or putting a spring-style seat it, the factory one is too hard.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, I made a visit back in America and made sure to give it a sit to get a feel for it. The seat was def on the shallow side.