• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Always feels like a bad time to sell a bike. So buying has to be good in winter. Though it doesn't affect the price much if you're not good at negotiating.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hagglin isn't my strong area. Any negotiating tips? One advantage: I can probably buy it cash in hand.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Hagglin isn't my strong area. Any negotiating tips? One advantage: I can probably buy it cash in hand.

With a dealer or an individual? Individual will of course expect cashier's check. Dealers, it's not clear they actually care about cash because I believe they can be incentivized to do financing as they make a small bonus on it.

When I go into buy used I want to know market rate on similar bikes from CL/etc., and set a price in my head. Then have my local shop mechanics inspect it and let me know how much work I'm in for, and then knock most of that off of the price. And then, the most important thing, be prepared to walk.

For dealers buying new I just call up, tell them I'm calling around for prices on a specific model, ask for their best price. Good dealers will ask what numbers you've already heard and then beat them by a few hundred. Thank them, hang up, repeat until best price. Then I go in and cut a check, end of story. That's with cars, though; with bikes I only really have one local shop and I know the owner well and he always cuts me a deal. You can tell most shops are really motivated to get rid of stock before the winter because they don't want to have to make interest payments on them for six months until buyer interest picks back up again.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Yup, I learned this only when I really was prepared to walk on a bike, not expecting that move to cause the seller to accept my low ball offer.
Not sure if I've told this story before, but I was in Morocco many years ago at a soukh, just standing there milling about while my girlfriend was shopping. Guy behind the table saw me just peering at things and tried to sell me this nicely carved wooden box of dominoes for let's say 150 dinars. "No no, I'm not shopping, I'm just waiting for my 'wife'." He starts dropping the price, I'm just standing there, "no really I'm not shopping", this goes on for a few minutes, eventually the thing is like 25 dinars (3 usd) and I go "okay, sure, for 25 dinars why not."

I'm not sure if the lesson is that I got him or he got me, but it was pretty amusing nonetheless.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to haggle my price in California and it was a no go on dealers. I couldn't blame them since the Bay Area is expensive as shit.

One dealer was actually very rude because I said I was looking for the best price and he gave me a speech about how all of them need to make money and can't give away stuff. I said he clearly wasn't interested in my money so I hung up on him.

I ended up buying with the intitial dealership cuz they treated me right, they were close, and had a service station that eventually set me up on all my farkles and they did a great job, no regrets.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Misano looks super close

KtlkRhi.png

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't haggle on the price of my cmx500, but that's because the guy was selling it for 2500 under market value with only 1500km on the clock. Already set it up with like 2k worth of accessories too. He was too tall for the bike and desperately wanted to buy his mate's Harley, so he priced it to sell.

With a dealer or an individual? Individual will of course expect cashier's check.

This is so strange to me, but cash rules supreme in the land down under. I've always bought and sold cars/bikes in cash here. I wouldn't trust a cheque.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably be buying new from a dealer. As mentioned before, I'm looking at the '17-'18 Rebel 500. Looks like suggested retail price would be around $6000 USD. Realistically, what should I expect to pay for a new one, out the door?

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably be buying new from a dealer. As mentioned before, I'm looking at the '17-'18 Rebel 500. Looks like suggested retail price would be around $6000 USD. Realistically, what should I expect to pay for a new one, out the door?

It really depends where you live. Many times they offer the bike below MSRP unless a just released model. Fees is what can change dramatically the price for a cheap bike like the rebel, I would say realistically worst case add extra $800 in fees from the price they offer you. Ask for OTD price. Try to negotiate that.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, didnt actually watch the Moto2 race, but he could have killed him.
No wonder he was fired from the VR46 team.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
So my last days of riding this year started. Mid next week will start my 3-month hiatus from driving anything. I could cry. I hope for a mild December.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Guy should have his race license stripped away for that. No need for it, they weren't even fighting for a win, or anywhere close.

It's definitely about time for me to change bikes. Unfortunately, uncertainties at work keep me from dropping the cash. I might be in the position to change at the start of next season, though.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Guy should have his race license stripped away for that. No need for it, they weren't even fighting for a win, or anywhere close.

It's definitely about time for me to change bikes. Unfortunately, uncertainties at work keep me from dropping the cash. I might be in the position to change at the start of next season, though.
Uhh anything special in mind?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
And those are not as tall as the KTMs?

~83.5cm vs ~86cm. Makes the difference between balls of the feet on the floor and tiptoes for me, unfortunately. I'll never be able to flat foot most bikes but if I can get the balls of my feet on the floor I'm generally fine, just have to plan my stops a little more carefully than taller folk

A KTM could work but I'd have to go for a lower seat

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
~83.5cm vs ~86cm. Makes the difference between balls of the feet on the floor and tiptoes for me, unfortunately. I'll never be able to flat foot most bikes but if I can get the balls of my feet on the floor I'm generally fine, just have to plan my stops a little more carefully than taller folk

A KTM could work but I'd have to go for a lower seat
I think you'll be okay. You only really need one foot to be on the ground. The other, presumably the right foot, could stay on the foot peg/rear brake.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll be okay. You only really need one foot to be on the ground. The other, presumably the right foot, could stay on the foot peg/rear brake.

That IS to get one foot on the ground ;-)

The Multistrada 950 is 84cm and that was okay with only one foot down, but anything more is pushing it for me. As it was I had to get off that bike to park it. Africa Twin is, I think, around 83 which would be great.

Of course it also depends on the seat profile and weight of bike. I've ridden "low" bikes that I actually had more trouble riding than taller, lighter machines with a narrow seat profile.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017

The team fired him today so good riddance, I highly doubt anyone in moto 3 or moto 2 wants to hire him after that trick.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have experience buying used bike in texas? Trying to figure out logistics of transferring title and getting it home legally. I have motorcycle license, I know I'll need to get insurance before riding -- it's the temp plates that confuse me. Texas DMV site says transit paper plates are for cars/trucks only but doesn't explain what to do with motorcycles. Does tax office give temp plates when you transfer title? Then I could drive it home?

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Anybody have experience buying used bike in texas? Trying to figure out logistics of transferring title and getting it home legally. I have motorcycle license, I know I'll need to get insurance before riding -- it's the temp plates that confuse me. Texas DMV site says transit paper plates are for cars/trucks only but doesn't explain what to do with motorcycles. Does tax office give temp plates when you transfer title? Then I could drive it home?
What state are you in?
Edit:
Just asking if you're buying from out of state. Seem like you're not.
Anyway, is it a private sale or from a dealer? If it's a private sell, then you must find a way to get the bike to your location before you title it. Once at the DMV, they should give you temp tags or they might give you hard tags if they have em. If it's from a dealer, they should do the DMV paperwork for you.

Edit 2:
Getting the bike to your location usually means the person you're buying from may have to let you use his tags. You do have to return them though. They're his after all.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Just got aafender eliminator kit for the Grom. I also have bar end mirrors and I'm going to install a battery tender phone charger thingy. I'm eager to install it all myself but it is raining now and will be for the entire week. We're under a hurricane threat for the next few days. Damn timing!!!

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017

I got my hard plates when I registered and transferred the title from California to Texas. But I was the owner, only moved states.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Not the best picture but it'll do. It's so freaking wet outside. I got sucked by a thousand mosquitos. Ugh. Think of the bar end mirrors as there for legal purposes only. They do the job, just barely. I do like how the original mirrors are gone from my peripheral vision though.

tgHySNVr.jpg

Minor performance mods are coming. Just not yet. Cosmetics only for now.

Oct 29, 2017
So after dicking around with cheaper ADV/Touring/4 season jackets (Alpinestar Santa Fe and Oxford Montreal 3.0) I bit the bullet and spent some cash on this (which is still cheap by some ADV gear standard, $1600 Klims, Im looking at you!)

Olympia X Moto 2:
olympia_x_moto2_jacket.jpg

I'll post up some impressions when it comes tomorrow.

BTW congratz on the Grom Microsoft, I want one of those things so bad! Yours is pretty slick.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
So after dicking around with cheaper ADV/Touring/4 season jackets (Alpinestar Santa Fe and Oxford Montreal 3.0) I bit the bullet and spent some cash on this (which is still cheap by some ADV gear standard, $1600 Klims, Im looking at you!)

Olympia X Moto 2:
olympia_x_moto2_jacket.jpg

I'll post up some impressions when it comes tomorrow.

BTW congratz on the Grom Microsoft, I want one of those things so bad! Yours is pretty slick.
Thanks buddy. It's actually not mine but I can totally ride it. It's my cousins.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Bought my first go-fast part for the ZRX yesterday: the top end off a ZX11. Gonna swap the cams from it, but I think I'm gonna wait until I buy a pipe/filter/jets so I do it all at once.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So I might be finally buying a new 2018 blue DCT Goldwing Tour in the next few days.

Tonight, one of the dealers I've been haggling with offered me the best deal I've gotten yet. Best price on the bike price I've seen plus a very good trade in value for my '16 RGU too.

I'm going over there Saturday at the latest, but if I can swing it I'm going one night this week. If it sells before I get there then I'll just keep shopping, if not then I'm likely doing the deal!

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a 2013 Honda PCX 150 with only 1187 miles for $1700 -- basically in perfect condition, stored covered. Oil is over a year old though -- just hadn't been ridden that much. I'm gonna change it asap, but it'll take a bit for it to arrive. Would it be bad for me to ride it much in the meantime? First bike so want to get practice in.

Last edited:

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
The first few oil changes are pretty important in terms of engine wear and oil is cheap. I would change it, but I also try to change all the fluids in a vehicle that I just bought. Easy insurance on my part.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I change my oil every 2 years if i dont get a lot of miles in so it should be fine

Yup, I do this too, but on a new vehicle I change it immediately. In this case JustinP I would do it especially because you are not sure it's had the run-in oil change (at 500 or 600 miles).

Cheap insurance and you start with a new baseline for maintenance.

(that's not to say you can't do a few laps around the parking lot)

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Noob question for you all:

I bought an air pump (cyclepump expedition) that I need to connect to my battery to use. I get connecting the red clamp to the positive outlet, but what about the black clamp one that should go to ground? Does the negative outlet from the battery do the work or do I need to plug it to a tube or whatever that can "ground" it?

Oct 29, 2017
Noob question for you all:

I bought an air pump (cyclepump expedition) that I need to connect to my battery to use. I get connecting the red clamp to the positive outlet, but what about the black clamp one that should go to ground? Does the negative outlet from the battery do the work or do I need to plug it to a tube or whatever that can "ground" it?

Are those the only wires on it? Positive and ground? if its a ground wire you should be able to ground it on the frame.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I do this too, but on a new vehicle I change it immediately. In this case JustinP I would do it especially because you are not sure it's had the run-in oil change (at 500 or 600 miles).

Cheap insurance and you start with a new baseline for maintenance.

(that's not to say you can't do a few laps around the parking lot)
Yeah I was gonna do it asap either way, was more a matter of whether I avoided driving it in the meantime. He did get the initial service after 500 miles so it's not running factory oil or whatever. Thanks for the answers everyone. Now if only it'd stop raining :(