• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I are big British comedy buffs so even though the lad/hooligan bend of 44T is not quite up our alley we still enjoy it.
At the end of the day Regular Car Reviews is actually still my favorite automotive/motorcycle review site.

I agree, RCR does awesome bike reviews.

Since I live close to him I should offer up my 2018 Goldwing for him to review.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll crash the party and say I find Ari Henning and Zack Courts' On Two Wheels a more enjoyable production. Sucks they're moving behind a paywall.

Yeah they do good work too. I absolutely loved their comparison vid between the 2018 Goldwing and BMW K1600 Grand America:

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I accidentally clicked the 'Hangouts' tab and am glad I did, because I never knew this thread existed. Definitely adding it to my watch list!

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Around 1500-2000€. Its really expensive here but after you did your license you really are able to ride on every road here.
I still cann remember the lesson where I hit 180 km/h on the Autobahn for the first time. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that annoyed me about that was that Chris was only upset he got caught. 64 over the limit on a narrow mountain road is irresponsible as fuck

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, I'm not even gonna pretend to tut tut him for that. It's the whole point of mountain roads.

Though remind me to never speed in Switzerland. Christ.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Was thinking about the amount of speeding and what some of my own worst transgressions have been in that area, but I can't say I have looked down at the dials much when I was last at it around the Ventoux... it's a bit hard to say.

I've probably hit close to 144 in similar zones/circumstances, but I can't be sure. The X1 isn't entirely accurate either (it's like a full 10% over due to some sprocket being changed somewhere). The upside is that there isn't that much more in there when you're going 150, so it will probably happen a lot less often than on Chris's 150 bhp+ monster of a bike.

Still, Doug, I can't imagine you bought your Monster (also a 150- something horsepower bike) to never use any of the delicious offerings it has on tap or do you have it in you to resist temptation?

Maybe I'm just a bad, bad man.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I resist temptation, most I've done on it is enough over the limit on a motorway to get past traffic without creating an elephant race, nothing out of the ordinary for traffic flow in England

Country roads like that here are mostly the 60mph and while I can't say I'd always stick to that (even the UK police course advises you to use it as a guideline), I certainly wouldn't be going 90 in a 50 zone as Baron was, heck, bikers have gone to prison for hitting 100 over here

The way I see it the UK has plenty of world class racetracks if I want to fully embrace the power of my Testastretta! Or head to the Isle of Man where there are no speed limits at all outside of residential areas

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
A 3500 euro fine though? The only way I see that being fair is if they have a progressive system that bases the fine on income (putting the Baron in a higher bracket).

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Switzerland has this system for fines. I would have gladly payed 3500€ instead of my 3 lonely months.

In addition to the fine he was also banned from driving there for three months.

but Norway pips them in both per capita and per vehicle. Looks like Norway indeed has enormous fines also, including 10% per capita, jail time, etc. Seems like people respond to the incentives...

Which is kinda interesting, seeing as how that kind of deterrence doesn't seem to work with capital punishment and (violent) crime.

Though there's probably also other factors at work here. Maybe better training for instance.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't speed if possible, but that's mainly because my job relies on driving and going anywhere over 40kmh is an immediate heavy fine, 3-6 month "road vehicle" license suspension and risk having your car/bike impounded for the duration of the suspension or permanently. They don't fuck around here.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
I try not to go more than 30kph over the limit when speeding. More than that and the fines will get a lot more serious over here.

I thought Switzerland has this system for fines. I would have gladly payed 3500€ instead of my 3 lonely months.
You went to prison for speeding?

Last edited:

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Which is kinda interesting, seeing as how that kind of deterrence doesn't seem to work with capital punishment and (violent) crime.

Though there's probably also other factors at work here.

Yeah, the empirical modelling of deterrence of violent crime, and the effectiveness thereof, is based around an entirely different set of assumptions (prison, awareness, etc.). From this interesting summary:

To clarify the relationship between the severity of punishment and the deterrence of future crimes, you need to understand:

The lack of any "chastening" effect from prison sentences,
That prisons may exacerbate recidivism,
The different impacts of the certainty versus the severity of punishment on deterrence, and
That individuals grow out of criminal activity as they age.

Anyway! Fun hearing Lehigh Valley where I grew up:

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally stopped raining so I dragged the bike out for the first time in 2 weeks, it was nice. I work at a parts store that primarily caters to cars, but I still had a few ninjas and a hornet come in for some light bulbs, oil and filters this morning. Seems like everyone else is getting out while the sunshine lasts, too.

Got the usual comments of "what is that bike parked outside?" Guess rebels or cmx500s aren't common knowledge yet. I've seen a few stock 500s riding around, but not even close to the amount of street 500s, Vstars or Vulcans I see.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The parking area for cars at the massive shopping centre is full, yet this is the state of the bike parking.

Makes you wonder why more people don't use them, considering the dozens of cars I walked by that were creeping along looking for a free space.

76763774-BB57-4175-B7-BF-90-D3-CE09-C488.jpg

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Finally stopped raining so I dragged the bike out for the first time in 2 weeks, it was nice. I work at a parts store that primarily caters to cars, but I still had a few ninjas and a hornet come in for some light bulbs, oil and filters this morning. Seems like everyone else is getting out while the sunshine lasts, too.

Got the usual comments of "what is that bike parked outside?" Guess rebels or cmx500s aren't common knowledge yet. I've seen a few stock 500s riding around, but not even close to the amount of street 500s, Vstars or Vulcans I see.
I think the Revel 500 is an underestimated bike. I know the engine through my time with my CB500F. Its so awesomely balanced. Most chipper riders are only thinking in 1000c+ dimensions.

Dougald

You are right, I didn't consider his local ban.

I finally got my best friend into the rooms of a driving school. He fell in love with a '95 DR800 BIG. Now we have to find a good one for him.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Makes you wonder why more people don't use them, considering the dozens of cars I walked by that were creeping along looking for a free space.

When I was still commuting daily earlier this year I couldn't understand it either. Yeah I suppose dealing with shit weather and gearing up is a bit of a hassle, but being liberated from all that damn traffic is totally worth it.

Adding this to the OP couldn't hurt :P.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Those of you with more knowledge, I'm not getting desirable mileage from my Valk. Is it because it is still in the break in period or am I just driving too aggressively? I do tend to ride it a bit harder than my KLR. I'm still getting 35mpg but I should be seeing 40mpg. On bigger displacements motorcycles, is gas mileage more noticeable depending on your throttle?

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
That's like 6.75 l /100 km for our metric crowd.

That's pretty high for Avg. I would have thought that this bike would be able to hit 5l/100km.
Yeah, crazy good mileage considering.

Is 40 mpg what the factory says it should get?
I can't remember where I saw it but it's in my brain now. But going by this, seems the average is 40mpg. Look at the 2014 year. http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/gl1800_valkyrie

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm that also shows there is at least one other Valkyrie that also gets 35 mpg.

Tbh, it doesn't seem that bad for a huge 6cyl engine.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Hmm that also shows there is at least one other Valkyrie that also gets 35 mpg.

Tbh, it doesn't seem that bad for a huge 6cyl engine.
I'm just fussing a little bit because it's a bit worse gas mileage than my KLR. I'll keep an eye on it though. Despite the same gas tank size. I do tend to ride a bit different and a bit more aggressive. I have to keep an eye on things, there's gotta be something I'm doing drastically different.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CBR or R1?

Or Iron 883 or Softail Slim S? (I wish)

I can remove my 660cc restriction in January and I seriously feel like upgrading, even though I do still enjoy the cmx.

2-D7-EC602-E9-E6-495-E-84-C5-F8-A78-B88-F547.jpg

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I would recommend a "standard" or a naked bike with a two or three cyl engine. Either that or a touring type bike with balls and not too much weight.

As for the CBR and R1, they are relatively uncomfortable for longer stretches at legal speeds. They are also fairly uninteresting to ride at legal speeds. Better than 600s (4 cyls) because they have more torque, but you'll still want more out of that rev range and get in trouble quick.

Iron 883 is cool, love the engine, but I don't think it will handle as well as your Honda. Get a Buell if you want a Sportster engine in a bike that is also fun to ride.

Though all of these are my highly personal feelings on the matter. Best way to find out is to do some testing for yourself.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
1. i don't know what 5'9 exactly means but I'm 185cm (I think it's 6'something) tall and had no problems regarding the height of the seat. My wife is 170cm and she was able to sit perfectly on the bike. Tiptoeing but in a stable way.

2. my height was the problem for me. My knee angle was to extrem for longer rides. I really loved the bike 765 RS but this was a mayor problem for me. When you are looking for the 765 the R version is sufficient when you are not wanting to hit the track. It is really an awesome bike and I can tell you, I miss the STR. My Current XSR 900 is still the better ergonomic choice for me. Six weeks to go. I'm hoping for a mild winter.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. i don't know what 5'9 exactly means but I'm 185cm (I think it's 6'something) tall and had no problems regarding the height of the seat. My wife is 170cm and she was able to sit perfectly on the bike. Tiptoeing but in a stable way.

2. my height was the problem for me. My knee angle was to extrem for longer rides. I really loved the bike 765 RS but this was a mayor problem for me. When you are looking for the 765 the R version is sufficient when you are not wanting to hit the track. It is really an awesome bike and I can tell you, I miss the STR. My Current XSR 900 is still the better ergonomic choice for me. Six weeks to go. I'm hoping for a mild winter.

Oh sorry, I just convert metric to imperial because most people on this site are Americans haha, I believe 5'9 is 175cm, which is my height.

Ahh okay, I understand the height stuff. The reason I got my cmx500 cheap was that the dude who bought it was too tall for it and it'd hurt his knees and hips on trips longer than 30 mins and he was only like 12cm taller than me.

Thanks for the info though, appreciated.