• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, so. Did another session yesterday. It's STILL not finished, but we're almost there now. For really real this time.

We installed both the front and rear brake. Including the time it took to clean and refurbish the calipers, the brakes - I think - took up about four or five days of our time. It really was a massive job. Worth it though. They look almost like new and they feel fuckin great. Here's some shots:

Pistons back in:
20190522_120053etjkk.jpg

Front caliper back on. Even this wasn't easy. Brake pads didn't fit properly and we had to sand down the sides a little. All good now though. I like how it has this steam-punky/art-deco kinda look to it with that pegasus and old school PM logo on there:
20190522_124203plkxs.jpg

After routing the line and fitting new banjo bolts, fluid in:
20190522_14450360ji3.jpg

Low-tech bleeding system:
20190522_144623t6kdk.jpg

And the same for the rear:
20190522_17325816kjv.jpg

Finished product with new braided line, banjo bolt + washers:
20190522_1742536kk6t.jpg

Microsoft as you can tell, we used a very simple system to bleed the brakes. After everything's buttoned up, you simply put the fluid in the container up top. Make sure it's the right fluid. Mixing dot 4 with 5 is probably what caused my brakes to gum up this badly. You then connect either your low tech vacuum syringe thing with fitting hose to the bleeding valve (or use a proper brake bleeder), open the valve and apply suction to drain air and pull fluid through the system. Each time you suck air and fluid from the valve, close it again, dump the extra fluid in an additional container and reconnect the hose. Rinse and repeat this for 15 or 20 times or so. Keep track of the level in the brake fluid container up top, make sure it doesn't run out. After you've gotten most of the fluid in and air out of the system, you can do it again (drain fluid and air by opening the valve), but then you use the brake lever (the pump itself) to push fluid through the system. I guess this is when you really start pressurizing the system. My dad told me to not start like this (but instead start simply by applying suction with the syringe) because using the lever causes increased wear on the pump as it were. I just took his word for it :P. So, you do this a few times (using the brake lever, building up pressure, and opening the valve again to release hopefully the last few portions of brake fluid with air bubbles until everything feels firm), close the valve, fill up the container to a good level and close everything up. That should be it.

I think the vacuum bleeding method is probably a little easier with a proper brake bleeding system, but I imagine the process itself is largely the same as what I described.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I had a full vacuum hand-pump for brake bleeding and it was shit, I just do the old "pump the lever" technique these days

I should have just bought a syringe, clearly!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's the idea. Apparently it's better for all the gaskets and tiny rubber bits in there. Start using the lever only once you're already quite a ways there.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well so apparently cheap Chinese mopeds are just that. Crank case cover is busted after 4 days lol. Ordering a new one but I gotta get the electric start working or I imagine it will just happen again.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
The helmet I bought when RevZilla had a sale was put to the test today. Gosh, it's so pretty in person. I'm going to go ahead and match the rest of my gear to the color of the bike as well! It is very tight right now, but it will be okay when it breaks in.

rAchSpi.jpg

Had to use it because my cousin dropped the SV650 and bent the shifter and broke the end of the shift lever. Let's just go with, "he turned that really long lever into a short shifter". Agree?
Anyway, I just bent the shifter back, test rode it and all is good. No significant damage, it was dropped on the grass.

So, my cousin has dropped my KLR650, the Grom, and the SV650. Drops among all bikes, 4 times.

All but 3 times were on grass and none were while the engine was in gear... I'm not letting him anywhere near the Valk.

Eh wasn't starting so partly my fault. Didn't notice fuel line somehow got disconnected. Still ridiculous it busted like that on a kick start.
Hopefully it's an easy fix and you can get back on the road.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
Had to use it because my cousin dropped the SV650 and bent the shifter and broke the end of the shift lever. Let's just go with, "he turned that really long lever into a short shifter". Agree?
Anyway, I just bent the shifter back, test rode it and all is good. No significant damage, it was dropped on the grass.

So, my cousin has dropped my KLR650, the Grom, and the SV650. Drops among all bikes, 4 times.

All but 3 times were on grass and none were while the engine was in gear... I'm not letting him anywhere near the Valk.
The hell? I wouldn't let this guy anywhere near my stuff, period. How do you drop a Grom?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Which Arai is that? It's new helmet for me in June, I'm thinking of a Chaser X or QV Pro now that I know the Schuberth is a terrible fit for my head. (believe the QV is known as the Signet-X across the pond)

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Microsoft Which Arai is that? It's new helmet for me in June, I'm thinking of a Chaser X or QV Pro now that I know the Schuberth is a terrible fit for my head. (believe the QV is known as the Signet-X across the pond)
It's the "Quantun X Stinger". Only used it for less than 15 mins but I quite liked it.

The hell? I wouldn't let this guy anywhere near my stuff, period. How do you drop a Grom?
Both the Grom and the SV650 are his. He just loses balance when we have to park the bikes in the back yard. The one time I ever dropped the KLR650 myself was when I was backing it up to the shed that was made for parking the bikes. Pretty sure I wrote about it on Neogaf. It's a bitch back there. Especially for my 752 pound Valkyrie. People drop bikes. It happens, plus, he's 17...

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
My Ulysses tipped over once when I was giving it a wash. Still holding out hope that didn't count as dropping it.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
My dog is the one to blame.

BTTEu7t.jpg

She's the one that makes the holes in the backyard which make life a little bit harder than it needs to be.

These are right in front of the shed. You close one, 3 more pop up.

K7eKEsy.jpg

My Ulysses tipped over once when I was giving it a wash. Still holding out hope that didn't count as dropping it.
Hmmmm... Well, you're not supposed to use a fire hydrant to wash a bike. jk

It wasn't the blue translucent one you had a while back, right?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, glad to see someone else has the same trouble with their dog. Though mine has dug less of a hole and more of a 'pit' that he likes to sit in

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmmm... Well, you're not supposed to use a fire hydrant to wash a bike. jk

That would've been great actually. That was when I still needed to carry buckets of water two floors down from my apartment. A mortgage sucks, but life is better with a driveway and a tap to connect a hose to.

It wasn't the blue translucent one you had a while back, right?

No, it was the yellow adventury looking one. Parked it at an angle that turned out to be slightly too optimistic. When I turned the wheel and worked on the left side of the bike it tipped right.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
My driveway is on a slope, My old Fazer once rolled off the side stand while I was washing it, you dont make that mistake twice!

And yes, mortgages suck, especially in Britain, but there are some benefits. I'm now using one of those pressure washer attachments that covers your vehicle in foam, it's awesome. Like a slightly shittier version of the self-washing machines at some garages, but without the insane water pressure that once left me stranded for an hour until my Triumph dried out

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Fallout-NL, that color was definitely my favorite, can't believe you sold it!!

Speaking of washes, I found one place where I could take my bike to wash. One of those "self serving" places. Only problem is that it takes me $10 worth of time to wash my bike. I have to bring that down a bit to make it justifiable.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

Just saw this on Reddit, looks like preparations for the TT are well underway. One year I'll get out there for it, but you wouldn't believe the cost just to pitch a tent in a field for the week, not to mention the ferry crossings during race week. It would be nice as my Mum grew up in Northern England and used to go across in her dads hand-built aluminium sidecar for the races in the 1950's. Back when it was really niche.

- that's a public road, that guy is just a regular dude with huge balls
- in Britain that road would usually be 60mph, but the IoM isn't technically in Britain so it actually has no speed limit

I'm pretty sure more bikers die riding the Mountain during TT week while its open to the public than competitors during the races. Unsurprisingly.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
@Fallout-NL, that color was definitely my favorite, can't believe you sold it!!

Yeah, it definitely was pretty. Which is why I bought it without even a testride. That was a mistake though. It had the newer engine, and while the newer is more reliable it's also a lot less fun than the older versions. Didn't find out about that until after I bought it obviously. Two: something was wrong with it and it ran like crap. Never figured out what the problem was, and neither did the guy who bought it off me I think. Which is why he has now sold it as well I reckon (saw in on the local craigslist variant last month). Three: it was the low 'scg' version. Not enough suspension travel to give you the comfort you want while maintaining composure at speed.

It just wasn't a good bike sadly.

but without the insane water pressure that once left me stranded for an hour until my Triumph dried out

I'm imagining a phone call where the guy tells you you actually can't let it get wet.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Also, good news everyone!

It works. Just 10 seconds on account of the break-in procedure. Will post a longer video soon. Putting the finishing touches on the bike Wednesday probably.
Wow! That's awesome. I can tell your dad is a great person. The bike is looking really good too!

It surprisingly sounds a lot like a Harley. I'm having a hard time figuring out why my liking to HD's is growing. It might have a lot to do with the sound...

Are the English subtitles accurate? Did you add the English subtitles?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
That rear shock placement is awesome. I mean, I imagine it doesn't do much for the longevity of the part, but the balls on Eric Buell. I'm sure he had a perfectly rational reason for it and it makes the handling 10x better

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Wow! That's awesome. I can tell your dad is a great person. The bike is looking really good too!

It surprisingly sounds a lot like a Harley. I'm having a hard time figuring out why my liking to HD's is growing. It might have a lot to do with the sound...

It's a Harley engine so it makes sense ;) .

I got a thing for Buells when a friend of mine in high school got an XB9 SX, that was such a cool looking motorcycle. I definitely considered a Buell before buying my Speed Triple but I felt too uncertain about the reliability and the availability of parts, the price of the bikes wasn't too bad at the time.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I'm going crazy out here. It's Memorial Day on Monday. Everyone is out on their bikes today and throughout. Meanwhile, I am stuck at work. I wish I was out riding. Not to be with a group, just want to ride...

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going crazy out here. It's Memorial Day on Monday. Everyone is out on their bikes today and throughout. Meanwhile, I am stuck at work. I wish I was out riding. Not to be with a group, just want to ride...

I know how you feel, I was stuck gardening all day listening to all the bikes riding past!

We have a public holiday here on Monday too so I should be able to get some riding in before Tuesday...

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
My reaction was more like this

The perfect reaction gif for that :P

That rear shock placement is awesome. I mean, I imagine it doesn't do much for the longevity of the part, but the balls on Eric Buell. I'm sure he had a perfectly rational reason for it and it makes the handling 10x better

There have been a few recalls on the first shocks. Apparently one of they eye sockets could break with, obviously, catastrophic results. This AST shock that's under there should not do that... hopefully.

I definitely considered a Buell before buying my Speed Triple but I felt too uncertain about the reliability and the availability of parts, the price of the bikes wasn't too bad at the time.

Twinmotorcycles.nl has everything you need. Join us!

Wow! That's awesome. I can tell your dad is a great person.

He is! I'll give him your regards :).

The bike is looking really good too!

It surprisingly sounds a lot like a Harley.

Yeah, that's the cool thing about this S1. Buell definitely gave the motors a little oomph, but at that point they were very much hopped up HD Sportster motors. And since this one's also carburetted instead of FI (like my X1), this bike, unmistakably, sounds like a Harley.

Yep, I added 'em. Was just three lines anyway :P

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
In één keer! That bike looks amazing though, you've done a terrific job on it. You both sound so proud.

(Nu nog wachten op normale weer...)

Iets warmer bedoel je? Mag wel he?

And thanks for your kind words. I think this is the most amount of work we've ever put in a bike. Glad it shows :). Once everything's on, I'll make a few proper photo's again.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
It was the absolute perfect weather and went for a ride with one other person. Those small displacement bikes really do make it possible for new to be riders. Nice to see millennials are responsible in my anecdotal experience.

20190527_123012cjkcy.jpg

The deal is done - gonna go pick this guy up on Friday.

5pYVVQs.jpg
Nice! Hopefully it doesn't feel too long from now until then.
I did a little tour into the Eiffel Region last week.

8rjf8.jpg

xkkrg.jpg

7djxw.jpg

q5k2v.jpg

b8jsf.jpg

2rj5v.jpg

grj81.jpg

pgkv9.jpg

I love mixing work and hobby. I really liked the Transalp.
Really love that Super Tenere 👍

Not sure which part of Europe you are, but it looks nice and clean.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Not sure which part of Europe you are, but it looks nice and clean.

Both are from Northrhine Westphalia in western Germany. The first two are my hometown Hamm and the others are south of Hamm I'm the Eiffel region in south Northrhine Westphalia. Near cologne.
The first picture is taken from my balcony with view to the city centre.

I really like the blue of your bike. It's so good. (Blue is my favourite colour :D)

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Congratulations. Those new V-Stroms look excellent.

Thanks. To be honest I wasn't sold on the looks of the vstrom in general - but this one has got just enough character to pull me on over.

It was the absolute perfect weather and went for a ride with one other person. Those small displacement bikes really do make it possible for new to be riders. Nice to see millennials are responsible in my anecdotal experience.

Nice! Hopefully it doesn't feel too long from now until then.

Man, that valk is a beast. Gotta love it.

Yeah, it's absolutely crap weather today - but all I want to do is go get on that bike!

Looks real nice. The white walls even fit the bike.

Agreed - The rim stickers really work here, usually I'm not a fan... again, the vstrom is not a pretty bike, but you can make it passable with the right mods.

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
I already sold the BMW a week and a half ago, the general trade in offers from dealers were surprisingly bad... I got a little emotional about it after loading it onto the back of a trailer when they came to pick it up. Would have liked to keep it, but with 2 youngish daughters at home, there's hardly time to ride and take care of 1 bike, let alone mulitple.

Funny story though - The guy who finally bought it, also bought my Honda CB750 from me over 9 years ago. We only started to realise after the deal was done and got talking about our history with bikes... It was really bizarre.

Speaking of BMW, that new 1800 boxer engine has been on a few custom bikes already, but this BMW concept R18 with what looks like a production engine is a thing of a beauty, I really hope they can get something close to it into production at some point.

XPLyLds.jpg

More info here.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

20190527_123012cjkcy.jpg

Still love that wing. You just don't see that model here, only the occasional full dress Goldwing.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
An 1800cc boxer engine with pushrods? How is this the first I've heard of this?

I already sold the BMW a week and a half ago, the general trade in offers from dealers were surprisingly bad...

Yeah, not sure if that's a Dutch thing, but goddamn there be some low ballin' sons of bitches.

I got a little emotional about it after loading it onto the back of a trailer when they came to pick it up. Would have liked to keep it, but with 2 youngish daughters at home, there's hardly time to ride and take care of 1 bike, let alone mulitple.

I hear that. I'm lucky my girlfriend is such an angel that she's cool with me going for a ride every now and then (while she watches our son), but yeah... making sure those bikes get taken out every now and then takes a bit of planning.

Funny story though - The guy who finally bought it, also bought my Honda CB750 from me over 9 years ago. We only started to realise after the deal was done and got talking about our history with bikes... It was really bizarre.

Ha, you didn't recognise him? What are the odds...

--------------------
Speaking of boxer engines, an uncle of mine bought a brand spanking new GS1250 and he was kind enough to actually let me have a go on it. Two things that stood out to me:

1. how amazingly comfortable it is (it had fully electronic auto adjusting suspension which played a part I reckon)
2. how it is essentially the same bike as the 1150 I owned for 8 months

It's kind of funny how, essentially, for one tenth of the money you're getting like 80% of the experience. Which isn't so much a knock against the new hot shit as it is a compliment for how good the GS recipe is I guess? (My buddies weren't sold on my old GS when they tried it, but I think that's mostly cause the bike needs some time at least to grow on you.)

One thing I did really appreciate about the new model vs the old were the much improved brakes. The old one was a bit scary in that respect, but this 2019 bike had some serious stopping power. Very nice. It was quick too. Didn't really thrash it too much, but that fancy variable valve tech gave it some legs past 5k on the tach, that's for sure.

So yeah, if I'm ever going to be doing some serious travelling by bike, that's probably still the bike to beat. I'd try a KTM alternative (for some more spectacle maybe?). Because while the BMW, compared to my Buells, is faster, the way the BMW delivers its power is very uhm, efficient and 'closed'? Not sure how to describe it. The result, in terms of speed, is almost the same with a BMW and a Buell, but the combustion (on a Buell) feels much more alive and open, cavernously so. (Probably a result of the odd firing pattern. Enjoyable though.)

Another thing to consider is why you would spend over 30 grand when the old ones are in many respects just as good. I suspect there's arguments to be made for both.

Last edited:

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not sure if that's a Dutch thing, but goddamn there be some low ballin' sons of bitches.
From talking with friends as close as brussels - definitely seems like a dutch thing.

I hear that. I'm lucky my girlfriend is such an angel that she's cool with me going for a ride every now and then (while she watches our son), but yeah... making sure those bikes get taken out every now and then takes a bit of planning.
Yeah, my wife is really understanding and even encourages my taking rides - she's just not mulitple motorbikes understanding, which is completely legitimate and a wise stance to take.

Ha, you didn't recognize him? What are the odds...
Only a faint sense that I maybe knew him from somewhere, but that was easily dismissed - afterwards it obviously all comes back and everyone feels a little silly for not realising earlier. It was fantastic to hear that he still had a good time on the 750 though.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
An 1800cc boxer engine with pushrods? How is this the first I've heard of this?

Ha, you didn't recognise him? What are the odds...

--------------------
Speaking of boxer engines, an uncle of mine bought a brand spanking new GS1250 and he was kind enough to actually let me have a go on it. Two things that stood out to me:

1. how amazingly comfortable it is (it had fully electronic auto adjusting suspension which played a part I reckon)
2. how it is essentially the same bike as the 1150 I owned for 8 months

It's kind of funny how, essentially, for one tenth of the money you're getting like 80% of the experience. Which isn't so much a knock against the new hot shit as it is a compliment for how good the GS recipe is I guess? (My buddies weren't sold on my old GS when they tried it, but I think that's mostly cause the bike needs some time at least to grow on you.)

One thing I did really appreciate about the new model vs the old were the much improved brakes. The old one was a bit scary in that respect, but this 2019 bike had some serious stopping power. Very nice. It was quick too. Didn't really thrash it too much, but that fancy variable valve tech gave it some legs past 5k on the tach, that's for sure.

So yeah, if I'm ever going to be doing some serious travelling by bike, that's probably still the bike to beat. I'd try a KTM alternative (for some more spectacle maybe?). Because while the BMW, compared to my Buells, is faster, the way the BMW delivers its power is very uhm, efficient and 'closed'? Not sure how to describe it. The result, in terms of speed, is almost the same with a BMW and a Buell, but the combustion (on a Buell) feels much more alive and open, cavernously so. (Probably a result of the odd firing pattern. Enjoyable though.)

Another thing to consider is why you would spend over 30 grand when the old ones are in many respects just as good. I suspect there's arguments to be made for both.
Well, 30k buckaroos is certainly a lot. When you just can't afford that much or it's beyond your budget, there's the Japanese market. That would be the Super Tenere. Half to One-third the price, pretty much about the same experience. Other than the different engines.

Still though, the BMW's are nice. I might go to a dealership and go for a test ride. I'm not buying however, so I don't really want to waste the dealerships time.

Still love that wing. You just don't see that model here, only the occasional full dress Goldwing.
I promise if you were to ride it you'd like it even more. Might be a hard motorcycle to spot considering they were only available for 2 years, 2014 and 2015.
Both are from Northrhine Westphalia in western Germany. The first two are my hometown Hamm and the others are south of Hamm I'm the Eiffel region in south Northrhine Westphalia. Near cologne.
The first picture is taken from my balcony with view to the city centre.

I really like the blue of your bike. It's so good. (Blue is my favourite colour :D)
Blue is my favorite color too :)

You know, I never truly understood the amount of destruction caused by WW2. I know now because I finished watching "WW2 in colour". I know Cologne was devastated by bombings. A little bit amazing to me how beautiful it is now because it was "reduced to rubbles" as the documentary would put it.

Moogrose
What are your plans with the VStrom?

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
I rode a 1200GS about a year ago, and I loved it. Really comfortable and after just short while pretty confidence inspiring despite it's massive size. I just can't justify the price. If I'm honest with myself though, if money was no issue, I'd almost certainly have one.

Moogrose
What are your plans with the VStrom?
You mean mods wise or travel plans?

Pretty much everything I'd want is already on the bike, I've already ordered a new taller windscreen (I'm 6.4) and I'd like to add some heated grips sooner rather than later.

In terms of trips I've got my eye on some initially shorter 2 day trips to Germany and hopefully Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland... If that goes well (both in terms of the ride and home front) I'll dare to dream a little bigger...

What's the longest trip you've taken on the valk?

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Blue is my favorite color too :)

You know, I never truly understood the amount of destruction caused by WW2. I know now because I finished watching "WW2 in colour". I know Cologne was devastated by bombings. A little bit amazing to me how beautiful it is now because it was "reduced to rubbles" as the documentary would put it.
My hometown Hamm had Europe's biggest trainstation for transporting goods (weapons).
Only 10% of building survived the bombings. You can still see the American concepts of town development for the rebuilding after the war.

In the end I'm glad that all this destruction happened and this era ended. I hope that this never happens again.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
In Europe you can generally tell the Military value of a town 80 years ago by whether its a concrete hellscape with big roads or not

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I rode a 1200GS about a year ago, and I loved it. Really comfortable and after just short while pretty confidence inspiring despite it's massive size. I just can't justify the price. If I'm honest with myself though, if money was no issue, I'd almost certainly have one.

You mean mods wise or travel plans?

Pretty much everything I'd want is already on the bike, I've already ordered a new taller windscreen (I'm 6.4) and I'd like to add some heated grips sooner rather than later.

In terms of trips I've got my eye on some initially shorter 2 day trips to Germany and hopefully Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland... If that goes well (both in terms of the ride and home front) I'll dare to dream a little bigger...

What's the longest trip you've taken on the valk?
Good question actually. I don't think I've topped the trip I took when I rode it back home. I took the bus to my Northern neighboring state and rode it back home after purchase. Must've been some 250 freedom miles all said and done just coming home with it. I have been planning this 1 day trip here (pic below). Before I do it, I NEED to get some foot boards so I can change my foot position and be able to stay on the bike longer... If I get a fishing license, I can go out and fish near Norfolk. Right before the ocean tunnel/bridge that connects to the other side.

I definitely wish I could visit and ride around Germany.

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
Good question actually. I don't think I've topped the trip I took when I rode it back home.

I definitely wish I could visit and ride around Germany.

That trip you've got planned looks awesome. Here's me next to Germany and I envy you having America at your fingertips.

I've done few road trips in a car on the east coast (my wife comes from upstate New York). I'd love to hit those roads on a bike.

I look forward to some video highlights once you do it...