• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a titanium swingarm pinch bolt for my NC30

1WIvd6Z.jpg

JiSPcyn.jpg

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Stainless pinch bolts because I think someone thought 6mm was the same as 1/4" and chewed the shit out of one of them, probably on a tire change in the past.

J7gpg8T.jpg

J2dsxTn.jpg

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Beautiful day for a ride through the rockies today. It's now due for the first service.

RTWFR2q.jpg
Nice. I'm liking the b/w pics. If you don't mind I'll just drop this down here as well (pic below). I've actually had it in my library for a little while but never posted it because, let's face it, I just cranked everything to 11/10 and it's not the greatest photo. I'm not really great at taking photos or editing them. But I've always liked b/w photos with the subject still originally colored.

a88HAb4.jpg

Also, I noticed nobody posted happy 4th of July. I guess it's expected considering this is the one place where it's least American. Heck, I'm not American myself. But anyway, I'm going to finish my biscuit and tea before it gets too cold... :)

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
We had fireworks here for the 4th so there must be a small expat community in my lil Berkshire town.

I was working yesterday which meant riding the bike. If not for the width the RS would be the perfect commuter bike, it's so great. Just can't squeeze through some of the gaps I could on the Ducati, but I still managed to get between a Double Decker bus and a wall.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
We had fireworks here for the 4th so there must be a small expat community in my lil Berkshire town.

I was working yesterday which meant riding the bike. If not for the width the RS would be the perfect commuter bike, it's so great. Just can't squeeze through some of the gaps I could on the Ducati, but I still managed to get between a Double Decker bus and a wall.
The 4th is just a normal day here. But we Germany aren't even celebrating our own national vacations like the 3rd of October.national pride isn't our strength anymore. So.... happy 4th July afterwards I guess.

I would love it when our gov allowed filtering. But in the current state it's often dangerous because nobody expects a bike that filters.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Filtering not being legal in a European country just feels wrong. Do people do it anyway?

Mind you, it's legal here (and always has been, unless you go back to the days of waving a red flag in front of your car maybe), and some people still try to tell me I'm breaking the law. Usually you'll find if you're in a city people expect you to filter, and you get dirty looks in the country

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to snap a picture of my father in laws Venom sometime, its in slightly nicer condition than that Matchless with the invisible brakes (seriously I thought they were drums but... nope?)

Been commuting a bit the last few weeks as I'm wrapping stuff up at my old job. I'm never going back to a full-face helmet, having the flip is just too convenient. Especially as I can no longer wear contacts. I really rate the X-Lite 1004, it's very comfortable and the latch is really easy to operate. The comms unit takes hours to install as you basically have to deconstruct the entire lid to get it in, but once its there everything in nice and seamless.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder what the owner paid for the rear wheel and swingarm on that BKing. The tasteful wrapping provides a small hint.

I think someone thought 6mm was the same as 1/4" and chewed the shit out of one of them

Yuuuuup, seen a lot of that.

I'm never going back to a full-face helmet, having the flip is just too convenient.

I admit that I'll reach for the Neotec more often than the X-Spirit. The full face helmet is much lighter, but not having to remove the helmet at a gas station and being able to breathe a little more freely when you're riding through town with the front up is really nice.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I admit that I'll reach for the Neotec more often than the X-Spirit. The full face helmet is much lighter, but not having to remove the helmet at a gas station and being able to breathe a little more freely when you're riding through town with the front up is really nice.

Lightness is exactly why I went for the Carbon version of the X-1004. Well, partially carbon as the chin bar is regular polycarbonate or whatever. I actually don't really notice a weight difference from my old GT-Air as a result

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's a great looking helmet. Probably one of the first helmets I'll try if the Neotec is due for replacement.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I will soon by joining you, CycleERA.

Completed my MFS course with a perfect score on both riding and written exams and finally got my certificate

Getting a hand-me-down CB1100 from my dad and we will be taking a trip around Lake Michigan to celebrate my 31st birthday in about a week and a half.
After that he's leaving the bike with me and I'll use it as a daily commuter in the Chicago suburbs (20-25 minutes to work and back).

I went to visit him and my mom a month or two ago and we had a quick little trip and its just a lovely bike.
Pretty excited!

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I will soon by joining you, CycleERA.

Completed my MFS course with a perfect score on both riding and written exams and finally got my certificate

Getting a hand-me-down CB1100 from my dad and we will be taking a trip around Lake Michigan to celebrate my 31st birthday in about a week and a half.
After that he's leaving the bike with me and I'll use it as a daily commuter in the Chicago suburbs (20-25 minutes to work and back).

I went to visit him and my mom a month or two ago and we had a quick little trip and its just a lovely bike.
Pretty excited!
Good to hear! Welcome!

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome! Which CB1100 do you get?

All Honda's I had were super reliable bikes.

It's the 2014 model.
Fits me perfectly, though I might need to invest in a wind screen since the wind can be a bit much at 70+mph.

I've been driving a 2009 Jeep Compass for the last 10 years which is slower than molasses, but before that I had a 87 Corvette. I'm ready to be in something that can zip around again.
Also Jeep's build quality if pretty bad so something is always breaking. Driving a Honda anything is refreshing.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Bought one of those Puig wind deflectors to use on the Ulysses. Doesn't look too bad and I think I do notice something of an improvement. Tried it yesterday when it was extremely windy, but it seems high enough to keep the wind off of my torso and lessen the buffeting around my helmet, but since I'm too lazy to take it off again to compare, I'll never be completely sure.

20190715_14254229jlj.jpg

And kept this bug off of me already, so that's a win:

20190715_142524xzjzs.jpg

Noticed the primary chain was rattling like hell when I came back from yesterday's ride. The nut had come loose, maybe we didn't tighten it enough after last year's final drive bearing replacement adventure.

20190714_180224vgkdb.jpg

It's cleaned now and buttoned back up. Will have to keep an eye on it, maybe order a new nut (it has seals that wear out apparently). Never a dull moment.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
And uhm, *cough*, because we are gluttons for punishment, we also bought this 1125r:

20190709_18473623kg1.jpg

Honestly, I don't know why this keeps happening - well I mean I kinda know why this did: At 2.5k with 6800 miles on the odo it was basically a steal - but I would actually like less bikes, not more.

The previous owner died while he was working on it (he was a diabetic). His family didn't know anything about it and sold it to us. The guy was in the process of installing a gear indicator. It's probably only a matter of removing all the non original wiring and it'll be up and running again. Though the state it was in helped us knock a fair bit off the price.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting to the point that finding your place will be as easy as following the signposts for the Dutch Buell Museum

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently (even given how small our country is), there's crazier Buell owners than us out here. But yeah, between my dad and I, that's 6 different Buells now.

What an awesome trailer.

It is very handy for these situations. You just assemble it at location. You can build it as a single or a double (for two bikes).

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer looks nice. And it seems to be under the weight limit for what I can have in the UK without a new license, maybe I'll consider buying one (I'm replacing the old Dacia with probably a slightly older 3-series estate due to the new job, because if I have to drive daily in the winter I'm going to have a nice interior damnit)

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks and yes, in person the color of the frame, swing arm and wheels is very nice. I'll take some better pictures once it's a bit more presentable.

The only downside of the purchase is that this bike has grabbed my dad's attention while there's still work to be done on the S1 :(.

It's really quite funny. He's turning 60 this year, but his excitement over this bike is not unlike what I remember from when I was ten years old and a week or so away from a birthday.

That trailer looks nice. And it seems to be under the weight limit for what I can have in the UK without a new license, maybe I'll consider buying one (I'm replacing the old Dacia with probably a slightly older 3-series estate due to the new job, because if I have to drive daily in the winter I'm going to have a nice interior damnit)

Friend of mine recently bought an '05 or '06 BMW 3 series estate with a light interior. It's great. Look out for rust in the rear wheel arches if you're going hunting for one.

Last edited:

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What would be a good motorcycle for off-road riding only? Not a dirtbike, but not a hugely expensive adventure bike. I've come to the realization that I don't want to do any street riding, but I'd like to ride off-road, fire roads, off-the-beaten-path kind of stuff, that's it. Just as a hobby, not a primary mode of transportation.

Oct 29, 2017
What would be a good motorcycle for off-road riding only? Not a dirtbike, but not a hugely expensive adventure bike. I've come to the realization that I don't want to do any street riding, but I'd like to ride off-road, fire roads, off-the-beaten-path kind of stuff, that's it. Just as a hobby, not a primary mode of transportation.

Do you need the bike to handle street work to get to the offroad bits? Or you planning on trailering the motorcycle to the offroad areas? You can pick up a Suzuki Vstrom 650 or a Kawasaki KLR650 and they will do both. The KLR is more dirt oriented and the Vstrom is a bit more street oriented. Both can be had on the used market for pretty dang cheap.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you need the bike to handle street work to get to the offroad bits? Or you planning on trailering the motorcycle to the offroad areas? You can pick up a Suzuki Vstrom 650 or a Kawasaki KLR650 and they will do both. The KLR is more dirt oriented and the Vstrom is a bit more street oriented. Both can be had on the used market for pretty dang cheap.

I'll use a trailer for sure. Don't need it for the road. I'm a big of the Royal Enfield Himalayan design, but apparently it's specs are pretty middling? I'll look into the KLR for sure.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll use a trailer for sure. Don't need it for the road. I'm a big of the Royal Enfield Himalayan design, but apparently it's specs are pretty middling? I'll look into the KLR for sure.

I dont understand why you wouldnt want a dirt bike then? You can definitely find a used dirt bike for less than the price of the Enfield and it will run circles around that bike offroad.

EDIT: Suzuki DZ400 would fit the bill as well I think.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't go for an Enfield unless you're a big fan of constant wrenching to keep it running well, to be honest. They're awesome looking machines but not exactly famed for reliability, though I'd buy one over a Chinese bike any day

If you must have something partially road oriented instead of a pure dirt machine, I agree on the KLR. Bulletproof.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont understand why you wouldnt want a dirt bike then? You can definitely find a used dirt bike for less than the price of the Enfield and it will run circles around that bike offroad.

EDIT: Suzuki DZ400 would fit the bill as well I think.

Looks primarily, hahaha. Somethign about dirtbikes, I just don't like looking at them.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks primarily, hahaha. Somethign about dirtbikes, I just don't like looking at them.

Fair enough. I dont know exactly what you will find that fits that bill that doesnt look somewhat like a dirt bike though. Maybe the Vstrom? The KLR looks quite a bit like a dirt bike to my eyes.

KLR650
kawasaki-klr-650.png

V-Strom
4D30A4402EBF4551AA0BC6C34F62BC62.ashx

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Except dirt bikes are actually capable of off roading, big n heavy adventure bikes decidedly less so unless in the hands of a very skilled rider. You also wouldn't need to trailer an adv bike to the trail since they are often very capable of lots of paved miles.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've always found the designs of modern dirtbikes really weird, and I'm surprised they haven't hewn towards older designs like this custom KTM 450:

rsd-caselli_3.jpg.ashx

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I agree with Ocho, if he's going to trailering and primarily going to be off roading, he should be looking at a 250/400.

You can get a CRF250L, KLX250, XT250, WR250R, or DRZ400SM and convert it to off road use (rims and tires). Don't get the DRZ400S, it has worse parts than an SM.

Only if you're going to be riding the motorcycle to the trails, then look into the VSTROM 650 and the KLR650. However, going for the bigger bikes isn't the end of the world and it is manageable and do-able. Just keep in mind you're out there with a heavier motorcycle.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Honda CRF250 Rally? I always thought that was a cool looking bike that was probably capable of actual off roading

Disclaimer: I've never ridden in anything other than a few farmers fields at ~10mph