• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I actually like the Tuono but I wouldn't buy one due to the lack of a real UK dealer network.

Personally I'd go for the MT, but I'm biased. Did you also consider the Superduke GT?

I was kinda looking at it but Ive had nothing but twin sport bikes so I was kinda leaning towards something a bit different. Plus the KTM support where I live is terrible...worse than Aprilia.

I'd say try em and see what is most exhilarating. The Superduke GT, Tuono and MT10 all seem appealing. I do hear the MT gets awful gas mileage. But maybe I'm spoiled with my Buells.

For whatever reason, getting test rides where I live is like pulling teeth. They basically almost need a commitment to buy the bike before they let you ride it.....except for one dealer, but they dont have KTM, Aprilia, or Yamaha!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Oh that's right, I hear it can be like that. Baffling approach to sales if you ask me. Over here it's the opposite thankfully.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
The new Indian Challenger is a pretty sweet fixed fairing bagger:

The damn thing is fully water cooled and puts out 30 more horsepower than the Harley Road Glide!!! Plus it has advanced traction control, ride modes, electric adjustable windshield, weather maps built into the GPS. They've done a good job with this bike.

Harley needs to start innovating, they are falling behind in a bad way.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really cool looking bike.

Wish I could upload pictures easier on this forum. Id be sharing more about my rides but the others forums I post on make it so much easier. 😞

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
I only take notice since I'm now riding a Vstrom - but the new Vstrom 1050 looks like it rode straight out of the 80s and I'm kinda digging it.

2020-suzuki-v-strom-1050.jpg

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I know I shouldn't like this but Suzuki knocked it out of the park with this design and color schemes.

2020-Suzuki-V-Strom-1050XT-First-Look-2.jpg

The new KTM super duke R and 890 Duke R look awesome as well. Still hoping for a Speed Triple announcement but it looks like that'll be next year now.

Also, drooling at the Aprilia RS 660, that segment has been neglected for way too long.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever get a second bike to have alongside my Goldwing, it is going to be an ADV bike. Might be a Vstrom, maybe an Africa Twin, possibly the Harley Pan America next year, but I'd love to have an ADV bike to toy around back roads on.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the look of the new Africa Twin. Saw an older one with hard cases on it a couple of days ago and it still looked great.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
The new Indian Challenger is a pretty sweet fixed fairing bagger:

The damn thing is fully water cooled and puts out 30 more horsepower than the Harley Road Glide!!! Plus it has advanced traction control, ride modes, electric adjustable windshield, weather maps built into the GPS. They've done a good job with this bike.

Harley needs to start innovating, they are falling behind in a bad way.

I dig it so much. Looks cool. The color is great, I do wonder how it would look with the blue my bike has though

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Took this thing out last night. Way too cold, but it was interesting - in the sense that it feels more like a personal teleportation device than a bike. It has a stupid amount of power. At 100 miles an hour it still pulls as strongly as the air cooled Buells do at literally half that speed. And this is 'only' 150 horsepower or thereabouts. Makes me wonder what those 220 hp supernakeds feel like...

Anyway, was hanging on for dear life round one of the deserted ring roads of the local towns here and people were lighting fireworks in the distance. Gave me a little Forza Horizon IRL moment. Good stuff.

20191110_0038445ojsa.jpg

Also, drooling at the Aprilia RS 660, that segment has been neglected for way too long.

This is the most impressive one to me. 98 horsepower from a 660cc twin is pretty cool.

I could maybe even be persuaded to consider one if they'd make a naked/Tuono version.

/edit: hmmm

aprilia-tuono-660-con0ojnh.jpg

That is very nice.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Took this thing out last night. Way too cold, but it was interesting - in the sense that it feels more like a personal teleportation device than a bike. It has a stupid amount of power. At 100 miles an hour it still pulls as strongly as the air cooled Buells do at literally half that speed. And this is 'only' 150 horsepower or thereabouts. Makes me wonder what those 220 hp supernakeds feel like...

Anyway, was hanging on for dear life round one of the deserted ring roads of the local towns here and people were lighting fireworks in the distance. Gave me a little Forza Horizon IRL moment. Good stuff.

20191110_0038445ojsa.jpg

This is the most impressive one to me. 98 horsepower from a 660cc twin is pretty cool.

I could maybe even be persuaded to consider one if they'd make a naked/Tuono version.

/edit: hmmm

aprilia-tuono-660-con0ojnh.jpg

That is very nice.
I asked my boss if he was done riding for the season and he said no, he might take the sports bike out one last time. I asked him what bike was that and he said it was a Buell 1125r. Then I mentioned I knew someone on a forum from the Netherlands who owns Buells. He then said, "he must be smart" :)

Just thought I'd pass that along to you since I was obviously mentioning you

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I asked my boss if he was done riding for the season and he said no, he might take the sports bike out one last time. I asked him what bike was that and he said it was a Buell 1125r. Then I mentioned I knew someone on a forum from the Netherlands who owns Buells. He then said, "he must be smart" :)

Just thought I'd pass that along to you since I was obviously mentioning you

Ha, what are the odds? That's awesome. Please give him my regards :D

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone here have some kind of project lined up for the winter?

This is what I'm planning to work on with my dad:
  • 1125r: changing the exhaust and the mapping + fixing the clutch weep + fettle with the suspension some more to see if we can get it to ride right (it still doesn't inspire quite as much confidence as the other bikes in the stable, maybe it's due to the Pirelli tires I'll probably never like)
  • S1 Lightning: we completed the restoration this spring, but there's still some things that need doing. The gaskets that go in the pushrod covers didn't seat properly and they're leaking :( + fashioning a new exhaust bracket (placeholder one lasted for 500 miles) + figuring out whether something's wrong with the front motor mount (even though the ride is perfect, something does feel off in the front end) + exchanging fluids now that break-in is completed
  • My dad's M2 Cyclone: install the 1275cc kit (which we ordered along with the 1250cc kit that's on the S1 already), get tires for the new (wider) PM wheels he got for his 60th birthday + installation & fix the voltage regulator and wiring that nearly burned the house down last winter
Not sure whether we're going to be able to finish all this looking at that list, but on the other hand - all of the cosmetic work on the S1 is probably what made it so extremely time consuming and there'll be none of that this time round. We'll see.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here have some kind of project lined up for the winter?

I plan on tearing a bit of my 2018 Goldwing apart in order to add some accessories:

- Adding a Goldstrike brake LED light under my luggage rack. Requires a wiring harness install, but it flashes when braking and even has amber turn signals built into it.
- Adding side marker LED lights onto the bike too. Again Goldstrike, they replace the side reflectors which are on the front fork and the saddlebags.
- Adding a 12V power port, requires some drilling and fabbing but shouldn't be too bad. I want a clean looking install.
- I added a better radio antennae this summer for greater reception but I'm going to improve it by routing it better, should get even better reception.
- Adding fog lights. Not the standard Honda ones, I'm going with Clearwaters which have adjustable brightness and can go full bright with the hi beams. They also will flash when I hit the horn too.
- I'm putting highway pegs on too, but haven't decided on which brand I want yet.

Might do some other things too, haven't decided yet.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Despite my love for croissants, my first year of fatherhood and a job that's almost entirely sedentary (don't even have to go to work - can just lumber upstairs to my attic-office), I think I still weigh about 74 kg's.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I've been pissing around with my VFR, tarting various bits up.

Currently overhauling the original gold front brake calipers, about done now, didnt get them repainted but new pistons, seals, pads etc.
Ill put some pictures up when theyre fitted.

Also need a new battery for the VFR and XB12R, Fallout-NL , how do you get on with your Buells? I use mine once a week at most and always have to have it on an optimate or else it wont start.
It's charging fine and there's no "parasitic draw", the guy who I bought it off said that he had the same issue and they're all like that.
I wonder if it's the fan that hammers the battery when you turn it off?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Hard starting could also have something to do with grounds not making a proper connection (if the battery is otherwise okay). That's just something I remember reading. My knowledge of electrical stuff is pretty abysmal so all I can do is parrot it.

My Ulysses, same as your R mostly (in terms of electrical layout), doesn't need to be on a tender constantly (though it often is, just to be sure) and starts reasonably well. It does have that slight hesitation after the first half crank and then turns over, but I think most of 'em have that. The X1 starts very well, but that's got a new battery in it. I do have most of the Buells on a tender just as a precaution because there's too many of them to use regularly enough to prevent deterioration of the batteries that way.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Crap, the Ulysses has just been washed, it's raining and I have to go somewhere for an appointment.

Suppose I could take the bicycle. It's 9 kilometers.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Well... my girlfriend's off to work in the Subaru and my Boxster has also been washed and put away for winter.

Let's just say that most (or all) of my transportation related choices have been less than practical.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha I feel that. Well, might have to don the raincoat and hope it doesn't come down too heavy then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Put all the bikes into the tent garage on Sunday morning. Fueled, stabilized, ran for five minutes, batteries out and on tenders. The long winter wait begins.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Used the bicycle and despite some threatening clouds, not a drop of rain. It was rather pleasant actually. I should do it more often.

Put all the bikes into the tent garage on Sunday morning. Fueled, stabilized, ran for five minutes, batteries out and on tenders. The long winter wait begins.

Good work! What does the tent look like?

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
75419099-715356762304961-8807276885118550016-n.jpg

75610680-2549757018591269-5004584180646936576-n.jpg

Was a pain in the ass getting the tacho wired up and mounted but it looks good and operates perfectly.

Bike needs a wash desperately but I've been too busy :(

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Went for a ride today. It was 42° out but sunny so not too bad with my heated grips and seat.

How long until winter is over? :(

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work. What does it hook up to? Or how does it get its uh reading?

hooks up to the battery and coil and has a through plug between the ecu and the regular gauge. Looks like the computer is made for reading rpm and indicating gears but the stock gauge doesn't provide that info.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in my building is dailying an MV Brutale, even in this horrible wintry weather

I'm not sure whether to be jealous or horrified

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure whether to be jealous or horrified

Haha, I always have the exact same feeling. On the one hand, poor bike, but on the other, the guy's enjoying it year round. I always suspect owners like that of being rich enough to where they can afford not to give a damn. If it's used up they just replace it.

Though I guess I am glad the type of owner that cares.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Those sound amazing. Doesn't surprise me that it's totally blowing out the mic of whatever's filming that.

Batteries on the tenders in the garage, I'll tidy and ziptie those cables soon, I promise:

On my to do list as well. Might even mount them on the wall maybe.

Tent exterior with bonus goats to the left:

IMG_8507.png

Cool, the goats can keep the bikes company :P.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
For the first time in my life I have been getting depression/anxiety/sadness. It's why I haven't been very active here. I did get into a relationship and recently ended it, but I was feeling depressed even during the relationship. She definitely helped but at times made it worse. I am coping very, very well but gosh darn it, I hate the feelings. I wish I could go for a ride to see if it might help (probably won't, honestly) but I can't go out for a ride due to it being too cold or don't have the motivation. I don't know? Anyone have some advice? Is this my 1/4 life crisis?

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in my life I have been getting depression/anxiety/sadness. It's why I haven't been very active here. I did get into a relationship and recently ended it, but I was feeling depressed even during the relationship. She definitely helped but at times made it worse. I am coping very, very well but gosh darn it, I hate the feelings. I wish I could go for a ride to see if it might help (probably won't, honestly) but I can't go out for a ride due to it being too cold or don't have the motivation. I don't know? Anyone have some advice? Is this my 1/4 life crisis?

Stay strong man, if you ever feel like therapy or something may help then do consider it, I have lots of friends who have gone and each one of them took something positive away.

But ensure that you're keeping in contact with people and looking after yourself, staying hydrated and all that. "Solitude is the catalyst for developing bad decisions into bad habits", and that's both physical and mental.

Sorry it's too cold to ride, that's a pain but make sure you're still doing the things you enjoy and are getting out and about.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Stay strong man, if you ever feel like therapy or something may help then do consider it, I have lots of friends who have gone and each one of them took something positive away.

But ensure that you're keeping in contact with people and looking after yourself, staying hydrated and all that. "Solitude is the catalyst for developing bad decisions into bad habits", and that's both physical and mental.

Sorry it's too cold to ride, that's a pain but make sure you're still doing the things you enjoy and are getting out and about.
Thanks. I have been strong for sure. I try to stay busy however I can. Over the years, whatever I have read about depression and how to handle it has helped me. I basically try not to fall into solitude.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

Like Subpar said, therapy can help if - after feeling like this for some time - it seems like you're not going to get past this rut without outside assistance. Though if a break-up is involved, that's probably the main culprit in terms of how you feel. Stay active, go out and do stuff, meet with friends - I find that always helps. You'll get over it after a while, but as long as you're not, it's the fucking worst. I can relate :P.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Like Subpar said, therapy can help if - after feeling like this for some time - it seems like you're not going to get past this rut without outside assistance. Though if a break-up is involved, that's probably the main culprit in terms of how you feel. Stay active, go out and do stuff, meet with friends - I find that always helps. You'll get over it after a while, but as long as you're not, it's the fucking worst. I can relate :P.
Can't say wether it is her or not. Her lingering memories definitely do make me sad if I think about it. I've been trying everything possible to get out of it. I run, go to the gym, call friends, etc. Whatever I need to do for help, I definitely do it. I've been feeling better lately :)

I'd go for a ride if the weather would permit it. Doesn't look like it though. Going to have to tough it out a little longer.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
It takes time.

With regards to riding, haven't done much of that myself either. I took the S1 over to my parents two weeks ago, but the roads have since been properly salted.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I haven't been about much, I have been buried in my new job the last few months.

Microsoft mate, sorry to hear what you're going through. It's a rough time of year anyway, but I'm sure things will get better