• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The seat on the Triples tends to be fairly steep at the sides and the bikes are fairly light, so ride height figures on paper can be fairly deceptive compared to the experience of actually sitting on one. I would be surprised if you can't get both balls of your feet on the floor

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Easing people into more powerful machines as they gain the appropriate amount of experience is a pretty good idea I always felt :P.

I agree, even though my bike history is as follows: Tuned Aprilia RS50 (That thing did like 110km/h) > Tuned RS125 > Almost 5 or 6 years of not riding anything > 2006 Speed Triple.

I def. had my doubts about going to a 1050cc and I'll admit the first 1-2 thousand km were a little nervous but I had some faith that I'll avoid doing anything too stupid at my age and now that I survived my first season I'd say it was a success. I'd have gone with a street triple but the second hand deal on the speed triple was too good to pass up.

I'm also 170cm and have to tiptoe the bike but it's way less of a problem than I thought originally, you get used to it pretty quick.

EDIT: Also, goes without saying that properly opening up the speed triple for the first time was a pretty holy shit moment, lol. Hell, it still gives me goosebumps when you open it up no matter what gear you're in to be honest.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easing people into more powerful machines as they gain the appropriate amount of experience is a pretty good idea I always felt :P.

Yeah, but it used to be a year with a practical exam to upgrade past 660, now it's two years. I don't see how it'd help much seeing as you could just start riding 1 month before the end of your two year probation and probably pass the prac (it's just following an instructor, doing a hill start and not breaking any laws)

But yeah, I do agree that it's nice that people can't just submit a written exam, then run outside and jump on a hayabusa, only to crash into a wall at 250 the same day.

Also cheers guys for the comments on the triumph, definitely going to go look at some after I pass my R-Grade licence in January.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The old speedmaster was a bit naff, but the new model looks really great in person. It's clearly a blinged up version of the also excellent bobber

Ian

Oct 27, 2017
Kent, UK
Yeah I confess I haven't ridden one (yet!). Looks beautiful though.

I live about a two minute walk from a Triumph dealer. Hmm.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Installed a top box mount and battery tender today (with USB adapter so I can use GPS on longer trips w/o phone dying). Top box mount required taking off a body panel and drilling holes in it, which was scary. Will get a top box later but for now it's a place I can bungee bags to.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure those would be super illegal here, so I definitely wouldn't install them haha.

If you like the look, can accept the price and they're road compliant where you are, then go for it.

DJmizuhara

Nov 20, 2017
Nagoya, Japan
Pretty sure those would be super illegal here, so I definitely wouldn't install them haha.

If you like the look, can accept the price and they're road compliant where you are, then go for it.

Here in Japan colored lights don't seem to be an issue, I ride around with a full LED light kit installed on my bike and the Police haven't said a word about it.
The price isn't putting me off, I'm not sure I wanna dismantle the front of my bike and mess around with the electronics.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
It would be illegal here in Germany/Europe.

How are the streets in Japan? What are the speed limits? Damn Japan is so far away... I always wanted to visit this country.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same, can't have red lights facing forward and no green, red or blue "body lights" on cars or bikes, because different emergency services use those.

I've only been a tourist to Japan but the roads were fairly well maintained when I was there last. Been there like 3 times. Hoping to go again and rent a bike to do some riding for a few weeks, but I'm considering doing that in Canada or NZ first. Just need to find the money haha.

Can't remember what the average speed limits were, but I rarely saw any bikes above 400cc. Few sportsters, mostly. Apparently insurance or registration skyrockets on bikes above that, but I honestly haven't researched it.

Edit: just checked my photos, looks like most city streets are 40-60. Not sure about country roads, somehow managed to not get any speed signs in shot.

Last edited:

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Same, can't have red lights facing forward and no green, red or blue "body lights" on cars or bikes, because different emergency services use those.

I've only been a tourist to Japan but the roads were fairly well maintained when I was there last. Been there like 3 times. Hoping to go again and rent a bike to do some riding for a few weeks, but I'm considering doing that in Canada or NZ first. Just need to find the money haha.

Can't remember what the average speed limits were, but I rarely saw any bikes above 400cc. Few sportsters, mostly. Apparently insurance or registration skyrockets on bikes above that, but I honestly haven't researched it.

Edit: just checked my photos, looks like most city streets are 40-60. Not sure about country roads, somehow managed to not get any speed signs in shot.

mph or kmh?

400cc are enough to have fun. The question is: are our driving licences allowed there?

Edit: ok thats not that easy.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mph or kmh?

400cc are enough to have fun. The question is: are our driving licences allowed there?

Edit: ok thats not that easy.

Kmh in Japan.

Looks like us aussies just grab an international driving permit and we're golden, not sure about other nations. Also being a left-side driving country, it'd probably be easy for us to adjust.

DJmizuhara

Nov 20, 2017
Nagoya, Japan
Speed limits in Japan range from 30kmh to 60kmh, depends on the city and how populated the area is or if the road runs close to a school/hospital.
The Highway ranges from 80 to 100kmh which feels SO SLOW! Most people on the highway usually drive between 100 and 120kmh to be honest, Japanese people for some reason like to tailgate which is very annoying and scary at times especially when your mirrors are full of the hood of the car behind you.

I see a lot of very high powered machines but the insurance is insane so a lot of people run 250cc to 400cc because the insurance is a lot friendlier to the wallet.
I ride a Kawasaki Ninja 400cc and I find that it is plenty here in Japan, in 1st gear I'm already over the speed limit, so I don't honestly see the need for more.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed limits in Japan range from 30kmh to 60kmh, depends on the city and how populated the area is or if the road runs close to a school/hospital.
The Highway ranges from 80 to 100kmh which feels SO SLOW! Most people on the highway usually drive between 100 and 120kmh to be honest, Japanese people for some reason like to tailgate which is very annoying and scary at times especially when your mirrors are full of the hood of the car behind you.

I see a lot of very high powered machines but the insurance is insane so a lot of people run 250cc to 400cc because the insurance is a lot friendlier to the wallet.
I ride a Kawasaki Ninja 400cc and I find that it is plenty here in Japan, in 1st gear I'm already over the speed limit, so I don't honestly see the need for more.

Any advice to a foreigner looking to ride around for a week or two? Thinking the coast north of Tokyo or the coast south from Osaka. Been to shirahama and Wakayama and such before and it seemed like a nice coast to travel along.

I'd totally run Hiroshima to Aso again but I'm not so sure about it on a bike.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
You all excited for EICMA next week?

Personally I'm interested in KTM 790ADV and Yamaha Tenere 700, it's time to see how they'll look for general production. I'm still somehow expecting Kawasaki to steal the show with a KLR replacement.

So many bikes I want, not enough money. :(

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I normally use EICMA as a gauge to whether I head to Birmingham at the end of the month for the bike show there, so hoping for something cool...

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
This is the one motorcycle related video that I have come back to to watch the most. I usually don't re-watch anything multiple times, but this video just does it.

What are your favorite videos similar to this?

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Commuting to work at 5am in the interstate, not a single photon of sunlight, it's pitch black, down pouring rain and yet, there's a cop riding his Harley. I don't think I'd ever be that crazy because around here, early morning commuters drive way faster than normal. Even on a regular day.

I'll buy one when I'm filthy rich.

This one I go back to sometimes. I like the wheelies and the sound he captured.

Not gonna lie. Sounds awesome. I like the backfiring.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the V4. I hate the wings in MotoGP, and I hate them here.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Wings or no, I would ride that thing hard and be whispering sweet nothings in its ear for a good while afterwards.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Wings, they look stupid, crazy and like they were shoved on a bike not designed for it. They remind me of the early days of wings in Formula 1 , when teams were just throwing them onto existing cars

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
It somehow looks too fat and too thin at the same time, if that's even possible

Always liked the Versys though.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Last year when I went to the bike show I maintained that the Versys was the best 'bang for the buck' bike there. Hopefully I'll make it up to Birmingham again at the end of the month to see this (and that Ducati)

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I don't mind the wings on the Ducati. Looks pretty cool, honestly. Kinda looks like some shark fins if compared to an animal. The Versys 1000's looks is probably something that if you own the bike, you would love more over time. An acquired taste. I like it as well TBH. Looks cool and aggressive.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The VStrom isn't too expensive either, right?

No and in fact it may take that crown this year. It's always been the cheapest, I just tended to think the Versys was worth the extra few hundred quid

I'd probably actually buy the Suzuki if it was between the two, but that's only because Suzuki UK are so desperate for sales they're always offering 0% finance and a ton of free accessories!