• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
There is also the FJR1300. And you guys know me, comes with a drive shaft so that you don't have to worry about the chain maintenance.

Also, Doug, a YouTuber known as Rosie Grabrielle is a short woman and she took a KLR650 on an adventure. It was way too big for her but she still managed. If someone like her can do it, anyone can.

Have you been to the bike show? Did you see a Tenere 700?

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Just got the bike back. Can't remember what the issue was, something to do with the intake sensor. I was half asleep when they called me back. Tbh, I'm a little pissed because we were gonna ride the fuck out of the bikes these last few days. When we were off from work/school.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I finally did some 2up riding on my little Versys (she insisted on it) and now I'm thinking of getting a proper sport tourer or bagger in the future. We saw some bikes over the week and she liked the idea of the Goldwing lol.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
In happier news, I read that UK police are again allowed to knock criminals off their bikes again.

There is also the FJR1300. And you guys know me, comes with a drive shaft so that you don't have to worry about the chain maintenance.

Also, Doug, a YouTuber known as Rosie Grabrielle is a short woman and she took a KLR650 on an adventure. It was way too big for her but she still managed. If someone like her can do it, anyone can.

Have you been to the bike show? Did you see a Tenere 700?

Oh I can definitely ride it, I just prefer a lower ride, makes things easier! I've ridden the 1200GS, Multistrada and Tiger and they're all just about at the upper end of what I can manage

I actually missed the Tenere, I'm not sure if that's because Yamaha didn't have it there, or I was just distracted by being a little unwell this year (hence no photos). I'll probably head up to the London show in February where hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it all a bit more.

Have you ridden the R1200 RS? I've thought occasionally if I were to simplify down to just one bike it might be something like that.

Yep I tried it last year! Very good bike, as long as you get the package with Dynamic Pro anyway, it really makes the engine run great.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Its been a month since I parked my SV650 for the winter. Only 4 months left until I get to ride :( Hopefully I get to take longer ride next season. Looking at getting a tent that fits nice on a small bike like mine

blackprophesy

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's been a rollercoaster couple of days!

I got a call at work Friday from my wife "my bikes been stolen!" (2016 Street Triple)

It was in a Waitrose car park in London. Ok that's gone. Police report filed. CCTV footage given to police. Start the insurance process.

About 4 hours later a call from the police. They've found it and it seems fine with some minor damage (it went down on the right front side). We couldn't get to it straight away and police couldn't stay with it so we got a recovery company to go get it. And it's not there. The little scroats have moved it in-between the police leaving and the recovery van arriving. Ok now it's really gone.

5pm today another call from the police. They've found it again! Ok straight in the car and 45 minutes later we meet the police who have the bike. Amazing. Try to ride it home but the front brake lever snapped and flopping around and the rear brake lever completely gone. Back onto the recovery company. An hour later it's being loaded into the van and another hour we've got the bike home. £200 spent so far in recovery costs and probably another £4-500 of repairs needed (aside from the cosmetic stuff).

Almost unheard of for bikes to be recovered in London, let alone twice!

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has had to deal with the police in the last year (for non bike related reasons thankfully) I'm surprised they had the resources to find it once, let alone twice, so at least there is some luck in that story for you mate

At least after the acid attacks last year became more high-profile than "just" some bikers getting injured, they have started making some of the right noises again, even releasing that video of the police actually stopping some thieves instead of letting them ride off like they used to.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Well it's been a rollercoaster couple of days!

I got a call at work Friday from my wife "my bikes been stolen!" (2016 Street Triple)

It was in a Waitrose car park in London. Ok that's gone. Police report filed. CCTV footage given to police. Start the insurance process.

About 4 hours later a call from the police. They've found it and it seems fine with some minor damage (it went down on the right front side). We couldn't get to it straight away and police couldn't stay with it so we got a recovery company to go get it. And it's not there. The little scroats have moved it in-between the police leaving and the recovery van arriving. Ok now it's really gone.

5pm today another call from the police. They've found it again! Ok straight in the car and 45 minutes later we meet the police who have the bike. Amazing. Try to ride it home but the front brake lever snapped and flopping around and the rear brake lever completely gone. Back onto the recovery company. An hour later it's being loaded into the van and another hour we've got the bike home. £200 spent so far in recovery costs and probably another £4-500 of repairs needed (aside from the cosmetic stuff).

Almost unheard of for bikes to be recovered in London, let alone twice!
Man, that really sucks. I don't understand why thieves steal bikes if they're just going to damage them.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that really sucks. I don't understand why thieves steal bikes if they're just going to damage them.

When my 1998 Wide Glide was stolen back in '99 it was by a huge bike theft ring out of NJ. They were stealing bikes just to part them out, apparently there is huge money in that.

Joyriding thieves usually will just take the bike for a quick spin and then leave it lay somewhere, its unusual that they'd come back for it like that a second time. Unless they didn't know it had been found and just hopped back on it thinking it was still okay to ride, lol.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Makes you wonder how easy it apparently is to steal one if 16 year olds can do it. At least I have to imagine that being the case here.

Break the steering lock (if used), then fold down the passenger peg and get your mate on his moped to ride alongside you with one foot pushing your bike. Seems to be the modus operandi for these guys, though the ones who are looking for more than a bit of two wheeled fun will cut locks etc too.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Break the steering lock (if used), then fold down the passenger peg and get your mate on his moped to ride alongside you with one foot pushing your bike.

That's on a level of sad I hadn't previously imagined.

When my 1998 Wide Glide was stolen back in '99 it was by a huge bike theft ring out of NJ. They were stealing bikes just to part them out, apparently there is huge money in that.

Considering the custom Harley scene, that does go double for Harley bikes sadly.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

I'm conflicted. I love bikes and hate people who would presume to put their hands all over a motorcycle of which they are not the rightful owner. On the other hand though, my political preferences are about as left as they get, and it's not unthinkable for a ramming action like that to end up in a death sentence or a wheelchair, which does seem kinda excessive regardless of much those fuckheads have been asking for it. Would the Larry David .gif be appropriate here?

/edit: thought about it some more, I'm okay with it.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I'm conflicted. I love bikes and hate people who would presume to put their hands all over a motorcycle of which they are not the rightful owner. On the other hand though, my political preferences are about as left as they get, and it's not unthinkable for a ramming action like that to end up in a death sentence or a wheelchair, which does seem kinda excessive regardless of much those fuckheads have been asking for it. Would the Larry David .gif be appropriate here?

/edit: thought about it some more, I'm okay with it.
I'm not sure what kind of criminal activity these moped gangs are committing. I skimmed the article, but at they end of the day, respect other people's businesses, life, well being and property. Once you fail to do that anything coming your way is 100% your fault. It might sound a little extreme, but honestly, you should have a basic human right to not fear your hard earned motorcycle will be stolen and damaged. Hard earned is subjective, for some a 10k motorcycle might be a few hours worth of work, for others, it can mean years of hard work and saving money.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about as far from the right on the British political spectrum as you can get, but if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. You (allegedly) commit a crime, run from the police when asked to stop, and put other peoples lives in danger when doing so.... a small nudge off the bike is fine by me

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Haha, with the 'small nudge' being kind of a misnomer. But yeah, if you're dumb enough to run from the police, you're kinda asking for it at that point.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Gotcha.

In other news, the BBB Italia bikes are up for sale and Chris just bought a 916. In yellow.

I'm jealous. It's the one thing that's really missing from my collection at this point.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed this last week. What do you guys think to the new Katana?

20181123_111558azfcp.jpg

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that an indicator down there behind the radiator? What ugly positioning. Also, seat looks pretty bland.

Otherwise, I love the front end.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I love the front but feel they phoned it in a bit with the rear half. It's also not quite hideous enough to pay tribute to the original bike

I wonder what the eventual price will be.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
Really like the front.

It just hit me what a pleasure it is to see a square headlight again after all those years of generic insect-like designs. In general, I think motorcycle design these recent years has emerged out of a dark age.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Sold my 08 Kawasaki Versys this morning almost 28k on the bike. She served me more than well the last 9 years already thinking about what comes next.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
And what are you thinking of specifically? :D

Honestly, not sure the Versys was my first real bike. I am 6' 4" and need to actually try out some models before I accidentally fall in love with something that's not practical for a daily commuter/weekend biking in New England. I really like dual sport bikes but thinking of something different for a change.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not sure the Versys was my first real bike. I am 6' 4" and need to actually try out some models before I accidentally fall in love with something that's not practical for a daily commuter/weekend biking in New England. I really like dual sport bikes but thinking of something different for a change.

Wondering what you didn't find practical for commuter/weekend biking? To me it sounds like it's perfect for that.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Wondering what you didn't find practical for commuter/weekend biking? To me it sounds like it's perfect for that.

The Versys was perfect but after 9 years I wanted to see what else was available. I use to ride with a great sport group at over the east coast. But the last two years not so much and with my commute now 15 mins away from the office I don't have a long commute either.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
6' 4"? Have you thought about a Supermoto? Either the KTM SMC or the Ducati Hypermotard would be fun alternatives to a dual sport for the taller rider

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
45493023_2350341301661371_865488293769654153_n.jpg

Took a daytime shot of my PCX

Insta link

You guys have any suggestions for good ways to keep hands warm for longer rides? Hopefully something cheap.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
How long are we talking?

If its 45 min tops, I can survive with winter gloves, any longer and you kinda want heated grips.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently got some Hippo Hands (rogue version). I tested them a little above freezing temperature on the freeway (80 mph) with some minor cold feeling. Much better than the pain I felt before. I imagine these will do better when riding more leisurely, but I have yet to try them throughly.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Personally in the winter, anything longer than 20 minutes and I need an external heat source. Buy heated grips. Heated gloves are warmer but the grips are way more convenient and always there.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah did some hour long rides and hands were numb -- I live in Texas so I got summer gloves and they're not cutting it on the rare sub 40 days (hoped I could just wear windproof gloves over them but that barely helped). Not sure I want to go heated grips since they'd rarely get used but the heated gloves seem pricey too, so hmm.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I used to ride all year round on my VFR400 when I was younger, not a chance now.
I take the car if it's under 10°C

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Speaking of cold weather riding, I can't do it anymore. I used to be able to ride down to 32f/0c, but after losing so much weight, I think it has to be a sunny 50f/10c for me to be able to ride.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I was out riding the other day in sub 40° weather, put on 200+ miles. Had a day off and really had the urge to put some miles on as its been a few weeks of cold here now. The heated grips and seat of the new Wing helped a ton, but I have pretty good cold weather riding gear too.

I'm tired of winter already, lol.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ashamed to say the Ducati hasn't moved at all since September. I spent half of October away from home for work, and all November doing more work. Might go for a brisk ride next week before Christmas to shake the cobwebs, but it's not the weather for beautiful Italian machines.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't been out all that much either. But the weather has been shit and work slow.

I have bought a retractable garden hose to make it a little easier to quickly hose down the bike each time I take it out. I've sold the BMW of course and am considering using the Ulysses on occasion (with salt on the road). Craziness, I know.