• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to take my bike in for the first day of uni tomorrow, I'll measure it up for a bike cover to protect it from the sun. Would take my car if on-campus parking wasn't super expensive and there wasn't loads of tow away zones in that area. The panic of some moron damaging my bike is on-par with my panic over attending Uni 😫

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
All the parts for the S1 rebuild project are finally in. Yesterday was part 1 of the actual rebuilding (up till this point it was tearing down mostly). We started on the front forks. They were leaking and in dire need of freshing up. The difference in damping was pretty huge before and after. Probably the first time it's been done in twenty years. Fresh tires are also on (went with the latest Michelin Roads, they reviewed very well).

Anyway, before and after:

20190216_112534cejv0.jpg

20190216_152622nhktg.jpg

Back together again:

20190216_16504834jmt.jpg

New Road 5's are already on:

20190216_102415y6kg2.jpg

Next weekend we'll start on the engine now that all cilinder piston gasket stuff is in as well.

Y'all nothing is quite like riding something you put together in your garage for the first time.

For sure. I suppose that could be seen as an upside of my passion for Buell bikes.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Just spent half an hour rescuing the Mrs in a cinema car park, the BMW decided to dump a bunch of fuel over her legs and the road.

I gave the hose clamps a cursory tighten, started up the bike and revved the shit out of it, and seems okay now. Gummed up stale fuel clogging the filter maybe? I've sent her on her way now so hopefully that's the end of it.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Welcome! Thanks for your post. Always enjoy reading people's bike histories.

Noooo!

Oh well, at least you replaced it with that really cool R1 :P.

j/k, I do love that SP-1 though :D.
Thanks for the welcome. The VFR and SP-1 will always be the bikes a regret selling especially when I look at the prices they sell for now.
Took my bike if for it's yearly post-winter spruce up. The finish isn't great in a couple of spots with it being a 14-15 year old Suzuki but it's still not a bad looker for an old bird.
Service and MOT on Tuesday to sort out a few niggles including a sticky throttle and I should be ready for my last Spring on the bike before I look at something with a bit more oomph.

K4's/K5's are more favourite GSXR's. Yours looks lovely pal.

What you thinking of upgrading to next?

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Thanks for the welcome. The VFR and SP-1 will always be the bikes a regret selling especially when I look at the prices they sell for now.

K4's/K5's are more favourite GSXR's. Yours looks lovely pal.

What you thinking of upgrading to next?

Thanks! Always preferred the K4/K5 to what came after. Always thought the revised models that later looked a bit too over-designed.

Think I'm after a 1000cc bike next. I figure I need to own at least one balls out sports bike before I'm too old for that sort of thing. I've spent quite a bit of time lately eyeing up BMW S1000RRs.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Always preferred the K4/K5 to what came after. Always thought the revised models that later looked a bit too over-designed.

Think I'm after a 1000cc bike next. I figure I need to own at least one balls out sports bike before I'm too old for that sort of thing. I've spent quite a bit of time lately eyeing up BMW S1000RRs.

Yep, I also think the later ones look a lot softer after the K4/5.

Good man S1000RRs are awesome pieces of kit. To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with the vast majority of 1000cc superbikes that are on the market. Think the BMW will be future classic considering the way it changed the 1000cc landscape.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Shit man, that's good work though. A proper road side fix!

Well, it ended up not losing any more fuel so my theory was probably correct. Doing your own maintenance is really helpful when you end up having to lift the tank at the side of the road!

There is a fair bit of surface rust under there, 17 years of wear. Time for a bit of preventative maintenance this spring I think.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Yep, I also think the later ones look a lot softer after the K4/5.

Good man S1000RRs are awesome pieces of kit. To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with the vast majority of 1000cc superbikes that are on the market. Think the BMW will be future classic considering the way it changed the 1000cc landscape.

Yeah I don't think you can really go wrong with any modern bike nowadays. It's all down to personal preference i.e which one you think looks the nicest or what sort of engine profile you want. Looking forward to owning a bike with some safety features though! Don't think I've even ridden a bike with ABS yet.

LesPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
This may be a dumb question but I can't seem to find a good solutiuon on google. I bought a bike with clip ons (Vitpilen 701) but need to mount a phone. Does anyone of you know of good mounts or has any idead where/how I could do that.

Oct 29, 2017
This may be a dumb question but I can't seem to find a good solutiuon on google. I bought a bike with clip ons (Vitpilen 701) but need to mount a phone. Does anyone of you know of good mounts or has any idead where/how I could do that.

After a little search, I found this. Looks like this might be your best bet for now. Its a pretty new bike so there isnt a whole lot of aftermarket parts for it yet. Also, bike specific forums are a goldmine for useful info and the best place to find specific info for your bike.

https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/mnnthbx-ram-stem-nut-for-cellphone-mount/

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, RAM mounts are the way to go. There are quite a few options, just find one that works for the bike

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
So My XSR900 is at my nearest Yamaha dealer. He told and showed me that the bar got hit harder then I thought last summer. I hope that I get my bike back in good conduit after this checkup.

My wife is awesome, even with a boy on the way, she helped me to free up some weekends this year for some tours with friends. When he is 16 the motorcycle landscape will definitely look different but we hope that he will join me then to ride the Sauerland.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I've replaced my chain after 6000 miles. Bike was lugging like crazy at slow speeds due to a hard spot on the chain. I've read before the stock chain is bad so I got a new DID chain. I almost teared from joy, bike feels like new again. I should've fixed this 500 miles ago.

Btw I went to the Bill Dragoo training (billdragoo.com). This guy and his instrctuors are top notch. Price is very reasonable as well. My bike was the lightest bike day 1, felt like I was cheating on some of the drills.

Wish it was easier to post pics on this forum.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Bought some Oxford heated grips for the speed triple, the installation seemed pretty straight forward and my original grips are already a little worn out so it seemed like a good investment. Freezing my fingers off last season was the worst so I can't wait to try them out and I didn't like riding with thicker "winter" gloves on.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Picked the R1 up today. I'm n love with it already. Got the break in period to run through then happy days. Love all the rider aids that she has plus the quickshifter and blipper is amazing.

I'm surprised how high the seat feels compared to the Blade, I'm just about able to tiptoe on both feet.

Felt emotional riding the Blade down to do the deal, even at 16 years old and me not having been out since October she still felt cracking to ride.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
We've gone from snow to "warm enough to ride without wishing I was dead" temperature in the space of a month.

The planet is fucked, but I did get the Ducati out yesterday for a pre-MOT shakedown. Still an absolute pleasure to ride, I'm glad I saw out the last of my 20s with it. It's being serviced and prepped for another season next week, just in case supplies become er... difficult to source after March.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Have been in Barcelona this past week, interesting to compare the mix of scooters/motorcycles between Paris, Rome, Barcelona. Lots of classics and even some hogs, including Harleys here, which surprised me. Spain definitely wins most aggressive drivers, our taxi the other night accelerated *at* a guy in a crosswalk, honking all the way. Good times. Will post some pics later.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the further south in Europe you go the more er.. 'spirited' the driving seems to get. It works though, once you get used to it.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Just been relieved of several hundred quid for a service and timing belt change. Bloody miserable day for it, but now I'm set for the season. Apart from my helmet, which is fucked

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Any helmets you're looking at in particular? Do you usually get DOT certified or go for SNELL?

Either a GT-Air II or a Schuberth C5 I think. In the UK (at least for the next 3 weeks lol) all helmets have to meet EU standards so I dont usually worry about DOT/SNELL. I have actually heard mixed things about how beneficial SNELL is but I'm not an engineer!

That new Shoei with the HUD looks interesting too, but I suspect I'll probably leave that for another 4-5 years until the tech matures.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Got my bike back. Maintanance done, Bar straight again. Steering head bearings are kind of loose, but the bike still hase warranty and we will fix that in the summer. Now im 600€ poorer.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Had a service and MOT before putting my bike up for sale. After riding through the winter my throttle cables were completely gunked up and the ends were actually bent at a 70 degree angle(clutch cable too). My garage was surprised i'd managed to last this long(I could actually take my hand off the throttle and my bike would keep a steady speed for a good 30 yards before gradually levelling off). New cables make my Gixxer feel like a completly new bike. Previously it felt like I was riding wearing boxing gloves but now my throttle is so sensitive and honestly it kinda makes me ride like a complete loon before I remind myself to reign things in a little.

Fingers crossed I manage to sell the thing and use it as a deposit for a S1000RR. I've put it up for £2750 which I think is a bit of a bargain with all the bits it has, despite being a high mileage bike at around 34k.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
So yeah, felt like higher ratio of motorcycles to scooters in Spain. Paris having maximal and then Italy after that, although the Fiats sort of push the car/motorcycle ratio a bit differently in Rome. Anyway...

We don't get a lot of Moto-Guzzis here in Maine so always nice to see them in the wild:

IMG_7900.png

Honda model I didn't recognize, but I think it's just because that '4Dream' is not a factory sticker, and this is just a stock CB1100, which we also don't see a lot of up here.

IMG_7916.png

This MT-07 with the custom frame guard and sliders. High-viz. I saw a few different went frame slider configurations but didn't snap pics. Looks like a custom-painted radiator bracket too.

IMG_7917.png

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it always warms the heart to see so many bikes in Southern Europe.

----------------------------

Anyway, here's another update on the S1 restoration project. Bad case of the flu (and an otherwise busy schedule) kept us from it for a while, but we've been at it again.

Two or three weekends ago, we cleaned the heads thoroughly. Here's a little before and after:

(before)
20190222_142613t8kcp.jpg

(during)
20190222_145106q6jp1.jpg

(after)
20190222_1542133cjz1.jpg

new valve seals too:
20190222_13025451j5s.jpg

And yesterday, we started rebuilding the top-end, using the shiny new Hammer Performance hardware. Also replaced the oil pump drive gear with a new and improved version.

20190309_104702mhjbp.jpg

Old gear:
20190309_121923r9k6p.jpg

And the new one:
20190309_140038wnkbn.jpg

Draining some of the last oil out:
20190309_153859rejrn.jpg

Turned out to be quite a lot:
20190309_154641byjhj.jpg

On to the top end and the shiny new bits:
20190309_162537u3j4b.jpg

20190309_173919bokpi.jpg

20190309_173932xpk0s.jpg

20190309_181301xxkw1.jpg

Torquing all that stuff down (60nm or 44 foot pounds of torque on these!):
20190309_18030716kb7.jpg

20190309_2116081akqz.jpg

20190309_213617xtjk5.jpg

Also got some of those fancy Hammer pushrodcover bases:
whatsappimage2019-03a2kqj.jpeg

So that's the engine almost done, which means that, hopefully next week or something, we can get started on putting it back in the frame and back on its wheels. Still a lot of stuff left to do:

- properly rebuild the carb
- rebuild the front brake
- de-rust and maybe paint the exhaust headers
- paint a bunch of other brackets
- remove the bubbling logo from the tank to apply new decals
- and a thousand other things I'm forgetting, but we're slowly getting there.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing, awesome work. Would love to be able ot sit in on something like that.

Thank you! Yeah, it's a lot of fun (to try to learn as much as I can from my dad with these projects). I've been wanting to do a more proper video type format to document some of this stuff. But many of these procedures require four hands and the job alone is very time consuming. So these pictures are all I can manage at the moment. It's something, I guess :).

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Thank you! Yeah, it's a lot of fun (to try to learn as much as I can from my dad with these projects). I've been wanting to do a more proper video type format to document some of this stuff. But many of these procedures require four hands and the job alone is very time consuming. So these pictures are all I can manage at the moment. It's something, I guess :).
I'd love to see the video if you ever make one. Awesome stuff btw. It's amazing that your dad can take a bike a part and put it back together better than it was.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, maybe I'll whip out the ole tripod, keep my hands free at least.

Last one, all buttoned up:

whatsappimage2019-03cljn9.jpeg

Ah, is there a more beautiful sight? I really do love how this engine looks.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I have my first riding lesson today. Currently it is sleeting here in Germany. I am still very exited though.

Enjoy! I remember being awful at my first lesson, but it really is like riding a bike once you acquire the muscle memory

There's nothing quite like the first time you get out on the road, 30mph never felt as fast before or since

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Enjoy! I remember being awful at my first lesson, but it really is like riding a bike once you acquire the muscle memory

There's nothing quite like the first time you get out on the road, 30mph never felt as fast before or since

I can remeber that I stalled my 125 Yamaha for like five green phases. I was stuck inbetween the gears (3-4). After that day a whole month passed until i had my next lesson. My Rebell 125 I had afterwards wasnt that bitchy.