• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I'll wager you'll not be disappointed. The only bad thing about mine is I got the additional strap pouch for my phone and now it doesn't fit my new stupidly large Note.
Hmm, I remember you telling me about that pouch. I'll have to take a look at the accessories.

Hmm, I kinda need a new bag as well.
Definitely a bit expensive but I feel it is worth it. Waiting to receive mine in the next few days!

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
They're made in Wales so if you want to order one, maybe do it before the end of the month eh :-)

LesPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Unfortunatly my riding lesson today did not happen because it started to snow shortly before my lesson was supposed to begin. Will try again on Wednesday.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I need another motorcycle like I need a hole in my head, but it's hard (so very hard) to keep your eyes from wandering. There's a thousands thing I want, but mostly I have been checking out 851's, 916's, 999's and even the odd 900ss.

The fact that I can't really afford any more bikes right now (and reluctance to need to get acquainted with a whole new set of 'known' mechanical issues) keep me from making moves anytime soon. But I do feel like the window on an affordable red (or yellow) 9xx bike is closing rapidly. It's just the total dogs that are going to be left soon.

Anyone else dealing with totally impractical N+1 fantasies right now?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I've my eyes on a CB750 four.

Those do sound awesome. There's nothing quite like that classic inline 4 sound. Reminds me of the very first Mad Max film.

Every Single day. But Space and the Baby at the end of the month are a Problem.

Ah yes, that's another thing that keeps me a little bit honest at least :P. My boy is 6 months old now, it's awesome. You have a lot of fun stuff to look forward to, even the sleepless nights are kinda fun in a way.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Those do sound awesome. There's nothing quite like that classic inline 4 sound. Reminds me of the very first Mad Max film.

Ah yes, that's another thing that keeps me a little bit honest at least :P. My boy is 6 months old now, it's awesome. You have a lot of fun stuff to look forward to, even the sleepless nights are kinda fun in a way.
I'm really nervous about future son. I'm glad that my wife keeps cool about riding. I've met any guys who stopped riding because of children and are very sad about their decision. I hope my son won't come on credit day.

The CB750 isn't running away. It sits in a warm and comfy garage from a friends father.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Congrats to the both of you on the baby and upcoming baby.

I do have those impractical fantasies as well. I want to get myself a WR250R. It was part of the plan when I sold the KLR650. I decided I wanted a bigger bike and a smaller one. Best of both worlds. I really, really miss being able to go offroad. Eventually down the line I will think hard about it. For now I have the Valk and when I can't be arsed to lug 754 pounds around town, I use my cousins SV650. That's not a complain, it's an excuse to take out the SV650.

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats indeed. I stopped riding after my first born, sold the bike when my daughter was a few months old, I just felt nervous all the time and wasn't enjoying it... Then came my second daughter... and after a couple of years I got the itch to get back in the saddle, wife was cool with it and I love riding more than ever now...

I'm constantly looking at other bikes and dreaming of a collection, but that would seriously be pushing my luck.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking all winter about getting a supermoto or a "beater" bike for bad weather riding in the spring or fall. I'll wait and see if there's any good DR-Z's for sale for reasonable prices this fall. I'd rather have a less powerful supermoto with long service intervals than the opposite.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Every Single day. But Space and the Baby at the end of the month are a Problem. I've my eyes on a CB750 four.

Congrats on the the upcoming baby and baby both. Having kids is awesome. Especially when they start to become interested in bikes.

I dream of what my collection would be like all the time, but with two kids, limited space and the money factor all I can do is look and dream.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats indeed. I stopped riding after my first born, sold the bike when my daughter was a few months old, I just felt nervous all the time and wasn't enjoying it... Then came my second daughter... and after a couple of years I got the itch to get back in the saddle, wife was cool with it and I love riding more than ever now...

I'm constantly looking at other bikes and dreaming of a collection, but that would seriously be pushing my luck.

My fears with regards to riding haven't changed that much. I do feel a bit more responsibility now that I have a child to think of, but like before, most of my fear is when I'm not on the bike. When I'm actually riding I hardly ever feel scared.

Congrats on the the upcoming baby and baby both. Having kids is awesome. Especially when they start to become interested in bikes.

Thanks! Yeah, can't wait to see what he thinks of the collection.

I dream of what my collection would be like all the time, but with two kids, limited space and the money factor all I can do is look and dream.

I also find that ehm, while a large collection is cool, the headache that comes with keeping track of maintenance and keeping batteries charged does kinda start to weigh on you after a while.

Have you per chance ever read any post I've ever made? The struggle is real

Haha. What's the plan with the Monster this year? Trading it in towards that RS you've been eyeing?

My wifes always rolls her eyes when I start to argue about another bike... the world doesnt understand us.

My girlfriend is actually extremely understanding with regards to my motorcycle obsession. That S1 Lightning I bought just a few weeks before the birth of our first and she was like "yeah, you should totally buy that." She's great.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I don't even know any more...
So I'm on the leftmost lane riding the sv650 to work, going 75 (speed limit 55). I'm like, ok I have never, ever seen anyone go 70-over here so I'm ok and traffic is flowing fine. Then out of nowhere 3 cars pass and overtake me on the right. Meaning these people have to be going at least 80. On a 55. On a state which will fuck you 10x over if you're speeding. I give up. How can I reach these kids?

Also got to try out the Kriega backpack. It's actually really great. I barely notice it's there. For my purposes it works totally fine.
... the world doesnt understand us.
Got a good chuckle out of this, lol.

Fallout-NL
I was wondering if the baby was a boy or a girl. But you already mentioned it! One day, your collection will all be his?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I was wondering if the baby was a boy or a girl. But you already mentioned it! One day, your collection will all be his?

Yeah, looks that way! That is, if it turns out he shares the interest (and if petrol burning devices have not been outlawed by then).

That does kinda scare me though, the idea that one day he'll be tooling around on a motorcycle. Equal parts scary/fun. Would be fantastic to go for a ride with him though.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
I'm constantly changing my mind in what's going to be my next bike.

I've been doing a lot of dirt riding so I've been thinking of buying an enduro/dual-sport bike (KTM 690 or Husky 701). But I also want to adventure in a bigger bike and ride to Arkansas or Colorado and do cool roads/BDRs (so I think about a GSA or 1090/1290). But my girlfriend has been enjoying rides as a pillion with me so I go to a sport touring bike like the 1250 RT or Versys 1000, or a bagger like a Goldwing/K1600 for touring around Texas in extreme comfort. Yesterday I wanted a Ninja 400.

The KTM 790 seems like an awesome machine and a cool step up but might be super hard to get one.

Realistically though I won't be able to afford another bike until next year though.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
My Tomos is running like garbage so it's time to find out why. I took the whole engine off. I've been running it stupid rich so there's a ton of carbon deposits on the cylinder head, which I cleaned up, and the spark plug. My reed valves are still fine, so with that all squared away I decided to look at my clutch
joJYhy6.jpg

And this is a lot better than I expected it to be, but one of the clutch shoes is mostly gone (that's cork as the friction material, btw), so I'm gonna probably going to drop a bunch of bones on a brand new 1st gear clutch that's been re-engineered to not be shitty.
qQJx4tZ.jpg

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Definitely a stupid question but heck, it's tempting. Do you guys think I should learn to wheelie just to know how to do it? It's something I've never tried to do before but it seems like it would be a cool skill to learn. Not sure though, what is the consensus? Does anyone here know how to wheelie?

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I learned to do one on my xsr (which isn't hard on this bike). But I don't do it on purpose. It was mainly because I wanted to know how it feels and how I control it when it happens so that I don't get in panic.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Do you know what. In all the time I've been riding I've never actually wheelied any of my bikes. Can't see me starting either.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK we have several day programs specifically where you learn to wheelie. I say do it, it's fun and if you know how to do one in a controlled, safe environment you're going to gain muscle memory to help you out on the road should your front wheel ever lift off the ground.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
In the UK we have several day programs specifically where you learn to wheelie. I say do it, it's fun and if you know how to do one in a controlled, safe environment you're going to gain muscle memory to help you out on the road should your front wheel ever lift off the ground.

Doesn't getting caught wheelieing by the cops over in the UK carry a substantial penalty?

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
There is a Ducati dude in my neighborhood. I've seen him 3 times for it to be a coincidence. Kinda rides too fast at this hood tbh. Beautiful bike, I wish I could glance at it longer but he's gone before my next blink.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
My Tomos is running like garbage so it's time to find out why. I took the whole engine off. I've been running it stupid rich so there's a ton of carbon deposits on the cylinder head, which I cleaned up, and the spark plug. My reed valves are still fine, so with that all squared away I decided to look at my clutch

And this is a lot better than I expected it to be, but one of the clutch shoes is mostly gone (that's cork as the friction material, btw), so I'm gonna probably going to drop a bunch of bones on a brand new 1st gear clutch that's been re-engineered to not be shitty.

Nice work! Also kind of nice to have an engine you can lift by yourself :P.

Definitely a stupid question but heck, it's tempting. Do you guys think I should learn to wheelie just to know how to do it? It's something I've never tried to do before but it seems like it would be a cool skill to learn. Not sure though, what is the consensus? Does anyone here know how to wheelie?

The only kind I'll probably ever do are power wheelies. Not the ones where I'm messing around with the clutch, just feel it's not worth the risk. Also the added risk, possible penalties and unnecessary wear of ball head bearings/fork seals and all that are just not worth it. Still, a modest power wheelie is alright every once in a while.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Just got word from the shop that the parts I sent off to have sandblasted/painted/coated (ceramic) are done. Hope I can pick them up tomorrow. Can't wait to see what they look like.

In terms of a before shot, the headers looked like this:

20190216_161359etjgf.jpg

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Just got word from the shop that the parts I sent off to have sandblasted/painted/coated (ceramic) are done. Hope I can pick them up tomorrow. Can't wait to see what they look like.

In terms of a before shot, the headers looked like this:

20190216_161359etjgf.jpg
Nice, let's see what the after pics look like once you get them.

Edit: My dog destroyed my dedicated motorcycle GPS. I'm now looking for a replacement. I was thinking about getting the Motorcycle specific one, but at that price I would rather get the daddy of all daddy's. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/539722 - however, both those GPS's I want cost way too much. Man, I don't know how my dog is going to come up with the money to pay for a replacement!

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The result with fancy ceramic coating:

20190328_093859z9kql.jpg

20190328_093919fvk2i.jpg

20190328_093928k3kn6.jpg

And a bunch of other brackets (powder coated):

20190327_2040295xjo7.jpg

Edit: My dog destroyed my dedicated motorcycle GPS. I'm now looking for a replacement. I was thinking about getting the Motorcycle specific one, but at that price I would rather get the daddy of all daddy's. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/539722 - however, both those GPS's I want cost way too much. Man, I don't know how my dog is going to come up with the money to pay for a replacement!

I had a Garmin 660 Zumo, but that never really worked well for me for anything other than just getting to a specific destination. Vastly overpriced in my experience. That Kurviger app on my phone works much, much better. My only worry there is that the phone might not be able to stand up all that well to all of the vibrations, but we'll see. It hasn't died yet.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful! Well worth it, a clean exhaust really improves the look of an older bike as they're the first thing to discolour

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
The result with fancy ceramic coating:

20190328_093859z9kql.jpg

20190328_093919fvk2i.jpg

20190328_093928k3kn6.jpg

And a bunch of other brackets (powder coated):

20190327_2040295xjo7.jpg

I had a Garmin 660 Zumo, but that never really worked well for me for anything other than just getting to a specific destination. Vastly overpriced in my experience. That Kurviger app on my phone works much, much better. My only worry there is that the phone might not be able to stand up all that well to all of the vibrations, but we'll see. It hasn't died yet.
Exhaust is looking nice! Are you going to post when it's on the bike?

Regarding phone GPS, phone was mostly fine but when I used my phone, the camera focus went away making it essentially useless. I do have a spare phone, but when you're deep in the woods/mountains, the gps signal goes away. That's why I prefer a dedicated GPS.

Not a huge deal honestly (if you have a disposable phone), I'm going to give Kurviger a try. I know you have said many times before you like it.

Anyway, something I just wanted to share that I've learned. Apparently the Honda Super Cub is the most sold motor vehicle worldwide with some 100 million sold. The second most sold would be the Toyota Corolla with less than 50 million (40-45 million). I just thought that was interesting. If only I had a dollar for every Super Cub sold...

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, something I just wanted to share that I've learned. Apparently the Honda Super Cub is the most sold motor vehicle worldwide with some 100 million sold. The second most sold would be the Toyota Corolla with less than 50 million (40-45 million). I just thought that was interesting. If only I had a dollar for every Super Cub sold...

Yeah the thing is huge, I still really want one! My dad actually rode one in the 60s when he was young... in the days when the British motorcycle test consisted of the examiner walking down the road 200 yards and then watching you ride past him.

I saw an actual "street cub" in Tokyo last week. Now that's a real die-hard Honda fan's bike. They're still really popular there.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Yeah the thing is huge, I still really want one! My dad actually rode one in the 60s when he was young... in the days when the British motorcycle test consisted of the examiner walking down the road 200 yards and then watching you ride past him.

I saw an actual "street cub" in Tokyo last week. Now that's a real die-hard Honda fan's bike. They're still really popular there.
You were in Tokyo!? Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Super Cub myself. Honestly, if I could justify it and not hurt me financially, I would own one. I mean, I could definitely justify it, it's the financial part that gets me. Every time.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
You were in Tokyo!? Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Super Cub myself. Honestly, if I could justify it and not hurt me financially, I would own one. I mean, I could definitely justify it, it's the financial part that gets me. Every time.

Yeah, little last-minute holiday as I came across some good flight deals. No bike-related news, though I did come across a capsule toy machine that sold mini Motocompo toys (I of course bought one immediately). Now that's a bike I'd love to own, but they are rare as hell here and priced to match.

Looks like I will be in California in a couple months time too for work. Almost considering renting out a bike, but I suspect I'll be too busy to sightsee

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Yeah, little last-minute holiday as I came across some good flight deals. No bike-related news, though I did come across a capsule toy machine that sold mini Motocompo toys (I of course bought one immediately). Now that's a bike I'd love to own, but they are rare as hell here and priced to match.

Looks like I will be in California in a couple months time too for work. Almost considering renting out a bike, but I suspect I'll be too busy to sightsee
Nice. Is this going to be your first time in the US? If anything, you definitely have to try authentic Mexican food. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu, but tacos are where it is at. Hopefully you are able to ride, it doesn't get any better than California.

P.S Taco Bell doesn't count!

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Is this going to be your first time in the US? If anything, you definitely have to try authentic Mexican food. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu, but tacos are where it is at. Hopefully you are able to ride, it doesn't get any better than California.

P.S Taco Bell doesn't count!

I went to New York about 10 years ago (I think just after Obama was elected the first time), but that's it. Certainly I expect I'm gonna have to ditch my European sensibilities and rent a vehicle of some sort to get around

I remember the food from last time well. Oh such portitions...

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Where in California are you going to be, Dougald? I was just out in SFO for a week for GDC, but I lived in LA for ten years in the early aughts.

Going to be 55F here tomorrow. Almost Apr 1st, last real snow date. Time to get the bikes out of the winter storage.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly, SFO. Well, Santa Clara to be specific...

I shall be spending most of my time installing servers in a datacenter that might as well be anywhere in the world, but hey, free trip

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I think the place I'm going is actually across the road (in American terms) from NVIDIA. I'll check it out!

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
Never been more conflicted by the look of a bike than that thing. It's beautiful and horrendous all at the same time... Can never decide if I love it or hate it.

:)