• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I came about *THIS* close to signing the paperwork on a 2018 Multistrada 1260s. Spent about 4 hours at the dealer and took 3 test rides (one solo, two with my lady). The test rides were fairly positive so why didnt I do it?

-The stock windscreen is dogshit...like, one of the most annoying and useless stock screens Ive ever encountered. It has two settings basically: loud and LOUDER WITH BUFFETING.

-The stock seat....holy christ. In both the rider and passenger seat it has a convex ridge that is hard to see in the pictures but its basically a rail for your taint. By the end of the 3rd ride, my balls were starting to go numb. The comfort seat is......$535 for JUST THE RIDER and an additional $300 for the passenger!

-the top case racks are absurdly expensive ($300 for an SW motech one!?)

None of these issues are dealbreakers but ive spent the last year getting my Versys 1000 to a good spot where I like it and the idea of plopping down $23k for a bike that needs at least another $1k right off the bat to be even tolerable is kind of deflating.

Im still tempted because it is an absolute barn burner and all the electronic gizmo suspension and aides absolutely work but its just a tough pill to swallow at this time.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
What about KTM? I test rode one of the new 1090s once and the stock screen was amazingly effective. Seat felt fine though I was on it for all of 10 or 15 minutes.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The screen on the Multistrada is dogshit, I agree. Coming off a BMW RS and onto that, the Ducati felt... cheap. The last thing you want a Ducati to feel.

Oct 29, 2017
What about KTM? I test rode one of the new 1090s once and the stock screen was amazingly effective. Seat felt fine though I was on it for all of 10 or 15 minutes.

I was cursed with stubby legs...all the KTMs ive ever tried to throw a leg over were WAY too tall.

The screen on the Multistrada is dogshit, I agree. Coming off a BMW RS and onto that, the Ducati felt... cheap. The last thing you want a Ducati to feel.

I agree. The one-handed adjustment is nice but the actual aerodynamics of the screen are shockingly awful.

I also just want to say that moto-reviewers are almost totally useless. There are glaring flaws in motorcycles that NOBODY ever comments on in their reviews, but if you go online and search about these issues, there are pages of forum posts complaining about both the seat and the windscreen.

Last edited:

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
If the roads get too messy for an extended period then I might put the tender on for a bit, but it rarely gets used.

I'm in Maine so it's a bit different I imagine. For instance this was the weather this morning:

jesus-christ-maine.jpg

Nice mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and hail today. In April :(.

LesPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I passed my theoretical exam today (Germany), took a driving lesson in the evening and got conformation that I can take my practical exam next week on Wednesday. It has been a good day today :)

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I passed my theoretical exam today (Germany), took a driving lesson in the evening and got conformation that I can take my practical exam next week on Wednesday. It has been a good day today :)

Good work. Once you've passed all the exams, do you know what bikes you'll be looking at?

I'm in Maine so it's a bit different I imagine. For instance this was the weather this morning:

Hmm, yeah, that's a bit of a bummer in April.

I hear we might have frost again later this week. I really hope the salt trucks don't take to the roads again...

I was cursed with stubby legs...all the KTMs ive ever tried to throw a leg over were WAY too tall.

Right, that's too bad.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Damn you and your Dutch legs, Fallout. Some of us don't live in the tallest country in the world :-)

I recently flew KLM and the leg room for someone as vertically challenged as me was heavenly.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
KLM international business.... my feet didn't even reach the foot-rest. But it's ruined flying forever now because I can't normally afford that level of luxury.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
My Puch was running fine last night until it just randomly lost spark and rolled to a stop. The wiring is terrible and I needed to redo it anyway.

On the plus side, i can still lift the whole thing by myself into the back of my Honda Fit.

Deleted member 28192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
for a starter bike i may go with an r3, this is one i saw at the dealer, OTD $5700 - 5800

torn between buying this new or another model (barely) used off CL for $3000-3500. This one looks so damn good but i'd hate to drop it lol

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
for a starter bike i may go with an r3, this is one i saw at the dealer, OTD $5700 - 5800

torn between buying this new or another model (barely) used off CL for $3000-3500. This one looks so damn good but i'd hate to drop it lol

The thing about it is that the Ninja 400 is around the same price. It's a better package overall. Though, nothing wrong with preferring the R3 if you really want it.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Took the afternoon off from work and went out riding instead. Was a beautiful day until I started heading home, and then I got rained on. Stopped at a military training base to stretch my legs for a bit though, I just like walking around the planes and tanks and cannons.

YwBbiLT.jpg

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I saw Lyndon Poskitt from Races to Places last week here in Austin. Pretty awesome guy, very experienced.

Well, apparently he convinced my GF to buy a motorcycle cuz she now wants one to travel with me. Seems fun but being how dangerous it is I wonder if she'll do it. Also she fell in love with the Royal Einfield Himalayan, I'm not opposed, seems like a nice bike to start (she wants new).

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

I have the 2016 model and it has treated me well! I'm only starting my 3rd season of riding though, so others in this thread with much more experience will be able to suggest other options. There is always the possibility that you will ride enough in the first year that you grow tired of it quickly and will want something faster. That has not been my experience, but I also only really ride on the weekends in nice weather, so I'm still having plenty of fun with it. I'm also not really interested in racing or really going anywhere above 70 mph (which it handles perfectly fine), but that's just my preference.

Deleted member 28192

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have the 2016 model and it has treated me well! I'm only starting my 3rd season of riding though, so others in this thread with much more experience will be able to suggest other options. There is always the possibility that you will ride enough in the first year that you grow tired of it quickly and will want something faster. That has not been my experience, but I also only really ride on the weekends in nice weather, so I'm still having plenty of fun with it. I'm also not really interested in racing or really going anywhere above 70 mph (which it handles perfectly fine), but that's just my preference.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I just wanted to have fun, stay safe, maybe look cool, and get used to the road for now. That's why i considered a Grom or a z125 lol

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
If it were my money, I prefer the R3. I think the Versys 300 is still the best starter bike in that cc range, but if you dont like the ADV style its definitely not for you

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
But what about the Ninja 400?!

Also, buy a new one only if cash is not something you have to care about. One of those bikes used you can sell two years later for nearly the same amount of money if it hasn't been abused/damaged.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
+1, I wouldn't buy new for first bike unless there's a really, really good deal. You'll probably be wanting to trade up soon enough, and if you're ever going to embarassingly drop your bike in your own driveway while the engine isn't even running it's more likely to happen in your first couple years of riding

Okay maybe that anecdote was a little too specific to myself

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
But if you really do wanna spend that kind of money, I'll just say it again: try a used 696 before you pull the trigger on a new R3.

Deleted member 28192

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The 400 looks cool, seems more exciting, and felt the best when i sat on it, pretty light, but there aren't any used in my area. They would probably be around $7000 after dealer fees + tax ($4999 sticker price atm), while the 2018 dealer R3 is $5500-5700 out the door. The 696 seems like it would fit me too, but none near me either.

I don't mean to be super stingy but i wanted to get in with like a low-entry price wise, just to see if this is really for me. Though, "low entry" seems subjective, i was thinking 3k - 5.5k tops. Let me know if i should reconsider haha.

EDIT: Shit i might even wait till the Ninja 400 goes on sale lol, i just have the bike bug right now

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The 400 looks cool, seems more exciting, and felt the best when i sat on it, pretty light, but there aren't any used in my area. They would probably be around $7000 after dealer fees + tax ($4999 sticker price atm), while the 2018 dealer R3 is $5500-5700 out the door. The 696 seems like it would fit me too, but none near me either.

I don't mean to be super stingy but i wanted to get in with like a low-entry price wise, just to see if this is really for me. Though, "low entry" seems subjective, i was thinking 3k - 5.5k tops. Let me know if i should reconsider haha.

EDIT: Shit i might even wait till the Ninja 400 goes on sale lol, i just have the bike bug right now

3k to 5.5k gives you a lot to work with. Definitely wouldn't call it low entry in terms of budget.

On the subject of distance, how far would you have to drive to get a look at a used Ninja 400 or a 696 in that price range? As a simple rule of thumb: the bikes that are worth looking at are never in your neighbourhood. The least I have ever had to drive to check one out was an hour. 9 times out of 10 it was 2.5 hours, making it a 5 hour return trip. And the Netherlands is a small country...

What I'm trying to say is that it can be worth it to make a little effort to find the right bike. Especially if you're buying private, since it doesn't really matter where you buy. Warranty as far as the door anyway.

If you're willing to try buying a used bike, it might be a good idea to have someone tag along that is skilled in the arts of buying used. You do kinda need to know some things to look out for, but if you can spot a good one, it's a much better option than buying new and writing off 20% of the value when you roll it out of the dealership. And that's on the first day.

Upsides to buying new: no fear of buying a dud, ride care free knowing your bike is brand new and issue free, and on the off chance there is an issue, you just take it in for service under warranty. But all this does come at a price.

I would advise against buying used from a dealer (when it's on the 'low end' of the market, so sub 5 grand bikes). The premium over buying from private is way too high and they'll make you pay for all sorts of pre-delivery maintenance they're not actually doing. And if you have warranty on what you're buying, they'll have the intern mechanic 'fix' it because they're cheap like that. There's exceptions of course, but this is what experience has told me in almost 15 years of buying motorcycles for myself and for friends and family.

Lastly, I think the Ninja 400 is worth checking out because I suspect it'll have a bit more legs than the R3 (this applies to the 696 as well). The equipment is probably better (suspension/brakes/tires) and there's a bit more power there. You'll be able to enjoy it for longer before you're moving on to something else. /edit: that's not to say the R3 isn't a good option, but now you have a better idea of what one offers over the other.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Like fallout said, I traveled 350 miles one way for my first new to me used bike. 700 miles round trip. My current bike, I traveled like 16 hours round trip to get it. Took the bus and rode it back from a state away.

I know we all keep coming back to the Ninja 400, but I checked the prices of dealerships around me and I have seen some 2018's for 4k. The best thing you could do right now is figure out the type of riding you want to do and get the appropriate bike and come up with a plan. Wether you want to buy a first "cheap starter" and then move up or BUY A HAYABUSA FROM THE GET GO.

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, having the right tools is the main problem.
I mean, I can build turbines at work but would have no chance in my garage.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... How does one learn this skill?

Back in 1995 I did a total strip down and rebuild of my 1976 Harley Sportster. Got the frame and bodywork all powder coated, replaced the engine mounts with upgraded versions (the stock ones always cracked), and just generally refreshed and cleaned the entire bike. Took me a whole winter to do it, Fortnine is much quicker than I was!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Back in 1995 I did a total strip down and rebuild of my 1976 Harley Sportster. Got the frame and bodywork all powder coated, replaced the engine mounts with upgraded versions (the stock ones always cracked), and just generally refreshed and cleaned the entire bike. Took me a whole winter to do it, Fortnine is much quicker than I was!

Do you still have that Sportster?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you still have that Sportster?

Gosh no, that was six Harleys ago!

However, the buddy I sold it to still rides it today. It even still that custom paint job I put on it!

Next week I'll be due for my first oil change on the Goldwing. I'm eager to see how a Honda oil change compares to a Harley oil change....

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Gosh no, that was six Harleys ago!

However, the buddy I sold it to still rides it today. It even still that custom paint job I put on it!

Next week I'll be due for my first oil change on the Goldwing. I'm eager to see how a Honda oil change compares to a Harley oil change....
Did you do a 600 mile service? I just broke 1000 miles and I think I need to do the first service. However, I have to admit, I haven't read the manual. So I'm not sure when it is due. I always take it to the mechanic for the first service.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
The first service on the new Goldwing is 4000 miles, per the manual, the service manual, and Honda headquarters. Many dealers are trying to sell a 600 mile service but it's not needed, they are just trying to make some money.
I ask because I have read online that my bike is also at 4,000 miles. But I don't have a manual myself. That's why I was asking you. I know we don't have the exact same bike but it's the same for both. Oil change intervals are every 8k miles. That's crazy.

So you'll be doing the oil change yourself? I have also read that it's super easy to do. What oil do you typically use?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So you'll be doing the oil change yourself? I have also read that it's super easy to do. What oil do you typically use?

In my Harleys I always used Mobil 1 V-twin full synthetic, the HD Syn3 oil is kinda crappy. For the Goldwing though I'll be using the Honda GN4 oil, what the manual specs for. I've read that the DCT just seems to shift better with the Honda oil, plus it's not very expensive at my local dealer anyway so I don't really see a reason to try to use anything else just to save a dollar or so.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Did a couple of small things last Friday.

Finalized the routing of the new oil lines:
whatsappimage2019-04bwjwb.jpeg

Made sure the final drive bearing was lubricated after being parked at an angle for 9 years:
whatsappimage2019-046njon.jpeg

Opened up the carburetor a second time to change a few more o-rings and gaskets:
whatsappimage2019-045mjkn.jpeg

This is what we could replace:
whatsappimage2019-041ljwb.jpeg

And removed the bubbled logo from the tank with a dull knife:
whatsappimage2019-045yku5.jpeg

After an hour or two:
whatsappimage2019-04eqk6w.jpeg

Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to remove that thick layer of glue to get the new letters on there.

All that's left now is a minor tear down of the front brake caliper in terms of dirty jobs. The rest is just putting it back together again. Hopefully it's not too much of a hassle to tune the thing properly now that it has a 1250 kit.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Surgical spirit works great for removing glue from old tank stickers, try that. Whatever alcohol-based disinfectant your local pharmacy sells.