• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I have a deep loathing of Toyota, but that's mostly because the Prius I owned was the biggest PoS ever and the dealership were useless with it, so I don't like them, and it's a chain that own every dealer for a good 50 miles

And yeah, cars in the US are ridiculously cheap. Until you get down to the bottom of the market, I guess. I think value tends to drop a lot faster in Europe

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It will never cease to amaze me just how much cheaper cars are in the US.

Yeah, we just don't have as much taxes on top, which might be the reason. We do however have very limited choices if you want a small affordable car though.

Same with motorcycles. That and our license tests are so easy its almost a joke. I can go to the DMV and take a 20 minute test on any bike over 100cc and get a full license, which I can then go out and buy a supersport liter bike or something like that.

I have a deep loathing of Toyota, but that's mostly because the Prius I owned was the biggest PoS ever and the dealership were useless with it, so I don't like them, and it's a chain that own every dealer for a good 50 miles

And yeah, cars in the US are ridiculously cheap. Until you get down to the bottom of the market, I guess. I think value tends to drop a lot faster in Europe

I just always wondered since most Europeans drive a lot more European cars. Though here in the US, VW and fiat are the only Euro brands that sell affordable cars. And they're more expensive to maintain than Japanese cars, which is why I was wondering. Like, I don't think I'd ever buy a VW when I could spend the same amount on a Honda, Toyota, or Mazda, and it would cost me less to maintain over the years.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I just always wondered since most Europeans drive a lot more European cars. Though here in the US, VW and fiat are the only Euro brands that sell affordable cars. And they're more expensive to maintain than Japanese cars, which is why I was wondering. Like, I don't think I'd ever buy a VW when I could spend the same amount on a Honda, Toyota, or Mazda, and it would cost me less to maintain over the years.

A lot of the Euro brands also have their own value cars, too. If you don't want to spend out for a VW, you can get a Skoda or a Seat based on the same platform... same with Renault and Dacia, etc. Kind of like GM with all their different cars that were based on other sub-brands.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A lot of the Euro brands also have their own value cars, too. If you don't want to spend out for a VW, you can get a Skoda or a Seat based on the same platform... same with Renault and Dacia, etc. Kind of like GM with all their different cars that were based on other sub-brands.

Makes sense. Because we also don't get any of those 4 brands in the US. The Fiat 500, Fiat 500X, and the VW Jetta are the only Euro cars sold in the US that list bellow $20k USD.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
One of my Firebolt's chin spoiler brackets decided to snap on the way to get a new front tire (typical), got it welded and polished it up a bit.

vE3SakP.jpg

I reckon it could get away with not having the spoiler at all and still look alright.

UPQ32Iu.jpg

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I see motorcycle racing at Pikes peak is no more due to safety, what a bummer

We'll always have the Isle of Man

Oct 29, 2017
I see motorcycle racing at Pikes peak is no more due to safety, what a bummer

We'll always have the Isle of Man

I dunno if I would say that we'll always have IOM. Eventually there will just be too many deaths for people to stomach and there will be a call for it to be shut down too. Bikes are just getting too fast and there is too small of a margin for error.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I would say that we'll always have IOM. Eventually there will just be too many deaths for people to stomach and there will be a call for it to be shut down too. Bikes are just getting too fast and there is too small of a margin for error.

To be honest, I don't see it going away. People die every single year (if not at the TT then the Classic TT or Manx), and it's a huge moneymaker for the Island

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
I saw an article about it too a few days ago. Faired bikes have already been banned (I forget what the specific reason was though) before Carlin Dunne's death on Pikes Peak. They didn't decide on a permanent ban yet but they said bikes won't be competing next year.

EDIT: Apparently the earlier ban was for bikes that left the factory with clip-on handlebars (so essentialy all superbikes, etc), citing that the riding position is so low that you might not notice hazards on the road or such.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Last non-bike related post, but I went with a Golf GTD Estate in the end. Riding to work all summer though!

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Dear BikeEra, I got to ride a Grom yesterday. It was great fun.

It also happens to be very noisy, fitted with a Mugen muffler, it's louder than my 250.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Does anyone have experience with this? I haven't used my motorcycle in a few weeks. Problem is that it's just sitting inside the open shed. Birds (which we all know aren't real) keep shitting on my bike. How do I scare them away??

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Hahaha when you have a solution tell us all how we can get rid of them. Sadly there aren't enough cats in my neighborhood. The doves here are so precise in hitting my bike it's would be awesome if it wasn't so sad.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Buy a cheap bike cover or invest in a shed with doors!

I cover my bikes even when they're in the garage to keep the dust off 'em over winter

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Yeah I suppose a dust cover will do. I haven't invested in one because I am not too sure if high humidity is an issue for a motorcycle under a dust cover?

In other news, found another free air machine. Went ahead and filled up to spec. Tires were warm but I figure deflating the tire and inflating it back up might be ok?

jewkNCr.jpg

She just hit 1,000 miles right before turning it off and parking it. It's time for the first service.

Fake edit: The Valkyrie calls for the first service at 4,000 miles. Not quite there yet but I think I'm close.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Free Air? I remember those... usually some scrote had nicked the adapter at the end of the hose, or they were always broken. Still love, love, love that SV650. It's the perfect combination runaround/commuter/sunday riding machine, IMO

I'm finally starting my new job tomorrow and going from a commute of 10 feet to 15 miles. A whole summer of riding awaits! Unfortunately I blew my "smart-casual office riding trousers" budget on the new car, so I'm going to be losing most of the time I save to changing clothes before and after work this year

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Free Air? I remember those... usually some scrote had nicked the adapter at the end of the hose, or they were always broken. Still love, love, love that SV650. It's the perfect combination runaround/commuter/sunday riding machine, IMO

I'm finally starting my new job tomorrow and going from a commute of 10 feet to 15 miles. A whole summer of riding awaits! Unfortunately I blew my "smart-casual office riding trousers" budget on the new car, so I'm going to be losing most of the time I save to changing clothes before and after work this year
It's the only time I ever pray, that they don't mess up those machines. Congrats on the new job. I too moved to another contract with a little more pay under the same company. Who knows what may happen... With a little more extra income... I certainly don't think I'll end up with any more motorcycles though. No, that's preposterous.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only time I ever pray, that they don't mess up those machines. Congrats on the new job. I too moved to another contract with a little more pay under the same company. Who knows what may happen... With a little more extra income... I certainly don't think I'll end up with any more motorcycles though. No, that's preposterous.

Spoken like a man who knows he's going to end up with another bike!

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'm not buying a Grom or a Cub as well as our other two bikes in the next year is if I have a kid, to be honest

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Yeah, I thought the same but until know (4 months old and awesome!), our little buy didn't hurt our finances on any way. We are borrowing the clothes and my other items from my sister in law.
I'm trying to get my wife I to the idea of introducing our son into Motorsports when he gets older :D.

mobile.114ej39.jpeg

Removed the tankpanels and I'm thinking about changing the colors of those panel from silver/grey to black. Slimmer side panels would make this so much better looking. Maybe I find other ones somewhere.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
The only way I'm not buying a Grom or a Cub as well as our other two bikes in the next year is if I have a kid, to be honest
Buy the bikes. Have the kid. Now you have someone to teach and ride with. Best of all, they can't say no when you invite them to ride! It's like... Michael's Scott's best dream.

Yeah, I thought the same but until know (4 months old and awesome!), our little buy didn't hurt our finances on any way. We are borrowing the clothes and my other items from my sister in law.
I'm trying to get my wife I to the idea of introducing our son into Motorsports when he gets older :D.

mobile.114ej39.jpeg

Removed the tankpanels and I'm thinking about changing the colors of those panel from silver/grey to black. Slimmer side panels would make this so much better looking. Maybe I find other ones somewhere.
Is that the stock exhaust? Looks nice.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Right. I really love this underslung exhausts.
Do they have any problems with e.g. increased maintenance from road exposure and/or difficulty of access? The underside of my DRZ's exhaust has already had all the matte black paint peel off I presume from road salt and debris, sort of unsightly but not something you can easily see.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Hey I was wondering. Is there a Car-ERA thread? Just got a new vehicle and have some questions about mods and maintenance.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Hey I was wondering. Is there a Car-ERA thread? Just got a new vehicle and have some questions about mods and maintenance.

There is, they even stole/parodied our subtitle!

Fun bikes, but sooo slow. They struggle to hit 50. I bought Grom clone, less than 100 miles later I swapped the motor.

I can believe it, my wife had a CG125 clone, with some creative gearing it could hit 60 going downhill with a tailwind...

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
After this talk of free air... I just paid 50p at a garage and all I got was a flat tyre.

I'm really, really glad I keep a couple of CO2 canisters under my seat. Got me home instead of waiting for a recovery service

Oct 27, 2017
Americans - it it possible to get a motorcycle for below $2000 from a dealership? My car's transmission blew, and I think I'm just gonna replace it with a bike since I'm moving to a new town thats much more bicycle/pedestrian/motorcycle friendly. I'm flat broke and can't buy one outright, but I've got decent enough credit to finance one.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'm flat broke and can't buy one outright, but I've got decent enough credit to finance one.

I'd recommend a bicycle if you're flat broke.

If you're determined though, 2k bikes are usually not the (brand) dealers purview. Here in the Netherlands we have what we call traders that are brand agnostic and tend to have more stuff on the showroom floor that is not as expensive. However, odds are that an older/cheaper bike will cost more sooner in terms of maintenance. To mitigate, get a Kawasaki or a Honda and make damn sure all of the wear items are 70 to a 100% (tires, brake pads, battery).

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy a chinese bike. I know they're cheap. I know a lot of them look cool. Don't do it, they're shit and only passable if you're happy to constantly fettle them

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say look for a Ninja 250, it's inexpensive, reliable and it's what most Americans seem to start out on.