• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Almost bite it on my commute to work yesterday.

Someone spilled some slippery stuff on the road and I didn't see it.

Wow, good save, that looked scary as hell!

On a different note, looks like for Ewan McGregor and Charlie Borman's upcoming Long Way Up they will be riding on Harley Davidson Livewires from Argentina to LA? Electric bikes? Really???

This just screams paid for promotional event to me. I wonder if they will be shadowed by generator trucks charging spare batteries the whole way up?

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the original BMWs also promotion material? I'm lukewarm on them doing it on LiveWires. Don't mind the electric, just that these aren't adventure bikes, and I wanted another adventure. I will still 100% watch the show/movie/doc (whatever it turns out to be).

I wonder if Charley being a Triump ambassador and Ewan a Moto Guzzi ambassador had a part on this. They had to chose another brand that didn't exactly compete with them.

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been in here in a while, University is kicking my ass so I don't get a lot of time to visit Era much anymore. Glad to see most of the same users posting in here, hope you're all doing well.

Update on my end:

Sold my CMX500A. Now to go undertake my unrestricted license exam and look for a new bike!

Tossing up between an iron 883 or a 765 Street Triple but idk, there are so many options.

Almost bite it on my commute to work yesterday.

Someone spilled some slippery stuff on the road and I didn't see it.

Holy shit that was close, awesome save Ocho.

Can I ask what camera you're using? the quality is crisp AF!

Last edited:

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Sold my CMX500A. Now to go undertake my unrestricted license exam and look for a new bike!

Tossing up between an iron 883 or a 765 Street Triple but idk, there are so many options.
Personally I'd go with a Street Triple any day of the week. A good friend of mine sold his 821 Monster and bought a iron 883 this summer. Let's just say I spent lots of time looking in my mirrors and behind me waiting for him to catch up :p . The 883 looks dope and sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust but it's not exactly quick in a straight line or in turns.

The 883 is more of a sidestep from the CMX500 than a step up, compared to the street triple at least. Def. worth trying a street triple or a naked bike in general before you make your decision. The only reason I went with my Speed Triple over a Street was the unusually low asking price, even the 675 streets were more expensive than my 1050 speed at the time.

I've put on about 20 000km more on my Speed Triple and I could still easily ask the same price I paid for it, lol.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DoIyWithDan made a great video a while back on the Yamaha Bolt vs Iron 883. He said the Yamaha Bolt is better than the Iron 883. Here's the vid

I was contemplating the Bolt R-spec for a while too, they're a cool bike. I wish the current Vulcan 650s models came in a bigger engine with the same styling, they look slick too.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been in here in a while, University is kicking my ass so I don't get a lot of time to visit Era much anymore. Glad to see most of the same users posting in here, hope you're all doing well.

Update on my end:

Holy shit that was close, awesome save Ocho.

Can I ask what camera you're using? the quality is crisp AF!

Thanks! GoPro Hero 6

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I was contemplating the Bolt R-spec for a while too, they're a cool bike. I wish the current Vulcan 650s models came in a bigger engine with the same styling, they look slick too.
The Vulcan 650 is such a sexy bike isn't it? Are you looking for a cruiser? I can think of a few from Honda, 745cc Honda Shadow Phantom, the 700cc Honda CTX 700 (though, this one is a Dual Clutch Transmission aka automatic). There's also the Honda CTX 1300.

Choosing a new bike is always hard!! Good luck with the search!! Which bike is at the top of your list right now?

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Vulcan 650 is such a sexy bike isn't it? Are you looking for a cruiser? I can think of a few from Honda, 745cc Honda Shadow Phantom, the 700cc Honda CTX 700 (though, this one is a Dual Clutch Transmission aka automatic). There's also the Honda CTX 1300.

Choosing a new bike is always hard!! Good luck with the search!! Which bike is at the top of your list right now?

I think a Street triple 765 R is, but I'm in no rush to grab a new bike at the moment. Still need to go do my open license exam, which lets me ride bikes over 650cc. I also need to lock down a new car soon because my car is on its last legs, so the bike will have to come after that unfortunately lol

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Doing it on Livewires feels so forced and sponsored. At least it appears they've tried to give them somewhat of a makeover.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My criminal law lecturer overheard me talking about bikes to another student after the lecture and started a chat about them. Turns out he's the founder of the Aprilia owners club of Australia haha, he recommended a V4 Tuono. Not sure if anyone else has experience with these bikes but they sure are pretty. Here's one for sale a few minutes from me:

89-D7-B360-A871-45-FB-8-FCD-04-B24-D75-E24-B.jpg

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
4 degrees, my dash said it was this morning. Yeah, I think the season is over...

Its just starting where I live, though its still kinda warm. Driving to work this morning around 8:30 my car read 88°F/31°C. Can't wait for it to start cooling down more.

Unfortunately, I still don't have a bike. Sold my DR350 last year and haven't replaced it yet. Thought I wanted something different, but looks like I'll just get another dual sport or dirt bike because I like riding dirt trails too much.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Still 36/96 here. My gf is contemplating moving to some other state but I've jokingly shut her down if it snows whatsoever.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
My criminal law lecturer overheard me talking about bikes to another student after the lecture and started a chat about them. Turns out he's the founder of the Aprilia owners club of Australia haha, he recommended a V4 Tuono. Not sure if anyone else has experience with these bikes but they sure are pretty. Here's one for sale a few minutes from me:

89-D7-B360-A871-45-FB-8-FCD-04-B24-D75-E24-B.jpg
If you're willing to overlook potentially massive maintenance/repair bills and are very confident in your self restraint it's amazing. I'm not the best person to say this but that bike is pretty crazy for your first unrestricted bike (even the older V4's have 160+ bhp).

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
4 degrees, my dash said it was this morning. Yeah, I think the season is over...

I really wanted a couple of days ride into Sauerland (from the Netherlands) before the season is really done... Feels like my window is closing fast and I need to make quick plans to get it done.

or get some proper winter gear...

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
31744-C7-E-8-B64-4-DE9-BB2-E-84-A670612407.jpg

The new GSX-R750 looks sleek. Seems like good reviews online, wondering if anyone else has experience?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be a dual clutch or manual? Just curious.

I'd get the DCT. I know two guys who own DCT Africa Twins and they both say it works flawlessly in offroad situations, even preferring the DCT over manual shifting on trails. After riding 10K miles on my Wing's DCT I'm certain I'd prefer it on the Twin too.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
OK, SV650 is ready after a fix up. Just gotta pick it up from the store it was bought from, a state away. My cousin is thinking of riding it back. It will be his first long distance ride. Wellp, better teach them the pain at a young age huh?

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Not sure if you guys remember I had mentioned a friend had a DRZ and it was stolen. Went to the military and 2 years later, 2 days ago bought an SV650. Well, he's a bad influence on me because he managed to find some pretty good exhausts for the bikes. Just got this shorty chrome exhaust. I hope I made the right choice because I also really liked the "turnout" version as well. Ultimately opted for the shorty.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those exhausts don't look bad at all, though I kinda dislike chrome on bikes in general. If those had a matte black or carbon black finish I'd jump on them lol.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, haven't posted for some time, bit busy. Probably won't get much better in the coming period, but I'll try to check in every once in a while.

Here's a few (phone) pictures from the trip to France I took last September. Not that long ago, but already feels like it's well in the rear view mirror at this point.

20190913_200912b4kwm.jpg

20190912_19210112jdb.jpg

20190913_195906k2kfi.jpg

20190908_094159pukbj.jpg

Still one of the best places on earth to ride. I mean just look at that second picture.

Y'all see this bit of news. Seems so bizarre to me they're doing long way up on those bikes. Ewan and Charley spotted doing long way up.

From the article:

Many adventure riders scoffed at the news McGregor and Boorman would be riding e-bikes (especially Harley-Davidson models) on their Long Way Up from Tierra del Fuego to Los Angeles, assuming it was all about the financial sponsorship. But when you think about it, any brand would be foolish not to invest in supporting this project, so the choice likely has less to do with cash than it does McGregor's fascination with the future of EV technology.

Not sure how the writer thought those two sentences were supposed to go together... Am not discounting the fact that Ewan might have an honest interest in EV technology - I mean who doesn't? - but when you think about the range of those bikes, especially the piss poor range of a Livewire, it instantly makes the show feel a lot less realistic. Hope they're at least kinda upfront about necessary trickery in that regard.

Last edited:

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Not sure how the writer thought those two sentences were supposed to go together... Am not discounting the fact that Ewan might have an honest interest in EV technology - I mean who doesn't? - but when you think about the range of those bikes, especially the piss poor range of a Livewire, it instantly makes the show feel a lot less realistic. Hope they're at least kinda upfront about necessary trickery in that regard.
Not to mention that the bike looks nothing like it's remotely capable of being an adventure or scrambler style bike...

juef8f0g_harleydavidson-liivewire_625x300_08_January_19.jpg

They're going to have to do all sorts of ridiculous modifications to get it off-road ready if they're going to tackle any terrain remotely similar to previous series. Unless there is some unannounced livewire variant with completely different geometry, I can't see it happening. Boorman has a deal with Triumph and McGregor is with Moto Guzzi, I'd be shocked if neither of those brands weren't used.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Great photos Fallout-NL thanks for sharing!

I've been super busy at my new job and honestly haven't had time to do any more than basic commuting riding. Probably it for me this season.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
We got 45cm of snow here this week. I'm still holding out hope that it will clear and give me one more month of riding hah

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that the bike looks nothing like it's remotely capable of being an adventure or scrambler style bike...

juef8f0g_harleydavidson-liivewire_625x300_08_January_19.jpg

They're going to have to do all sorts of ridiculous modifications to get it off-road ready if they're going to tackle any terrain remotely similar to previous series. Unless there is some unannounced livewire variant with completely different geometry, I can't see it happening. Boorman has a deal with Triumph and McGregor is with Moto Guzzi, I'd be shocked if neither of those brands weren't used.

They have been at it for weeks now. I believe they are in Chile.

They are running 4 adventurized Livewires (swap them). They also have a 5 car convoy to help them with the trip.

My opinions are that they chose a brand and bike that wouldn't make Guzzi/Triumph angry over it.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Swapping between bikes and being clearly followed by a large convoy goes so against the tone of the original series, such a shame.

Even if we know they had to essentially swap at least one of those BMWs out once

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Swapping between bikes and being clearly followed by a large convoy goes so against the tone of the original series, such a shame.

Even if we know they had to essentially swap at least one of those BMWs out once

I agree, it feels more like a paid for advertisement now than a motorcycle adventure. Ah well.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
They have been at it for weeks now. I believe they are in Chile.

They are running 4 adventurized Livewires (swap them). They also have a 5 car convoy to help them with the trip.

My opinions are that they chose a brand and bike that wouldn't make Guzzi/Triumph angry over it.
That's disappointing. I assumed they may have just used them for a leg or two of the trip.

I'm interested to see how it works but it is also extremely disappointing knowing that they need a convoy to make the journey swapping out bikes (even though in reality it was the same situation with other trips having available backups). Plus the fact that it's essentially a paid ad by my most despised motorcycle brand doesn't help.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Also kind of defeats the whole eco-friendly purpose of an electric bike. Though I admit, just the added exposure for electric 'solutions' (okay they're not really solutions yet) might offset the fact that it's just plain dumb, just a bit .

Great photos @Fallout-NL thanks for sharing!

Sure thing.

Probably it for me this season.

Yeah the weather has been especially garbage as of late. Still, I hope the massive amounts of rain at least do something to replenish depleted ground water levels (don't think we've had this much rain in years).

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a few (phone) pictures from the trip to France I took last September. Not that long ago, but already feels like it's well in the rear view mirror at this point.

Looks fantastic. Where is this in France (and do you have a route you'd be willing to share)

Went to France for the first time this year, with the family in a car - and couldn't stop thinking about taking my bike along those country roads.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Looks fantastic. Where is this in France (and do you have a route you'd be willing to share)

That mountain you see in the pictures above is the Ventoux (so in the Provence), a lot of fun to ride up and around, but the surrounding area is actually even better. You can make 200km trips where you encounter maybe 5 or 10 cars and a handful of small villages during the entire ride with picture perfect roads. It's incredible:

20190915_141624ivkvg.jpg

(To paraphrase Todd Howard: see that mountain in the distance? You can go there - over curvy roads, haha.)

And yes, I have a few great routes! I can mail em to you or just let me know when you need them.

Went to France for the first time this year, with the family in a car - and couldn't stop thinking about taking my bike along those country roads.

Haha, that was me 5 years ago (well I didn't have kids back then yet, but I was in France with my parents). It was absolute torture seeing those roads, seeing all the motorcyclists go by and not being able to ride myself. I bought that little trailer shortly after. At first my dad thought I was crazy. Too much hassle and - in a way - almost too decadent. But we've been going there for a few years now and during our last stay in September my parents made a point of thanking me for kind of making the whole riding in France thing happen. They would never have thought to do something like that for themselves.

Last edited: