• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble deciding what bike to go with next lmao. Quite like the looks on some of the Yamaha Bolt R-specs.

I'm just in a weird spot where I'm really not sure what I want next. A cruiser, a sports bike, a chill road bike with a more upright position... ugh.

Last edited:

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Put my Speed Triple on sale today just to see if there's any buyers before I put it in to winter storage. Was planning on selling it by the end of next season anyway.

Kinda want to try a supermoto or a 1000cc sports bike, a K5/K6 GSX-R was my dream bike along with the speed triple back in 2006 so I'm tempted to try one of those before I get older and my back or knees can't take it, lol.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Got another bike! Posted on here a few months back about getting a Ninja 250 and finishing the MSF. I really enjoy the 250 and always planned on upgrading...was originally going to wait 6 months or so but ran across a really good deal on a Yamaha FZ6R Decided what the heck and bought it! Really enjoying the bike, definitely much more powerful than my 250. Garage is starting to get a bit full though! Between the 2 bikes I've put on a bit over 600 miles already. Thankfully living in the south makes riding season last most of the year. December, January and February might be a bit cold but you could definitely handle it with the proper gear.
20190914_164318rwk2i.jpg

20191011_19265508kr5.jpg

EDIT: Meant FZ6R and not R6, whoops!

Last edited:

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Whelp, put the Speed Triple for sale on Monday and the new owner is coming to pick it up tomorrow. Funny thing is I paid 4000eur for it, put 20 000km on it and sold it for 4200e. Gonna be keeping my eye on the used market for 1000cc superbikes this winter, preferably a K5 or a K6 GSX-R.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Got another bike! Posted on here a few months back about getting a Ninja 250 and finishing the MSF. I really enjoy the 250 and always planned on upgrading...was originally going to wait 6 months or so but ran across a really good deal on a Yamaha YZF-R6. Decided what the heck and bought it!

There is bad news and there is good news.

Bad:

I hope that bike wasn't sold to you as an R6, because it's not. It's a fully faired FZ6. The engine is similar, though detuned and instead of the alu frame and upside down forks you get a steel frame and 'normal' forks + a wider set of bars instead of clipons.

Good:

What you bought is actually much more suited to street riding and is not such a enormous jump in power compared to the 250. I hope the price still makes sense given this information.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
There is bad news and there is good news.

Bad:

I hope that bike wasn't sold to you as an R6, because it's not. It's a fully faired FZ6. The engine is similar, though detuned and instead of the alu frame and upside down forks you get a steel frame and 'normal' forks + a wider set of bars instead of clipons.

Good:

What you bought is actually much more suited to street riding and is not such a enormous jump in power compared to the 250. I hope the price still makes sense given this information.
Oh yes, fully aware it's not an R6, was originally looking at a Ninja 650 but this popped up for 2,800 so I decided to grab it. Still very much in the learning phase so wanted a nice jump in power but nothing tremendous.

EDIT: Whoops meant to put FZ6R and not R6. I see now why you posted that. My bad!

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I've made the last payment on the Valkyrie and she's officially mine!

I know that generally a lot of you guys are against financing a "toy", but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't afford it. I mostly do it because it makes more sense (using the money elsewhere) and so that I can build up my credit.

Season isn't quite over for me just yet. I will continue to ride (albeit a lot less) until there's salt on the roads or the temps hit 0c/32f. Fall is a beautiful season to give up riding.

I need to find some universal highway pegs. I could really use them.

Fallout-NL
That "second picture" is amazing. I love it. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Sorry, double post

Edit:
Wellp, story time. I remember mentioning my boss was about to get a promotion and he mentioned if he did he was going to buy a motorcycle. Well, last month he took his BRC and got his license. Bought a motorcycle the same day for some $1500. It was some 1300cc Harley cruiser. Rode it for about 2 or 3 weeks. He was having fuel issues that needed to be resolved. He was going for a test drive after some wrenching and said that a dog ran right in front of him. Trying to avoid the dog, he crashed the bike going about 20mph. Issue is that he was only wearing a helmet. Just because it was a short test drive. Got some road rash, brusings, swelling, and limps. Rings true what they say, most crashes happen when you are close to home. I just hope he doesn't get discouraged. Doesn't seem like he is, but the bike needs some fixing.

Anyways, no one will admit it but I was the first person to start riding a bike to the particular place I work at. I'm fairly certain I started the domino effect because after me riding to work, a lot of the clients started bringing in their bikes too!! There's 6 motorcyclists that I counted. I'll try not to take all the credit because the site was under construction still, it just recently went out of construction, so I'm guessing no one really wanted to deal with dirty motorcycles.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I think Honda sell the current Monkey in the US. At the very least, they sell the Grom it's based on!

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heading up north to check out a Bolt R-Spec 2014 tomorrow, dude has been really honest about the condition and the price is really solid. Also has a big Vance and Hines exhaust pipe upgrade and air filter swap that really fills out the frame nicely and gives it a louder, richer sound than stock.

He has a new triumph so we'll go for a ride together and if I like it, I'll leave a deposit and my new project bike is mine 😁 So damn excited to step up from my CMX500A, though that was a really nice bike too.

Oct 29, 2017
Ducati just made their 2020 model year unveiling. Highlights are:

Panigale: V4s that looks like this years V4R with aero

2020-Panigale-V4-S-02.jpg

Panigale V2: replaces the 959, has current year V4 styling but with the twin engine. 155 HP claimed

ducati-panigale-v2.jpg

Streetfighter V4: exactly what you think it is. Naked version of the V4. 208 HP stock and 220hp with Akra full system

panigale-v4-streetfighter.jpg

Multistrada 1260GT: Pretty much the same bike but with more LED lights, more plush seat and tire pressure monitoring

Ducati_1260S_GT.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Kawasaki also revealed the Supercharged Z H2. Claimed 198HP...which seems strangely low for a 1000cc supercharged motorcycle.

Kawasaki_Z_H2_05.jpg

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
The front end of the Z H2 is kind of hideous and way too bulky in my opinion, but the V4 Streetfigher? Mamma mia! I'd take one in a heartbeat :p

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I suspect they've down tuned it just so they don't cannibalize the superbike premium, but I imagine with some simple tuning mods people will easily get 15-20% more power out of it like they did with the H2.

With that said, I will never understand why anyone would want a 200hp naked. The fear of hanging on with wind blast is well any truly there with 130hp, let alone 150hp. I can't imagine what's like with that sort of power.

Oct 29, 2017
I suspect they've down tuned it just so they don't cannibalize the superbike premium, but I imagine with some simple tuning mods people will easily get 15-20% more power out of it like they did with the H2.

With that said, I will never understand why anyone would want a 200hp naked. The fear of hanging on with wind blast is well any truly there with 130hp, let alone 150hp. I can't imagine what's like with that sort of power.

Yeah, plus they usually retune the engine to increase the torque but lower the top end for this reason....but I dont think this bike needs any more torque lol.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I purchased that Bolt R-Spec I was talking about, really clean bike and it's had quite a bit done to it already. Nice and loud, smooth engine with very little vibration, comfortable seat and surprisingly enough, more stable than my CMX500 in slow turns. Just surprising considering that it's just shy of 250kg.

Dude bought a new Bonneville and needed it sold quickly, so not gonna lie, I bought it for about $1100 less that R-specs of a similar year and mileage (2014, 9k kms), and that's without considering that he has a full genuine Yamaha servicing history and has spent over $2k on it in upgrades. Apparently I responded to him like 3 hours after he uploaded the ad lol. Stoked.

D2-EB8-EC2-AF32-417-D-93-E0-73-B7-D63-F45-C7.jpg

Ducati just made their 2020 model year unveiling. Highlights are... /snip

That street fighter is beautiful

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I purchased that Bolt R-Spec I was talking about, really clean bike and it's had quite a bit done to it already. Nice and loud, smooth engine with very little vibration, comfortable seat and surprisingly enough, more stable than my CMX500 in slow turns. Just surprising considering that it's just shy of 250kg.

Dude bought a new Bonneville and needed it sold quickly, so not gonna lie, I bought it for about $1100 less that R-specs of a similar year and mileage (2014, 9k kms), and that's without considering that he has a full genuine Yamaha servicing history and has spent over $2k on it in upgrades. Apparently I responded to him like 3 hours after he uploaded the ad lol. Stoked.

D2-EB8-EC2-AF32-417-D-93-E0-73-B7-D63-F45-C7.jpg

That street fighter is beautiful
Nice, it's looking good! I definitely like the all black with green. Nice and simple. Clean.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, congratulations! Would love to hear a video of the sound with those pipes on if you get the chance.

I'll try to do one for you tomorrow morning, it's 10.30pm atm so the neighbour's wouldn't appreciate it 😂. They're really loud, the hour-long ride home left me with that partial hearing loss you get at concerts or nightclubs lol.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, congratulations! Would love to hear a video of the sound with those pipes on if you get the chance.

Saw some people already mentioned it in the comments, but people do actually learn to ride on those here in Europe. With regards to his claims of 'not a beginner bike.' Maybe in the US.

The "not a beginner bike" comment is, I think, strictly only for countries that don't have strict licensing laws. The SV is a perfectly fine first bike in Europe as to ride on you have to train and pass multiple tests on something comparable anyway

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "not a beginner bike" comment is, I think, strictly only for countries that don't have strict licensing laws. The SV is a perfectly fine first bike in Europe as to ride on you have to train and pass multiple tests on something comparable anyway

Yeah, here in Aus to pass my unrestricted license upgrade (to ride anything above 660cc or a certain power/weight ratio) I had to pass the 5 hour upgrade exam on a Kawasaki Z800. An SV650 would be pretty standard for most learner or restricted riders over here during their 2.5ish years on restrictions. Kawasaki even specifically release a LAMS variant of the SV650 over here.

Oct 29, 2017
So just as a conversation starter and with the cold weather coming in....how cold is too cold for you to ride?

In the last year I spent some cash on getting "4 season" riding gear and early this year I went for a ride to the mountains where it actually hit freezing temps. I was actually fairly comfortable with heated grips and some heavy duty gloves but I ended up turning around because it was not that cold the previous days so there was a lot of water on the road from melted snow and I got a bit concerned about hitting black ice.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
If its cold enough for ice... that's generally too cold for me

I'll normally stop riding for fun once it dips below 15C or so though

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
If it's dry as a bone, it doesn't really matter how cold it is. Though it's nearly always accompanied with moisture round these parts. But the salt... that's what really keeps me from riding in winter. I did buy that BMW the winter before last cause I needed a bike that I did not love as much so that I could subject it to salt on a daily commute. Now sold, so I'm back to bikes that I hate doing it too. Luckily I don't have to go out that often. I'll take the Uly if absolutely necessary and hose it down right after.

Oct 29, 2017
If it's dry as a bone, it doesn't really matter how cold it is. Though it's nearly always accompanied with moisture round these parts. But the salt... that's what really keeps me from riding in winter. I did buy that BMW the winter before last cause I needed a bike that I did not love as much so that I could subject it to salt on a daily commute. Now sold, so I'm back to bikes that I hate doing it too. Luckily I don't have to go out that often. I'll take the Uly if absolutely necessary and hose it down right after.

Keeping anything nice in a place that salts the roads seems like a losing battle. I just recently went to upstate NY and there are so many cars that are being eaten alive by rust.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live somewhere where it never snows, but if it's less than 15ish degrees or if my hands go numb from windchill, that's usually a good sign that I shouldn't be riding anymore. Only usually gets that cold at night in winter though.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It was -13c here today. I think I'm done riding for the year, it's been parked for 3 weeks now.

I usually will try and ride until the first major snowfall that justifies salting or gravelling the roads, then I'm done. It's way too much effort and potential damage to the bike to squeeze in a handful of rides.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Keeping anything nice in a place that salts the roads seems like a losing battle. I just recently went to upstate NY and there are so many cars that are being eaten alive by rust.

Yeah it's awful. Always makes me scratch my head to see people riding their 20k+ superbikes or priceless air cooled 911's in winter while my comparatively modest Buells and Boxster on the other hand are spared such horrors. However, most people haven't spent a full winter and hundreds upon hundreds of man hours trying to undo that kind of damage, haha.

Oct 29, 2017
So ever since I sold my Ducati 1098 earlier this year Ive been really wanting to scratch that sport bike itch. My original idea was to sell my 1098 and my Kawasaki Versys 1000 and go in on a Multistrada 1260 and kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, I should have done more research as the seating area is just too small for 2 up comfortable (or bearable) touring.

Now, Im back to looking at a 2nd bike for more *ahem* spirited riding but something more comfortable as Im just about done with the torture rack that is sport bike riding positions. I started looking at the Triumph 765RS, but a few other bike have caught my eye as well; namely the Tuono RR and the MT-10. Both can be had for similar money with a left over 2018 and pack much more poke than the 765 (although that's not necessarily whats going to convince me one way or the other). Looking at them and the reviews, on paper at least, the Tuono seems like the clear winner. Its almost impossible to find someone saying anything negative about this bike, its got that sexy V4, and has a whole host of the electronic IMU whiz bangery that the others are missing. The biggest problem I have is....its so ugly.

3561D613-EBF7-485C-B16D-1A8622272C40.jpg

(There is a black version that looks better but the deals I've found are on this color)

Yes, you could argue that the MT-10 looks worse...but I think its at least a more interesting type of ugly. This bike just looks boring and the graphics are straight up ugly with the big 'A' on the side and the #bearacer crap on the subframe fairing (Aprilia, why!? good lord, why!?). I know the looks shouldnt weigh so heavily but Im having a real hard time here.

Anyone here a Tuono owner? (or own any of the other bikes mentioned) What are your thoughts on it?

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate those graphics too. I was looking at tuono V4s last month but I couldn't get over how tacky they looked.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the Tuono but I wouldn't buy one due to the lack of a real UK dealer network.

Personally I'd go for the MT, but I'm biased. Did you also consider the Superduke GT?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Did you also consider the Superduke GT?

Yeah, this is the one I wanted to suggest. Though I have not ridden any of the modern ultra muscle super nakeds.

I'd say try em and see what is most exhilarating. The Superduke GT, Tuono and MT10 all seem appealing. I do hear the MT gets awful gas mileage. But maybe I'm spoiled with my Buells.

The biggest problem I have is....its so ugly.

Most modern bikes have this problem imho.

Last edited: