• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the ZX-10R, here's two quick pics of it. Got all the original parts with it too including the crashed fairings. Didn't have time to go over the old parts or the bike in more detail but so far everything seems great, very happy with the purchase.

img_20200213_184232xfj51.jpg

img_20200213_195705smj3f.jpg

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
ZX is looking good!

I haven't ridden yet this year. I'm not sure my biking trousers fit at the moment, and I'm playing the "can I lose weight or am I too middle aged" game, heh.

It's almost commutable now for me though, so guess I need to get on a diet or get my wallet out!

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Spring feels so far away :\ Think this period between selling my bike late December and my daily browsing of eBay and the local dealers is the longest i've been without a bike for about 5 or 6 years. Can't wait to get back onto a bike. I've nearly pulled the trigger on a couple of RSV4s that have popped up but I know they'd get hardly any use with the weather being miserable every other day.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Bought the ZX-10R, here's two quick pics of it. Got all the original parts with it too including the crashed fairings. Didn't have time to go over the old parts or the bike in more detail but so far everything seems great, very happy with the purchase.

Congrats, looks very nice! Are the crashed fairings a different color?

Going to be -21C tomorrow night, you bastards.

It is comforting to know there are areas on the planet where it still gets that cold :P

19C on sunday in my area! @Fallout-NL spring is coming to us!

Apocalyptic, but nice. There's a bunch of rain forecast here for Sunday, but spring is definitely in the air here as well. In a way, that pre-spring, but not actually spring is getting to be my favorite 'season.' Probably has something to do with actual spring lasting all of 24 hours these days.

so guess I need to get on a diet or get my wallet out!

Option 1 might be easier on the wallet in more ways than one. Healtier too. Which reminds me I really need to start cutting some garbage out of my diet. I'm not overweight, but all these croissants can't be doing me much good.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like a fun job.

/edit: everything work out Axelotl ?

Also the front tire had 2012 marked on it... surprised that the previous owner didn't drop it, lol. I'm already a little worried about riding on tires older than 3 years but 7 or more is crazy town.

There is a disturbing lack of awareness on just how much a difference tires will make on a motorcycle. That blue, like new, Buell I bought a few years ago still had the original factory tires on it (almost ten years old at that point). Borderline unrideable.

I feel like you can stretch it for few years if the tire is used regularly and hasn't been sitting for too long, but man... a tire that's been on there for a decade and still has all of its thread? No wonder such a bike never gets used. At best, it'll feel like the wheels are wrapped in wood.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Bit off topic, but it was good to take this one out for a short hop on the weekend.

boxster26tkbw.jpg

boxsterxiju4.jpg

Spend a fair bit of time on Youtube looking at all sorts of car/bike shows and the Boxster comes up pretty often as a 'yeah, it's fun, but with only 250hp - not that quick' kind-of-car, but each time I get in it and stand on the gas for a bit I'm thinking 'nah this thing is still pretty quick.'

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Old Ulysses battery. I think this still is the original battery from '05 when this bike was made. Epic run.
20200219_173410q8kyh.jpg

New Shido li-ion battery.
20200219_173420uijb2.jpg

Properly spaced with some hardwood and two coasters :P.
20200219_173431u3koe.jpg

And I even had this little standoff/bushing lying around to bridge the gap to the positive battery terminal (not included with the battery for some reason). Yay.
20200219_18553788jrn.jpg

All about the weight ratio. My WRX only had 265hp but it got off the line a lot faster than my 310hp IS350F.

I suppose 4WD doesn't hurt either in that regard :).

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really wished this forums handled images better. Trying to catch up only to be scrolled to some random point when images load. All bikes looking good!

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
3bdf495a-28e9-4e2b-bvtjlm.jpeg

Bar ends and a Rizoma fender eliminator.

Next steps are installing the new front indicators from Rizoma and the new Akrapovic. Aaaaand I should clean the bike.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
haha, yes, I changed mine last year and paid around 60€ for one (a basic one without any features like pinlock etc)

Wanted to install my new indicators only to see that I need some adapters when I don't want to deatroy the oem connectors. But they should be here tomorrow. And I still need to find some time and tools to change the exhaust without a garage and with this weather right know I only have 30 -60 min windows without rain -.-

Last edited:

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Been away for a while, very disappointed in myself on these warm days that I never finished the ZRX back in the summer when I had consistent days I could have worked on it. Good news is we got our offer accepted on a house that has a 2 bay garage building, which will heavily motivate me to finish getting the bike together if everything goes well with the sale. I'll be super excited to get back on 2 wheels. It's been too long!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got a question for all you motorcyclists:

Do any of you ride with GoPros or other cameras, and does anyone here upload riding vids to Youtube?

A lot of my friends have been hounding me for over a year now to buy a GoPro and film rides I go on so they all can watch them. Today one of my coworkers tried to convince me I could make some money doing this too. He has a sister who has a small sewing Youtube channel and she makes a few thousand dollars a year from it. That's not something anyone could make a living from but extra income never hurt either!

I know there are Youtube biking channels like 44Teeth and FortNine and such, and I have zero disullions that I could post content to get any substantial viewer base or such, but can even small Youtube channels with paltry subs and such still make a little bit of extra cash?

If it could pay for gas and the GoPro itself then frack why not give it a shot, LOL!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Is this a good deal?

www.kijiji.ca

Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds

Visit Kijiji Classifieds to buy, sell, or trade almost anything! New and used items, cars, real estate, jobs, services, vacation rentals and more virtually anywhere.

I don't know what other Speed Triple's go for in your area, but that seems alright. One thing to keep in mind is that it's probably possible to find a similarly priced example with less miles on the clock. However, high miles aint necessarily a bad thing if the maintenance has been done, but with that kind of mileage I'd want to see some receipts. And if the answer is "I did it myself" that's fine, but that doesn't mean there's no receipts; you still need to buy oil, oil filters, fluid to refresh what's in the forks, brake pads, spark plugs, etc etc.

So I've got a question for all you motorcyclists:

Do any of you ride with GoPros or other cameras, and does anyone here upload riding vids to Youtube?

A lot of my friends have been hounding me for over a year now to buy a GoPro and film rides I go on so they all can watch them. Today one of my coworkers tried to convince me I could make some money doing this too. He has a sister who has a small sewing Youtube channel and she makes a few thousand dollars a year from it. That's not something anyone could make a living from but extra income never hurt either!

I know there are Youtube biking channels like 44Teeth and FortNine and such, and I have zero disullions that I could post content to get any substantial viewer base or such, but can even small Youtube channels with paltry subs and such still make a little bit of extra cash?

If it could pay for gas and the GoPro itself then frack why not give it a shot, LOL!

I've been toying with the idea to start doing that for a while now, but I kinda want something that gets good/clean footage as well as sound without the need for extra mics and syncing video to sound after the fact.

As for money, I think that ship has sailed - though I've obviously never tried it / looked too deep into it, so who knows. Still, I think in this case fun should be the primary motivator. It's - a lot - of work to shoot great footage and then edit it into something that measures up to all the other great content that's out there - and I hear even those guys are struggling making a buck off it. I think most of people's income now primarily comes from sellings stickers and Patreon subs and things like that.

Been away for a while, very disappointed in myself on these warm days that I never finished the ZRX back in the summer when I had consistent days I could have worked on it. Good news is we got our offer accepted on a house that has a 2 bay garage building, which will heavily motivate me to finish getting the bike together if everything goes well with the sale. I'll be super excited to get back on 2 wheels. It's been too long!

It would be good to see the ZRX again, for sure. The garage thing sounds good. I'm spoiled with mine, but 2 bay sounds even more awesome.

Last edited:

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, maybe motorcycle touring videos just aren't popular enough to garner a lot of clicks to make any money from it, lol.

Still, it might be fun to give it a shot. And like I said, as long as I make back the price of the GoPro itself then it would at least be a very low investment earning opportunity. Failure wouldn't cost anything but time in that case.

It's an interesting thought exercise. I need to meditate on this a bit more....

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Finally had a chance to ride yesterday. Fired right up after being parked for months. Went out for a few hours ride. After a nice wash and wax from the pressure washer.
img_20200224_143851082zkpc.jpg

Check out the paint. So beautiful.
img_20200224_142109863ekia.jpg

One hundred miles shy of 3,000. At 4k, I'm going to do the first service as per the service manual.

Yeah, maybe motorcycle touring videos just aren't popular enough to garner a lot of clicks to make any money from it, lol.

Still, it might be fun to give it a shot. And like I said, as long as I make back the price of the GoPro itself then it would at least be a very low investment earning opportunity. Failure wouldn't cost anything but time in that case.

It's an interesting thought exercise. I need to meditate on this a bit more....
I used a GoPro for personal use. Just to go back and watch my videos and share with friends. I found it to be too much hassle, having to make sure you have enough SD cards and batteries and switch between as needed. Then coming home and watching your footage to edit/pick out moments, etc. If you're going to be doing it as a monetary YouTube thing, it may be very time consuming.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Putting some new tyres on, getting a set of Michelin Commander 2's.

The old tyres had these weird cracks on the edges that were slippery, tyre shop said it was from basically soaking the tyres in tyre shine 🤦🏻‍♂️ Guess the previous owner was trying to crash it or some shit. Old tyres also had a jaggy tread in the middle that I think has been contributing to a cascading wobble sensation when I let go of the bars above 70km/h.

Just waiting in the shop now while they replace them 😪

A02-F5-FDE-EC01-47-A3-879-D-0-D5-BB0-B7788-E.jpg

Edit: the wobble is gone! Bike was slippery for the first 20km cause of the protective wax residue, but the 50km after that felt so damn good. Like a whole new bike 😍

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ride with a Contour Roam 2 for post-crash forensics, no interest in uploading, doubtful much money to be made in such things.

I have a Roam 3 iirc. Haven't used it in a while cause I'm a lazy shit, will have to charge it and clear it when I get home.

Low-light isn't amazing but otherwise it's a pretty great camera that doesn't take up too much space and the high resolution mode is really solid.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Still an awesome bike Microsoft. Always reminded of Kaneda's bike when I see it.

Edit: the wobble is gone! Bike was slippery for the first 20km cause of the protective wax residue, but the 50km after that felt so damn good. Like a whole new bike 😍

The importance of great tires everyone.

After my little accident fall 2018, my trust to my S21 was gone.

Interesting. I can't imagine the S21 ever doing me wrong. There was nothing else at fault there? I don't recall exactly what happened.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I had the pirelli diablo Rosso 3 before and they were so much better.

I lost traction in a normal roundabout. I know that the tire wasn't the main culprit (soapy street after a rain) but I had some weird slippery moments after that.
but...I will change my tires before my scottland tour this Summer.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really gel all that well with Pirelli's (they're on the 1125r now because there was already a new rear Pirelli tire on there, but it's not blowing me away), but I can recommend Michelin Pilot Road tires if you're looking for something else.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Option 1 might be easier on the wallet in more ways than one. Healtier too. Which reminds me I really need to start cutting some garbage out of my diet. I'm not overweight, but all these croissants can't be doing me much good.

That's what I decided on, hopefully works out

Not having to spend £800 on new leathers is a good motivation! Looks like we're in for a lot of cold weather in Britain so I have time.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Had a nasty surprise with the zx10r when taking the front end off to service it:

forkwhjwm.jpg

fork2neklp.jpg

Looks like the clip-on dug in pretty bad when the bike was dropped. Seems to work fine, but I'm not taking any chances with that. Luckily found a used left fork in good condition for only 100usd on ebay (postage was almost as much). OEM upper fork tube on its own is 400eur :|

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn dude, that must've been quite a spill. Headstock and frame alright though?

Very sexy!
Won't know for sure until I get to ride it myself, but the previous owner was oblivious to that (if he wasn't lying) and rode it fine like that for 2-3 thousand km's. I'll definitely take some measurements and make sure everything is as it should be when I put it back together. I didn't notice anything else wrong or broken after finding that and inspecting everything else around it. Looks like the left clip-on took most of the damage or something. I have all the original broken fairings and the damage didn't seem bad enough to cause something like that.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Had a nasty surprise with the zx10r when taking the front end off to service it:

forkwhjwm.jpg

fork2neklp.jpg

Looks like the clip-on dug in pretty bad when the bike was dropped. Seems to work fine, but I'm not taking any chances with that. Luckily found a used left fork in good condition for only 100usd on ebay (postage was almost as much). OEM upper fork tube on its own is 400eur :|
That's quite scary. Good thing you found it! You think it would've held much longer like that?

Fallout-NL, who is Kaneda?

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
I got a little paranoid after you asked about the frame and headstock so I went and disassembled more of the bike to see if there's any hidden marks or damage.

Didn't find anything to be worried about, it's bizarre how the clip-on and upper fork tube took that much damage because the front and side fairings are all in one piece, just a few cracks and scratches. No looseness in the steering either. Hopefully I'll have it all back in one piece in a couple of weeks.