• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocho

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I rode around Big Bend National Park in Texas. Pictures can't do it justice.

30f724fa-bf7a-4f64-90d7-c482e9ab6268-jpeg.255494

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I rode around Big Bend National Park in Texas. Pictures can't do it justice.

30f724fa-bf7a-4f64-90d7-c482e9ab6268-jpeg.255494

that looks gorgeous man

My girlfriend has expressed interest in being a pillion rider for months, so the next sunny day it's gonna happen. She also wants to get a bike but I told her to go do pre-learner lessons first.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Here's to many more decades.

Yes! For sure.

It's not the same to me :-( But maybe I just have rose-tinted glasses for the 00's...

Well, I got a warning yesterday for using the term 'full' eh 'r-word.' Funny thing is that I kinda knew I would get it, but still I figured it'd be okay given its Tropical Thunder origins. But I suppose it's true that film's got some issues. Anyway, long story short, probably wouldn't have happened on gaf. Certainly not now :P.

At least we'll always have the bike thread!

That'd be nice.

I'm £290 lighter and the RS is ready to be my commuter once more.

How many miles are on the RS by now? You didn't ride that much last season, right?

Btw, Ocho that looks awesome. I'm jealous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any advice here on how to fortify a crank case on a cheap Chinese scooter? The damn spring/gear basically pops out if I hit any kind of bump and then I have to rebuild the crank case.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I ordered myself a GoPro Hero 8. Looking forward to experimenting around with it on the Goldwing.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
So, I was able to check the error code with my ODB2 Adapter. It was related to the fuse battery thingy.

Man this tool is awesome. Can't wait to use it on my car.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Got my RSV4 delivered yesterday finally! Bike arrived quite late in the day(think it was a 6hr drive for the dealership in their van) so I didn't get a chance to have a go.

Popped out on a beer run earlier just to get used to the clutch and throttle. It's hella loud and gets plenty of looks. Think I barely took it past 5k but it felt quite intimidating! The quickshifter and the auto-blipper is silky smooth. I've got Friday off work so I'm hoping to go out for a decent ride and get used to the switchgear and figure out how to get the traction control on(didn't realise until I got back earlier that it was switched off).

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
It was a beautiful blue skied 67° here yesterday and its going to be similar but slightly cooler all weekend. Going to definitely put some miles on the Wing.

I've been playing with my GoPro Hero 8 on the bike a bit too, finally rigged up a mounting solution that I'm happy with and honestly I like filming on the bike more than I thought I would! Wind noise is not as bad as I expected but I am going to try a few homemade "deadcat" solutions to improve it. I'm also finding it fun to go through the footage and spend time editing it down to something watchable, though its all been very experimental so far. I think a Youtube motovlog channel could be a fun hobby, and if I'm having fun doing it then who cares if it makes money or not, LOL.

Now I just need to come up with a name, create a new email address, a logo, and youtube channel and then I'll start uploading vids from time to time. At the very least it will be a fun science experiment involving motorcycle riding I'd be doing anyway.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I am a simple man, I see Dainese, I compliment

I'll always be a sucker for the brand, their stuff is great.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Hope everyone's doing alright in these trying times. I'm kinda alright myself. Do spend a lot of time torn between being scared of getting seriously ill or becoming financially ruined. However, this might also be the time for opportunities. Trying to remain in the right headspace to explore them.

------

Very nice, Stevey those pauldrons look awesome.

I've been playing with my GoPro Hero 8 on the bike a bit too, finally rigged up a mounting solution that I'm happy with and honestly I like filming on the bike more than I thought I would! Wind noise is not as bad as I expected but I am going to try a few homemade "deadcat" solutions to improve it. I'm also finding it fun to go through the footage and spend time editing it down to something watchable, though its all been very experimental so far. I think a Youtube motovlog channel could be a fun hobby, and if I'm having fun doing it then who cares if it makes money or not, LOL.

Now I just need to come up with a name, create a new email address, a logo, and youtube channel and then I'll start uploading vids from time to time. At the very least it will be a fun science experiment involving motorcycle riding I'd be doing anyway.

I look forward to seeing some of the first videos. Interestingly enough, I've also started experimenting with making videos. Made a channel even. I don't yet have gear to record rides, but I want to incorporate that at some point.

Anyway, here's the first one.

Last edited:

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to seeing some of the first videos. Interestingly enough, I've also started experimenting with making videos. Made a channel even. I don't yet have gear to record rides, but I want to incorporate that at some point.

Nice vid, you really tore that bike apart! I love the heated grips on my Wing, they help so much in colder weather.

I'm going to work on putting my first vid together tonight, just need to spend some time in Shotcut finishing it up. Hope to have it uploaded in a day or two.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Motorcycles keep you within social isolation distance of everyone! The perfect hobby for COVID-19

I've been banned from my office for the foreseeable future so no bike commuting for me, though

Moogrose

Oct 27, 2017

That's a great in depth video for folks looking to do the same. I'm gonna install the Oxford grips on my Strom this year, this years winter riding made me want nothing more.

I'm going to work on putting my first vid together tonight, just need to spend some time in Shotcut finishing it up. Hope to have it uploaded in a day or two.

Looking forward to it!

Motorcycles keep you within social isolation distance of everyone! The perfect hobby for COVID-19

I've been banned from my office for the foreseeable future so no bike commuting for me, though

I've been preaching this to everyone that will listen to me.

I'm also working from home but between managing 2 kids and their school work and my team now working remotely. I think I'll need to take some rides to relax.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
I put those Oxford grips on my speed triple last spring and I was super happy with them, installing them was a little easier than that Buell ;) . 75% was so hot that I never even tried them at 100% .

Took my forks to get serviced, should have them back today or early next week and then the zx10r is ready for my first ride, weather for next week is looking good too so I'm pretty excited. Need to ride the bike before I decide on whether it needs heated grips.

EDIT: Oh boy, the shop fucked up the maintenance. I arranged to service the shocks over email with labor only (I had my own 5W oil, dust seals and fork seals). They forgot all about it, charged me for parts and labor, put in 10W oil and used the old dust seals that have tiny cracks in them already (didn't notice the dust seals until I was back in the garage putting it back together).

I got refunded for the parts and after I put the front end back together and started dialing in the settings I noticed the left side fork only has four clicks of rebound dampening instead of the 13 it should have. They changed the fork cap on the left fork and I know exactly what they did wrong (the rebound adjuster and fork cap don't have the correct 13mm distance adjustment between them), but I don't have the tools to fix it myself. Not the best first impression of that shop, despite a bunch of people reccommending it online. Hopefully I'll get it sorted next week.

Last edited:

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, well I tried to upload my first motovlog to my new channel last night, but my internet is so incredibly crappy that even after 8 hours it was only 36% uploaded!!!! That's what a 0.5Mbps upload speed will get you I suppose.

Going to try my brother's internet today to see if I can upload from there.

Elon Musk's Starlink can't come soon enough for me. :(

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Probably gonna skip season opening this year. These sunny weekends in April where everyone and their mother get on their bike for the first time in the year always end up putting tons of people in the hospital and this is just a bad idea right now.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Probably gonna skip season opening this year. These sunny weekends in April where everyone and their mother get on their bike for the first time in the year always end up putting tons of people in the hospital and this is just a bad idea right now.

Was thinking that as well when I was listening to the bikes going past today. Especially the very first nice day, like today, is generally better to just stay home.

I did wash the Ulysses, so there was some bike related activity.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Was thinking that as well when I was listening to the bikes going past today. Especially the very first nice day, like today, is generally better to just stay home.

I did wash the Ulysses, so there was some bike related activity.
That's what I did the last days too. At the end of the lockdown the bike will shine like it never did. And the garden will be perfect:D

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Well my brothers Internet is crazy fast, lol. I hit a new road block though: my video is just shy of 16 minutes and apparently a new channel can't upload anything over 15 minutes!

Time to trim some fat....

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I am happy with how well the bike stood up to being used all winter. Didn't suffer too badly I think. Though I did faithfully hose it down every time I took it out.

20200321_164827nykph.jpg

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also avoiding riding. I know the chance is low, but things are really ramping up in Britain and the NHS is about to be overwhelmed. They don't need someone who fancied taking his bike out for the first time in six months and broke his leg or worse taking up space and resources

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
All comments and criticisms welcome! The good, the bad, and even the ugly, lol!!!
I grew up in SE Lehigh Valley driving back roads to get up to Emmaus on the west and then over to Bethlehem/Hellertown on the east. This was like watching someone cruise around my old haunts. I kept saying to myself... "isn't that the old farm on Lanark Rd? Is he over by Vera Cruz?!" until you mentioned you were in Berks. Good times.

Also a Road Glide *starts* at $41k? Ah hahaha.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
until you mentioned you were in Berks.

Yeah I was gonna say, that looks Maryland-ish. Recognised it because I've been there once a long, long time ago visiting the in laws belonging to an ex girlfriend also from a long, long time ago.

All comments and criticisms welcome! The good, the bad, and even the ugly, lol!!!

Loved it! What's your setup like in terms of capturing voice? Sounds excellent, very crisp, engine note is clearly discernible too. Do you have to sync it after?

Also, lol, the torque on that thing.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it! What's your setup like in terms of capturing voice? Sounds excellent, very crisp, engine note is clearly discernible too. Do you have to sync it after?

My setup is surprisingly simple. Just an upside down Hero 8 (so the bottom mic is right by my mouth), a homemade foam deadcat, and a few mounting parts from the $20 kit I bought off Amazon, no external mic at all. No syncing in the edit at all, what you hear is straight footage from the Hero 8.

I already had someone request a video showing my setup with the Hero 8, and I do have a bunch of test footage and such so I think I'll make such a vid.

Here is how it looks:

PLUUrKZ.jpg

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Wow yeah, that does work surprisingly well. And the piece of foam just goes over the mic on the Hero8?

EDIT: Oh boy, the shop fucked up the maintenance. I arranged to service the shocks over email with labor only (I had my own 5W oil, dust seals and fork seals). They forgot all about it, charged me for parts and labor, put in 10W oil and used the old dust seals that have tiny cracks in them already (didn't notice the dust seals until I was back in the garage putting it back together).

I got refunded for the parts and after I put the front end back together and started dialing in the settings I noticed the left side fork only has four clicks of rebound dampening instead of the 13 it should have. They changed the fork cap on the left fork and I know exactly what they did wrong (the rebound adjuster and fork cap don't have the correct 13mm distance adjustment between them), but I don't have the tools to fix it myself. Not the best first impression of that shop, despite a bunch of people reccommending it online. Hopefully I'll get it sorted next week.

This is outrageous by the way. Did you manage to get it sorted?

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I confess, I did go for a ride yesterday.... maybe two. The mind is willing, but the flesh... Took it ever so easy though. Mostly to get some heat in the X1 after hibernation and to see if the S1's suspension is sorted. Gave it minus two clicks in the compression department (both front and rear). Seems a bit more pliable now.

Hmmm.

20200323_154403baj3y.jpg

20200323_1551326ij6n.jpg
20200323_162752e3jhj.jpg

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
This is outrageous by the way. Did you manage to get it sorted?
Not yet, took it back to the shop today to get it looked at. I'm 90% sure they fucked it up because I checked the rebound and compression settings when I took the fork tubes off just to see if it had factory settings or not and it had 6 clicks on both (not the factory settings). The fact that they didn't even check whether the adjustments work before and after the oil and seal change tells me to take my business elsewhere in the future.

Also, the next time I need to change fork oil and/or seals I'm getting the tools and doing it myself, lol.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Allright, my first ever motovlog is finally online:

I had lost my phone for four days and this is what I come back to! As soon as I have time I am watching this!!

I'm also avoiding riding. I know the chance is low, but things are really ramping up in Britain and the NHS is about to be overwhelmed. They don't need someone who fancied taking his bike out for the first time in six months and broke his leg or worse taking up space and resources
What do you mean by this? I'm not following.

I confess, I did go for a ride yesterday.... maybe two. The mind is willing, but the flesh... Took it ever so easy though. Mostly to get some heat in the X1 after hibernation and to see if the S1's suspension is sorted. Gave it minus two clicks in the compression department (both front and rear). Seems a bit more pliable now.

Hmmm.

20200323_154403baj3y.jpg

20200323_1551326ij6n.jpg
20200323_162752e3jhj.jpg
Beautiful pics and bikes as always! I do miss that translucent blue though.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean by this? I'm not following.

It's never a good time to get into an accident, but now especially when hospitals are already at the risk of becoming overwhelmed, you don't want to put additional strain on the system because of recreational hazards.

Beautiful pics and bikes as always! I do miss that translucent blue though.

I know, it just wasn't a good bike sadly. Ride wasn't right and neither was the motor.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
It's never a good time to get into an accident, but now especially when hospitals are already at the risk of becoming overwhelmed, you don't want to put additional strain on the system because of recreational hazards.

I went for a ride a few days ago while filming and I talked about this very subject. Putting the clips together into a video now actually, will probably upload it in a day or so.

It's kind of amazing how much about the pandemic has changed since then, it's progressing so fast.

As for riding during this social distancing, I might go for some very careful short local rides around my home but I'm certainly not going for any long trips right now. I will say one thing, traffic has been so incredibly light that it honestly feels like some of the safest riding I've had in over a decade in PA.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
A co-worker of mine sold his VFR 800 and bought a Hayabusa. Last weekend on his first ride on the busa he hit a deer, the bike is a totaled but at least he made it out in one piece, had a massive bruise on his left arm and very sore ribs but he came to work on his own feet on Monday to get some sick leave.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly this. I'm actually still being forced to attend the office despite the just-announced UK lockdown (don't get me started there), so usually empty roads and sunshine would be a godsend, but it's not worth the risk

Plus BMW has now closed due to coronavirus so I'm stuffed if it breaks down...

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I've just seen the new US growing rates in infections. To my transatlantic Two wheeler's: please stay safe and healthy. The USA are on a dangerous path right now. You are doubling right now ever day.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its bad here. My gf and I are working from home full time now, hopefully that helps to safeguard us.

Sadly I know a lot of people who just aren't taking this seriously enough, they aren't sanitizing their hands when out getting groceries or gas or such, they are still going to gatherings and house parties and stuff. It just seems like a lot of Americans aren't willing to follow the guidance at all.

On a positive note, I've been going out for afternoon rides when the weather permits now that I'm working from home. Just local scoots but it's been fun. I have many hours of video I'm now going to cobble into a few vids for my youtube channel, lol.