• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
More to come...

If you have a series you want to write a little spiel about, PM me. Looking for NASCAR, Motorcycle road racing especially etc...

Oldest established world motorsports championship starting a year earlier than F1. Currently Consists of three classes, MotoGP with a 1000cc 4-stroke engine, Moto2 with 600cc 4-strokes and Moto3 with 250cc 4-strokes. All 3 classes have separate races at each race weekend though previous races at Laguna Seca were MotoGP only. Probably provides some of the greatest racing in the world!

wecuduor.jpg

The Worldwide Endurance Championship (WEC) is a championship created around the mythical Le Mans 24hr race. A combination of Prototype and GT (Grand Touring) classes, the series has 4 different classes all running together at the same time resulting in lapping madness. The direction of the championship is a little up in the air at the moment as the top class, the LMP1 Hybrids have become so expensive very few manufacturers are able to compete with the likelihood of only Toyota in 2018.

wrcywu3o.jpg

The World Rally Championship, drivers against the clock on dirt, gravel tarmac and snow. A series that has gone through many revisions over the years. From the completely mental Group B machines of the 1980s to more anaemic almost drive off the lot. The current cars are faster than they've been in a long time and the range of manufacturers is on the up. Again multiple classes, same weekend.

Q&A

Q. What's on?
A. Reddit has a fantastic calender, there's always something on.

Q. My favourite series isn't mentioned?
A. PM to add, if it has an engine and you can race it, it's motorsport!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry Toyota. I have a good feeling about next year.
Porsche claims world championship titles after hard fight in Shanghai

Stuttgart. Finishing second an third at the penultimate round at the FIA World Endurance Championship allowed Porsche to successfully defend the driver's world championship title as well as the one for the manufacturers. The Porsche LMP Team will return home to Stuttgart with the manufacturer's trophy for the third consecutive time.
https://presse.porsche.de/prod/pres...nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=797656

OP
OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Motogp final starting in about 90mins!

Dovi is still in it, just, he has to win and Marquez has to finish 13th or lower. Any other result other than a Dovi win and it's all over for him.

Damn, I need to get my shit together with the rest of the OP, this week I promise!

caramac

Oct 27, 2017

Dovi is still in it, just, he has to win and Marquez has to finish 13th or lower. Any other result other than a Dovi win and it's all over for him.

Damn, I need to get my shit together with the rest of the OP, this week I promise!

I'd love to see Dovi win the championship but it looks a big ask. He's back on the third row l believe so he really needs a good start to give himself at least a chance.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017

I can't see Dovi pulling it off even if Marc crashs out.

If Dovi can't win I'm pulling for Zarco to get his first victory.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear. Lorenzo is going to (quite rightfully) get a ton of shit for his conduct today.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
MotoGP thread on Reddit is having a meltdown over Lorenzo and a Spanish conspiracy to assist Marquez. Tossers.

Congrats to Marc; 6 times a WC at 24 years old.
DOd8D6eWsAE3EPw.jpg

Last edited:

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
MotoGP thread on Reddit is having a meltdown over Lorenzo and a Spanish conspiracy to assist Marquez. Tossers.

Congrats to Marc; 6 times a WC at 24 years old.
Doesn't help matters that Jlo isn't the most likable fellow at the best of times.

Rather academic in the end; Even if Marc hadn't managed to save it when he dropped it, the Ducattis didn't have the pace of Dani and Zarco for the win.

Overall well deserved championship by Marc and bravo Dovi for the spirited challenge.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't help matters that Jlo isn't the most likable fellow at the best of times..
I'm actually glad Jorge didn't yield as Dovi was doing the exact same laptimes as everyone else and giving way would have done SFA except close the points gap to MM very marginally.

And it was all for naught as both Ducati riders failed to finish the race.

Let's hope Ducati remain on the same trajectory for 2018, Yamaha fix their bike and Suzuki, KTM and Aprilia all get stronger. No need to worry about HRC as they have Marc to ride around most issues.

Last edited:

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Let's hope Ducati remain on the same trajectory foer 2018, Yamaha fix their bike and Suzuki, KTM and Aprilia all get stronger. No need to worry about HRC as they have Marc to ride around thr issues.
Aye, the more competition the better.

Tech3 has got to hope Yamaha decides to chuck this year's bike in the skip instead of getting lumped with that dog for next year.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Tech3 has got to hope Yamaha decides to chuck this year's bike in the skip instead of getting lumped with that dog for next year.
Herv of Tech 3 confirmed Rossi and Vinales both used the 2016 chassis with the 2017 engine at the final race and still did SFA. I'd stick with the 2016 bike unless some leaps are made for the 2018 bike.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
So, WTCC and TCR merging regulations is good news, right?

Last edited:

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to get back into watching MotoGP, yes I know the season has just ended heh. I gave up watching when it went to pay tv in the UK, does channel 5 have the highlights package?

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible news. Macau, much like the Manx TT, is as unforgiving as they come. RIP

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Jeez guys have seen those pictures of suicidal idiots taking pictures of rally cars while lying in ditches.

Talk about idiotic.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017

No signs of any other manufacturers coming in? LMP1 seems to be dead, at least in it's current guise. Private teams have no chance to compete with Toyota, unless Toyota suffer from mechanical problems.

It's understood the team is unlikely to again field three cars in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Was wondering if they would run a 3rd car for Alonso but I guess not.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Alonso tested the car at Bahrain, so even with 2 he may well have a seat for Le Mans if he wants it.

wrt LMP1, yes, in its present form it is dead. They're going to make some cost cutting moves that will theoretically give privateers a chance to compete with Toyota for the 1.5 year superseason, but we've seen that song and dance years ago with Audi... Toyota will likely be seconds faster even after all attempts to slow them down.

I think the ACO+FIA probably need some time to figure out what LMP1 even looks like in, say, 2020, given the industry's almost myopic focus on electric cars (basically a non-starter for endurance racing given current tech). There are some options, but they probably revolve around courting a few like-minded manufacturers that want to proving ground a new tech at Le Mans. For example: high performance CVTs

The other possibility is that there just isn't manufacturer interest -- that if electrics are the future, and electrics can't endurance race, then in some sense the R&D proving ground aspect of endurance racing is not just dead for now, but dead for good. Not just LMP1 now, but LMP1 for a long, long time.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
The return of GTP / GT1?
ACO sporting director Vincent Beaumesnil confirmed that rules to create something akin to the GTP prototypes of the late 1990s and early 2000s was "one of the options".
"At the moment an LMP1 is a kind of generic prototype and you have to paint it to put your mark on it," he said.

"The idea could be to go towards bodywork that is clearly closer to real cars — it could interest manufacturers who at the moment who are not interested in a generic LMP."
https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/factory-lmp1-breed-high-performance-cars-978750/

Mclaren show interest.
McLaren has a "strong interest" in potential new World Endurance Championship rules that would allow it to style a future LMP1 contender after its high-performance road cars.

Mclaren boss Zak Brown took part in the second roundtable meeting of potential manufacturers working on the new set of P1 rules that are due to come into force for the 2020/21 WEC season - and said he liked the ideas discussed.

"We like lots of what they are saying: with the budgets and the level of technology they are talking, it's heading in a direction that means there is a strong interest on our part,"
https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/mclaren-strong-interest-wec-lmp1-road-cars-978991/?s=1

OP
OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I really wish GTE and GT3 would just get together.

Final of the v8 Supercars this weekend. Whincup leads by 30 points with 300 up for grabs. Penske/Johnson after dominating look like they might snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
They confirmed Alex Lynn (ex Williams test driver and GP2 race winner - and a lad a few miles up the road from me) as a driver.

Oct 27, 2017
Rumor has it that Rebellion may return to LMP1 with a two-car effort for the 2018-19 season. If true, that makes what was already shaping up to be a pretty healthy class of privateers going up against Toyota even better. That, coupled with the possibility of GT1/GTP looks making a comeback in 2020, and I have to say that the future of top-shelf prototype racing has the potential to be something special; all that remains to be seen is if the ACO can stick the landing. Fingers crossed!

Stunning. Between this and the M8, the GTE Pro field is certainly going to be very easy on the eyes next year.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread bobnowhere. It's great to see so many of the Motorsports community from the other forum posting here.

The official poster for the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2018 has been released:

poster2018_by_edmonddantes9285-dbuj9ng.jpg

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
That 919 tribute. Goosebumps.

Pretty hard not to support Rebellion next year.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Rebellion confirms LMP1 return in 2018/2019 with two car effort

Neel Jani: "I am looking forward to coming back where my endurance career started 9 years ago. REBELLION Racing played a huge role in my career and also helped me become a factory driver for Porsche. When Porsche stopped in LMP1, it was clear for me that I wanted to race again for REBELLION. With the new regulations, I hope we can reach the overall podium at Le Mans and with a bit of luck, maybe we can even grab some wins during the super season of WEC."

André Lotterer: "I am very happy to join the champion REBELLION team! The LMP1 project is very exciting and to be able to go on with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the FIA WEC challenge is something I did not want to miss. I am motivated and looking forward to have a great time with great people there!"

The potential LMP1 entry list now:
  • Toyota with two entries
  • SMP with two entries
  • Rebellion with entries
  • Ginetta potentially with two customer teams
  • Manor with a single entry or maybe two
  • DragonSpeed with a single entry
  • ByKolles with their usual entry

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Toyota Gazoo Racing to exhibit GR Super Sport Concept at Tokyo Salon 2018

001_by_edmonddantes9285-dbwt5mi.jpg

Which coincides with earlier remarks:

"Clearly the direction [of the rules] is towards GT-looking cars, something we feel is positive and it's giving momentum to the category," said Vasselon.

"It's true that with standard LMP1 cars, not visually identifiable, there were not many manufacturers interested.

"When you start talking about sportscar-looking prototypes, then it seems there is a lot of interest. There is a positive momentum at the moment."

Road Car styling for future LMP1 cars