• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which drinks do you reach for?

• Diet

Votes: 39 11.6%
  • Zero Sugar

Votes: 233 69.3%
  • Calories are my friends

Votes: 64 19.0%

• Total voters

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This is very interesting to me because of all the diet sodas, diet Mountain Dew was perhaps the one that tasted the most like the regular.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Coke Zero (Sugar) is the only "diet" soda I can handle.

It barely passes, but it's not off-putting enough taste wise that I can't drink it.

I don't drink any form of soda 6 days a week. I may drink Sprite on Saturdays (my "cheat" day).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

I know the answer is "marketing" but I find it really weird these companies are making second drink lines alongside long successful Diet lines. Coke Zero seems like the culprit here. It became a billion dollar brand by fulfilling the same calorie-free needs of customers (especially men), without the stigmas of Diet Coke. Then in the last couple years, both Pepsi and Coke decided to shift drinks to "Zero Sugar" and "Zero" branding more widely. Sprite and Fanta are often found with Zero now and their Diet brand versions have mostly been replaced. But that's not the rule.

So now we have Pepsi Zero Sugar (originally Pepsi Max) and Diet Pepsi, and then Mountain Dew Zero Sugar and Diet Mountain Dew.

Some people think there's major differences in ingredients, but there's typically almost no differences there. Flavor does differ a bit, with many saying drinks like Coke Zero Sugar have a stronger and "less diet" taste than the legacy Diet brands.

I get why Coke Zero (cause Diet Coke is nasty... and btw, is not formulated to taste like classic coke but like the new coke people hated... But it was made when New Coke was out and diet fans got used to it so they couldn't/didn't chage it back). But Diet Mtn. Dew is pretty good as diet drinks go so there's no reason to try to make a different one that tastes more like Mtn. Dew. Be even more redundant if they did Dr. Pepper Zero (diet dr. pepper is the drink that tasted close enough to the real thing to get me over the nutrasweet aftertaste).

Oh, and btw, as some one who converted to diet drinks for years, it's a myth that you get used to it and start preferring diet drinks (Everyone kept telling me that's what happens).... sugar drinks still taste better. Coke still being the biggest difference, coke zero or not.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
While I like Diet Dew already, I'm interested to see if the "Zero Sugar" version has a flavor difference that makes it preferable. I'll drink anything Diet but the formula for Coke Zero definitely tastes better to me than Diet Coke.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Pepsi and Coke are probably different enough for some people to notice, but I am not buying that you people would be able to tell whether it is Diet or Zero from the sip.

Anyone aware of blind-tests to study whether people can recognize the Diet/Zero products without the labels?
Lmao what?

They are completely different. Diet taste like sweet garbage.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
I recently stopped drinking Coke Zero because it apparently was spiking my blood sugar to dangerously high levels, so now Im back to drinking regular Coke. So weird how the body reacts to certain foods and drinks.

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
I've already had a couple bottles of this. Its way too sweet imo. I prefer Diet Mtn Dew.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the carbonation doesn't fizzle out as fast as other zero drinks sometimes do. I love coke zero but I feel like i need to drink those cans way too fast

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Pepsi and Coke are probably different enough for some people to notice, but I am not buying that you people would be able to tell whether it is Diet or Zero from the sip.

Anyone aware of blind-tests to study whether people can recognize the Diet/Zero products without the labels?

Uh, they easily can. Diet Coke was not formulated to taste like Classic Coke... that's why it has one of the worst reputations for not tasting like the original drink, it was never designed to do so. It was made when New Coke came out (you know, the formula people hated so much that Coke had to go back to Classic Coke). And apparently they already got a market for it when they went back to classic so they never bothered changing it. Zero is formulated to taste like Classic Coke. That's why you have a lot of people who dislike Diet Coke who are more tolerant to Coke Zero (me included).

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
While I like Diet Dew already, I'm interested to see if the "Zero Sugar" version has a flavor difference that makes it preferable. I'll drink anything Diet but the formula for Coke Zero definitely tastes better to me than Diet Coke.

I drink a ridiculous amount of Diet Dew, and I picked up a bottle of Zero Sugar this past Monday. I would drink it in a pinch, but in my opinion Zero Sugar has a tiny bit of bitterness that I didn't like. So, I won't be switching.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The U.S. You have to buy coke from Mexico to get it with real sugar.
Sort of... in Mexico many bottlers are using HFCS these days. It's a weird thing where the USA fell in love with the idea of importing what they deem "superior tasting" Coke when the country of origin doesn't stick to it. Some tests claim the formulas are chemically similar, and as far as taste, double blind tests have shown people either prefer American Coke or can't tell a difference so the alleged taste difference is a bit of marketing myth. Of course, in tests where people know what they're drinking, they automatically claim Mexican Coke tastes more complex and like a more classic soda.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking for this, can't find it yet. Pepsi zero sugar is just Pepsi max right? Same taste?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'll do it because Taco Bell has Baja Blast Zero Sugar and it tastes fine, better if only because it's not syrupy like normal Mtn Dew is.

If they made a Pitch Black Zero Sugar my fridge would be stocked in hours.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regular Mountain Dew (or Throwback) is my addiction, whereas you couldn't pay me to drink vile Diet Dew. I was all ready to hit up the supermarket for Zero Sugar, but unfortunately the store locator shows no availability nearby. Where can you get this stuff? Do I just have to order online?

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
Regular Mountain Dew (or Throwback) is my addiction, whereas you couldn't pay me to drink vile Diet Dew. I was all ready to hit up the supermarket for Zero Sugar, but unfortunately the store locator shows no availability nearby. Where can you get this stuff? Do I just have to order online?
I've been able to find it just around gas stations/convenience stores in my area.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I definitely want to try this. I've been drinking Coke Zero more--mostly because we have it in the vending machines at work--and I love regular Mountain Dew.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I've basically switched any of my soda drinking to zero calorie or diet except for Mountain Dew, I just do not like the taste of the diet version at all, hopefully this is better.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Coke Zero is essentially an approximation of the flavor of regular Coke without sugar/calories.

Diet Coke is it's own beast altogether.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's already two different kinds of DIET DEW tho. some has zero calories and some has like ten calories.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright gang I just bought one let's see what this puppy tastes like.
Edit: it's fine, it tastes similar to diet but with a bit more of a diminished strength in flavor?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
well, my taco bell has been serving Mt Dew Baja blast zero sugar from their fountains for awhile and that's been a game changer, so I welcome this.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
The Zero and Max versions tastes too strong for me, I want a more watered down taste the old versions have.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I wonder if this will ever see the light of day in Canada? Mountain Dew isn't allowed to have caffeine up here without the "energy drink" label.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Lol no shit. But i was wondering if y'all knew the source of the difference in taste.

Looks like Zero has sodium citrate instead of citric acid.

I'll tell you the difference. In diet coke, the main ingredient of the sweetener is Aspartame.
In Coke Zero, it is a mix of aspartame, sodium-ciklamate and acesulfame-K.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All I know is that zero branded drinks always taste better than their diet branded counterpart.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the Zero Sugar does taste better and makes me feel a bit more full than the regular diet version. So props, Pepsi.

Side note, I legit wish that Sucralose Pepsi products were still a thing. Liked it way more than aspartame.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know diet and zero sugar sodas are awful for you, but is one less awful? I generally prefer Diet Coke but I can switch back to Coke Zero if it's slightly less damaging.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Spain the only Dew we have is Zero Sugar, when it first came out it was with sugar and there was a lot of backlash so they released it without sugar, and I can't taste the difference tbh

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I know diet and zero sugar sodas are awful for you, but is one less awful? I generally prefer Diet Coke but I can switch back to Coke Zero if it's slightly less damaging.

None of them are "awful" to you. Drink plenty of water alongside them, do not brush your teeth for 40-mins after you drink carbonated drinks, and you are good.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between them?

I always thought that Zero was if they had invented Diet Coke in the 2000's... like our ability to simulate sweet without sugar has gotten better. However they can not in any way remove Diet Coke because that would 100% start a movement.

So pretty much its Diet soda done with more knowledge and ability.. PLUS its never been good to put the word Diet on any soda.