• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which drinks do you reach for?

• Diet

Votes: 39 11.6%
  • Zero Sugar

Votes: 233 69.3%
  • Calories are my friends

Votes: 64 19.0%

• Total voters

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I drink diet coke at work because coke zero is too sweet to drink in large quantities.

I drink coke zero at home because I'm mixing it with bourbon and diet coke is a terrible mixer and diabetes won't let me drink regular coke anymore :(

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I know the answer is "marketing" but I find it really weird these companies are making second drink lines alongside long successful Diet lines. Coke Zero seems like the culprit here. It became a billion dollar brand by fulfilling the same calorie-free needs of customers (especially men), without the stigmas of Diet Coke. Then in the last couple years, both Pepsi and Coke decided to shift drinks to "Zero Sugar" and "Zero" branding more widely. Sprite and Fanta are often found with Zero now and their Diet brand versions have mostly been replaced. But that's not the rule.

So now we have Pepsi Zero Sugar (originally Pepsi Max) and Diet Pepsi, and then Mountain Dew Zero Sugar and Diet Mountain Dew.

Some people think there's major differences in ingredients, but there's typically almost no differences there. Flavor does differ a bit, with many saying drinks like Coke Zero Sugar have a stronger and "less diet" taste than the legacy Diet brands.
I saw 12 packs of this last week at Target and bought two cases. I'm not looking for a difference in ingredients, there is much more than a slight difference in flavor, they taste completely different. Yet there are people who actually prefer the flavor of the "diet" variants vs the "zero sugar" ones. This is extremely close to the real thing, enough to get my fix without missing the real stuff. I love it and hope to see zero sugar versions of the other flavors too.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Wait, is this a recent thing or has it always been there? I tried checking around a few months ago, so it could have changed. I'll have to look!

Diet code red used to be easier to find but they've reduced it a lot to what areas get it. Used to be I could find it in Atlanta and take some with me. And Wisconsin too. Those are the last places I found it.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Now please release diet Baja Blast in bottles so I don't need to go to Taco Bell just for that.

I find the "Zero" drinks to be more flavorful. Where diet drinks taste more watered down.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know that one chemical is the only difference, but it has a huge impact on flavour. I could drink Coke Zero all day, but would actively refuse a diet coke if I was offered one. I know people who are the opposite, and will drink Diet Coke purely because they enjoy the taste of it more.
This 100%.
I usually have a Coke Zero at work every day. We had a BBQ at work last year with coolers filled with coke and Diet Coke. I wanted a soda but I ended up just choosing water lol, because I really don't like the taste of Diet Coke.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I saw this at the checkout when getting groceries and decided to give it a try.

It's pretty good. Tastes like an off-brand Mountain Dew.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Pepsi and Coke are probably different enough for some people to notice, but I am not buying that you people would be able to tell whether it is Diet or Zero from the sip.

Anyone aware of blind-tests to study whether people can recognize the Diet/Zero products without the labels?

Lol... they taste absolutely nothing alike. Your taste buds are broken.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
Found a bottle. Oddly, it's less...intense? Like an earlier post said, almost no aftertaste. But I don't find as big of a difference as say Diet Coke/Coke Zero or Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Zero.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll try it but I acquired the Diet Mt Dew taste a long time ago and hated regular Dew after. I'm not really looking for "Tastes like Regular Mt Dew!" in a drink.

This please. I've heard it actually exists in the US, but very select places.
It exists here in SC. I've posted pics of cans in my kitchen before when people were in disbelief that it exists at all. The thing is though, I only see it at the grocery stores around here like once every four months or so. It's not plentiful, that's for sure.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I guess I'll try it but I acquired the Diet Mt Dew taste a long time ago and hated regular Dew after. I'm not really looking for "Tastes like Regular Mt Dew!" in a drink.

It exists here in SC. I've posted pics of cans in my kitchen before when people were in disbelief that it exists at all. The thing is though, I only see it at the grocery stores around here like once every four months or so. It's not plentiful, that's for sure.

Is it good? I find Cherry Diet Pepsi is even better than regular Diet.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can't tell the difference between Coke Zero Sugar and Diet Coke then your sense of taste is gone.

I was basically evangelizing for Zero when the formula changed. I gave samples to at least 50 people.
Anecdotal, but every single man said something like "Sweet Jesus, it's almost like a real Coke." and every woman said something like "Gross. Diet Coke is better.".
At least they could all tell the difference, though.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
The way I see it, it's all bad for me anyways so if I'm going to have a soda I may as well just go with the better tasting version. Bring on the corn syrup!

Oct 29, 2017
Picked up a couple 12-packs at Walmart today. It's really good. The cans are cool, they have like a matte-finish on them, not shiny like a normal pop can.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna need a source on this one

It's true - when Coca Cola acquired Tab, they remarketed Tab as a diet drink. But Diet Coke had an entirely different taste than regular Coke, and they found that a lot of people really liked the taste. Sales of regular Coke were falling hard, while Pepsi was winning, so the company decided to make New Coke based on the taste of Diet Coke, since people really liked the stuff. Of course, we all know how that ended up.

Coke Zero is an attempt to make a diet drink that actually tastes like Coca Cola rather than Diet Coke.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I guess I'll have to try Mt Dew Zero and see if it tastes better than it's diet counterpart. As of now, I still put Orange Vanilla Coke Zero Sugar above all diet sodas, followed closely by Diet Barq's and Diet Squirt. I probably drink far too much diet soda, but it helps with the sweet tooth with me consuming mountains of sugar.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really drink pop much anymore but Coke Zero definitely tastes different than Diet Coke. Diet Coke tastes sort of metallic to me while Coke Zero tastes closer to regular Coke.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I like how Coke Zero variants are the new original versions now.
We had a cinnamon coke variant for christmas and they only came as Zero. Same for cherry and vanilla nowadays. Normal Coke is the only non-zero version still available.

Coke Zero for life. Saves my thirst from dying a mundane watery death.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Also, the difference between Coke Zero and Diet coke is just that the latter uses citric acid, which makes it taste like a hint of lemon. That's also why it commonly is served with a slice of one.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lol no shit. But i was wondering if y'all knew the source of the difference in taste.

Looks like Zero has sodium citrate instead of citric acid.
Zero is meant to taste very close to Classic Coke without the sugar and calories where as Diet Coke is more of it's own thing. It's not meant to taste like regular coke but coke zero is.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

It's true - when Coca Cola acquired Tab, they remarketed Tab as a diet drink. But Diet Coke had an entirely different taste than regular Coke, and they found that a lot of people really liked the taste. Sales of regular Coke were falling hard, while Pepsi was winning, so the company decided to make New Coke based on the taste of Diet Coke, since people really liked the stuff. Of course, we all know how that ended up.

Coke Zero is an attempt to make a diet drink that actually tastes like Coca Cola rather than Diet Coke.

Fascinating. Thank you for the video.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, Diet Mountain Dew already tastes almost the same as regular when cold, so I don't really know what the point is.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Diet Dew is probably the best diet soda out there in terms of proximity to the original. What's the point of this?

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I drink a ridiculous amount of Diet Dew, and I picked up a bottle of Zero Sugar this past Monday. I would drink it in a pinch, but in my opinion Zero Sugar has a tiny bit of bitterness that I didn't like. So, I won't be switching.
Just tried Dew Zero Sugar last night. First time I ever bought a 12-pack at full price since the store didn't have bottles.

First impressions are positive! The difference is slight but it's there. I think maybe there's some kind of lime/citrus essence coming through, which may add that "bitterness" you're talking about. I actually want to say it adds a bit of balance to the overall flavor.

Happy with it for now.

Also, I prefer the can design. Black>Silver, just like with all the Zero drinks that have a regular diet variety.

Dew Zero legit tastes good. Hardly any aftertaste.
Yeah. I'm reminded of Fanta Zero, which I enjoy more than Diet Sunkist or Crush because it doesn't kill me with the aftertaste.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Also, the difference between Coke Zero and Diet coke is just that the latter uses citric acid, which makes it taste like a hint of lemon. That's also why it commonly is served with a slice of one.
There's a couple differences pointed out, including the "flavoring" mix and there's a blend of two sweeteners instead of the one by itself in Diet Coke.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
There's a couple differences pointed out, including the "flavoring" mix and there's a blend of two sweeteners instead of the one by itself in Diet Coke.
Yeah, the flavoring mix HAS to be the culprit, on top of the sweeteners. In a blind taste test I could easily pick out the Zero Sugar varieties of Coke and Pepsi over the Diet ones. As much as I like Diet drinks in general, Diet Coke and Pepsi still taste like they did back when I drank sugared soda and couldn't stand sweeteners.

It's no small thing. The formula is different, period.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Diet Dew is probably the best diet soda out there in terms of proximity to the original. What's the point of this?

The most faithful diet is Dr. Pepper, but I agree. I'm not sure Dew Zero is different enough from Diet Dew to justify its existence. Reeks of more man-focused marketing.

And Diet Code Red has been around for almost as long as Code Red, its just rare.