• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which drinks do you reach for?

• Diet

Votes: 39 11.6%
  • Zero Sugar

Votes: 233 69.3%
  • Calories are my friends

Votes: 64 19.0%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I know the answer is "marketing" but I find it really weird these companies are making second drink lines alongside long successful Diet lines. Coke Zero seems like the culprit here. It became a billion dollar brand by fulfilling the same calorie-free needs of customers (especially men), without the stigmas of Diet Coke. Then in the last couple years, both Pepsi and Coke decided to shift drinks to "Zero Sugar" and "Zero" branding more widely. Sprite and Fanta are often found with Zero now and their Diet brand versions have mostly been replaced. But that's not the rule.

So now we have Pepsi Zero Sugar (originally Pepsi Max) and Diet Pepsi, and then Mountain Dew Zero Sugar and Diet Mountain Dew.

Some people think there's major differences in ingredients, but there's typically almost no differences there. Flavor does differ a bit, with many saying drinks like Coke Zero Sugar have a stronger and "less diet" taste than the legacy Diet brands.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coke Zero seems like the culprit here. It became a billion dollar brand by fulfilling the same calorie-free needs of customers (especially men), without the stigmas of Diet Coke.

Coke Zero and Diet Coke also taste completely different. There's plenty of room for both to exist.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I'll give it a go if it helps the sugar intake.

Though I'm sure that anything outside the soda category should be my choice instead. I have a problem :(

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Diet Coke tastes better than Coke Zero, so... There's your answer. If Diet Coke went away, I'd just stop drinking Coke altogether.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Some people think there's major differences in ingredients, but there's typically almost no differences there
The blend of sweeteners differs. For instance diet coke uses only Aspartame, coke zero uses a blend of Aspartame and Acesulfame potassium. Hence the flavor difference.

Some people prefer Aspartame, some people prefer the blend. This is why both exist.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Diet Coke is reformulated Tab. New Coke was actually Diet Coke with sugar added back in.

Coke Zero is Coke Classic with no sugar.
They are totally different formulas.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol no shit. But i was wondering if y'all knew the source of the difference in taste.

Looks like Zero has sodium citrate instead of citric acid.

As far as I know that one chemical is the only difference, but it has a huge impact on flavour. I could drink Coke Zero all day, but would actively refuse a diet coke if I was offered one. I know people who are the opposite, and will drink Diet Coke purely because they enjoy the taste of it more.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know that one chemical is the only difference, but it has a huge impact on flavour. I could drink Coke Zero all day, but would actively refuse a diet coke if I was offered one. I know people who are the opposite, and will drink Diet Coke purely because they enjoy the taste of it more.
Agree. I want no calorie soda. Diet Coke tastes awful. Zero completely different.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The blend of sweeteners differs. For instance diet coke uses only Aspartame, coke zero uses a blend of Aspartame and Acesulfame potassium. Hence the flavor difference.

Some people prefer Aspartame, some people prefer the blend. This is why both exist.
Yes, but what I'm getting at (and maybe should clarify) is that some people mistakingly spread the idea that these were part of aspartame-free reformulations, when they almost all still use aspartame. Diet Pepsi was selling a newly branded Aspartame-Free Diet Pepsi alongside original Diet Pepsi, so it's not that it isn't possible, but it's not the basis for these other brands.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Diet Coke is reformulated Tab. New Coke was actually Diet Coke with sugar added back in.

Coke Zero is Coke Classic with no sugar.
They are totally different formulas.
Basically this.
Diet Coke = "New Coke" with no sugar, sweetened with aspertame, has 1 calorie per 100ml
Coke Zero = Coca Cola with no sugar, sweetened with aspertame and acesulfame potassium, has 0.5 calorie per 100ml

I'll give this a try. I can't stand Diet Mtn Dew but I like regular Dew.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Pepsi Max is a GOAT soft drink. As for Mountain Dew Zero Sugar, we had it in Poland some time ago, but I couldn't find it anywhere recently. Guess it didn't sell.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget, they killed Coke Zero for Coke Zero Sugar a year or so ago- Coke Zero was my favorite soda, as it had a somewhat bitter taste, and Coke Zero Sugar tastes nothing like it, and I hate it.

Diet Mountan Dew always tasted like watered down shit, so i'm curious to try this- it can't be worse!

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol no shit. But i was wondering if y'all knew the source of the difference in taste.

totally different recipes. Diet coke should just have been sold as its own thing but it never would have gotten as big as it did.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Coke zero was invented to market diet drinks to men.

Diet coke had built their whole brand on reaching women (diet coke break ads featuring hunky guys etc) and men (stupid men) wouldnt buy it because they didnt want to appear feminine.

So they invented coke zero and advertised it with, if memory served, James Bond. This is how basic marketing is :)

So Zero drinks were invented, and I guess now are a thing other brands think they need.

Oct 27, 2017
Pepsi and Coke are probably different enough for some people to notice, but I am not buying that you people would be able to tell whether it is Diet or Zero from the sip.

Anyone aware of blind-tests to study whether people can recognize the Diet/Zero products without the labels?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pepsi and Coke are probably different enough for some people to notice, but I am not buying that you people would be able to tell whether it is Diet or Zero from the sip.

Anyone aware of blind-tests to study whether people can recognize the Diet/Zero products without the labels?
This has been done. In 2012, it was about 50/50 on whether anyone could accurately pin if they sipped Diet or Zero. Personally, I do think they taste quite different and Coke themselves are adamant that Zero is based on Coke while diet is just a "lighter cola taste."

Oct 27, 2017
This has been done. In 2012, it was about 50/50 on whether anyone could accurately pin if they sipped Diet or Zero. Personally, I do think they taste quite different and Coke themselves are adamant that Zero is based on Coke while diet is just a "lighter cola taste."

Link it. I am interested.

For me, the only sewage in the bottle worth drinking is Dr. Pepper.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Diet coke tastes like water and coke zero tastes strong so it's a pretty obvious difference.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Yes, but what I'm getting at (and maybe should clarify) is that some people mistakingly spread the idea that these were part of aspartame-free reformulations, when they almost all still use aspartame. Diet Pepsi was selling a newly branded Aspartame-Free Diet Pepsi alongside original Diet Pepsi, so it's not that it isn't possible, but it's not the basis for these other brands.
And don't forget Diet Coke with Splenda. They stopped making that, though, I think.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
My problem with the diet coke thing is that all restaurants and bars still carry diet coke and do not carry Coke Zero.

Oct 27, 2017

24 people study, better than nothing I guess. I bet fuckers at CocaCola have a much more elaborate studies with hundreds or thousands of participants, divided into multiple categories like how often they drink it or age. People who never or rarely drink Coke are indifferent to Diet/Zero, where people drinking this shit everyday can sense the differences.

All I know, and should remember everytime I am at the supermarket, is that the moment of satisfaction is not worth short and long term effects.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Diet MTN Dew actually isn't zero calories, so this is the one instance the zero brand is appropriate.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The way I've always understood it is (my dad worked at Coke for 40 years):

- Prior to 1982 Coke was Coke, there was no Diet Coke yet. There was Diet Pepsi and Diet Rite (made by RC) but the only diet soda from Coke was Tab, which was(/is) a diet cola but tastes a little different than Coke even beyond the fact that it's diet

-In 1982, they came out with Diet Coke. The idea is that it would taste like Coke but diet like Tab. The thing is, the base recipe turned out to be different than either one, and it wound up being a THIRD taste.

-However, it was a huge smash hit, so big that in 1985 they decided to see what the base Diet Coke recipe would taste like with sugar (well, HFCS) instead of Diet Coke's saccharine. Internally, they decided it was amazing and the taste tests backed it up. So amazing that they famously decided to replace the main Coke with this wondrous new concoction made of the Diet Coke base recipe/not diet and call it "New Coke" or "Coke II".

-As everyone knows, that decision was a disaster and they switched back within a year, making their stock go up more than ever. So actually not a disaster at all. But they left Diet Coke alone, and it still to this day uses the "New Coke" base recipe.

-20 years later in 2005, they decided to try the opposite of what happened in 1985 (and really another stab at what they tried in 1982 that resulted in the happy accident of Diet Coke): Just put diet stuff instead of sugar in the original Coke recipe. Also, they marketed it toward men.

So, TLDR: Diet Coke is the diet version of the infamous 1985 "new coke" (although new coke was based on Diet Coke); Coke Zero is the diet version of classic Coke.

As far as describing how the tastes differ, 🤷‍♂️. They're a little different, both kinda gross... Diet Coke always tastes a little more like Pepsi to me.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
diet mountain dew taste awful.......same as diet coke

Coke Zero is the GOAT coke, so i am definitely willing to give mountain dew zero sugar a go!

Nov 30, 2017

I don't know I can't stand the taste of Zero but can drink diet all day. So to me they taste vastly different

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't drink soda in general, and I'll drink Coke Zero if soda is the only option, but I've never really liked even regular Mountain Dew.