• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeriousCow

Aug 29, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Nothing to add just wanted to say I thought the Mist ending was awesome and apparently Stephen King himself gives it two thumbs up.
It's a great ending, the only thing that puts me off is Thomas Jane's intermittent screaming. It's almost as if he'd occasionally stop and open his eyes to see if the shot was still being filmed, and then he'd resume screaming.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Kurosawa's The Bad Sleep Well pissed me off, because the movie builds this elaborate revenge plot that the main character works to execute, and then shits on it because Kurosawa presumably wanted to show that rich and powerful people can get away with anything. Hence the title. I just thought "wow, thanks for wasting my time with that profound message."

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A Chinese film called "The Silent War", starring Tony Leung (The Mandarin in the upcoming Marvel's Shang Chi).

It started off as a unique thriller, about a blind piano tuner who gets recruited as a spy, but ended up being a communist nationalistic mouthpiece. Never had an opinion of a movie do a complete 180* within seconds.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Only one - Inferno. The book has a brilliant ending and even though I was 90% sure they'd fuck it up in the film, I still watched it anyway and yep, totally opposite to the book, ruining the entire point of the story! Whyyyyy.
The 2010~ish movie with Tom Hanks or the Argento movie? What are the differences?

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I honestly look at Leo and Scorcesse in a negative light after this film...they decided to spend their time, money, and effort into telling the story of a scam artist/loser...giving him money for the rights to his book, giving him a cameo in the movie...i dunno, it still bothers me.

The film literally portrays him as a scumbag from start to finish, a man with no redeeming features whatsoever who loses everything and everyone he ever cared about. And his success is having to teach people who don't understand what he's saying how to make money.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are other movies that have really poor credits music as well but I can't think of any at the top of my head.
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 had its entire soundtrack changed to metal and it jacks up the tone of the film

He went solo, he quit the force.
ahahahahahaha

Funny Games - I can't see movies like that. I always think about "what if it was me ?"
Bad guys wining isn't the problem, it was just evil.
Good movie by the way.
It's been a while since I've seen this but I think that was the idea; that all of this was happening because it's what the audience wants to see, with no actual rhyme or reason as far as the characters are concerned. They exist as villains because the movie needs villains.

Last edited:

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
A Chinese film called "The Silent War", starring Tony Leung (The Mandarin in the upcoming Marvel's Shang Chi).

It started off as a unique thriller, about a blind piano tuner who gets recruited as a spy, but ended up being a communist nationalistic mouthpiece. Never had an opinion of a movie do a complete 180* within seconds.
I mean, that's every mainland china movie. Even Hero, while being a gorgeous film and amazing piece of work, is just propaganda.

The exception, of course, is anything by Jia Zhangke but he also usually can't release his films in China since they're all so critical of the Chinese government.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great ending, the only thing that puts me off is Thomas Jane's intermittent screaming. It's almost as if he'd occasionally stop and open his eyes to see if the shot was still being filmed, and then he'd resume screaming.
It always felt like the mental breakdown of a normal man to me, trying to retain his composure while simultaneously not being able to.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars 3.

I think because it transformed the legacy of OT Vader into that of a whiny bitch who killed a bunch of children along the way.
Vader was always whiny. I absolutely believe the PT's Anakin. Only someone as immature as PT Anakin could turn into Vader.
It didn't even make sense. The only reason Anakin joined the emperor was Padme. When he was turned into Vader the only logical act would have been to kill the emperor right on the spot the moment he learned of her death, not joining him to become a space nazi.
Not sure when he has the first vision exactly but he has two vision (canon) one he isn't strong enough to kill the emperor and loses. The second one he has after he finds out about Luke and he successfully turns Luke to the darkside but with their combined powers they still lose

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The Korean thriller The Chaser had an extremely cynical ending that made me furious, but in a good and intended way.

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing.

Somewhat visceral disaster movie that somehow manages to degrade further into untenable stupidity. The angels--.... aliens--....

... The angel-aliens have apparently mastered space travel but are dumb enough to think that two kids and two rabbits are gonna be enough to restart humanity and rabbitdom. Even assuming the Space Eden has some kind of weird, Annihilation effect or some shit that allows this to be possible, why those two kids in particular? Why did you need an apocalyptic scavenger hunt to choose who to take, especially when it wasn't a reflection of the kids' abilities or worthiness? They didn't figure out a damn thing; they just lucked into being related to Nicholas Cage, and frankly that's some privileged bullshit. Give some other kids with less fortune a chance to restart humanity.

Frankly I checked out at angel-aliens at the theater but now that I'm reiterating my thoughts I'm only more annoyed.
It wasn't just two kids though. There were multiple ships with humans on them.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
The ending of Eden Lake is the first thing that comes to mind. It's absolutely infuriating but also a pitch perfect way to end the film.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
d2U8uyp.jpg

Movie had other issues, but "jerk hero who has been rejected by the girl for the entire movie can fuck her at the end as a reward" legit pissed me off. Even more shit because Laureline was the only good character in the movie until she gave up to his advances.

Yep, sounds like Luc Besson.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Grave of the fireflies.

A lot of people online said this was one of the saddest movies they've ever seen and how it tears you apart and makes you never want to watch it again but Jesus christ, that brother pissed me off with his actions.

The whole course of the movie and ending could have been avoided if he just swallowed his pride and took better care of his sister.

You'd probably be more angry if they added more stuff from the book.

Like all the incestual stuff

But yeah, I really, really dislike the movie, it's not a tearjerker, Seta is just a complete idiot.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure when he has the first vision exactly but he has two vision (canon) one he isn't strong enough to kill the emperor and loses. The second one he has after he finds out about Luke and he successfully turns Luke to the darkside but with their combined powers they still lose

Where is that mentioned? It sure as hell wasn't mentioned in the actual movie. Also he could have at every time just walk up to the emperor and surprise attack him, just like he did in RotJ. It's just contrived storytelling to somehow get to the status quo in ANH.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Signs.

God bisected your wife so she could die horribly right after cryptically telling you to tell your brother to hit a naked monster with a baseball bat.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Where is that mentioned? It sure as hell wasn't mentioned in the actual movie. Also he could have at every time just walk up to the emperor and surprise attack him, just like he did in RotJ. It's just contrived storytelling to somehow get to the status quo in ANH.
One of the Vader comics done under Disney. Forget which but it's been brought up before on ERA.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Also repo men...
he's in a coma half way through the film so the second half never happens. Evil corporation wins.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Not the ending exactly, but The Homesman at some point, went in a direction that really didn't like.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
d2U8uyp.jpg

Movie had other issues, but "jerk hero who has been rejected by the girl for the entire movie can fuck her at the end as a reward" legit pissed me off. Even more shit because Laureline was the only good character in the movie until she gave up to his advances.
This is a great pick.

I like the movie, more or less, and I was even on board with the dynamic between Valerian and Laureline initially but, boy oh boy, does the direction their relationship goes really sours things.

Valerian as a boorish cad who is constantly chasing the coolest girl in the universe who knows better than to give him the time of day, it isn't the greatest dynamic in the world but it'll do...and then you start to realize that this is supposed to be an actual romance and it ends trying to make you accept that that is what the film was. It is crazy.

Freezeezy

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
The ending to Lord of the Rings.

After all this time Frodo gets possessed by the ring anyway.

Garbage.

He has been staring and using the ring since movie 1!!!!!!!!!!!!! A gallion hours of having that thing and nothing happens.
Not because it makes sense or that he's special. It's because the plot doesn't need him to get possessed the entire trilogy, just at the very end as some trash plot twist.

Then Smeagol accidentaly saves the world. SMEAGOL. The worst thing to happen to cinema since Jar-Jar Binks.

Burn the books.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It Follows got really fucking stupid at the end.
I was always more annoyed that no one ever bothered to flour bomb or throw paint on the invisible monster to prove to people that the invisible monster exists. They did however escalate immediately to
Toaster in pool.

Maybe you wouldn't have shot your friend in the leg while trying to shoot an invisible monster if you'd brought something that makes the invisible monster visible.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I was always more annoyed that no one ever bothered to flour bomb or throw paint on the invisible monster to prove to people that the invisible monster exists. They did however escalate immediately to
Toaster in pool.

Maybe you wouldn't have shot your friend in the leg while trying to shoot an invisible monster if you'd brought something that makes the invisible monster visible.

If you're going to throw flour at a ghost, you should at least follow up by throwing eggs at it, then panko breadcrumbs, and then frying until golden brown.