• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I don't get this one? Unless you're talking about the AvP movies, in which case I kind of forgot they existed too. But Predator 2 doesn't contradict anything in the first film, and Predators wouldn't be any different with or without it.
there's zero references to it in Predators. that makes it look like they retconned it out of canon because the events from that movie should have been referenced in some way since there were many people who knew what happened with the Predators by the end of Predator 2 and there was even an organization that knew about them during it and they survived by the end.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
there's zero references to it in Predators. that makes it look like they retconned it out of canon because the events from that movie should have been referenced in some way since there were many people who knew what happened with the Predators by the end of Predator 2 and there was even an organization that knew about them during it and they survived by the end.
Well, in my defense, I thought Predators kind of sucked, too, so... It remains to be seen what the next one will be like.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't this happen with the Child's Play series currently?

the 2 most recent movies seem to have disregarded Bride and Seed of Chucky and seem to only consider the first 3 canon. they even brought back some old characters from there but they completely ditch anything that happened in the 2 movies after the trilogy.

Tiffany is in both Curse & Cult. It downplays Bride & Seed, sure. But you can't really have Tiffany, in Jennifer Tilly's body, without recognizing Bride & Seed as canon.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I initially thought the DIsney Star Wars sequels were doing a "soft" version of this by essentially ignoring the prequels and dancing around them, but TLJ directly references them with the history of the Jedi Order and a mention of Sidious. They're still generally avoiding them, but not writing them off.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I initially thought the DIsney Star Wars sequels were doing a "soft" version of this by essentially ignoring the prequels and dancing around them, but TLJ directly references them with the history of the Jedi Order and a mention of Sidious. They're still generally avoiding them, but not writing them off.

Rogue One uses actors from the prequels. So they seem to reference them when it's necessary. I think they were just mostly ignored in TFA because it's just so damn long after they took place. Haha

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

There were a lot of prequel haters who insisted that that's what they were doing with TFA (or who also say that they're "changing the rules" about who can be force sensitive after The Last Jedi, which, they aren't). Folks are still just mad that those movies exist.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

It's only really goverment spooks that know about them and not much. End of Predator its kinda the same deal a couple of people in the know did you think the canon after Predator 2 is world knoweldge of the Predators?

I have seen articles with Robert Rodriguez saying he was looking at the original when making Predators. Wish he looked at it a little closer in some regards and less in others.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Hellraiser did this with Hellseeker. And probably most of the other sequels too. There's barely continuity between them

I think continuity ended with Hellraiser after Bloodlines. There was that one sequel that had an ending which brought back Kirsty for a cameo, but that was the last of the continuation.

It would be great if we could get a Transformers film that ignored all of the sequels, and got Michael Bay (and his style) the hell out. In fact, I'm shocked they haven't tried to make a live-action version of Transformers The Movie by now.

Also, The Howling. It's in dire need of a reboot that ignores every shit sequel with a competent director and a decent budget.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would love a Hellraiser sequel that ignored all the sequels. The first one was good, a real classic. The rest weren't. The second one was okay, but it went into the fantasy weeds and I wouldn't mind seeing it ignored.

Edit: oh we're already talking about that huh

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean, TFA and TLJ take place more than 50 years after RotS ended. They're not avoiding the Prequels, there's just not much to reference to begin with given how far they're removed. Even then, TFA references clone armies and had some podracer flags as a small Easter egg, and TLJ mentions Sidious in a key moment, as you said. Further, Rogue One is littered with connections (Bail Organa, the casting for Mon Mothma, super tanks from RotS on the prison planet, Vader living on Mustafar, probably more I'm forgetting). Rebels references the Prequels heavily as well, meaning all three movies and the TV show from the Disney era have all had their connections. Lucasfilm isn't avoiding the them in any way, and Solo will almost certainly continue the trend given its timeline placement.

Last edited:

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
The Godfather part 3 needs to not exist, or at least forget that final scene and give it more respectful closure.

Blues Brothers 2000 needs to not exist somehow as well. Maybe Elwood wakes up from a dream "Dallas" style.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I mean, TFA and TLJ take place more than 50 years after RotS ended. They're not avoiding the Prequels, there's just not much to reference to begin with given how far they're removed. Even then, TFA references clone armies and had some podracer flags as a small Easter egg, and TLJ mentions Sidious in a key moment, as you said. Further, Rogue One is littered with connections (Bail Organa, the casting for Mon Mothma, super tanks from RotS on the prison planet, Vader living on Mustafar, probably more I'm forgetting). Rebels references the Prequels heavily as well, meaning all three movies and the TV show from the Disney era have all had their connections. Lucasfilm isn't avoiding the them in any way, and Solo will almost certainly continue the trend given its timeline placement.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious now, but a lot of people were saying otherwise (and I can see why) when it was pretty much just TFA we had to go off of. Maybe that was deliberate on Disney's part - a safe return before explicitly showing/referencing prequel stuff.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I generally dislike these types of moves for franchises. New entries need to accept the past, good and bad, and move forward. Otherwise, reboot.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Texas Chainsaw 3D was just like Halloween: H20 in this regard. It erases the sequels and instead claims to be the true sequel to the original film. But unlike H20, everyone agrees it was complete shit.

LOL, that movie got completely fucked over by meddling execs wanting it set in 2012 instead of 1992. Alexandra Daddario's supposed to be close to 40 in it.

b1a57174c40aa4b27f4f6ffc59985e02.jpg
The timeline ended up making absolutely no sense because of it.

"Our draft took place in the early 1990s, but the finished film took place now, which makes no sense," Marcus admitted. "The original film was in the 1970s, and the main character is in her 20s, which is why the script took place in the '90s. It didn't make any logical sense, and it's frustrating."

http://comicbook.com/horror/2018/01/25/texas-chainsaw-massacre-3d-movie-timeline-problem-explained/

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Tiffany is in both Curse & Cult. It downplays Bride & Seed, sure. But you can't really have Tiffany, in Jennifer Tilly's body, without recognizing Bride & Seed as canon.

the thing that threw me off mostly was the complete abscence of their kids from Seed. like, what happened to them? no mention at all past Seed. i suppose there's still a chance they could bring back the kids given how they're bringing back other characters now.
i guess i gotta rewatch the whole thing one of these days since it's been years since i saw the rest of them.

It's only really goverment spooks that know about them and not much. End of Predator its kinda the same deal a couple of people in the know did you think the canon after Predator 2 is world knoweldge of the Predators?

I have seen articles with Robert Rodriguez saying he was looking at the original when making Predators. Wish he looked at it a little closer in some regards and less in others.

given how little was known about the Predator after part 1, it seemd like the part 2 stuff would be enough to at least be referenced in Predators in the same way since, even if only very few people know, it'd be odd to completely disregard one of the encounters.

i wonder what direction the new one will take. will it be a sequel to the original only or will it acknowledge the others in some way?