• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The movie theater near me no longer has e-ticketing. I'm out.

You can only cancel through the app? I cancelled the service but my next billing date is set to "unknown", and the app shows no actual record of me cancelling. This freaking service...

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Part of the problem right now is they are in the process of voting on another reverse split of their stock- which means they can't issue new stock as a source of revenue until the vote takes place. So now we have schedules like the one for this week with basically no wide releases and movie times still getting pulled early afternoon anyway. Hopefully they loosen the noose a bit next week after the vote.

Oct 28, 2017
My theater list is empty so that's cool.

Finally showed up. Nothing at the only theater I like. Should have knocked on wood.

Might have to switch to Sinemia then.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The theater I've been going to lately dropped e-ticketing and now has no MoviePass screenings at all.
The nearest theater is down to one movie choice a day.
I'm out.
Thankfully I just got new debit and credit cards so they don't know how to charge me again.
Good night, sweet prince.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've got this paid up until the end of November. I'm just going to keep checking into whatever film I want given the paucity of their typical daily selections.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
For all those who are gonna cancel, keep in mind a few things

1. moviepass likes to fuck around with dates. If your sub period says it'll renew Nov 11th, it'll probably actually happen Nov 10th.
2. They are notorious for saying you cancelled, but continuing to bill you.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend using something like privacy.com or a visa gift card with $1 on it and change to that card BEFORE you cancel so that way you can suspend the card and then cancel and not give any fucks if MoviePass "accidently" keeps billing you.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
For all those who are gonna cancel, keep in mind a few things

1. moviepass likes to fuck around with dates. If your sub period says it'll renew Nov 11th, it'll probably actually happen Nov 10th.
2. They are notorious for saying you cancelled, but continuing to bill you.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend using something like privacy.com or a visa gift card with $1 on it and change to that card BEFORE you cancel so that way you can suspend the card and then cancel and not give any fucks if MoviePass "accidently" keeps billing you.

Thanks for this!

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Still buying 3 tickets a month for dates with my A list pass but man this app has gone down hill

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Suspiria is available a few times over the next week (including today).

My bigger problem is I'm not really feeling any movies that are out right now.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Welp, they removed almost all e-ticketing theaters except for an arthouse theater around me, so game is over. Put in my cancellation request. My primary theater was mjr which there are a ton of around me

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Android app won't even accept cancellations anymore.

I select "Service offerings" as the reason for cancellation
Click "Cancel Membership"
Confirm that, yes, I actually don't want any part of your terrible service anymore

And then I get:
"Membership cancelled. The last day your account will be active is on ________"

But no cancellation confirmation e-mail, and when I go back to Account Details, it still shows "Cycle renews on 11/07/2018"

Changed my payment card to an empty prepaid card, hopefully that will be enough and they haven't stored my prior card info somewhere "just in case."

burnsplaque.png

Oct 28, 2017
For your convenience, MoviePass will keep your account active. Just in case you change your mind!

I haven't been able to see anything with this in a week. Seems it's done for real this time.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I canceled about last week or so but did you guys get that fucking pointless email they sent out? The email appears in the inbox as "We're listening. We're learning. We're changing." When you open the email it's a picture of a dog and shitty dog puns. It's unbelievably dumb, bizarre...

Is it intentionally condescending? What is this company?

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I held out as long as I could, but the selection has just been abysmal for quite a while now, so I finally canceled. I didn't get a confirmation message or email or anything. How do I know my cancellation even went through?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I held out as long as I could, but the selection has just been abysmal for quite a while now, so I finally canceled. I didn't get a confirmation message or email or anything. How do I know my cancellation even went through?
You can try

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Select Cancellation Request and in no uncertain terms tell them you want to cancel. Hopefully, you switched your payment method to a null card before you cancelled. If you didn't, you can at least show your bank the Zendesk e-mail when you have to file a chargeback.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You can try

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Select Cancellation Request and in no uncertain terms tell them you want to cancel. Hopefully, you switched your payment method to a null card before you cancelled. If you didn't, you can at least show your bank the Zendesk e-mail when you have to file a chargeback.
Thank you. Hopefully it works. Moviepass was great while it lasted (I saw more movies in 1 year than I've seen in the past decade), but all good things must end.

Oct 28, 2017
I canceled about last week or so but did you guys get that fucking pointless email they sent out? The email appears in the inbox as "We're listening. We're learning. We're changing." When you open the email it's a picture of a dog and shitty dog puns. It's unbelievably dumb, bizarre...

Is it intentionally condescending? What is this company?

Yeah my wife and I had a good laugh at that. I'm not really sure what's going on. Here's the email, for those curious:

v2zhqmndbvnf8xg4t7tf.png

Woof! I'm Chloe, the Director of Barketing at MoviePass. I'd like to explain why from time to time you may have had a "ruff" experience with us but it turns out that I'm a dog and I can't talk. What I do know is that I see these humans working like crazy to make MoviePass better and better for you as fast as possible. They are so grateful for your membership and support while they work it out. We're listening. We're learning. We're changing.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
It's sort of surprising how much they failed.

If they simply managed to switch everyone over to the 3 movies a month without restriction or possibly (improved) movie schedule listI think they could have continued on. I am guessing the money situation is so bad that they can't even stand to keep the customers they do have. One of my subs is over this month and the other one next month. I have just been checking into whatever movieI want just to get a ticket. One of my accounts still has ticket verification and I have not submited a ticket for the last 3 movies and they haven't even kicked me off yet.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
The last movie I saw was Halloween on Oct 19, just a couple days after my cycle renewed on the 17th. Tonight when I tried to reserve an e-ticket for Overlord I was surprised to see the 'no more screenings available' message. I hadn't been paying close attention to Moviepass since there was nothing I wanted to see until this weekend and had no idea that e-ticketing for my nearby theater was removed around Oct 23 or 24.

I was already planning to cancel after seeing two movies this weekend. Comparing the "available movies" list and my former e-ticketing theater, at least I can see The Hate U Give on Monday. I'll do that then cancel, leaving my 3rd viewing for the month wasted. I'll also change my billing card to an emptied prepaid Visa before canceling.

Even if I had known about the newer wave of theaters removed from e-ticketing I don't think I'd have been able to check in for anything during the past 2-3 weeks due to the shit availability calendar. This is ironic because when I wrote the following post I was unaware that my go-to theater lost e-ticketing.

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, but how do people without e-ticketing manage to use MoviePass?

cAnYI7K.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Moviepass will let me see an indie movie this weekend, that's it. I'm done. Going to cancel today. Was good while it lasted.

I guess I'll give Sinemia a try? Anyone using that and having issues? Edit: just checked Reddit and it seems things are, unsurprisingly, going extremely badly in Sinemia land also.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Reading y'all experiences cancelling, I'm glad I bought the yearly pass from Costco when I did.

It expires next month but I've gotten way too much value out of it so I don't mind.

It was a good run.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Chloe has two weeks to fix this, or I'm out. They took away e-ticketing at the "close" theater to me (15 miles away), and they're doing their best to find the most obscure films possible so that you can't even check into one movie and go to another. Regal please!

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Every few months I see this thread coming up and I do a quick read and it seems that the service might not last another week. On every opportunity it lasts, but with worse service. I wonder what is the rock bottom they can achieve with people still paying for it.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, so much for seeing The Hate U Give this evening. It was showing in the app around noon, but as expected the showtimes disappeared around 4pm. I checked twitter around the same time and there were countless people complaining about the same thing.

I should have used my 2nd and 3rd viewings three weekends ago, at the beginning of my cycle. It was a gamble to wait any longer, but I was also busy and just didn't have many chances to go to a theater. The thing that bums me out the most is missing out on those extra reward points...

I guess I'm out by the end of this week.

Last edited:

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
I got some movie choices today for a change and went and saw first man. I'll stay on board for a bit if this keeps up. Or not if regal ever steps up.

whooter

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. Please save us, Regal. I'd settle for Alamo too. I need something in addition to AMC.

Alamo is beta testing a Season Pass program at their NYC location. Hopefully it will roll out to other locations soon. I had to abandon Moviepass for good when I couldn't find a single showing of anything at any theater within 30 miles of me. It was nice while it lasted.

Tempted by the Sinemia 30 movies/month package at $24 (in the KCMO area,) too...

Oct 28, 2017
Alamo is beta testing a Season Pass program at their NYC location. Hopefully it will roll out to other locations soon. I had to abandon Moviepass for good when I couldn't find a single showing of anything at any theater within 30 miles of me. It was nice while it lasted.

Tempted by the Sinemia 30 movies/month package at $24 (in the KCMO area,) too...

Visit the Sinemia reddit for about 10 minutes and you'll be turned off of that.

Oct 28, 2017

Visit the Sinemia reddit for about 10 minutes and you'll be turned off of that.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping regal steps up eventually.... I don't have an AMC theater here :(

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
The last person to leave should turn out the lights. :p

I saw 100 movies during the first year of membership. E-ticketing made the experience really smooth. $10 for 3 movies was still a good deal but I had planned to cancel after my Oct - Nov cycle anyway, since there just isn't much I want to see in theaters in the next couple months. It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks, MoviePass!

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
When I left my house around 1pm I had about 5 movies to choose from. When I got the to Regal and 1:08, all the movies were gone. I contacted them about it and all they said was "Sorry, we promise big changes are coming."
I'll stick it out for one more month to see if it gets fixed.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This might not be interesting to anyone, but I'm an avid moviegoer, so I figured I'd share. I've seen 20 films since September 1st. 11 tickets were purchased either out of pocket, or using points. The other 9 were purchased using MoviePass. 5 of those check ins were for films I didn't want to see, but purchased a ticket for the film I did. The other 4 were normal check ins/purchases. Here's a breakdown.

check in: Assassination Nation
watched: Assassination Nation

check in: Operation Finale
watched: Christopher Robin

check in: A Simple Favor
watched: Venom

check in: Halloween
watched: Halloween

check in: Indivisible
watched: The Grinch

check in: Beautiful Boy
watched: Beautiful Boy
I hate to game the system the way I am, but their service is pretty terrible about letting me see what I want, when I want. Most of the time there's either nothing available, or what is available, I don't want to see. This is the only way I can really get my money's worth. So as long as they don't do anything to stop me, I'm gonna continue with the service.

Nov 27, 2017
I finally canceled my account. It's tough to even check in to another movie and see what you want because they make so few films available.

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. I cancelled as well. If I could even see one movie a month, I'd probably keep it (and tickets are cheaper than $10 for an indie here). I can't even get that out of them. I kept it to use as IndiePass in addition to A-List, but they've made that impossible.

Kinda sad, but fuck them.

Also not sad, because I'm sure I'll get charged for next month anyway.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Amazing to me that most movie chains in the US don't have their own "all you can eat" movie card in 2018. In the UK this has been a thing for about 15 years. £17.99 a month and I can watch any film I want from my local chain. I average about 10 movies a month so just £1.79 a film-ish.

Hope you guys get a better alternative soon.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
Any other ways to fake moviepass into canceling? Tried using my moviepass card (lol) but that didnt go through. Thought i heard people saying that works...

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So they removed my one e-ticket theater, so this is done for me. When I cancel, what should I do to ensien they don't charge me in a month anyway?