• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I haven't misused mine. Even though we saw Blade Runner twice, the first was 3D and we didn't use the Movie Pass. Not being able to use it to rewatch movies is a tolerable restriction and I can see why it'd be there. Hopefully this gravy train doesn't derail too soon because it's saving me a load of money (my wife and I go to the cinema at least once a week even before we got Movie Pass). I don't expect it to last a year, but it's a good saving for me in the meantime.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is a joke right?

Yeah its like they are creating a ton of loopholes where they can choose any to kick people out of the service. What happens if you go to a movie and it sucks and you just leave before the end of it? Part of the reason why I liked Moviepass so much was that it allowed me to go see movies in the theater that I 100% would not have wasted money on. I've already walked out of several movies because of it.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just read through their new terms. Not a great sign but we haven't been abusing ours so far so maybe it won't affect us.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Blader Runner three times because October was kind of a dry month for movies. Please forgive me movie pass.

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
How are they going to tell if you don't view the movie in its entirety? Can't you just only allow the app to check your location while you're using it?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna say it again, since it was buried at the end of my novel of a post bitching about my issues.

I bought tickets for a movie I have ready seen multiple times, after this thread was started. It worked no problem. So, they have seemingly not actually changed back to only allowing people to see a movie once. Not yet at least.

Before when this rule was implemented, the app would grey out that movies show times and straight up tell you you couldn't see it again.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Signed up back on the 16th, still waiting for my card to arrive in the mail. Hoping the whole process goes smoothly.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
Me and the gf signed up on Sept 14. After 3 weeks, she got a "your card is on the way" email and it arrived a few days later.

I never got a shipping email but now every other day I get an activation email where they say I should've received my card (its still not showed up) and to click the link if I haven't received it yet.

I tried the chat in the app but never got a response.

Has anyone dealt with that and how did you fix it?

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had my card for almost two months now, never had a problem with it. I've seen 8 movies with it so far (5 and 3 month to month breakdown). The new TOS seems like little more than a way to dump unprofitable customers without legal liability. If I had a reserved seating AMC closer to my home I would undoubtedly be one of those customers, but I think I'll be safe seeing one a week at the most.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Yeah, I have no idea how they would check that.

In theory, if you get a ticket for a 4:30 pm showtime and they know the runtime is two hours, they can track your GPS location from 4:30pm-6:30pm and make sure you're still in the theater.

I don't know how feasible that actually is though since the majority of times I have no cell service or reception inside of theaters. Using GPS for 2-3 hours seems like it'd deplete your phone battery too. I'm guessing it's mostly just a scare tactic right now though.

Oct 30, 2017
They've introduced quite a few new restrictions in the new TOS. Some that I've noticed:
  • If you cancel your MoviePass subscription, you may not subscribe to the Service again for a period of nine (9) months.
  • MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month.
  • MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month.
  • Subscription fees may be increased by MoviePass to reflect changes in standard ticket prices, inflation, MoviePass's costs, and additional taxes and costs not imposed by MoviePass.
I predicted this kind of stuff would happen just before Thor/Justice League. No price increase yet but they've took away the rewatch feature. This is probably only the start, unfortunately.

The part about reserving the right to limit the number of movies or charging more for power users was already in the old terms (under 27.3):

MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members at anytime. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month.

The rewatch feature hasn't been taken away. It was also already there (under 27.2)

27.2. A valid MoviePass subscription entitles you to: (1) see one 2D film every 24 hours through MoviePass; (2) see a 2D film title one time through MoviePass; and (3) a single seat, depending on availability, for a 2D film showing open to the general public.

Link to old ToS: https://web.archive.org/web/20170911214352/https://www.moviepass.com/content/terms

Basically, these aren't "new" restrictions.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who used to work at a theater, just get a ticket for anything else and walk into the theater you want, nobody cares. Just don't be loud or get in peoples way and you can enjoy your time, you paid to get in.

moviepass refuses to get the correct times for my local theater so I've had to buy tickets to other movies just to go when i want

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got email that says I got my card and they will start billing me tomorrow.

FYI I have no card (been checking my mail everyday) and I signed up August 19th.

This service is the absolute worst

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
Probably depends on theaters to report unused tickets. Should be trivial for theaters with assigned seating.

This is obviously directed at people using the pass to get rewards.

Yeah I remember reading posts that people were buying tickets and just throwing them in the trash. :( Guess this will only happen if the theaters start cooperating with them.

In theory, if you get a ticket for a 4:30 pm showtime and they know the runtime is two hours, they can track your GPS location from 4:30pm-6:30pm and make sure you're still in the theater.

I don't know how feasible that actually is though since the majority of times I have no cell service or reception inside of theaters. Using GPS for 2-3 hours seems like it'd deplete your phone battery too. I'm guessing it's mostly just a scare tactic right now though.

Yeah that would be terrible if they update their terms that you have to keep GPS on for the duration of the movie. I assume its just a scare tactic. I just wish there weren't so many people abusing the system, its a great deal as it is.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Oct 30, 2017
My bad. Thanks for pointing that out, I've edited my post.
The other noteworthy changes are:
  • They can charge a $25 fine if you (ab)use MP to buy something other than a 2D ticket
  • You can't walk out of a movie more than once a month; though I don't see how they can enforce this
Unless you plan on abusing the service, not much has changed

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I've never received my card. Moviepass assume I have and I keep getting emails every 2 days:
screenshot2017-10-30ar0kw8.png

There is no way to speak to them live. i opened a ticket 7 days ago asking them to cancel my membership and they are still spamming me today.

This is so damned annoying.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Seen 5 movies so far with my pass. Haven't had any issues using it at all.

Good way to kill a few hours a week with new releases and to see more movies I wouldn't otherwise pay for.

hpkomic

Oct 30, 2017
California
I've been using Moviepass to see a couple movies a week, so I am not sure how the TOS changes will effect me. The whole thing has worked like a dream for me.

I fully admit I will probably see Thor and Star Wars multiple times, so my hope is that I won't be restricted from doing that too much. I don't have a lot of money to do much of anything these days and Moviepass is my big indulgence for myself.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
The other noteworthy changes are:
  • They can charge a $25 fine if you (ab)use MP to buy something other than a 2D ticket
  • You can't walk out of a movie more than once a month; though I don't see how they can enforce this
Unless you plan on abusing the service, not much has changed

Updated again, cheers.

The $25 fine I don't like because there has been two or three occasions when their app offered up wrong screenings to me (a Dolby Cinema premium showing that I had to pay $4 out of pocket for). That would be against their TOS even though it was completely their fault. After that I had to start checking the Fandango app first to ensure the showings offered through MoviePass were actually the correct (standard) ones and not premium showings.

If they're going to start introducing massive $25 fines like this, they need to make sure that their data is 100% perfect first. At the moment their data is absolutely terrible - missing/wrong posters, completely wrong run times (all of the movies say between 14-60 minutes), allowing me to select ineligible screenings (Studio Ghibli/Fathom Events stuff), etc. They say that you can dispute the $25 fee, but it's nearly impossible to actually get a reply from customer service.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen about 5 movies this month alone (New releases and old horror movies at my local theater). Saved $60 easy.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
How do they know if you walk out of a movie, does your phone have to be on and allow tracking your location at all times?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I saw 2049 six times. I guess I'm part of the problem.

I'm pretty sure the dude on the last site said he was using it, just to acquire Stubz points and had 2 weeks of Spiderman showings is the problem. Not someone actually using it.2049 six times in 3 weeks isn't bad at all. Buying tickets to Spiderman everyday is.

I've had it since Sept and gone to 10 flicks so far. It's going to be getting more use this weekend with Thor till the end of the year

Oct 30, 2017
How can they tell if you used your card for a 3D movie?
One way would be to load the card with a little more money than the theater charges for regular tickets. If a partial transaction goes through for more than a regular ticket, it can trigger a red flag on the account, and they can reach out to the theater to see exactly what was bought in that transaction. This would require the cooperation of theater though

Human

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was going to be able to see a Bollywood movie today since it was shown to be eligible yesterday, but it no longer was. :(

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I admit to watching a couple of movies a couple times, as they were good enough and wanted to watch them again with friends. Generally watch... I think four times a week though, nearer to the weekends.

Glad they updated and clarified the point. I am looking forward to Thor and others soon!

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The whole thing they have against seeing the same movie multiple times kind of sucks. Would have liked to have been able to use it a second time seeing Blade Runner 2049.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. They've only sent me one TOS update notice (today) since I signed up, which was right after the $9.99 pricing. There was no multiple viewing restriction then. When was this ghost TOS update that they allegedly just removed?

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what you guys are talking about. They've only sent me one TOS update notice (today) since I signed up, which was right after the $9.99 pricing. There was no multiple viewing restriction then. When was this ghost TOS update that they allegedly just removed?
The restriction has been there up until today. You can see it in the archived version of the TOS:

27.2. A valid MoviePass subscription entitles you to: (1) see one 2D film every 24 hours through MoviePass; (2) see a 2D film title one time through MoviePass; and (3) a single seat, depending on availability, for a 2D film showing open to the general public. This excludes premium showings such as: 3D films, IMAX, 4D, XD and specialty theaters. MoviePass access is available every day of the week, subject to the theater being open, inventory, and usage. Alternative MoviePass subscription plans can include (1) premium plans (3D, IMAX, and specialty formats) and (2) capped plans (limited amount of movies per month).

https://web.archive.org/web/20170911214352/https://www.moviepass.com/content/terms

That wasn't removed in the ToS update made earlier today, and people thought the restriction was added or reintroduced

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
SO can you still cancel through the app or did I hear that you actually have to put it in writing with CS? Cancellation should be painless and instantaneous.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
We'd be interested to take the kids regularly when they come out with a family option. And I am wary of the various delays in cards and signups and the whole process seems cumbersome.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought I'd have endless troubles with actually using the card in the cinema (employees being endlessly confused) but my theater has a self check out kiosk that works like a dream. I took my daughter to see Wonder Woman and My Little Pony, and I saw Blade Runner. Not bad for $20.

I didn't know about the no rewatch term though. I really wanted to catch Blade Runner on a big screen again.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Signed up on the 15th of August. Still nothing. Their CS has told me multiple times it would be arriving within 10 business days, only for those 10 days to come and go. Just got the email assuming that I had my card, which is just straight B.S.

I want a refund from this shitty company, but I can't even get their customer service to reply on either twitter or their app.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Hey - how are couples doing at using this?

My wife doesn't like going to the movies as much as I do, so getting her a MoviePass feels like a waste, but I'd like to make sure we sit together (our local theater is reserved seating only). My solution thus far has been to make those the exceptions where I buy tickets, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

Additionally - any AMC people know if we can use Stubs alongside this?

Fei

Oct 25, 2017

When you buy tickets at the box office, just pay with two cards. I'm in the same situation, so I tell the cashier I want two tickets, reserve the seats, and then use my MoviePass for the first ticket and a different credit card for the second ticket.

Oct 28, 2017

My wife doesn't like going to the movies as much as I do, so getting her a MoviePass feels like a waste, but I'd like to make sure we sit together (our local theater is reserved seating only). My solution thus far has been to make those the exceptions where I buy tickets, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

Additionally - any AMC people know if we can use Stubs alongside this?

My wife has one now but for the first month or so she didn't. We just went to the theater on time and I bought the tickets at the same time. Half to one card, half to the other. Worked no problem.

You don't necessarily get the pick of the litter on seats, but if you have reserved seating with recliners sitting at the front of the theater (or really, in the first four rows or so which are almost always open) is fine. For a big movie like Thor I will go buy the tickets during lunch. It's worked perfectly so far. I imagine the only movie you won't be able to see on release day this year is Star Wars.