• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
If a theater that I used to go to with MoviePass only has "Unlisted Showtime" in the app, should I be worried that they won't accept MP anymore?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did the Android app regress? It actually got shittier. The theater list is all over the place and it doesn't list it by nearest theaters. I am not an app developer, but I know a shitty app when I see it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
My AMC has RPO playing in nothing but IMAX, Dolby and 3D tomorrow. Not one 2D showing. Big FU to Moviepass ha

I don't see how that is an FU to moviepass. Seems like they just want more money from tickets. Every AMC I have gone to has been more than willing to split the cost of a premium ticket between Moviepass and another payment. They know it's against the TOS for MP, they don't care though.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
XyujcvWl.png

Uhh what is this

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I cant even find loyalty option anymore. I think bf Goodrich or wtf that one theater is called supported it.

Oct 28, 2017
Card suddenly stopped swiping at all the theaters around me, so I had to ask them for a replacement.

Facebook private messaging actually has great customer service. Might as well just link the app's support page to their social media accounts instead of that unmonitored chat.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had to get a replacement card yet? I'm waiting on mine right now. Will it already be activated when I get it or will I have to play cat and mouse with their shitty customer service again?

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had to get a replacement card yet? I'm waiting on mine right now. Will it already be activated when I get it or will I have to play cat and mouse with their shitty customer service again?
My replacement took about two weeks, you will have to reach them (I did it via Twitter) and swap out the card.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So is it still taking forever to get a card when you initially sign up?

Really tempted to sign myself and the wife up, don't know if our local theater supports e-tickets though...that's why I ask.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Really tempted to sign myself and the wife up, don't know if our local theater supports e-tickets though...that's why I ask.

I got mine in about a week after I signed up in middle of March.

I saw Ready Player One in 70mm at my local Alamo Drafthouse last night. I had to pay $6.5 since the 70mm was extra expensive, but it wasn't too bad. It does make using the Moviepass at an Alamo or another theater that does reserved seating a challenge.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

It takes 5-10 days for most people, for a small percentage it can take weeks or months or never show up.

I saw Ready Player One in 70mm at my local Alamo Drafthouse last night. I had to pay $6.5 since the 70mm was extra expensive, but it wasn't too bad. It does make using the Moviepass at an Alamo or another theater that does reserved seating a challenge.

I hope you didn't use your MoviePass card and pay an extra $6.50 to upgrade to 70mm. Thats against MoviePass TOS and people have gotten banned for it. You are only allowed to use MoviePass for a single 2D ticket, no premium features are allowed like IMAX, 3D, Dolby, 70mm, Fathom Special Events, etc. What you did is called a split transaction - MoviePass covers part of the ticket fee, you use something else for the remainder - and a few thousand people got banned back in february for doing it.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Question for those that use moviepass at regal cinemas.

Are they cool with taking the moviepass card and using you regal rewards card? Customer service person give you any grief on it?

I ask, because AMC customer service says you can't use it if you try and buy at the counter, but I just buy tickets at the kiosk and get points that way.

If AMC continues to be petty about it, I'll just start going to regal.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're buying food, you can buy the ticket over the phone or online w/ your normal CC, and then use the ticket to pay for a giftcard for the ticket amount once you get there. Charge will look the same either way.

What DiamondAge warns about: The amounts need to match. Because it's generally a fixed limit on an individual charge, you can overcharge your card and that'll get flagged.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're buying food, you can buy the ticket over the phone or online w/ your normal CC, and then use the ticket to pay for a giftcard for the ticket amount once you get there. Charge will look the same either way.

What DiamondAge warns about: The amounts need to match. Because it's generally a fixed limit on an individual charge, you can overcharge your card and that'll get flagged.

Thanks. I almost never buy food at a theater; it was only the extra charge on the 70mm showing. I paid the normal cost of a ticket with the Moviepass card ($16.50) and the remainder ($6.5) on my actual credit card. I think that should be fine.

pedrothelion

Oct 28, 2017
Question for those that use moviepass at regal cinemas.

Are they cool with taking the moviepass card and using you regal rewards card? Customer service person give you any grief on it?

I ask, because AMC customer service says you can't use it if you try and buy at the counter, but I just buy tickets at the kiosk and get points that way.

If AMC continues to be petty about it, I'll just start going to regal.
I go to a Regal theater at least once a week with moviepass. Not only are they okay with me using my regal card, they'll remind me to use if I forget to give it to them.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
My MoviePass account has been glitched since I signed up last August. Never once has a rep ever responded to my chat messages, emails, tweets, or anything, ever.

Whenever our cards aren't working, my girlfriend has to chat with a rep on behalf of both of us, because they won't respond to me. I'm thinking of opening a new account, because this is just beyond stupid.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It takes 5-10 days for most people, for a small percentage it can take weeks or months or never show up.

I hope you didn't use your MoviePass card and pay an extra $6.50 to upgrade to 70mm. Thats against MoviePass TOS and people have gotten banned for it. You are only allowed to use MoviePass for a single 2D ticket, no premium features are allowed like IMAX, 3D, Dolby, 70mm, Fathom Special Events, etc. What you did is called a split transaction - MoviePass covers part of the ticket fee, you use something else for the remainder - and a few thousand people got banned back in february for doing it.

Is there proof of this "few thousand people" getting banned?

I paid for two 2D showings the other day and used my moviepass to pay first. They loaded too much and it helped partially pay off the second ticket too. The card was overcharged. I don't think there's anything in the ToS about having to only buy one ticket at a time with MP. I don't see how they would simply flag any overcharge and punish.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I paid for two 2D showings the other day and used my moviepass to pay first. They loaded too much and it helped partially pay off the second ticket too. The card was overcharged. I don't think there's anything in the ToS about having to only buy one ticket at a time with MP. I don't see how they would simply flag any overcharge and punish.
They can line up the moviepass charges with what rates "should" be charged and if there's a consistent discrepancy flag it. It's just spreadsheets and algorithms.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm really hating how the showtimes on the app never ever match my theater lately. I always have to pick the option for if you don't see the show listed.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else that has to take a photo of your stubs have issues with the app asking multiple times for the pic? It's like they don't update your account that you submitted a stub pic until midnight rolls around.

Also, the picture it takes is super grainy.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait, Landmark is finally supported? I've been waiting for months for my local theater to get on the list! I think I'll finally jump into Moviepass. Is the best option to buy from their site or is there another outlet to get a better deal from?

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Anyone else that has to take a photo of your stubs have issues with the app asking multiple times for the pic? It's like they don't update your account that you submitted a stub pic until midnight rolls around.

Also, the picture it takes is super grainy.

Haven't had to do this yet. Annoying if they start to require it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They can line up the moviepass charges with what rates "should" be charged and if there's a consistent discrepancy flag it. It's just spreadsheets and algorithms.

So again, say if I'm going with my gf everytime and purchasing two tickets at a time, how are they going to penalize that? There's nothing in their ToS about only buying one ticket in a transaction with the MP afaik. On their end it will look like an overcharge similar to buying a premium seat, except it's not.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So again, say if I'm going with my gf everytime and purchasing two tickets at a time, how are they going to penalize that? There's nothing in their ToS about only buying one ticket in a transaction with the MP afaik. On their end it will look like an overcharge similar to buying a premium seat, except it's not.
They will penalize it by lumping the datasets (expected price of check-ins vs actual charges) together and kill accounts that are repeatedly mismatches.

This should not be hard to comprehend.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

Its literally in their TOS that you can only buy one ticket per card, and a bunch of people did get banned for doing that.
https://www.moviepass.com/terms/
2.6 You agree to choose the movie title, theater, and showtime on the day of the performance, but prior to the session's commencement time, through the MoviePass App. You also agree to only activate your MoviePass Card for a single ticket purchase by Theater Check-in through the Site, and use your MoviePass at a ticket kiosk at your selected theater.
2.14. You may use MoviePass Card to purchase a 2D movie ticket at a theater kiosk. You may not use MoviePass Card for any other purpose, including but not limited to, unauthorized purchases or purchases exceeding the value of a single movie ticket. MoviePass allows for a single valid transaction for a movie theater ticket.

The problem with split transactions is that usually MoviePass loads more than the single ticket amount to cover taxes and/or future rate increases. So if your average 2D ticket costs $10 at theater Y, they may always load $11. If you do a split the first card will get charged $11 and the second card will get charged $9. Still $20 total but one card got charged more. Even ignoring that debit transactions include a total charge amount that covers the full transaction and that amount is gonna be higher than a single ticket and set off flags for any data queries.

Look I totally agree the MoviePass system is dumb as fuck and theaters completely fuck people over by constantly splitting charges for couples or groups going together but this is not some goddamn Houdini mystery shit, the debit transaction network clearly sends the following data when doing transactions:

Date/Time, Category, some location info
How Much Total Charge Is - it negotiates this and will get back a max value allowed if the total exceeds the debit card loaded amount
amount charged

This isn't secret info, every tier 1 debit card transaction includes this information and everyone knows about it. Hell, there is a website you can track exactly what goes in and out of your MoviePass card, it shows you the exact history of what happened with your MP (or any other debit) card
https://www.agileprepaid.com/Cardholder/Quickbalance/FindCard

Lots of people reported back in february that they got banned for doing split transactions and buying higher tier tickets and paying the difference. Lots of people did NOT get bans, who knows what MoviePass ban logic is like. I haven't heard of any bans since then but clearly they have all this data and can do it any time they want.

Feel free to do whatever you want but I'm just warning everyone that if you do split transactions or buy higher priced tickets and pay the difference you may get banned at some point.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They will penalize it by lumping the datasets (expected price of check-ins vs actual charges) together and kill accounts that are repeatedly mismatches.

This should not be hard to comprehend.

I think you're missing the point.

I'm not breaking tos by using my MP in the scenario I outlined above. However to MP, it will look similar to a premium ticket purchase because the actual charge is higher than expected. How would they tell the two apart?

Nvm. Apparently it is against the ToS. Oh well

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that will get you ganked is if the normal ticket is $12, the 3D is $17, and they see a $16 charge for a $12 movie check in. Which is almost certainly what a bunch of people were doing.

At Alamo I was in line behind two guys (this was months and months back) who bought a ticket and a $5 giftcard alongside their ticket with their MoviePass swipes. That's gonna get noticed.