• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a thread on the new site, so here is one.

moviepass-promo-700x323.jpg

Last edited:

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Edit: My bad, seems that most of this stuff was in the old TOS too as pointed out by NullUserException in post #64.

They've introduced quite a few new restrictions in the new TOS. Some that I've noticed:
  • If you cancel your MoviePass subscription, you may not subscribe to the Service again for a period of nine (9) months.
  • They can charge a $25 fine if you (ab)use MP to buy something other than a 2D ticket
  • You can't walk out of a movie more than once a month; though I don't see how they can enforce this
  • MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month.
  • MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month.
  • Subscription fees may be increased by MoviePass to reflect changes in standard ticket prices, inflation, MoviePass's costs, and additional taxes and costs not imposed by MoviePass.
I predicted this kind of stuff would happen just before Thor/Justice League. No price increase yet but they've took away the rewatch feature. This is probably only the start, unfortunately.

Last edited:

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of limiting number of watches is people genuinely going to movies multiple times and how much is to stop abusers who are trying to rack up points without seeing anything.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much of limiting number of watches is people genuinely going to movies multiple times and how much is to stop abusers who are trying to rack up points without seeing anything.

I'd imagine it's a bit of both they're concerned about, honestly. The people willing to see movies multiple times in theaters are probably already seeing ridiculous numbers of movies. It makes sense to curtail those viewers somehow. And those who like to buy a ticket for points on the way to work will only get to do so 1-2 times a week now instead of 5 days a week.

I'd gladly pay $20 or $30 for Moviepass at this point, and I don't see movies multiple times, so these changes do not affect me whatsoever now.

I wonder how they track whether you subscribe again within 9 months. Name/address? Just address? Credit card number? Of those, it seems only name/address would be remotely effective and even that not much since theatres rarely actually check the name on a card.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many movies it takes to get into that new price option? I love the service so I don't want to be abusive towards it. Tickets at my theater cost 10 bucks. I probably average 2-3 movies a month so for me it's totally worth it.

Not being able to see a movie twice is kind of a bummer but not the worst thing.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am getting beyond fed up with them. If I wrote out all my issues, it'd be a novel. Gonna try and keep this short.

Reserved seating has never worked at my theater. It fails to load the seating chart. Has done this for the three months I've been signed up. I contacted their support, they told me it was a problem with my theater and it'd be fixed THAT NIGHT. Couple months later, it still hasn't been fixed. I have contacted their support over and over about it, and they just ignore me. My father and brother have as well as they have accounts, they have also gone completely ignored.

They finally got back to me a week and a half ago with a message that was pretty much "We see you've been using your movie pass, so we assume everything is good. Case closed." I tell them that while it works in non-reserved seating, it still isn't working with reserved seats, which is what my fucking complaint was about. I also tell them that ever since their eticketing system went down at all goodrich theaters some weeks back, their app has been a mess. Their eticketing died, but is now back. BUT, ever since then, I have tons of showtimes and movies not showing in the app. Has been like this for a few weeks. At the time I wrote them last Sunday, there were seven movies showing that weren't appearing in the app. It fluctuates day by day, but looking at it now, it is just as bad with tons of showtimes not appearing.

They AGAIN ignore my problem about reserved seating not working at all, and tell me if I ever have a show time not appearing, just buy the ticket, contact support, and they'll refund me. I point out that they are still ignoring my initial problem, which they told me would be fixed forever ago at this point. They ask me for my phone model, firmware, and app number. Less than 24 hours later, I hadn't responded, and they sent an email saying if I don't respond by the next day, they would close the complaint ticket. Pretty fucking rude. I respond with everything they ask for, inform them it doesn't work on my wife, brother, or fathers phones either, and again remind them that they told me weeks ago it was a specific problem with my theater. Now, 8 days later, after they pressure me into responding quickly under threat of closing the complaint ticket, I haven't heard a thing back from them.

So, it's a great thing when it works. But, if you are having issues, good fucking luck with their customer support. I am just assuming it won't be getting better at this point. I could have lived without the reserved seating thing, but now that the app has totally gone to shit for my theater, I'll be cancelling my and my wife's accounts after I use it to see The Last Jedi five times.

EDIT: If they have really changed their "multiple viewings of the same movie" policy, I'll just be cancelling today.

EDIT 2: I just bought tickets to a movie I've already seen twice. It worked no problem. So, at least for now, they are still letting you see a movie more than once.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely surprised. The initial offer was too good to be sustainable, so a lot of us were expecting to see changes in the terms and, eventually, pricing.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's award season now, this movie pass is going to get a lot of use now, already have seen about 10 films in a month

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

How can MoviePass reliably tell the difference though? If someone watches Justice League and Thor multiple times this November, are they an abuser trying to rack up loyalty points or are they just a comic book superhero fan?

Not a fan of these new restrictions as they're pretty vague and open to MoviePass's interpretation. And if they decide that you're a heavy user, you essentially have no choice but to accept their (undisclosed) higher fees, since if you cancel you can't rejoin for nine months. It's a mess imo.

NES

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I got it for $10 per month but have never used it

seems like a bitch to use if you actually want to see a movie and sit next to a friend in a theater that has assigned seating, which is most of the decent theaters in Los Angeles

correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a HUGE pain in the ass. you have to physically show up to the theater the same day at an earlier time and buy the tickets with your friend...in person

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
How do they know if you have left there theatre while watching a movie?

GPS tracking?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
So they changed the once per movie to get people to sign up then changed it back two months later. Total crap.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
How do they know if you have left there theatre while watching a movie?

GPS tracking?

Where are you seeing that?

I still haven't signed up but it doesn't sound like anything here would apply to me. Never seen a movie more than once in theaters and don't care about reserved seeing.

Oct 28, 2017

seems like a bitch to use if you actually want to see a movie and sit next to a friend in a theater that has assigned seating, which is most of the decent theaters in Los Angeles

correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a HUGE pain in the ass. you have to physically show up to the theater the same day at an earlier time and buy the tickets with your friend...in person

Just don't buy them early. Unless it's a huge new release, there are always decent seats available.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
How can MoviePass reliably tell the difference though? If someone watches Justice League and Thor multiple times this November, are they an abuser trying to rack up loyalty points or are they just a comic book superhero fan?

Not a fan of these new restrictions as they're pretty vague and open to MoviePass's interpretation. And if they decide that you're a heavy user, you essentially have no choice but to accept their (undisclosed) higher fees, since if you cancel you can't rejoin for nine months. It's a mess imo.

I'm not sure why they need to. Either way it seems like a move to limit use. I was just wondering because I'm curious if most repeat viewing are due to abuse or people seeing a movie they love repeatedly.

Oct 25, 2017
If you use your MoviePass Card for any purpose other than to purchase a 2D movie ticket at a theater kiosk, or we have reason to believe that you have done so, you acknowledge and agree that we have the right to charge a fee of $25 (twenty-five U.S. dollars) ("Penalty Fee") per occurrence on the form of payment you provided to us for your MoviePass subscription. If you believe that you have been charged a Penalty Fee in error, you may contact customer service to dispute the charge within 60 days of incurring such charge.
Looks like they have also added a $25 penalty fee if you use your card to buy anything other than 2D movies. I definitely get why they're doing this, but I also am unsure they should be punishing customers who buy 3D/IMAX tickets when the app lets them. They should work on getting that fixed before implementing something like that.

Otherwise, none of these new rules really bother me. I would rarely go see the same movie twice (even though it apparently still works). If they want to limit the total number, they should no longer call it unlimited, and be very transparent about how many you have left. I'm thinking the limits are going to be super high, for abusers only.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Moviepass has worked smoothly the whole TWO times I've used it, but they've just charged my third month despite me only getting my card on September 22. I've sent them multiple messages across twitter and in the app and can't get any response. I'm afraid if I dispute the charges with my cc company, moviepass will nix my membership and there's a good number of movies coming up I'd like to watch.

It's pissing me off.

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a horrible experience with MoviePass so far. It took over a month for me to recieve my card and it hasn't worked for any film I've attempted to see since I've received it. The worst part about this experience, is how horrible the non-existent customer service is with MoviePass. You can't call anyone (since MoviePass offers no customer service hotline) and their team rarely replies to emails/messages. I canceled my subscription last week and I would advise folks to stay far away from this broken ass service.

Last edited:

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Still love it. Watch movies opening week now instead of waiting to see on Redbox or TV. Moviepass pays for itself the first time I use it in a month at my favorite theater. And the extra points for free stuff is a huge bonus.

Probably will cancel if it ever goes over $20 and go back to seeing 3 movies tops in a year.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
i got my pass a month and a half ago but haven't gotten around to using it... they sent me an e-mail this morning saying i've probably received my pass and that they'd be starting my month of service tomorrow regardless LOL

which is fair... but limiting people to one ticket per movie is a little strange. i guess it makes sense, but was it really that big of a problem? and have they stated exactly what the threshold is on them raising your sub fee? probably like 12 movies a month? i can't imagine going that often but i'm sure some have been milking this for all it's worth

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a horrible experience with MoviePass so far. It took over a month for me to recieve my card and hasn't worked for any film I've attempted to see since I've received it. The worst part about this experience, is how horrible the non-existent customer service is with MoviePass. You can't call anyone (since MoviePass offers no customer service hotline) and their team rarely replies to emails/messages. I canceled my service last week and I would advise folks to stay far away from this broken ass service.
I've had the exact opposite experience. It took me 1 week to receive my card, and I've seen 3 movies and 2 theaters so far with no issues whatsoever. The lack of customer service is concerning though, in case an issue ever does arise.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I've mostly had zero issue with Moviepass (I think I've used it 8 times in 2 months?), except for yesteday- the Fathom Events showing of Spirited Away showed up in the app, and I selected it, but when I went to the ticket kiosk, there wasn't enough money on the card to buy the ticket.

They need to get better about this stuff. I've seen people saying they are seeing IMAX stuff as eligible in the past.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that they said they'll charge a $25 fine for purchasing tickets that you didn't check in for, I might just go when there's a regular/dolby showing at the same time and just buy the regular with movie pass at the kiosk and then go to the box office and exchange it for Dolby saying " I picked the wrong movie" and pay the difference.

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
I've mostly had zero issue with Moviepass (I think I've used it 8 times in 2 months?), except for yesteday- the Fathom Events showing of Spirited Away showed up in the app, and I selected it, but when I went to the ticket kiosk, there wasn't enough money on the card to buy the ticket.

They need to get better about this stuff. I've seen people saying they are seeing IMAX stuff as eligible in the past.

Yeah, they need to fix the app, you're not supposed to see any Fathom stuff at all.

Oct 28, 2017
Now that they said they'll charge a $25 fine for purchasing tickets that you didn't check in for, I might just go when there's a regular/dolby showing at the same time and just buy the regular with movie pass at the kiosk and then go to the box office and exchange it for Dolby saying " I picked the wrong movie" and pay the difference.

I didn't notice this, but it is interesting. How on earth would they know, though?

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing they have against seeing the same movie multiple times kind of sucks. Would have liked to have been able to use it a second time seeing Blade Runner 2049.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Glad the U.S. is finally getting this, but it still seems quite backwards compared to the equivalents we have in Europe. Like, you have to be within a 100yd. radius of the cinema or something? In the UK you can book weeks in advance and location doesn't matter. Hope MoviePass changes this soon because it's a pretty dumb restriction, especially if you want a good seat on a busy night and don't live near your cinema.

EDIT: Also this crap about checking in and getting the credit on your card seems hugely over complicated. With my Odeon Limitless card I log in on the website, book my ticket, choose my seat like any normal punter, then print the ticket when I get there at a ticket machine. Easy.

Oct 28, 2017
2D and 3D/IMAX movies cost different amounts.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of going on Tuesday to buy tickets for a movie on Friday. Honestly I have not done this, but I was considering doing it for Star Wars (of course, ethically I would not buy a ticket on the day Star Wars came out so I'm not really screwing anyone). They couldn't possibly know so long as I didn't buy a matinee, right?

Glad the U.S. is finally getting this, but it still seems quite backwards compared to the equivalents we have in Europe. Like, you have to be within a 100yd. radius of the cinema or something? In the UK you can book weeks in advance and location doesn't matter. Hope MoviePass changes this soon because it's a pretty dumb restriction, especially if you want a good seat on a busy night and don't live near your cinema.

It's to prevent sharing of cards, and honestly is a sensible and reasonable restriction.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious if they had gotten their shit together, as I'd probably like to subscribe to their service.

If I just want to see showings at locally run theatres that don't have assigned seats, am I good to go?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's to prevent sharing of cards, and honestly is a sensible and reasonable restriction.

Here all the membership cards have our names and photos on, so at any time a staff member can ask to see my card when ripping a ticket and if I can't present the card I can't get let in.

Granted they've only ever checked mine like twice in 18 months. MP just seems very inefficient to me.

Oct 28, 2017
I was curious if they had gotten their shit together, as I'd probably like to subscribe to their service.

If I just want to see showings at locally run theatres that don't have assigned seats, am I good to go?

You'd have to have someone check and confirm those local theatres are valid for MoviePass (the vast majority are), but otherwise yup you're good to go. Just show up when you normally would and use that to buy your ticket instead.

Here all the membership cards have our names and photos on, so at any time a staff member can ask to see my card when ripping a ticket and if I can't present the card I can't get let in.

Granted they've only ever checked mine like twice in 18 months. MP just seems very inefficient to me.

It is inefficient. But it is also necessary.

Oct 25, 2017
True. I was thinking more along the lines of going on Tuesday to buy tickets for a movie on Friday. Honestly I have not done this, but I was considering doing it for Star Wars (of course, ethically I would not buy a ticket on the day Star Wars came out so I'm not really screwing anyone). They couldn't possibly know so long as I didn't buy a matinee, right?
I suppose it's GPS tracking as other people have stated. I doubt they constantly monitoring your GPS, but if they notice funky activity on your account they might look into it.

Since the app only allows you to check-in to movies from that day, it is against the rules to buy tickets for other days. Kind of annoying, but I guess they're concerned with people buying tickets and then not even going, which almost certainly won't happen if you're in the theater on the day of.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

Yeah it works perfectly fine for that usage scenario. Before signing up though, enter your zip code on moviepass.com and see if your nearby theaters are supported.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
My theater's checking has always been lax. If you bought a ticket, you could probably get into any showing. So that restriction doesn't really faze me.

I still haven't activated my MoviePass yet. I think Thor will be my first on it.

OP
OP
CyReN

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the language was left over from their last TOS according to the MoviePass reddit. Waiting on confirmation regarding repeat movies.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
No, the 100 yard thing is completely due to the way MoviePass has implemented their system. See, Moviepass wants to do business with movie theaters but very few of them want to do business with MoviePass, because if a lot of people sign up (millions) then MoviePass will be like the Walmart of movie theater chains, dictating terms to theaters and if theaters don't play ball they will simply blacklist that theater from MoviePass potentially costing a huge chunk of customers.

So MoviePass decided to "hack" their way around theaters reluctance. They have a debit card, and when you tell the MoviePass app that you want to see a movie, it loads the debit card with the right amount for the ticket using data MoviePass purchases from theater metadata sites on listing times, prices, etc. The debit load is only valid for 30 mins, and technically could be used anywhere since its very hard to geo-block debit card transactions. If everyone was a 100% honest customer this works great.

Unfortunately everyone is not honest. People have been buying AMC/Regal gift cards with the debit card. People have been buying groceries and gas with it. Thats pretty easy for MoviePass to catch, since at least debit card transactions list the transaction type and Movies is very different from groceries. But food you buy INSIDE the theater looks exactly the same as a movie ticket as far as the debit network is concerned. The only thing would be the amounts don't match, but even then, if someone got a senior discount ticket it won't match maybe what the meta-data says, its just an entire mess.

MoviePass's fundamental business model is a huge hack and extremely poorly implemented, in order to force theaters to accept them. Their hope is they get so huge that then they can dictate terms to movie theaters or take away a big chunk of customers if theaters don't play ball. Thats a really dicey way to run your business though.

People keep saying "no, its like netflix! Give it time to grow!" Not really. It would be like Netflix if Netflix originally started as a company that let you rent movies, and when you picked a movie to rent they would send an employee to your closest blockbuster, grab your movie, and then deliver it to your house. Not a really sustainable business model. A sustainable model would have been MoviePass buying tickets directly from theaters or bulk ticket resellers and limiting how many you can get but they wanted growth at all costs..

The new TOS are there simply so MoviePass can cut out people who are clearly using their service "too much", and they can decide what too much is whenever they need to kick someone specific out. So they will run queries to see the top users every day/week and figure out from their data a way they are in breach and remove them. I'm sure for people who only use it 3-5x a month, which is like 90% probably, it will have no impact at all. It will suck for anyone who tries to use it to buy 3D/IMAX or fathom events or future tickets since you will technically be in breach, although I'm not really sure how MoviePass will ever get that information except when the price doesn't match what they think it should be, but even that is not a perfect approach due to kids/senior tickets, discount days, etc.

There is another service similar to MoviePass, sinemania or something I think, that only allows you to get 2 (@ $10) or 3 ($15) tickets a month, but it works on any (3D/IMAX/etc) so if MoviePass eventually does die thats an alternative.

Oct 27, 2017
This should be a community style thread for discussing the service and movies seen on it. Can it be?

Because I saw the new Saw and movie pass saved me from spending my hard earned money on that traysh.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah exactly here, thinking about cancelling it tbh. It already didn't work for me for a movie, kept getting declined at the kiosk making me look like a fool so I payed out of pocket.

Hoping to go Thursday morning to get a Thor ticket but I worry it won't work lol

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we find further clarity on rewatching movies. I can see myself rewatching Star Wars: The Last Jedi more than once.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'll ride this train till it runs off the tracks. That $25 penalty is complete bullshit though and I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get screwed. I wish they just changed it to giving you X amount of dollars a month on the debit card since ultimately that is what they are trying to control and stop with all these restrictions.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Sucks they've made some of those changes but at the very least the early adopters got a hell of a movie deal for a few months. I'm still happily subscribed but I hope this isn't the sign of things to come.