AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Embarrassing, fun while it lasted Might hope on AMC pass at this point before anything changes.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017

Why are you choosing to do surge pricing instead of just raising the price? Wouldn't it make more sense to just charge $15 or $20 like AMC?

By keeping the unlimited price as our base offering, you still get the best deal possible. AMC's higher price means you pay more for way fewer options. Our model though lets you continue to see movies in a way that works best for you.

They're shook.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh. It's still a way better deal than full price.
Depends. How many movies do you actually watch each month that you want to see vs. those you watch because it's part of the pass? And would you want to pay the fee for the movies that you were not interested in to begin with? And suddenly it's something like $20 for two movies.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
... and my stock price is down to $0.194 :(

giphy.gif

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the meeting when one of the execs suggested surge pricing.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Last movie I watched using moviepass was bladerunner. I assumed their business model was like that of gyms, where you pay for membership but nobody uses it. If I continue to go to movies as rarely as I do then it would be cheaper to just pay the theater instead of paying an extra $3.50.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AMC lets you see it on ANY format and lets you reserve seats from the app from anywhere. It's hilariously better.

MoviePass lets you do that too with e-tickets. I got my Ant-Man ticket at 12:30 a.m. to make sure I had a good seat. And MoviePass lets you see movies in nearly all theater chains. AMC is only better if you only ever go to AMC theaters and watch 3D or IMAX movies often.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
MoviePass lets you do that too with e-tickets. I got my Ant-Man ticket at 12:30 a.m. to make sure I had a good seat. And MoviePass lets you see movies in nearly all theater chains. AMC is only better if you only ever go to AMC theaters and watch 3D or IMAX movies often.
Etickets aren't available everywhere.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AMC lets you see it on ANY format and lets you reserve seats from the app from anywhere. It's hilariously better.
It's also $20 a month.

Compared to MoviePass' $10 a month that can be used at almost any theater.

I still consider MoviePass a better deal, but as we've seen, it was too good to be true.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While this sucks big time, I'll live.

Users being able to waive it once per month is HUGE and a movie ticket still costs 17 dollars in my area so it's still a steal.

If this keeps Moviepass chugging along, then hell yeah. Let's hope it lives for years to come

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm exempt cause I'm on the Costco plan. I'm done after that. Not dealing with piecemeal bullshit.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yea, I think I'm going to lapse Movie pass this month. Can't do reserve seating and having to drive by the theater to do that is a constant struggle just to see something later on that day.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm riding this train until it crashes for good. I won't bother with the AMC subscription. Hopefully regal comes with a better plan.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got multiple AMC theaters near me so AMC A-List works for me. Also, I can schedule and cancel them any time I want to so yeah A-List works for more people I would think.

How can it work for more people if it's more expensive and limited to a single chain? MoviePass works with art house theaters too, so that's a massive amount of theaters it supports compared with just AMC. As I said, if you only ever go there and are not interested in going to any other theater ever and are okay with paying $20, sure, it's better.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
why do people keep saying it's $3.43, they just had to put a number as an example

they literally say in the email

Note: the actual Peak Pricing surcharge will vary based on showtime and movie title.

we have no idea yet, it may be way lower for a matinee day of release for example

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
How can it work for more people if it's more expensive and limited to a single chain? MoviePass works with art house theaters too, so that's a massive amount of theaters it supports compared with just AMC. As I said, if you only ever go there and are not interested in going to any other theater ever and are okay with paying $20, sure, it's better.

AMC has Dolby Cinema, which projects the movies with Dolby Vision HDR. No other chain has that. So yea, it's better.

May 10, 2018
The AMC vs Moviepass thing comes down to location I think.

My local AMC for example is nice, has a bar and Dolby. Get your food delivered to your seat as well.