• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Boom. Oh, and the three free movie offer (Happy Feet, The Martian, Furious 8) is still going on.

Movies Anywhere said:
What devices support 4K UHD and HDR?
The following TV-connected devices are capable of playing 4K UHD/HDR content using the Movies Anywhere app:

• Apple TV 4K
  • Roku streaming stick +
  • Roku Ultra
  • Roku 4 4400R
  • Roku TV 4k
  • Roku Premiere- not hdr
  • Roku premiere +
  • Google Chromecast Ultra
  • Amazon Fire TV Cube
  • Amazon Fire TV stick 4k
  • Amazon Fire TV 3rd generation (2017)
  • Toshiba 4k Fire TV Edition
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Sony Bravia Android 4k Smart TVs

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea what you're trying to say. I did a Google search for clarification and all I found was this thread.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Movies anywhere is so fucking amazing, I only found out about it like a month ago. I was such a fucking idiot to buy so many movies on PS video.

Never again.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I absolutely need to get in on this. My Shield is already salivating. Any known way to create an account of of the US ? I've tried through VPN and it doesn't work they detect & reject it.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
took 1 month for 12$ aaaaaand it's not working either. Bummer.
The only way I could do it was use a VPN and use the option to sign in with my Google account. It didn't matter which VPN I used, I think I used IP Vanish however I also have a lifetime sub for TigerVPN via XDA Developers, as long as it was set to US I could sign up to VUDU, etc. using my email address however. When using the services I have to have the VPN active obviously.

I hated UV so much, everything about it seems half arsed, MA is legit great for bring all services together.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Movies Anywhere*

*(as long as "anywhere" is "in the US")

It won't kill UV until they bother to support markets outside the United States. If UV could do it, so can Movies Anywhere.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
So just the Movies Anywhere app gained 4k support? I've been redeeming 4K movies through the app and watching in 4K on the Vudu app.

Any reason to watch through the Movies Anywhere app vs Vudu?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need this to come to the UK. I have a pretty substantial UV library and I'm absolutely shafted for options to play them on my TV.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was it certain studios? I can't recall a 4K movie that was redeemed through Movies Anywhere that didn't play as 4K in Vudu. This sounds more like Movies Anywhere is catching up to Apple's and Vudu's playback capabilities.
It's now that you can play them in 4K in the Movies Anywhere app itself.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wish that MA (and Vudu, Google Play, etc) would finally start supporting mobile HDR like iTunes does on iPhone X/XS.

One of the main reasons I went with a S9+ a while ago was that it had HDR, but then the only stuff that supported HDR on the screen was a handfull of stuff on Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, but none of my digital movies. Since I don't have a 4K TV (and likely wont upgrade my TV for quite a few more years), my phone is the only place I'll be able to see HDR for a while.

I know it's a weird case since most HDR phones aren't actually 4K, so I assume these services either would need to downsample 4K to get the HDR working, or offer a totally different version of the movies that are 1080 but have HDR. Either way, I wish they'd do it.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Was it certain studios? I can't recall a 4K movie that was redeemed through Movies Anywhere that didn't play as 4K in Vudu. This sounds more like Movies Anywhere is catching up to Apple's and Vudu's playback capabilities.

It's mostly older movies looking at my library. Sony titles in particular but there are a few from other studios (ET for example). Phantom Thread is a more recent one that's only hdx.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I have no idea what you're trying to say. I did a Google search for clarification and all I found was this thread.

MA app now has UHD + HDR10 playback support. Previously it only supported 1080p playback, though it did pass thru UHD rights. It also now supports linking to the Xfinity service, so any movies you have on MA port to Xfinity and vice versa.

No.

Wow, I absolutely need to get in on this. My Shield is already salivating. Any known way to create an account of of the US ? I've tried through VPN and it doesn't work they detect & reject it.

You need a real US IP. Either have someone create it, or ensure you are using a tunneling VPN and not just a DNS redirect.

I don't think ma supported 4K/hdr previously?

MA always supported passing of 4K/UHD ownership rights, but the app itself previously only supported 1080p max playback.

Curious how their 4K+HDR compares to iTunes and Vudu. Anyone know if it's Dolby Vision?

HDR10 right now.

Oh. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of a service almost making it to 2019 with no 4K support. I thought this might be some awkward way of saying something like MA movies were gettng free UHD upgrades.

UV has -zero- playback support. MA is a right store, like UV, but it also offers playback as a bonus. Previously this was 1080p max, now it also supports UHD/HDR playback. Unlike Amazon/Vudu/etc. MA is NOT a storefront. You cannot buy anything directly from MA.

So just the Movies Anywhere app gained 4k support? I've been redeeming 4K movies through the app and watching in 4K on the Vudu app.

Any reason to watch through the Movies Anywhere app vs Vudu?

MA sometimes has extras that storefronts like Vudu don't bother to load up. Also, MA supports Fire TV and Vudu doesn't, so weirdos like BronsonLee now have a TV app solution. :)

If Vudu (or another storefront) doesn't have the 4K rights, it'll only support 1080p until it gets it. For a handy (non-MA) example, Paramount has all the Transformers movies in UHD. Vudu does not. You can have the UHD rights in your UV account but you won't get UHD playback on Vudu. The difference here is that UV has no playback app, so those UHD rights are kind of stuck in limbo. If Paramount were a MA partner, then you'd be able to playback in UHD via the MA app even if the storefronts didn't have it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Movies Anywhere would start supporting mobile HDR, like iTunes movies do on the iPhone X's.

My XS Max is the only HDR capable device I own (and a new TV is out of the question for another year or two) and I'd love to be able to have all my HDR capable movies work on it.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I wish Movies Anywhere would start supporting mobile HDR, like iTunes movies do on the iPhone X's.

My XS Max is the only HDR capable device I own (and a new TV is out of the question for another year or two) and I'd love to be able to have all my HDR capable movies work on it.

To be fair, every MA film syncs to iTunes, so you can already watch them all on your iPhone XS Max.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when is MA coming to the UK? My UV collection is essentially fucked with only an iOS option for viewing.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia Shield TV keeps on getting love. I love that little box so much.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody in the US would be kind enough to create an account for me ? I think everything else is open worldWide and only the account creation itself is locked.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, every MA film syncs to iTunes, so you can already watch them all on your iPhone XS Max.
The problem is that half my digital movie collection is Disney stuff (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc) and that's still annoyingly not in 4K yet on iTunes (if it ever will be).

Granted I haven't heard great things about most Marvel and Star Wars movies HDR quality, hutnid still like to be able to see for myself.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I managed to set up an MA account back in August. I used a free VPN to set up the account (I'm in Ireland). It's really nice to see my films show up on different services. The only problem is I have a US and IE iTunes account and I would have to choose between them to link to MA. You have to wait something like 180 days to relink the same service, so just switching between the two isn't a real option.

So with this update to MA, I assume it will stream Disney content in 4K on my Apple 4K TV? The iTunes Disney content isn't 4K as you know.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I thought MA was the "hub" for all those services. Or do they have their own player and this still won't sync 4K between services.

As far as I can tell, it isn't syncing 4k with other services. To own the 4K version, you need to pick the platform you want to own it on (the rest then get an HD version).

I think iTunes is good about giving you the 4K version automatically when you redeem there