• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's a lot of Stephen Chow's back catalog. Most of his stuff since the early 2000s has gotten a global release, but his older 80s and 90s stuff is super spotty. Some on DVD, some digital, some cycling in and out of streaming services. I guess there's just not enough of a market for them overseas and not enough incentive in China or Hong Kong.

Like, man, what I would do for King of Comedy on Bluray. I was kind of hoping the sequel/remake would motivate them to put it out, but that hasn't seen an international release either!

Oh man, at the mention of Stephen Chow in your first sentence my first thought was "King Of Comedy"! Yeah, that's something i'd really love to have on BD. There actually are several of his older films on BD in Hong Kong, but not that one. :/ However, i wasn't aware of a sequel/remake. I see it came out last year, was it any good?

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I've been purchasing a lot of Blu-rays recently, as I'm setting up an Emby server and want a lot of my favorite movies on rotation. That said, I'm always discouraged when I search for certain movies and realize that there seems to be zero interest in anyone re-releasing them on newer formats, remastered or otherwise. I think the worst aspect of this has less to do with having a higher-quality version of any given movie and more to do with the fact that the lack of a re-release will limit people's opportunities to discover these movies, since what little exposure they might've had to them probably won't happen without a re-release.

Specifically, I'm really bummed about the following movies:

Encino Man (1992) - Not only does this movie not have a Blu-ray release, but it seems that the only version on DVD readily available for purchase is a 16:9 crop of the 4:3 version (which is just bizarre) that omits the "Ow, my pancreas!" line (which is even more bizarre).

What're some movies that you consider to be lost to time in that you don't expect re-releases to Blu-ray or other formats, and what do you like about them?
It's on Vudu in HD at least. A lot of movies that aren't available on blu ray at least have HD releases digitally. At least it's something!

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
For me it has to be Last Night, starring Sandra Oh and Don Mckellar, with a cameo role by David Cronenberg. Small Canadian film about the end of the world. Got a really shitty Full Screen DVD release and then nothing. It's a fucking shame.

Don't even get me started on James Cameron's films outside of Avatar that he has completely ignored for for almost 20 years now.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I love this movie but don't think we'll get a better copy (outside of DVD) ever:

0qmMKqk.jpg

If you haven't seen yet very higly recommended (kinda like Stand By Me).

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Night of the Juggler - A former cop (James Brolin), aligns with a street smart young clerk from the New York City dog pound (Julie Carmen) on a harrowing search for his daughter who is kidnapped by a psychopath (Cliff Gorman) after being mistaken for a wealthy man's daughter. His search is met with obstacles as he runs afoul of the police in his pursuit, including a former corrupt colleague bent on revenge against him. Meanwhile, the kidnapper is just as prepared to kill anybody, including his young hostage, unless his colossal ransom demands are met. (From wikipedia)

It's a great look at New York City in the early 80s. James Brolin is looking like Christian Bale in it throughout. Fun flick.

Hell yes, this is one of my favorite VHS only titles. Apparently no one is sure who owns the rights to it. If Vinegar Syndrome can untangle Spookies, maybe they can tackle this as well.

Vice Squad - Vice Squad is a 1982 action/crime drama film directed by Gary Sherman and starring Wings Hauser, Season Hubley, and Gary Swanson. The original music score was composed by Joe Renzetti and Keith Rubinstein. Wings Hauser sang the vocal track on the film's opening and closing theme song "Neon Slime".[2] (From Wikipedia)

Great crime drama.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of my long time wants have come out recently or are coming soon:
Blue Collar just got released by Kino.
Come and See is coming from Criterion eventually.
There's a Wong Kar Wai set coming soon.
My Bloody Valentine 1981 has been properly restored and we'll finally see the cut unrated scenes in better than trashed reels on DVD quality
etc, etc

my top picks:
The Devils (as close to director's cut as possible)
Night of the Juggler
A Gun For Jennifer
Danger: Diabolik
Strange Vice of Ms. Wardh (there are euro blu-rays of this but they aren't great, I think Severin may be putting this out)
Peter Greenaway's films in general but specifically The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, ideally from Criterion or other company that'd put tons of effort into restoration and extras.

would be fun:
unrated cuts of the Friday the 13th sequels, if the elements still exist

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket Science (2007)
Mean Creek (2004)
No Retreat, No Surrender 2 (1987)
No Retreat, No Surrender 3 (1990)
Super Fights (1997)
Blood Moon (1997)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, at the mention of Stephen Chow in your first sentence my first thought was "King Of Comedy"! Yeah, that's something i'd really love to have on BD. There actually are several of his older films on BD in Hong Kong, but not that one. :/ However, i wasn't aware of a sequel/remake. I see it came out last year, was it any good?

I wish I knew - I haven't seen it yet. I've seen some people call it his best in years, some people call it a huge waste of time and effort, so I'm really curious. I've been holding out for a US release, but I might have to bite the bullet and import the HK one, since it's almost been a year at this point without any news.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toys is a great choice. Movie has a ton of problems and also is a masterclass visually. Holds up.
Saving Silverman is a dumb, ugly movie that's incredibly funny. It deserves a re-release because it might be the funniest film of the last 20 years (okay I'm crazy).
Street Trash fucking beautiful camp horror from a masterful cinematographer.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe a classic like Catch 22 never got a Blu-ray release. How is it Criterion never got a hold of this?

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the South is definitely flawed but James Baskett was the first black male performer to win an (honorary) Oscar for his performance in the film. I wish there was a way Disney could respectably release it while acknowledging its issues and not profiting off of it. A Disney+ release would probably be the closest thing to that. I doubt you will ever see another home release. Did you know it was re-released in theaters FIVE TIMES?

The film premiered on November 12, 1946, at the Fox Theater in Atlanta.[25] Walt Disney made introductory remarks, introduced the cast, then quietly left for his room at the Georgian Terrace Hotel across the street; he had previously stated that unexpected audience reactions upset him and he was better off not seeing the film with an audience. James Baskett was unable to attend the film's premiere because he would not have been allowed to participate in any of the festivities, as Atlanta was then a racially segregated city.[32]

Song of the South was re-released in theaters several times after its original premiere, each time through Buena Vista Pictures: in 1956 for the 10th anniversary; in 1972 for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney Productions; in 1973 as the second half of a double bill with The Aristocats; in 1980 for the 100th anniversary of Harris's classic stories; and in 1986 for the film's own 40th anniversary and in promotion of the upcoming Splash Mountain attraction at Disneyland and Disney World. The entire uncut film has been broadcast on various European and Asian television networks including by the BBC as recently as 2006. The film (minus the infamous Tar Baby scene which was cut from all American television airings) was also aired on US television as part of the Disney Channel's "Lunch Box" program in the 1980s and 1990s until December 18, 2001.

My other suggestion was going to be The Christmas Toy but it turns out Amazon Prime actually had the whole thing (including the intro with Kermit) last year? That's encouraging

XvPUt9r.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's on Vudu in HD at least. A lot of movies that aren't available on blu ray at least have HD releases digitally. At least it's something!
Yeah, I've been tempted to buy it on Amazon, but I'm trying to not purchase movies through them anymore due to their handling of 4K content, as well as the fact that browsing your own video library through Amazon is a complete chore.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Drop Dead Gorgeous. Apparently it made it onto Hulu last year, but for those of us outside of the US, no such luck.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
The few that come to my mind are:

True Lies
Abyss
Felix the cat: the movie
Beyond the minds eye remastered
Spice World

karobit

Oct 27, 2017
I would love The Phantom Tollbooth in HD -- it did finally get a DVD from Warner Archive but otherwise was relegated to VHS-only for decades.

Also, despite the fact that they apparently hate it, can't we get a bluray of Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy? Please?

Project A-Ko may not count since it is readily available on DVD, but the big catch is it's an old Laserdisc transfer.
And the OCN and any other known film prints have allegedly been lost since. :(
rl="true"]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zardoz-Blu-ray-Sean-Connery/dp/B00ZFS8ZDG[/URL]

I had assumed I wouldn't see a US BD until it was released in HD in Japan, now I'm gutted to know that will apparently never happen.

At Play in the Fields of the Lord

I don't know why I have such a strong memory of hearing the trailer guy say the name of this film but I assume I just saw ads for the PPV a lot (like Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down, Days of Thunder, and My Blue Heaven)

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the South is definitely flawed but James Baskett was the first black male performer to win an (honorary) Oscar for his performance in the film. I wish there was a way Disney could respectably release it while acknowledging its issues and not profiting off of it. A Disney+ release would probably be the closest thing to that. I doubt you will ever see another home release. Did you know it was re-released in theaters FIVE TIMES?

if you haven't def listen to the you must remember this about song of the south . http://www.youmustrememberthispodca...uth-episode-1-disneys-most-controversial-film

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Street Trash is on Blu-ray.
The original Dawn Of The Dead is on Blu-ray but expensive.
The original My Bloody Valentine is on Blu-ray but expensive.
Zardoz is on Blu-ray but expensive.

I have Danger: Diabolik in HD on Vudu. Better than nothing.
Drop Dead Gorgeous was streaming free in HD on Vudu until a week or so ago.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
MV5BZGVmZTUyZDAtYjg0MC00NmE5LWE2OTAtM2FjNGI1NWUyMzE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_.jpg

And no, the region-locked UK Blu-ray doesn't count.

The perfect storm of Disney not wanting to spend one more penny on this and Nintendo hating it, ensures we won't get a Shout Factory release or anything.

It's not even available digitally, save for the Rifftrax version.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I recently had to hunt for Gummo and Pink Flamingos, which don't have Blu-Ray release AND are not available to stream anywhere. I don't see that changing either, especially not for Pink Flamingos.

Someone might have replied already but Pink Flamingos has had a blu in the works at Warner Bros for at least a couple years now. The only reason Criterion aren't doing a release is because WB specifically wants it. Waters has been involved in new extras as well.

On that same note I'm hoping for a blu or Desperate Living at some point.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Bird on a Wire
Abyss
True Lies

Not films, but TV shows too :
How I Met Your Mother
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Great thread. I am always looking for a new, decent release of John Sayles' "Matewan." Seriously great movie about labor struggle fights. Should be a modern classic. It got a pan and scan release on regular DVD but the transfer is abysmal. Hoping for a proper release some day...

And.... I just looked it up for the first time in ages and it is available on a Criterion Blu Ray release! So ignore my post but see the movie!!!

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Airheads was on blu-ray but went out of print and the price skyrocketed. One of those "wish I got it when it was $14". Hopefully a re-release soon.

Sometimes those come back.
Like The Cable Guy used to be extremely expensive and then it was rereleased recently.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I came here to mention Dawn of the Dead's unreliable releases. Luckily I nabbed the Bluray they released back when it first came out for MSRP.

Luckily the release of Zombi on Blu-Ray did lower the online asking price by like half (From like $100+ to $50+) for people who would want to get it. Still after Criterion's release of Night of the Living Dead; I'd love to see a Criterion release of Dawn of the Dead but somehow I doubt it'll ever happen.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
  • The King of Kong: It would even be better with a "Where are they now?" feature
  • Pi: How is this not on Blu-Ray in NA?
  • Departures: Great movie, if you haven't seen it, you should. No NA Blu-Ray release.
  • DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp: An absolute crime this isn't on Blu-Ray.

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Defending Your Life
Crazy People
Gung Ho
The Ref
Explorers
Young Sherlock Holmes (on Amazon Prime though)
The Super
The Worst Witch
Summer Rental

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
"Bad Boys Never Die" aka "Roadracers" from Robert Rodriguez.

Got in on VHS. It's got Salma Hayek, David Arquette, a killer soundtrack and a great, pulpy 50s vibe. I wouldn't call it "great" but very fun to watch.

Sadly I never see it being mentioned anywhere.
This one did get a region a blu-ray release about a decade ago. Not sure if it's out of print, but it is out there!

And for those mentioning Strange Days; that movie is pretty much the reason that I bought a Blu-ray drive. There are some solid releases in other regions if one has a region free player or the ability to use MakeMKV.