• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Calvary comes to mind.

It's obviously dark from the get-go, but most of it is typical McDonagh dark comedy in a similar vein as The Guard, with an ensemble cast of whacky townsfolk. Then it just keeps going. I spent a long time wondering if I even enjoyed the movie, but ultimately I did.

This has been covered to death by every "Top 10 WTF Moments in Nostalgic Children's Movies!" listicle, but The Adventures of Mark Twain gets pretty dark. Even removed from its infamous Mysterious Stranger segment, the latter half of the movie focuses on Twain being two people--one jovial, witty lover of life in a white suit, and one bitter, depressed misanthrope in a black suit. The conclusion sees the two uniting to become to full vision of Mark Twain before ascending to Halley's Comet to die.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Void. Thought it was gonna be a generic horror film then it gets fuckin dark as fuck

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Does From 'Dusk Till Dawn' count?
I thought on the contrary that it stopped getting dark out of nowhere LOL.

Not sure if it's "dark" but "Million Dollar Baby" is essentially 2 separate films.
Great example.

41nglW5hrXL._SY445_.jpg

Gymkata. When Kurt Thomas ends up in the Village of the Crazies. Spooked me as a kid, and I'm sure someone at Capcom got inspired by that scene for RE4.
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

AH AH AH Of course.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is almost entirely a black comedy, but there's one moment near the end where it got really fucked up when Del Toro's character started threatening the waitress after she started standing up for herself.

It got *too* real, there's no music or anything and I came out of it feeling really cold.

Last edited:

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
61ahy11PrcL.jpg

Maybe not entirely out of nowhere if you're familiar with Grave of the Fireflies and know that it's from the same director. But it's very brutal and tragic for a movie about cute animals.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was a movie called : I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.

Got really messed up at the end lol.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Brave Little Toaster, for a movie ostensibly aimed at kids, has a half dozen super dark moments. Even the musical bits are dark:

+1 for Running Scared as well, paint by numbers movie up until that point.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I love this movie but is it out of nowhere..? Titled 'Very Bad Things' I would think most people would expect the film to include some quite bad things.

Still, I'd recommend this to be watched with as little info as possible, the way the plot keeps on spiraling is well done. For me it hit the perfect balance, it's aggressive/dark yet also honestly amusing/enjoyable. Many 'dark comedies' seem to be only one or the other.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Not exactly 'dark' but...

Click_film.jpg

From comedy to drama.

One of Adam Sandler's entertaining films in my opinion.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie starts of some dark family stuff though. I guess unlike some other films, the escapism doesn't work so it's unexpectedly dark in other ways. Really love this movie overall, but I'm not sure it fits here..

Yeah, and the book has hints of it as well, but the film starts out kinda dark and sad but them it's FUN ESCAPISM LAND! and then that goes dark fast, like kinda scary, honestly. Before obviously warming up and being sad, but the film feels like it's going the route of friendship! learn a life lesson and a bitter sweet goodbye, seeing the imaginary world turn on Max so harshly was pretty jarring, as was the sad dialogue. Love the film though.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
How is Hancock not the first answer?

This is second place:

91dcguhlYKL._RI_.jpg

This one starts off like a typical undercover cop thriller, then veers HARD FUCKING LEFT and gets into some really, really fucking uncomfortable territory with these two assholes:

latest

I'm not gonna spoil it but god damn, I wasn't prepared walking into this one.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Lots of Korean movies do this. It seems like they all want to make me cry even though I wasn't trying to watch a tragedy.

Some of the ones I remember doing this right off the top of my head:

My Boss My Hero
It's a screwball comedy up to the point where one of the kids gets in a crazy graphic car accident.
Sex is Zero
A romantic comedy up until the main love interest gets pregnant and has an abortion.
Parasite
What is with Korean directors and heavy tone shifts? I saw a film called Save the Green Planet, I was in middle school at the time and went in completely blind and it was harrowing. Here's a poster:

Save_the_Green_Planet_Poster.jpg

Cute right? Little did my best friend at the time's parents know that it's focused around
an almost Saw-like imprisonment and torture scenario, includes multiple murders and culminates in the complete destruction of Earth.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
What is with Korean directors and heavy tone shifts? I saw a film called Save the Green Planet, I was in middle school at the time and went in completely blind and it was harrowing. Here's a poster:

Save_the_Green_Planet_Poster.jpg

Cute right? Little did my best friend at the time's parents know that it's focused around
an almost Saw-like imprisonment and torture scenario, includes multiple murders and culminates in the complete destruction of Earth.
This is a great movie. I was going to list it but I felt like it was kinda crazy from beginning to end. It's like the director wanted to stuff every kind of genre into one movie. Some people in this thread are saying Old Boy, but I don't feel like there's a shift in tone in that movie. Just a big twist.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Audition. Starts as a kinda romantic comedy film about a widow man trying to get back to the dating scene and then... well it gets way too dark. Great film.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
Look who's back for sure.

I don't want to spoil the movie but it goes from comedy toooooooo um.....yeah XD 0.0
You must watch it. Watch it noooooooooooow, or don't whatever. It's on Netflax

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
61ahy11PrcL.jpg

Maybe not entirely out of nowhere if you're familiar with Grave of the Fireflies and know that it's from the same director. But it's very brutal and tragic for a movie about cute animals.

hell no, they were obnoxious and really hard to root for. The message in the movie is incredibly important, but I really didn't careit otherwise.

And yeah, giant testicles didnt help
VGbEDhK.gif

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Looper for me. Was expecting some funky Sci-Fi action and got some Time Travel cutting people into pieces shit that scarred me for several days.... :D

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
The first half of Boogie Nights is a straight up comedy.

Wasn't there also that one movie a mother tries to prove her sons innocence discovers he's guilty then murders people to cover it up?

I knew I shouldn't have entered this thread. I'm pretty sure I know the film you're talking about, and I had been meaning to watch it soon since I've seen that directors most recent film not long ago. :(

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
So why are people say Oldboy?
the movie opens with the protagonist being kidnapped and imprisioned for years for aparently no reason.
we see how the isolation bleeds out so much of his sanity and humanity.

sure it gets worse from there but the general tone is pretty fucking dark from page 1

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Many Thai Comedy/Drama movies did a lot that movie suddenly become sad/dark moment (even Horror movies on Drama Part)
Example. ไอ้ฟัก / AI - FAK aka The Judgement (2004) Thai Movies that base from the novel.

nrIIcWf.jpg

From Poster You think is Romcom movie right?

Now Go read wiki for summary

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
The Transformers animated movie.

There we go. The kids and their parents thought the 1986 Transformers movie was a harmless kids movie about robot toys. Little did they know that Hasbro is about to scar them for good by cynically killing their favourites to clean out the slate and sell new toys.

VwdPea.gif

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
There we go. The kids and their parents thought the 1986 Transformers movie was a harmless kids movie about robot toys. Little did they know that Hasbro is about to scar them for good by cynically killing their favourites to clean out the slate and sell new toys.

VwdPea.gif

GI JOE The Movie featured Cobra Commander's gruesome transformation into a cobra and Duke being impaled by a poisonous snake.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parasite. The tone of the film was very uneven and I enjoyed the first half of the film a lot more than the second.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at all the mentions of Audition. Miike was known for making shocking films and it was almost exclusively marketed on the torture scene.