• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bridge to Terabithia takes the trophy here, IMO.

I was never asked to read the book in school. I had never even heard of it. And the ad campaign promoted the movie as if it was just another generic YA Fantasy movie.

New kid in town is alone and bullied. Cute neighbor girl shows up and teaches him how to play make-believe fantasy in the woods with her. Then one day, the kid blows off his play-date with neighbor-girl. She decides to go play in the woods without him. While crossing the "bridge" over a creek into their magical woodland realm, the girl slips and hits her head on a rock and drowns and fucking dies.

The rest of the movie is a literal funeral, because the people you know and love can fucking die as if it was nothing, and it's entirely unreasonable and unfair, but that kind of shit happens in life all the time so get used to it kid.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A more obvious one by Wes Craven, Red Eye spends the first 15-20 minutes pretending to be a romantic comedy.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been said in the thread already, but Click is definitely what came to mind for me.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
thanks! I had no idea what I was getting into, I thought it was a horror movie and it wasn't and then it just went psychopath... I watched it 20 years ago and still think about it.

One critic described it as "the most vicious betrayal of an audience by a film in my memory" and it's hard to think of a better description. Or recommendation.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

Just watched this.

giphy.gif

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Downsizing. I thought it would a weird comedy with funny premise but the film gets pretty dark fast.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Book of Henry - the tonal shift is pretty jarring. La vita e bella, works well as it's the point how war chabges everything. My favorite tho, Miracle Mile, starting off as a slow romcom for the first third, then...

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'll add in Green Room to the mix.

I saw it as.part of Odeon's Scream Unseen promotion, so horror was implied but the first 25 minutes of the film is generally a band of misfits on a road trip movie.

But then
it explodes in to one of the most viscerally violent movies I've ever seen. Two moments in particular still chill to me this day, one involving a dog and the other Anton Yelchins mangled arm.

As I say, I was expecting some kind of horror element, but the sheer level of violence in such detailed display totally caught me off guard.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Observe and Report was a dark comedy from the outset, but near the end it god really dark. More than I think was promised by viewers

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The Joker
It starts out as this really optimistic tale of a guy wanting to become a stand-up comedian, helping his sick mother.

You see him form a relationship for the first time, and you really think this could end with him pulling his life together,

and then it just falls apart, out of nowhere really

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fluke_poster.jpg

Aww, it's a cute tale of a puppy trying to get home—

ACTUALLY that puppy is the reincarnated soul of the man in the picture and experiences existential torment from being back home but unrecognizable to his family. He also suspects that the man his wife is now seeing murdered him and poses a threat to his family, but it turns out that the dog was a severe workaholic asshole and accidentally killed himself in a street race with the wife's husband after an argument.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Better Watch Out. I expected your average slasher movie, but it was way darker than expected and people are getting killed in a horrible manner and by whom.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Dusk Till Dawn was cleverly and deliberately Marketed in the uk as a new Tarantino partnership crime flick.

I went in expecting reservoir dogs.

Came out extremely satisfied and grinning.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
The Joker
It starts out as this really optimistic tale of a guy wanting to become a stand-up comedian, helping his sick mother.

You see him form a relationship for the first time, and you really think this could end with him pulling his life together,

and then it just falls apart, out of nowhere really
But...how could you not see it coming given the title of the film?

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I already knew what happens since it Pinocchio, wooden puppet comes to life, travels with his cricket friend, save his creator from the giant whale Monstro and becomes a real boy. Didn't expect how dark the Pleasure Island sequence can get with the slow transformation of boys into donkeys. And you figure after the movie over that the kids would be saved...but nope they are donkeys forever.