• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
FutureForcePoster.jpg

I mean there are reasons why this wonderful garbage ain't on dvd, I had to rip my old vhs myself, but I'd love a proper dvd release

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
A lot of made-for-TV stuff hasn't gotten a re-release since VHS days.

(Is it terrible to mention the closest theatrical cuts of the first three Star Wars movies as well? Only VHS and Laserdisc. I know that can open a can of worms, but it's true.)

Last time I checked, it was impossible to get the full version of The Hobbit cartoon outside of VHS. The DVD releases are missing bits of audio. Supposedly this is due to a fire, where the latest print was destroyed but an older version missing some of the audio was found. They didn't feel like wasting the time/money to restore the audio from the VHS releases for the DVDs. Audio problems sounds really petty, but I love the soundtrack, sound effects, and voice acting from the VHS version.

The Empire Strikes Back theatrical cut was available as a bonus feature on a now-out-of-print DVD release of one of the special versions; I have that disc, and it's the only cut of TESB I'll watch (it's my favorite film of all time).

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Anyone know of any significant examples? There are still some pretty well-known films that haven't made it from DVD to Blu-ray (or any other HD format), but what about movies with life spans ending at VHS?

I recall a thread on the other forum talking about this and most examples seemed to be of horror films. I know EverythingIsTerrible makes mix tape/compilations out of weird shit they find in thrift store VHS libraries, i.e. direct to video stuff that's just too fucking weird to ever port over. Wonder if anyone had any others in the way of honest-to-God feature films.

Here's an obvious one off the top of my head, although in the US it didn't even make it to video:

s-l1000.jpg

Never seen this... is this the blatantly racist Disney movie I've heard about?

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
There's a film called Missing Link that I don't think has ever had a DVD release. It's a late 80s/early 90s movie about... the missing link.

Another one that didn't last time I checked was At Play in the Fields of the Lord. Pretty good cast, but I remember it being two tapes long, not sure if that's why.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I got it at least a dozen times from the video store lol. I didn't give a crap about the anti drug message, just loved all the characters. I'll see if it's on YouTube later today.

Same! I was so young when I watched it and I honestly didn't remember the drug message at all (and there's a chance it went over my head cause I was so hyped to see all these characters in one movie that I couldn't give a shit about the plot) until Nostalgia Critic or someone did a video about it.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
High Strung.

Not that High Strung. This one:

DGrDvTp.jpg

Fortunately Steve Oedekirk put the whole thing on YouTube for free, but I'd love to see a version that isn't just a digitized version of the VHS copy.