• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
You know I think of Man of Fire. With the failed suicide bullet. It was a great scene and I'm sure he had his reasons, but he'd been so SO committed to that point. Maybe because the Father didn't know his daughter would be killed? I forget now.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Captain America absolutely kills at least two goons on the tanker at the beginning of Winter Soldier
405b397989dc6cfa472fe7280d4ff601b485cc48_hq.gif

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
This is every video game ever and I've been bitching about this trope for entire life. I hate it with a passion.
I don't see why gamer upset about it. Killing henchmen for 20 hours is a gaming mechanic. Unless you can find a better option, its just part of realistic 3d video games.

Movie is different, you don't HAVE TO show the killings.

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh I think only person he didn't straight up kill is the chick.
That brings up another issue. How many of these action movie mooks are women? Usually the number is zero, even in female-led movies. Applies to video games as well - the Tomb Raider reboot games are all about a woman going around an island killing men in increasingly brutal ways.

I've often seen MRA types bring this up and refer to this as the "disposable male".

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
That brings up another issue. How many of these action movie mooks are women? Usually the number is zero, even in female-led movies. Applies to video games as well - the Tomb Raider reboot games are all about a woman going around an island killing men in increasingly brutal ways.

I've often seen MRA types bring this up and refer to this as the "disposable male".

Most armies and PMCs don't have significant female representation.

Punisher S2 is a notable exception. Black Panther as well.

Oct 25, 2017

If they added female soldiers then those same people would cry about forced diversity and male genocide.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
There's this Steven Seagal movie called Urban Justice where his son is killed by a corrupt cop. That cop is on the payroll of a gang leader played by Eddie Griffin. Steven kills off a lot of gang members, kills the corrupt cop, but when it comes to the gang leader, this happens:

Simon: Now I know what you're thinking. You're probably thinking I'm gonna kill you. Well, I came here for one thing. And I did what I came here to do.
(hands the gun over to Armand) I got no beef with you.

[walks away]

Armand Tucker: That's a cool motherfucker. Now that's gangsta.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Luke busy murdering all of Jabba's thugs like it's no big deal, but gotta keep that purity later.

No, Luke correctly assessed that because of his conflicted emotions, he would never be able to defeat Vader one-on-one. And without Vader's help, he would not be able to take down the Emperor either.

It wasn't about Luke being pure, it was about Luke being practical and knowing his limitations. In the end, the goal of freeing people from the Empire was accomplished.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Not a movie but Arrow season 1.

The whole CWverse suffers from this, but yeah especially Arrow. Diggle and Mad Dog just straight up shoot people. I get that they're most likely rubber bullets or something, but an arrow or rubber bullet is bound to kill a goon through internal bleeding at some point.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never actually saw MoS but that's the scene everyone got upset about?

The bad guy forcing him into an unwinnable situation by threatening inocents and then him feeling bad afterward isn't really a big character problem.

It's probably the type of judgement Batman should have.
Its the dumbest in context. They legit kill millioms by flying through all of metropolis, then Zod uses eye beams when family could've just ran away in other direction as Superman held him.

The plot point is fine, just butchered.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I never actually saw MoS but that's the scene everyone got upset about?

The bad guy forcing him into an unwinnable situation by threatening inocents and then him feeling bad afterward isn't really a big character problem.

It's probably the type of judgement Batman should have.
The problem is that the movie never once establishes that Superman has a problem with killing. It literally never comes up, and then the movie acts like it's the climax to a character arc that never happened. There's also the fact that it's about saving civilians when this Superman has shown a near-complete lack of concern for them during his fights previously.