• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Globe nominations tomorrow (!!!)
Was wondering when that was gonna finally happen

The Front Runner
Oh Gary. Your colossal fuck-up was about three decades too early. Overall, I enjoyed the movie but ffs, the Washington Post reporter took forever to grow a goddamn spine.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Here's the thing with a lot of stuff like: the average Academy voter has no idea about what Hawke is winning especially from critics. Most hate critics to begin with and aren't going to care what they put on a list.

The Indie Awards they know, that matters. It has a legacy with Cassavetes who they adored. Gotham to a lesser degree but at least a name they probably recognize. They'll take note of those two in particular. Detroit critics? Nah.
Lol I am just listing the awards he has so far. The average academy voter definitely knows Ethan is having a fire head. Dude is Either mentioned or on the cover with every other favorite this year.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched Escape From L.A. (1996). A parody of the first movie. It's more like Evil Dead II to me, an absurdist exaggeration of the original without tipping completely over into meta-silliness, the way something like Gremlins 2 does.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.. is Rami Malek really in the running. Lmao.

For the Globes and the HFPA he sure is. Up in the air if he gets anything outside that, but he was easily the best thing in a pretty bad movie.

The average academy voter definitely knows Ethan is having a fire head. Dude is Either mentioned or on the cover with every other favorite this year.

You give voters way too much credit, they have a very short memory. Him not getting a Globe nom is going to hurt because I worry A24 will just not bother in pushing him, hopefully Indies and AFI will. Good for them and Eighth Grade, though. Watching that this weekend so not sure what to expect.

Also Hawke has not been profiled in any of the trades along the other actors being in the conversation in months and is absent for the Contender roundtables and interviews which are hitting their high right now in the trades. Of course Variety's actor on actor series isn't done yet, and there will be more time for a profile or interview, but I'm looking back months and there ain't shit. Not even a FYC advertisement push leading to the Globes which is really weird for A24. The last big set of interviews and profiles was in Aug/Sept, A24 needs to get it back in gear.

Screeners stop going out in two weeks. Is one for First Reformed going to even hit voters? That's how most see the movies. Meanwhile I have three for fucking Ready Player One somehow and a slew of movies I've never even heard of. A24 sent out their screeners last week in November and First Reformed was not included so...

Edit: I'm only prepping people if Hawke ends up "snubbed" when, in reality, I think A24 would be way more to blame. I hope he gets a nom.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, here we go. Much better. Not a huge readership for voters but at least we get this amazing photo:

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I'm resigned to Star is Born wining best picture, just unsure wether it takes several big awards or, as has happened recently, the love is spread. The Favourite is my favourite "awards" film of the year so far but it's too weird to actually take BP, maybe it'll snatch original screenplay.

Honestly I think it just want Nicolas Britell to win soundtrack the most, Beale Streets score is magical.
It won't. Hopefully.
If there's justice in this world that movie wouldn't win anything besides the Best Song.

So far, The Favourite has got the most wins, and I think it's destined to sweep lots of categories at the Oscars.
And even though I hated the movie, I think Hawke is likely to win Best Actor (he's won the most awards so far).

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
I've always been kinda curious by this process of academy members seeing Oscar wannabes by mailed screeners. What exactly are these mysterious screeners in quality wise and so forth. Do they contain just the movie or is there something else to dig in too. I wonder.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been kinda curious by this process of academy members seeing Oscar wannabes by mailed screeners. What exactly are these mysterious screeners in quality wise and so forth. Do they contain just the movie or is there something else to dig in too. I wonder.
Quality wise, it's mostly DVDs from what I understand. Don't know if they include other items.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
About to watch Spider-Verse. Preview screenings across the UK but they weren't advertised for shit so my screening has 5 people in it smh

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

I've had awards screeners before. Usually just the film on disc bit often a pamphlet or soundtrack CD with it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Quality wise, it's mostly DVDs from what I understand. Don't know if they include other items.
They're also kind of shitty too. I remember watching an American Sniper screener that looked really muddy and then the disc started skipping toward the end, cutting out a whole scene!

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Academy and Guild members are mailed postcards/letters (or sent links) to how and where they want to receive screeners and screening information in the fall. They fill out address and what they want to receive. Every studio and distributor send these out directly (though this year the Academy is consolidating for their own purposes).

Members choose if they want screeners, if they want it to be DVD or Blu, if they want scripts and soundtracks sent (which go for nice $$$ on ebay BTW) and if they want to mailed or emailed screening information to see it in theaters (Academy has two primary theaters in LA which rotate screenings throughout the year but especially heavy by the fall period and awards consideration, some are also what are called "rentals" and a studio or distributor can add as many screenings as they like if they want awards push, such as First Man which had six screenings I think).

Edit: Some movies are avail online to members as well, mostly docs and shorts etc.

Members fill all that out around late August/September then they receive screeners to that address, sometimes more than one if they're also guild affiliates because studios don't recognize crossovers like that.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like somebody's in the Academy.

Yeah my girlfriend (and other friends but mostly her so I get a lot of inside baseball about the shitshow on how that org is ran).

Plus my boss is a member, clients are members. Some I've actually had to vote on their behalf in years past because they couldn't get to a computer or don't want to bother.

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
Academy and Guild members are mailed postcards/letters (or sent links) to how and where they want to receive screeners and screening information in the fall. They fill out address and what they want to receive. Every studio and distributor send these out directly (though this year the Academy is consolidating for their own purposes).

Members choose if they want screeners, if they want it to be DVD or Blu, if they want scripts and soundtracks sent (which go for nice $$$ on ebay BTW) and if they want to mailed or emailed screening information to see it in theaters (Academy has two primary theaters in LA which rotate screenings throughout the year but especially heavy by the fall period and awards consideration, some are also what are called "rentals" and a studio or distributor can add as many screenings as they like if they want awards push, such as First Man which had six screenings I think).

Edit: Some movies are avail online to members as well, mostly docs and shorts etc.

Members fill all that out around late August/September then they receive screeners to that address, sometimes more than one if they're also guild affiliates because studios don't recognize crossovers like that.
Well, this information cleared some clouds. Thank you!

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
While procrastinating on the ~30 pages or so I need to finish by tonight, I watched First Reformed, which I've seen mentioned here or there with high praise.

Definitely a movie worth thinking about... Not sure I can fully come to a conclusion on how I feel about certain scenes (those ones) which took me out of the movie at the time, but I appreciate after the fact for the role they fulfill in the overall narrative.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't hate him, but I'm shocked that more people haven't seen through his facade, past the technical aptitude he possesses. He isn't shy about it one bit!

I still think he would have made for a better DP, but I guess Chivo is too strong of competition out of Mexico.
Yeah, I can't say that I've thought about his movies much after watching, but I do enjoy watching him show off.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason, my friend really likes watching shitty Netflix movies, so we watched Game Over, Man and it was really bad. Essentially the plot of Die Hard, but the protagonists suck, there's gratuitous nudity and violence, shitty CGI, and some very homophobic and sexist jokes(is it really necessary to drop the f- word slur in 2018?)

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Blackkklansman. Overall I liked it a lotbut I was afraid it got its message across with a sledgehammer sometimes so that every last person gets it.
While I'm talking about it - does anybody know the confederate (?) song that was playing at the very beginning over the crane shot of "Gone with the Wind"?

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tarantino got married
0AgM9ABl.jpg