• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) - 8.7/10. Impressively lives up to the hype. Beautifully and ambitiously animated, wonderfully acted by a diverse and surprising cast, and jugging absurdity and poignance surprisingly well.

The best Spider-Man movie, a top-tier superhero movie and one of the year's best. Give Nicolas Cage all the Oscars.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised her dress is covering her feet 💀💀
TiSVm51l.jpg

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Paterson: Boooring.

Manchester by the Sea: Boooring with some very good acting.

Fences: Good acting, less boring than the above.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
I finally got around to seeing Sorry To Bother You and Wildlife. I was pretty underwhelmed by both of them honestly.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Anyone checking out new Netflix releases this weekend? Mowgli and Dumplin'.

Also they're doing previews of Mortal Engines in the UK so I guess I should give it a go.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched the LOTR trilogy

The Fellowship of the Ring
★★★★★
(Extended)

I don't usually care for the fantasy genre. The movies, books, games that have interested me often fall into two categories: grounded, gritty, and violent (ie Game of Thrones, The Witcher) or interesting magic systems and engaging action/suspense (ie Mistborn, Lies of Locke Lamora). One of the few exceptions to that is this series, the pure unadulterated epic fantasy that is Lord of the Rings. (The films at least, haven't read the books yet)

Few cinematic works, movies and shows alike, present a world as real as the Lord of the Rings films. The places and peoples onscreen never come across as sets and actors, CGI and costumes, but like a window into some other world with the weight of its long history etched upon every frame.

It's a testament to the pacing of Fellowship that the first half doesn't feel like half a movie but a first film complete with an ending, with the post-intermission half being the adventure teased by that story. The charming days in the Shire don't overstay their welcome; just enough time is spent to establish the easy-going goodness of the hobbits and Frodo's innocence, to further highlight the contrast between the muddy towns, elegant Elven halls, and dark dangerous paths that lie ahead from the Shire's vibrant green and happy livelihood.

Movies like Raiders and Curse of the Black Pearl are called adventure films but Fellowship of the Ring (and the trilogy in general) is the cinematic embodiment of the term: a grand quest from the calm of the Shire into the harshness beyond, a clear destination and motivation always driving our protagonists forward, over and under and through amazing locations where new obstacles lurk at every turn.

Nearly 20 years since release and Fellowship has lost none of its luster. Every actor feels like the perfect choice for their character, every character is developed and distinct, every location is authentically detailed and/or epic regardless of how briefly it appears, there's barely a few minutes before another memorable line or moment occurs and there are many.

The Two Towers
★★★★½
(Extended)

As to be expected, The Two Towers very much feels like the middle act of a larger story. While Fellowship's story was a focused quest against a sprawling backdrop and epic consequences, Two Towers zooms out from one adventure into three major storylines and several smaller subplots, deepening the lore and expanding the scope. The threat no longer looms over just Frodo and his allies, but the world of Men and Middle-Earth in its entirety.

All of that set-up and widening narrative means that the plot loses quite a bit of the momentum that drove Fellowship, introducing myriad characters and backstories but never really giving us much time to care about them beyond how they help or hinder our protagonists. Much of the first half just feels like build-up; what would be the lull between the first act and second act climax in another movie, is two hours of setting up new plot lines and repositioning characters.

But none of that diminishes The Two Towers' strengths. Frodo and Sam, their compelling dynamic with the excellently-realized Gollum, their desperate journey. Aragon, Legolas, Gimli trying to gather allies and hold back the tide of evil. The epic spectacle, authentic sense of place, the grand vistas. Where the movie excels most is establishing the oppressive doom threatening to crush Middle Earth. In Fellowship, Gandalf and the Elves talk about what's to come, Frodo sees glimpses of it, but The Two Towers brings that danger to the forefront. Hopelessness and destruction and despair is ever-present, cities and villages fall, black-armored armies stretch for miles.

All of that masterfully culminates in the epic interweaving finale of Helm's Deep, Isengard, and Osgiliath. Three thrilling battles, each developing the central storylines in crucial ways. Helm's Deep alone is a masterclass of escalation, a harrowing siege drenched in atmospheric rain, seamlessly transitioning between set-pieces, constantly raising the stakes.

Return of the King
★★★★★
(Extended)

The conclusion of the trilogy both narrows the focus to the core characters, while also going bigger and more epic in every way. The other movies had their moments of horror-tinged scenes and imagery; Return of the King fully embraces the horror of its fantasy world with the grotesque Shelob and the trek across hellish Mordor. Two Towers escalated to Helm's Deep; Return features two gargantuan battles, dwarfing the aforementioned siege in terms of spectacle and scale. If The Two Towers revolved around crushing despair and the immensity of Sauron's might, then Return of the King is about hope and sacrifice in the face of doom.

And yet with all those epic battles and moments, Return of the King feels more intimate, more akin to Fellowship than Two Towers. Clear missions drive the two main stories: Frodo, Sam, and Gollum on the final stretch of their journey to Mount Doom; Gandalf and Pippin defending Minas Tirith while Aragon, Legolas, Gimli and their allies gather reinforcements. The movie may be four hours long but the plot never drags; with all the characters and major narrative elements established, everything here is pay-off and spectacle.

From grim prologue to bittersweet conclusion, Return of the King is an epic, thrilling, satisfying final act and quite possibly the gold standard for final chapters in trilogies.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Beautiful Boy.

The film significantly impacted me four times, albeit unexpectedly. I say this because this is the kind of movie you watch guarded.

To familiarize everyone, the eponymous Nicolas Sheff (Timothee Chalamet) is a 19-20 year old son of a divorced freelance writer, David Sheff (Steve Carell) who lives in the San Francisco Bay area (maybe Marin County) early in the 2000s. We watch helplessly as his family struggles to cope with with Nic's descent into crystal meth addiction. As a viewer you already know you're in for an emotionally draining experience.

Let's begin with the film's narrative framing. Our point of view is primarily that of David Sheff, occassionally switching yo the perspectives of Nic himself, his mother in Los Angeles (Amy Ryan), and, briefly, his stepmother (Maura Tierney).

David expresses that he shares a bond with his son that is as strong as one could ever aspire for. His son's addiction makes Nic basically a stranger to David. As David investigates, through internet searches, or interviewing doctors, an addict, and of course Nic himself, we visually witness his mind go to memories of his son when he was younger, or much younger, as if interrogating himself for answers that must have been right under his nose.

(Work in progress...)

1) heading towards happy ending
2) setup for reveal that
only 1-9% meth addicts recover
(gut punch)
3) real low point (
return to addiction
)
4) final title card (
true story!
Gut punch 2)

Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honneamise - A refreshingly dry take on the ramping up of a space program as it goes through its trials and tribulations from both the ground level testing to all the way up the administrative bargaining and haggling, wrapped up in an alternate Earth that is completely engrossing with how richly detailed it looks and feels, and tied off with an intriguing protagonist that struggles with his newfound celebrity and finds himself in the midst of an existential crisis? Well then, it 1) must something Gainax made, 2) clearly flopped at the box office and 3) was willing to lose the financial battle in order to win the war for continued relevance as a one-of-a-kind film where its qualities speak quite convincingly for themselves.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Manchester by the Sea was bad. No one talks about it now, and for a reason

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Mowgli (2018) - 6.5/10. Far better than I expected, if fundamentally messy and nowhere near as good as the Favreau movie.

If you can vibe with the darker tone and sometimes distractingly uncanny CGI, this is a well-acted, visually stunning film.

No idea what Warner Bros. were smoking when they green-lit it and actually thought it would be profitable though lmao

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I praised Manchester By The Sea on the first page of this very thread

Anyway I watched Moonlight (2016). I really wish the third chapter was longer because it was by far my favorite one but oh well. Mahershala Ali blew me away even though he was in it for like ten minutes and I'm kinda hyped for True Detective now 4.5/5
Also watched The Predator (1987) I never watched this before and I gotta be honest I wasn't that impressed. Freddy and Jason deserve each other but Alien is not in the same league as predator for me. 3/5
Also watched Vertigo (1958) These old movies always put me in a good mood and it was intriguing and all but the way it portrays women was UGH... Kinda hard to look past that. Also that ending is goofy as hell now. I liked Rear Window and Psycho much much better 3.5/5

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen Full Contact in a couple of years. I found my shitty ass bootleg yesterday (the transfer is so bad it seems there's like a fog through the whole picture) and this shit is so fucking pleasuring to watch. Not a single boring minute. Simon Yam and Anthony Wong chewing scenery, crazy ass set pieces, Chow just being a badass through the whole film. Lam's greatest film, certainly his most stylish. We really need to look back and reflect how cancerous was china decision to take control of hk cinema. They killed the action genre. Everything is a pathetic display of shitty copies of cinema made 3-4 decades ago.

FullContact-06-400-sg.gif

tumblr_nb1qkh5Mnq1qedb29o2_500.gif

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
I've been away for too long.

Top 5 New Viewings for November:
5. Certified Copy
4. The Long Day Closes
3. Before Midnight
2. Before Sunrise
1. Before Sunset

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The Night Comes For Us: I thought the plot was a bit too convoluted, and thus it was the incredible action and fight choreography that really carried this. I'm reminded of how much I like Iko Uwais, and wow did it have some badass women fighting. And I really liked it when one of them were shooting from behind the smoke and using a laser sight to target. It was really brutal from all the tools and equipment the characters used in close combat. I liked it, and want to watch it again. Indonesia really turns out some great action pieces. Was this filmed in Indonesia? ★★★☆☆

This has also made me wanna check out Buybust from my Philippines, which is unprecedently available on Netflix. I've seen the first ten minutes of it which was rather boring, and some 15 minutes some forty minutes into it which had an intense covert police infiltration. This scene was some of the most beautifully shot scenario I've yet to see come out of the Philippines. I'm not watching it since we're at midnight now, but me and the family will be sure to watch it through tomorrow night.

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester by the Sea is gonna be on my top 10 of the decade when it's all said and done. Talking about it just to talk about it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max: Fury Road [Rewatch]
★★★★★
A high-octane action symphony, relentlessly paced but never lacking in subtle characterization or colorful world-building or beautifully-choreographed mayhem. Few films mesh spectacle and story as deftly as Fury Road

Captain Phillips
★★★★½
A harrowing pressure-cooker of a thriller, half desperate cat-and-mouse tension, half claustrophic hostage situation. Greengrass' documentary-style approach keeps the suspense ever-present and the stakes relatably intense; neither the audience nor characters get a moment to catch their breath once events start unfolding. Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi's excellent antagonistic chemistry as titular protagonist and pirate captor imbue the tense thrills with a sense of humanity.

Her
★★★★½
A surprisingly touching drama that rides a fine line between character study and intimate romance. Except the love interest is an AI in a near-future Lost Angeles, so Her is also a compelling story of artificial intelligence's self-aware awakening; those two threads intertwine to deliver a low-key yet fascinatingly high-concept science-fiction narrative. The huge sci-fi moments are always in service of the drama, almost nonchalantly in the background but always impacting the emotional core of the narrative.

Particularly since I saw this after Blade Runner 2049, I can't help but compare the two. Whereas 2049's nihilistic cyberpunk dystopia presents its digital love as a desperate desire for humanity and as corporate pacification of the masses, Her is the mirror image: a refreshingly utopian outlook, a sincere naturalistic relationship where both man and AI learn and grow through their connection with the other, that captures the strangeness of what our future might hold.

Her is a touchingly human film, a small-scale drama with large-scale sci-fi questions and concepts, elevated by Joaquin Phoenix's melancholic performance and Scarlett's Johansson's excellent voice acting.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've been away for too long.

Top 5 New Viewings for November:
5. Certified Copy
4. The Long Day Closes
3. Before Midnight
2. Before Sunrise
1. Before Sunset

I envy you if this is your first time watching the Before series.

Sunrise is still my top. I saw a Hawke video talking about the three movies for an hour and it was highly informative. I was shocked how tightly scripted it was. I assumed they did a ton of improve on these and there's none. Also, interesting how exhausting and time consuming it is to do these movies.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The Long Dumb Road Great chemistry between the two leads really saves this movie from being another run of the mill road movie. Doesn't reinvent the road movie wheel but very watchable. Enjoyed my time with these two characters.

The Tragedy Girls was a blast of b-movie energy.

Sep 12, 2018
Put me in the "Manchester by the Sea ain't that great" camp and I LOVED Lonergan's previous movie.

However that poster should still feel bad because Paterson rules.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched MI: Fallout, first time since theaters. I think I cooled a bit on the movie. Not enough to change my initial rating, and overall it's still the best action blockbuster of the year, but the back half felt weaker than the first half of the film.

The first half is absolutely fantastic. Once the mission starts, it's up there with Fury Road and Night Comes for Us in terms of relentless momentum. All the set-pieces - the sky-dive, the bathroom fight, the meeting, the extended three-part Paris car chase - are all top-tier action cinema, and the movie just thunders along like a freight train

Afterwards, even though the stakes get raised and there are some insane live-action Uncharted moments, the action feels less exciting. I don't know. The tunnel shootout is confusingly shot, and not in a good way. The foot chase is kind of repetitive, and its humorous moments feel like they clash with the pressure of the pursuit. And the helicopter sequence is really hard to follow geography-wise unless Walker is shooting at Hunt or the two helis are onscreen together. Like half the shots are Cruise's aerial stunts, followed by Walker reacting, and there's little sense of where the two are in relation to eachother. (Hunt climbing onto the chopper is excellent though)

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
The Long Dumb Road Great chemistry between the two leads really saves this movie from being another run of the mill road movie. Doesn't reinvent the road movie wheel but very watchable. Enjoyed my time with these two characters.

The Tragedy Girls was a blast of b-movie energy.
Glad you liked it! I thought it was a pretty entertaining comedy.

After meeting Jason Matsoukas after the screening I can promise you this dude doesn't act in any of his roles. He legit plays himself. Scary dude.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you liked it! I thought it was a pretty entertaining comedy.

After meeting Jason Matsoukas after the screening I can promise you this dude doesn't act in any of his roles. He legit plays himself. Scary dude.

Really? How do you live with that much energy. Jesus.

I wish the movie ended with a montage of all the pics he took. I think that would've wrapped up the movie much more nicely.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Mortal Engines (2018) - 4.5/10. Surely the most visually-stunning bad movie of 2018.

It's truly impressive what Jackson and co. achieved on a $100 million budget here, and Junkie XL's score sings, but on a character, plot and dialogue level, Mortal Engines is a soul-draining dud.

Overloaded with exposition, taking itself far too seriously and dining out on various plot checklist elements from all your favourite franchises, this is exactly what most sensible people expected.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Really? How do you live with that much energy. Jesus.

I wish the movie ended with a montage of all the pics he took. I think that would've wrapped up the movie much more nicely.
lol that is what I am saying. He also started roasting the crowd and throwing t shirts too.

I agree with you about the ending.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
More badass noting that LOTR is almost 20 years old threw me for a loop. Shit man I'm getting old.
Put me in the "Manchester by the Sea ain't that great" camp and I LOVED Lonergan's previous movie.

However that poster should still feel bad because Paterson rules.
Paterson is so so good. But also it's hard to disagree with calling it "boring" because by design it takes the shape and flow of day-to-day life. I just think "boring" is an empty adjective to use for movies, it doesn't really mean anything

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
You know what really grinds my gears? is when someone calls a movie they dislike trash. People have become so lazy with how they describe their thoughts after a viewing.