• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know what I have quite a few friends who watch this but I don't understand the appeal? Is this supposed to be like Hell's Kitchen or more like cupcake wars?

It's not fast and furious US editing hype like Hells Kitchen or what's on Food Network. It's relaxing. You go to the people's homes and learn more about them and the challenges are just way more interesting.

I watch a lot of cooking shows, but there's something calming about it that isn't overstimulation, plus they're short seasons.

I have still not seen Vandal. I have it on my list with 20 other things but I'll be on a plane tomorrow for hours so maybe then is a good time. My series streaming backlog is way longer than my movie backlog at this point.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
It's not fast and furious US editing hype like Hells Kitchen or what's on Food Network. It's relaxing. You go to the people's homes and learn more about them and the challenges are just way more interesting.

I watch a lot of cooking shows, but there's something calming about it that isn't overstimulation, plus they're short seasons.

I have still not seen Vandal. I have it on my list with 20 other things but I'll be on a plane tomorrow for hours so maybe then is a good time. My series streaming backlog is way longer than my movie backlog at this point.
added it to my que, and I feel you, man. Too many shows with so little time.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh Roma is playing in 70mm near me...January 9th. Worth waiting for I hope.

Yeah, easily. It's Fincher getting back in Zodiac mode so idk why you're shocked. Miss me with American Vandal / Bojack / Stranger Things or whatever.

Reported
I need to watch Vandal but yeah, Stranger Things is whatever and Bojack has fallen off. I'm finding s5 to be such a goddamn slog, it's like they forgot the comic part of tragicomic. There are literally no jokes in some eps.

Otherwise there are plenty of good comedies—Love, Easy, One Day at a Time, Wet Hot American Summer, Kinmy Schmidt. And I like The OA a lot. But Mindhunter is the one that felt truly memorable.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been into the animated series on Netflix. Castlevania, She-Ra and especially Voltron (final season out today) have been fantastic.

Agreed with Bojack. It was solid but damn there's only so much darkness I want to have in it.

Oct 26, 2017
Crossposting from the review thread.

Bumblebee

Just saw it. On a total different level than the Bay movies. You can clearly see this was made with heart and love for the franchise. I really liked the emotional scenes, the bonding between Charlie and Bee. Bee himself is awesome and his expressions really are great, cute even. It's been a while since I saw the Bay movies but Bee is definitely done better here. No humping dogs here, no incredibly annoying mom who's stoned, here the humor is actually cool and it suits the movie. Sure not every single joke lands but that's fine.

The main characters are interesting and especially Charlie. She's a character worth giving a damn about, unlike pretty much anyone really in Bay's movies. She plays the part really well and I hope to see her in more movies for sure. Story is what you'd expect, nothing too special but I enjoyed it though. Even if one or two scenes were very farfetched, but in a Transformers movie you don't really need that anyway. With the cast alone you can see what this director's priorities were and of course staying true to the franchise with the designs.

I hope this becomes a big success and I hope future Transformers movies will be on this level. Whatever the case, just bring me a sequel to this please.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I've been into the animated series on Netflix. Castlevania, She-Ra and especially Voltron (final season out today) have been fantastic.

Agreed with Bojack. It was solid but damn there's only so much darkness I want to have in it.
final season of Voltron was today!? oh snap we eating good.

I just finished She-Ra earlier today and loved it, but I am going to give Castlevania a go right now actually.

I am working on the best animation article so I am binging a lot of cartoons.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the hype on Mindhunter and tried the first episode. It was just a regular ass TV show. Like some shit my wife would watch.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh Roma is playing in 70mm near me...January 9th. Worth waiting for I hope.

I need to watch Vandal but yeah, Stranger Things is whatever and Bojack has fallen off. I'm finding s5 to be such a goddamn slog, it's like they forgot the comic part of tragicomic. There are literally no jokes in some eps.

Otherwise there are plenty of good comedies—Love, Easy, One Day at a Time, Wet Hot American Summer, Kinmy Schmidt. And I like The OA a lot. But Mindhunter is the one that felt truly memorable.

Season 5 of bojack was fantastic.

Watched Burning last night.
Liked some parts, hated some parts. Main character was completely off putting. Some of the shots I thought were awful and music selections were just bad at times. Steven yeun was great though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it and totally understand why some didn't. It's presented as a pretty straightforward show but there's something super weird about it that I can't explain. Something felt off and I enjoyed that. Also Zodiac is the best

For me, there was something really odd and off-kilter about Holden specifically, which paid off in the finale really nicely.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am working on the best animation article so I am binging a lot of cartoons.

I feel Voltron is super under the radar. It has some of the best action sequences put to animation but I think it gets lost in the hype of other series (or Netflix just doesn't promote it enough). Though I will say Season 3 kind of was all over the place because it felt like a soft reboot in a way, some people I know that watched kind of dropped out after that. Didn't like Lotor or whatnot early on.

Downloading the season plus Roma for my flight. I've got six straight hours to burn.

Oct 26, 2017
Since we're talking about shows now, is Netflix ever going to remove the autoplay feature of every goddamn single show or movie I merely stand on? Jesus christ, I can barely read what the fucking thing is about and it already starts playing. Just let the trailer be optional or give us a toggle for it. Goddamn.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Mortal Engines last night at a screening and maaaannnn I'm glad I didn't pay for that lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're talking about shows now, is Netflix ever going to remove the autoplay feature of every goddamn single show or movie I merely stand on? Jesus christ, I can barely read what the fucking thing is about and it already starts playing. Just let the trailer be optional or give us a toggle for it. Goddamn.

That drives me fucking crazy! I wish you could turn that off. It's a chore browsing because I have to browse quickly before the damn thing plays.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd prolly put it like Mindhunter > Maniac > Voltron > Last Chance U > American Vandal > Sabrina

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah wasnt a fan of the finale but it was pretty good up until that point. Liked Scott McNairy a lot in there

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Shirkers

Such a fascinating doc! Unraveling a mystery of a lost film and a great doc on the process of making a film. A deeply personal journey, but you if love movies you have to see this.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Oo lawd just finished castlevania season 2. Now that is top tier stuff. Almost done with Voltron.

Gotta decide if I want to watch maniac or Sabrina before I gotta vote on the best tv

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Night Eats the World
★★★★
Reminiscent of The Battery, due to its stripped-back character-driven approach to the genre. Besides a focus on the psychological stress of surviving isolated and alone, what really made Night Eats The World stand out was the nature of its protagonist. It's rare in this genre, and horror movies in general, to see a protagonist that behaves so rationally, adapting to his situation through smart choices and logical actions. Don't watch this for gore or zombie action (although the movie does have its moments); watch this for the intimate premise, the refreshingly realistic portrayal of survival in the zombie apocalypse, and a movie that (mostly) doesn't devolve into traditional genre conventions.

Custody
★★★★½
A tense and disturbing domestic drama with the slow-burn intensity of a thriller. Every scene between Antoine, Miriam, and Julien feels like mother and son gingerly handling a live grenade. I was trying to remember where I had seen Denis Ménochet before, and his terrifying portrayal as an abusive brute of a husband was so effective that I didn't even recognize him as the father in Inglorious Basterds. The scenes between Julien and his father, as Antoine psychologically menaces his son to get to his wife, are some of the most tense I've seen all year, made all the more impactful by Thomas Gioria's powerful performance.

Custody isn't without issues - a subplot involving the family's daughter feels oddly pushed to the side - but as a work of stressful domestic horror, it's excellent

The Truman Show
★★★★½
Before The Matrix and the same year as Dark City, came another movie that explored the existential burden of a simulated reality. That the satirical speculative comedy might be creepier and more uneasy than those other two is a testament to how well The Truman Show balances humor and drama. Even the silliest moments have an undercurrent of paranoia and dehumanizing control, artifical normalcy and faux compassion, which in turn imbues Truman's struggle and self-discovery with real dramatic weight.

Memento (Rewatch)
★★★★★
Nolan's psychological crime thriller is such an ingenious exercise in editing that it's hard to imagine such a clever mix of avant-garde structure and genre film ever happening again. Removed from the backwards storytelling, Memento is still a dark revenge tale, a grim neo-noir with an incredibly engrossing protagonist at its center. A walking puzzle box, a man literally defined and driven by the words tattooed on his body, Guy Pierce's determined yet constantly off-kilter lead is simultaneously fascinating, tragic, and scary.

But with its reversed narrative, Memento transcends the hard-boiled plot to become a deliberately disorienting puzzle that places the audience in Leonard's amnesiac shoes, every new scene a twist that shifts our perspective of the characters and story. The film-making challenge of nailing the balance between narrative coherence, finely-tuned pacing, and near-constant subversion is mind-boggling, and yet Memento pulls it off flawlessly.

Pulp Fiction (Rewatch)
★★★★★
"Come on, let's get into character."

I don't think any line sums up Pulp Fiction's timeless identity better. It's a film that explores the mundane reality behind the namesake, a pedestrian normalcy far removed from the sleek gloss or dark grit of other crime movies. The tough guys and criminals on those dime-store covers are merely a facade while Pulp Fiction explores the everyday lives of such characters beyond the traditional genre roles. The hitmen with a code, engaging in causal small-talk or discussing half-heard underworld gossip before getting down to business. The prize fighter, where we never see the fight, only the flight afterwards. The career robbers, having breakfast.

Even today, in the wake of myriad imitators, Pulp Fiction feels unique. Effortlessly stylish, endlessly quotable, a perfect balance of crime drama and pitch-black humor and genre subversion.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Babylon Berlin's the best Netflix show.

Well maybe a bit too pulpy but it's the most entertaining and extravagant.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Yesterday evening Shudder was doing a livewatch event with the cast and creators for their exclusive movie All The Creatures Were Stirring.

The movie itself was... alright. As with most horror anthologies, it was hit and miss. There was only one segment that really stands out for me (the one where the guy lock himself out of his car).

Regardless of the movie, can I say that I absolutely LOVE the direction Shudder is taking with their live viewing events? They are always an absolute blast. I cannot recommend them enough. The next one they're doing I believe is an edition of The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs around Christmas. I really look forward to it. The last live movie marathon they did in the context of a Last Drive-In was for Thanksgiving and it was so much fun!

Last edited:

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Decided to watch Gotti for no particular reason. I wouldn't say it's the worst film of the year, but goddamn, it's just so uninspired and boring. It just ended and the only thing I can recall is Travolta's wonky accent.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to watch Gotti for no particular reason. I wouldn't say it's the worst film of the year, but goddamn, it's just so uninspired and boring. It just ended and the only thing I can recall is Travolta's wonky accent.

Should have watched the hbo version that probably gave them the idea to greenlight the sopranos.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Favourite
This movie was fantastic. Can't decide if I liked this more than The Lobster but it's probably close. Will see it again because there were three instances where someone's phone rang during the movie. FUCKING THREE TIMES. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? And the theater was filled with middle-aged/old farts. HAVE SOME FUCKING COMMON SENSE GODDAMMIT.

Probably my favorite line:

Abagail: Are you trying to seduce me or rape me?
Major: I am a gentleman.
Abagail: So rape then.

Regarding the ending, maybe it's just me but I honestly believe that sound at the end with the long shots of Anne and Abagail's faces is Anne peeing on Abagail's hands as she's rubbing Anne's legs

Mary: Queen of Scots
Missed the first 5-10 mins since the movie started right when The Favourite ended, so I'll go see this again too. Thankfully no distractions during this showing. Ronan is great, as is Robbie even though there's not a lot of her. This is absolutely Mary's movie. This is ultimately one ugly movie. Just another reminder monarchs and religious sects were ruthless as hell centuries ago.

Seeing David getting stabbed repeatedly....fucked up

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Just got through watching Mother!
81AgzdPnSZL._RI_SX300_.jpg

First half of the film I was really enjoying. I was thinking this isn't so bad why is it so controversial.

Second half of the movie everything went to shit.
what the actual fuck was that.
giphy.webp