• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Welcome
Hello and welcome to the monthly Movies You've Seen Recently thread. The place to hang out with fellow movie lovers!

Resetera Movies of the Year 2018
Let your voice be heard and vote for your favorite movies of 2018. Find the thread here! Voting ends February 21.

Thread rules
1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense
2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are
3. Use spoiler tags accordingly
4. Have fun, we're all here because we love movies

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

Want to introduce yourself?
New to the Movies You've Seen Recently community? Let us know a bit about yourself:
1. What's your favorite Movie?
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film?
- Post your top 5 new viewings from the previous month!

Useful external links:
Letterboxd
ICheckMovies
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

List of Movies you've seen recently members on letterboxd said:

If you want to be added to the list above, shoot me a PM and you'll be added.

Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don't bite!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Divius

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've logged 24 entries for films during January 2019.

TOP 5 NEW VIEWINGS OF JANUARY
5. Widows
4. Lean on Pete
3. Mind the Gap
2. Burning
1. Suspiria

MOST VALUABLE REWATCHES OF JANUARY
Annihilation

WORST NEW VIEWING OF JANUARY
Sicario 2, Bohemian Rhapsody, Anna and the Apocalypse were all pretty bland.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see much in January. 5 new watches and 3 rewatches.

5 Best New Watches of January
1. A Prayer Before Dawn
2. The Rider
3. Support The Girls
4. Taylor Swift: Reputation Stadium Tour
5. Game Night

3 Best Rewatches of January
1. Black Panther
2. Ant-Man and the Wasp
3. Hereditary

Probably won't get to see much this month either. I have some things to deal with.
I might go to the cinema for Alita: Battle Angel and If Beale Street Could Talk. Maybe Lego Movie 2. Might check out Netflix flicks like Polar and Velvet Buzzsaw, not sure.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)

A pretty, overlong, listless epic.

One would think that the creators of a movie of such length, crafted with an apparent passion, would at least make an attempt to examine the controversial figure of Christopher Columbus - but they fail to even bother. It's not even suitable background distraction to leave playing adjacent on your tablet while you work.

Reign of the Supermen (2019)

Good for what it is - an animated feature film that strives to appeal to everyone from children to young adults and beyond. Storywise it's a vast improvement over the debacle of the 90's comics, streamlining and improving the narrative of every "Superman".

Top three from Jan:

Bird Box
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Ocean's Eight

Horror movie, horror movie, stylish comedic heist movie. Hah.

Last edited:
Top Five New Watches for February (no particular order):
-Support the Girls
-If Beale Street Could Talk
-First Man
-A Silent Voice
-Suspiria (2018)

Most Valuable Rewatch: Isle of Dogs, for solidifying my issues with its writing while still providing a good argument for its numerous and various qualities

The "Fuck This Thing in Particular" Award for Extreme Demerit: Tales from the Hood 2, for being just barely watchable on the "completely incompetent" side of the spectrum

It is so nice to be back in the habit of at least one film a day!

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did watch a few films since I was banned

Pulp Fiction - Pulp Fiction is a great movie. You don't need a review to tell you that; its been a well-known fact since 1994. It's been indescribably influential on a whole damn host of films, revitalized several careers, set in motion Tarantino's brand of talky violent pulpy cinema, and forever adored by every film bro that walks the Earth.

Watching the film again with the benefit of hindsight, I tried to think about why this particular movie is so good, and so much better than its many imitators, all the way up to last year's Bad Times at the El Royale. Yes, it has a handful of charismatic memorable performances that radiate bonafide movie star appeal. Yes, its anthology format that doubles back on itself chronologically is very clever and pays off in lots of unexpected ways. Yes, it has more quotable lines in one scene than many movies' entire runtimes. But I still find that's all surface elements, things people can easily grasp and try to imitate.

The closest I can understand is that Pulp Fiction is cool without being too proud of it(with the exception of The Wolf, a self-conscious Harvey Keitel idolization that combined with QT's unfortunate acting and the worst monologue in the film, has aged the worst). The film has a '50s Golden Age of Hollywood bar and pop songs and katana worship, but only because those were very special to Tarantino. There's a honesty imbued in this movie, like QT was simply doing things he thought were cool, the hell with anybody else's expectations. Its a stylish, risky work grounded in a love for Los Angeles and those cheap Raymond Chandler novels it was inspired by. Its hard to reverse engineer that, and its nothing short of miraculous that it caught on so fast, and for so long.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite New Watches of January 2019
1) Motorway
2) Under The Tree
3) War of the Arrows
4) Unsane
5) Road To Perdition

Favorite Rewatches:
1) The Blackcoat's Daughter
2) Unbreakable
3) 28 Days Later
4) The Proposition
5) Jaws

Worst Watch: Glass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I did watch a few films since I was banned

Pulp Fiction - Pulp Fiction is a great movie. You don't need a review to tell you that; its been a well-known fact since 1994. It's been indescribably influential on a whole damn host of films, revitalized several careers, set in motion Tarantino's brand of talky violent pulpy cinema, and forever adored by every film bro that walks the Earth.

Watching the film again with the benefit of hindsight, I tried to think about why this particular movie is so good, and so much better than its many imitators, all the way up to last year's Bad Times at the El Royale. Yes, it has a handful of charismatic memorable performances that radiate bonafide movie star appeal. Yes, its anthology format that doubles back on itself chronologically is very clever and pays off in lots of unexpected ways. Yes, it has more quotable lines in one scene than many movies' entire runtimes. But I still find that's all surface elements, things people can easily grasp and try to imitate.

The closest I can understand is that Pulp Fiction is cool without being too proud of it(with the exception of The Wolf, a self-conscious Harvey Keitel idolization that combined with QT's unfortunate acting and the worst monologue in the film, has aged the worst). The film has a '50s Golden Age of Hollywood bar and pop songs and katana worship, but only because those were very special to Tarantino. There's a honesty imbued in this movie, like QT was simply doing things he thought were cool, the hell with anybody else's expectations. Its a stylish, risky work grounded in a love for Los Angeles and those cheap Raymond Chandler novels it was inspired by. Its hard to reverse engineer that, and its nothing short of miraculous that it caught on so fast, and for so long.
I think what separates Pulp Fiction from its imitators is its mundanity. It's stylish, cool, confident, endlessly quotable, but it's also mundane and kind of unassumingly small scale and slice-of-life. The focus is on the people rather than the criminal acts and violence.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what separates Pulp Fiction from its imitators is its mundanity. It's stylish, cool, confident, endlessly quotable, but it's also mundane and kind of unassumingly small scale and slice-of-life. The focus is on the people rather than the criminal acts and violence.
I think thats a key point, as well. Pulp Fiction spends a lot of time seeming like its not going anywhere, so when shit pops off its really shocking/thrilling. There's no lighting, editing, or music choices that tell us of the upcoming fuckery. One minute Butch is driving down the street after a largely uneventful infiltration of his apartment(RIP Vincent), the next he's running down an alley, bloody as hell, avoiding gunshots.

Good movies teach you how to watch them, and Pulp Fiction's opening prologue does that. Eli Roth in his girl spend like 7 mins talking about absolutely fuck-all, it has nothing to do with the "plot", these aren't the "stars" of the movie, but you sit back and take in the conversation anyway, knowing nothing is probably gonna happen here. And that's when they decide to stand up, guns raised, and any of you mothafuckas move, I'll execute every last one of you!

I think thats a key point, as well. Pulp Fiction spends a lot of time seeming like its not going anywhere, so when shit pops off its really shocking/thrilling. There's no lighting, editing, or music choices that tell us of the upcoming fuckery. One minute Butch is driving down the street after a largely uneventful infiltration of his apartment(RIP Vincent), the next he's running down an alley, bloody as hell, avoiding gunshots.

Good movies teach you how to watch them, and Pulp Fiction's opening prologue does that. Eli Roth in his girl spend like 7 mins talking about absolutely fuck-all, it has nothing to do with the "plot", these aren't the "stars" of the movie, but you sit back and take in the conversation anyway, knowing nothing is probably gonna happen here. And that's when they decide to stand up, guns raised, and any of you mothafuckas move, I'll execute every last one of you!
I think you mean Tim Roth there, as the presence of Eli Roth in any capacity is automatic disqualification for excellence!

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Best new watches of Jan.
1) Roma
2) Private Life
3) Eyes of Laura Mars
4) The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5) American Animals

Worst watch: Vice

still in the midst of 2018 catchup. also I'm sticking by my rating above now but the top two could swap--I loved the last act of Roma in the theaters, but it's sorta fading from memory while Private Life is really sitting wonderfully.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't watch a whole lot last month, so only have a top 4 new watches this time around, but they were good stuff:
1. Elevator to the Gallows
2. Cold War
3. Roma
4. Torn Curtain

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
60 watches in January. god bless winter break.

shSTaTz.png

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
tumblr_nks4zibxEy1qg4blro2_500.gif

Think I have yah beat for January watches. Sundance lived up to the hype in every way possible. I working on my list and reviews and will be back to update yah on Monday.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
War of the Arrows
★★★★
The impressions on Letterboxd likening this to Apocalypto weren't kidding. Combine the first and third acts of Apocalypto - everyday life, violent pillage, then the breathless chase - and place it in Joseon-era Korea, with a focus on guerrilla warfare and archery battles. That's "War of the Arrows".

It lacks the raw emotional satisfaction of Apocalypto, the distinctive villains, the grand scale, or sense of desperation. But War of the Arrows makes up for that through pure action-adventure momentum. The movie makes the most out of its wilderness setting and budget, wringing surprising variety from a limited focus. Cat-and-mouse pursuits, bow-and-arrow standoffs, intense running archery battles, stealthy guerrilla maneuvers, long-range "sniper" duels. The special draw technique that curves an arrow's trajectory a la Wanted, special arrowheads that can piece multiple bodies and trees, makeshift bows made on the fly. Honestly, War of the Arrows puts any Robin Hood movie from the last two decades to shame in how it makes archery cool, intense, thrilling, and varied.

28 Days Later (Rewatch)
★★★★★
Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, and Shaun of the Dead all released within two years, and just like that, the zombie genre was revitalized. But of all the 2000s zombie movies, 28 Days Later is my favorite by far. There's a haunting sense of realism to the film that a lot of its contemporaries lack. So many zombie movies tend to revolve around small towns or singular locations that even today, the sweeping shots of a completely dead and empty London remain uniquely unnerving. The characters feel human, in their desperation, their quiet moments, their questionable decisions. Even the infected are horrific in ways that typical zombies aren't, and it's not just their speed. It's the blood-red eyes, the painful vomiting, the sickly raspy breathing, the fact that they're very much alive rather than mindless undead.

Instead of over-the-top gore or large hordes, 28 Days Later focuses on suspense and character-driven violence. Whether it's a flat tire at the worst possible time or a frantic sprint through the streets, Boyle's direction makes each sequence tense and atmospheric. Quite telling that the finale isn't defined by escalation but by terrified panic and gloomy chaos.

It's the little details that make 28 Days Later stand out. A swarm of rats fleeing the infected. A mournful suicide note. A massive explosion seeming insignificant against the backdrop of an entire city.

Never considered it before but in hindsight, 28 Days Later is essentially the 21st century's Night of the Living Dead, with a similar legacy, influence on the genre, tone and themes, etc.

28 Weeks Later (Rewatch)
★★★½
28 Weeks Later is essentially 28 Days Later's Terminator 2/Aliens. The first movie was restrained, suspenseful, and focused on character; gore-drenched set-pieces abound in the sequel. A gas station explodes in the original, while London is scorched in the sequel. Dealing with one infected was a struggle; here, a helicopter slices through a field of infected. On one hand, it makes sense not to tread familiar ground. On the other, the shift from suspenseful humanistic horror to action-packed horror spectacle is far from seamless. The relatable drama is gone. The characters are much less defined and barely developed. But most notably, the plot suffers from frustrating decisions and jarring contrivances. By the time everything goes to hell, 28 Weeks Later becomes a string of excellent set-pieces held together by flimsy narrative threads.

It doesn't help that the opening sequence was directed by Boyle and thus the differences in approach are so apparent. That opening feels like a natural evolution of 28 Days Later's strengths, but done on a larger scale. The humanistic character-driven focus, the panic and desperation and relatable but flawed decisions, the suspenseful escalation. It's succinct, efficient, intense.

Batman Begins (Rewatch)
★★★★½
There have been a lot of origin stories told since 2005. But few - if any - have been as effective, as confident, or as influential as Batman Begins. I'd argue that Iron Man's, Captain America's, and Caesar's were all equally well-executed in their own ways, but Nolan's revival of the Dark Knight remains my favorite.

Batman Begins doesn't feature its fully-fledged hero onscreen until an hour into its runtime. We've seen Batman on film and TV before, but Begins is more concerned with exploring the nature of Bruce Wayne, what drives him and why he dedicated himself to his crusade. That journey from traumatized boy to ninja vigilante is never boring, always compelling, expertly paced, using flashbacks to mesh action with characterization. By focusing on the man rather than the hero, Batman Begins makes the unbelievable feel grounded in relatable aspects like legacy, loss, anger and vengeance.

What's notable about Batman Begins today is that while it's gritty, it never shuns away from the comic book silliness of its premise. There's an ancient ninja terrorist cult. Bats are literally summoned as a distraction. The movie is laced with subdued humor and callbacks (ie "nice coat", the Tumbler backing into a Compact spot). It's all played completely straight and somehow it works, thanks to the interweave of a corrupt Gotham's crime-thriller atmosphere with the more comic-book elements like Batman, the League of Shadows, and Scarecrow.

The action is the only real weak point of the film, mainly the fights being choppily edited. It works in the dock scene to capture the terror of the criminals, but every fight is portrayed the same way. However, beyond the hand-to-hand stuff, Batman Begins is still exciting. The Tumbler chase remains a highlight, and framing confrontations through a horror lens - Batman as stealthy predator picking off terrified criminals one-by-one - is both a brilliant choice and smart narrative pay-off for Bruce's training.

Much like The Matrix's final scene, Batman Begin's ending works as a definite thematic conclusion that also lets you envision the many adventures and stories that could unfold next. That kind of confident direction and sharp writing defines the movie. Those moments when the costume looks silly or the editing is poor can't detract from Batman Begins' many strengths.

The Dark Knight (Rewatch)
★★★★★
What's interesting about watching The Dark Knight after Batman Begins is how apparent the differences in atmosphere become. The Dark Knight prunes the comic-book elements down to just Batman and Joker; remove the caped crusader and the film essentially is a crime action-thriller about a psycho terrorizing a city. But by concentrating on the contrast between the very human Bruce and his force-of-nature nemesis, the superhero trappings are brought into sharp relief. Their larger-than-life conflict seems like a corrupting influence upon the familiar criminal elements. The Dark Knight perfectly executes the promise of Batman Begins' final scene.

The other thing that stands out is how improved the action scenes and set-pieces are. The clockwork precision of the opening heist is a propulsive start to the many fights, pursuits, and suspense sequences throughout the film. Every sequence is distinct and masterfully paced, often cross-cutting between multiple plot threads while building towards a crescendo. Longer shots and less frenetic cuts fix one of Batman Begins' notable issues, while the focus on practical effects means the action feels weightier and more grounded than its predecessor.

Ledger's performance is always mesmerizing. Everyone else is great, but his presence as The Joker utterly looms over the film. It's the facial tics and body language, the gleeful menace, the sly sarcasm. The sense of mystery, the monologues, those hints of psychotic rage and of the real person behind the Joker's facade. No name, no history, nothing in his pockets but knives and lint, a manifestation of chaos and mayhem that just exists.

Last edited:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Watched 37 new movies in January. Favorites were:

01. The French Connection (1971)
02. The Conversation (1974)
03. Thief (1981)
04. Tenebre (1982)
05. All the President's Men (1976)

Favorite rewatch: Shogun Assassin (1980)

Worst: Suspiria (2018)

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Not exactly a movie but I finally watched Hannah Gadsby's Nanette and it was amazing.
Really an emotional rollercoaster.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just watched A Dark Song (2016). That movie is a crazy trip. I've never seen ritual magic, especially enochian, done so well in cinematic fiction. It was impressive.

I also just binge watched the show "the sinner" and I'm not actually sure parts of it make sense but God DAMN did it not keep me enthralled the whole time. Those first 5-10 minutes really set the hook deep.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Amélie (rewatch)

This movie was mesmerizing and, while perhaps not something to be proud of admitting, resonated with me a lot on my first watch. Rewatching changed that a fair amount, though not necessarily in just a good or bad way. I remember enjoying the first half a lot more than the second on my initial view since the pacing slows down once it becomes focused on the romance angle, but rewatching the movie adjusted how this is vitally characteristic of Amélie as she avoids "fixing herself" and has to undergo her own arc as a character.

However, that's where the not so good reevaluation comes in. The messaging is that Amélie is cripplingly introverted and is hurting herself by maintaining solitutude, which she says is her only real wish. Her falling in love as a 'solution' to this would feel a lot messier if the terms werent so absolutely molded by her own idiosyncracies and personality, and even then there are some gray areas. Just as well, this makes me think how the movie would come off if Amélie was a man chasing after a woman, and how her neurotic (and frankly crazy) behavior wouldnt come off so whimsical and playful.

Still, its direction and design is immaculate, and it's a fun watch all the way through.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the middling reception to the baffling Miss Bala remake encourages some people to check out the fantastic original

Released

Oct 27, 2017
29 for me in January.

Favorite New Watches:
1. If Beale Street Could Talk
2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
3. The Favourite
4. Blindspotting
5. The Rider

I didn't rewatch much as I wanted to catch up on any 2018 films I missed out on. I did rewatch Fargo and The Big Lebowski though, and they're still fucking great.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
60 watches in January. god bless winter break.

shSTaTz.png

Criticker? Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Widows was pretty good but my main takeaway was that Elizabeth Debicki is not the same species as us.

I wish my Gaspar Noe buddy was still around, but... you know. Climax was also pretty good but the inevitable freak out scene failed to transcend. The dancing was the best part and I got super excited when the girl started pissing on the floor but it never really went anywhere that wasn't obvious.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider Man Into The Spiderverse- Great movie. The colors and soundtrack were amazing. I took my nephew to the theater (his first theater experience) and we both had a blast. Glad that his first Spiderman was Miles Morales and Gwen Stacey

Dragon Ball Super Broly- Me and my cousin saw this in theaters and had a good time. We had some sushi and poke bowls before we saw it too. Great day.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Top 5 watches of Januray
1. Colombus (2017) - This movie is a goddamn masterpiece. Watch it if you like good things
2. Mud (2012) - Great coming of age movie with a great role from McConaughey
3. First Man (2018) - Very cool movie. I can see why some people don't like it though. Amazing sound design
4. Take Shelter (2011) - A movie that leaves you exhausted and breathless. I love feeling like shit
5. The Square (2017) - I enjoy watching rich people do rich people stuff, and I also enjoy when bad things happen to them also that monkey man scene phew

Re-watches: I never log these So I don't remember anything beside The Social Network which was still a great time and Se7en which wasn't as good as I remembered.
I'm gonna go watch Burning (2018) now. Hope it delivers

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 new watches in Jan:
5. Shoplifters
4. Hell or High Water
3. If Beale Street Could Talk
2. Stan & Ollie
1. Burning

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Watched:

• IO - didn't like it. Seemed unoriginal and poorly directed.
  • Close - Started off good but got really silly and unbelievable.
  • The Titan - Semi decent idea that went absolutely nowhere but down.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Seeing the direction that the remake has taken with the story is disappointing, to say the least.
The original Miss Bala is practically a horror movie. It's bleak and uncompromising. Changing the story into an action movie where she turns the tables on the cartel is so weird.

On the flip side of American remakes, turns out Cold Pursuit is made by the same director of In Order Of Disappearance, so now I really want to see it

The original Miss Bala is practically a horror movie. It's bleak and uncompromising. Changing the story into an action movie where she turns the tables on the cartel is so weird.

On the flip side of American remakes, turns out Cold Pursuit is made by the same director of In Order Of Disappearance, so now I really want to see it
Yeah, the reviews have been very solid for Cold Pursuit, and the very first thought I had after finishing In Order of Disappearance was that it would make for a very fun Liam Neeson vehicle. Nice to see a director agreeing with me for a change!

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just got out seeing The Favourite. That was....quite something lol Rachel Weisz looked like 2B at the end from nier 😂

Overall, solid dark comedy and I enjoyed the ending.

Last edited:
Let the Corpses Tan: Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani make a western/crime thriller, and it turned out liked I hoped it would: filled to the brim with incredible visuals, scored to some memorable archival tracks that get used in creative ways and moving at a sprinter's pace as it bounces along from one stunning sequence to the next. What I didn't expect was for there to be a meaty-enough plot to go with the duo's showcase of stylistic excesses, filled with plenty of intrigue, tension, double-crosses and everything else a story like this needed to help make its case as a real showstopper. The end result is their strongest feature film since Amer, and though that may not sound like much with how much I didn't care for The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, this swung way the hell back to the quality of their debut feature and left me wanting more from the two in terms of moving into other genres if these are the kind of results they can get when out of their wheelhouse.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Jupiter Ascending (2015) - Not as bad as I was expecting. I wish I had a device that made everyone around me speak like Freddy Redmayne did in this movie.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Happy Death Day is the most fun I can have without watching Groundhog Day. Have done both this week anyway. Pumped for the sequel.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't care for Holy Grail either. Solidarity.

ah I see you are a man of culture as well.

I suppose The Rules of the Game is just gonna be me then? I dunno maybe I'm going in with the wrong expectations but Renoir films always cast such a wide net of characters and then fail to properly develop any of them. I'm cool with films that eschew character stuff completely but I can never find anything to latch onto in Renoir pictures.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wish my Gaspar Noe buddy was still around, but... you know. Climax was also pretty good but the inevitable freak out scene failed to transcend. The dancing was the best part and I got super excited when the girl started pissing on the floor but it never really went anywhere that wasn't obvious.

How gross and fucked up does Climax get? I'm interested in the visuals and music but a bit hesitant to see it next month.

It's okay for you to spoil it for me lol

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
Logged 45 movies for January. Top 5 new watches:

1. The Favourite (2018)
2. Sad Hill Unearthed (2017)
3. Where Eagles Dare (1968)
4. Happy-Go-Lucky (2008)
5. Green Book (2018)

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That new Dragon Tattoo movie is dogshit. Claire Foy is surprisingly strong in it, and probably the most natural actress in that look and character idiosyncrasies. I might be slightly biased 'cause her Lisbeth looked like the spitting image of a girl I dated (no blue eyes though) but I was pleasantly surprised by her.