• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Welcome
Hello and welcome to the monthly Movies You've Seen Recently thread. The place to hang out with fellow movie lovers!

Thread rules
1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense
2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are
3. Use spoiler tags accordingly
4. Have fun, we're all here because we love movies

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

Want to introduce yourself?
New to the Movies You've Seen Recently community? Let us know a bit about yourself:
1. What's your favorite Movie?
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film?

- Post your top 5 new viewings from the previous month!

Useful external links:
Letterboxd
ICheckMovies
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

Also check out the official Film Era discord!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
List of Movies you've seen recently members on letterboxd said:

If you want to be added to the list above, shoot me a PM and you'll be added.

Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don't bite!

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
In February I watched 40 films (my god)

Top 5 new watches:
1. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
2. The Handmaiden (2016)
3. Vertigo (1958)
4. Don't Look Now (1973)
5. Audition (1999)

Top 5 rewatches:
1. Silence (2016)
2. Uncut Gems (twice!) (2019)
3. Videodrome (1983)
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
5. Abel (1986)

Worst film I watched:
Suicide Squad (2016)

I also randomly decided to rewatch all of Harry Potter (not the prequels), so here are my ratings of those films:

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (4.5/5)
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (4/5)
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (3.5/5)
4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (3/5)
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (3/5)
6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2.5/5)
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2/5)
8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2/5)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Top 5 new watches:
1. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Divius

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've logged 12 entries for films during February 2020

TOP 5 NEW VIEWINGS OF FEBRUARY

5. Beanpole
4. Wings
3. Dolemite is my Name
2. Starlet
1. Sling Blade, hm hm

MOST VALUABLE REWATCHES OF FEBRUARY
None

WORST NEW VIEWINGS OF FEBRUARY
Frozen II
Charlie's Angels (2019)

May 24, 2019
Only 11 movies in Feb. 9 new, 2 rewatches. I'm slacking.

Top:
Uncut Gems (had to wait for Netflix in NZ)
The Lighthouse
My Cousin Vinny
Nightingale
The Invisible Man

No stinkers.

---

Just finished my first March movie, Sunrise (2018)
Has anyone seen it? It ends up in a strange and interesting place. I wanted to read interpretations, but could only find one Reddit thread, which helped, but I'd be interesting in hearing from anyone here.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I always forgot to share my viewing every month, I think that last year I only shared it one month. I know, it's shameful. I'll try to share my watches every month!

I watched 9 films this month.

TOP 5 NEW WATCHES
1. Gisaengchung (Parasite) (2019)
2. To Be or Not to Be (1942)
3. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
4. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
5. Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

TOP 5 REWATCHES
None

WORST NEW FILM I WATCHED
Passengers (2016)

WORST NEW FILM I WATCHED... THAT IS SO BAD THAT IT'S A EXPERIENCE
Stridulum (The Visitor) (1979)

Also, I made an account in Letterboxd as Tonyo_reset. I'll update it frecuently from my own list of watches!

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Go on then. Quality over quantity this month. Watched 14 in February. 4 rewatches and 10 new to me. Hopefully manage some more this month.

Top 5 new watches:
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) - 5
2. Little Women (2019) - 5
3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - 4.5
4. Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) - 4
5. The Invisible Man (2020) - 4

Top 5 rewatches:
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) - 5
2. Parasite (2019) - 5
3. Alien (1979) - 5
4. John Wick (2014) - 4
5. -

Worst film I watched:
Joker (2019) - 2.5

Last edited:

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 from February:
Jojo Rabbit
Mother
The Host
Memories of Murder
Okja

I actually watched a lot of different movies in February but the Bong Joon Ho movies above were just better than them all.

I don't have a top 5 worst list because I actually enjoyed everything I saw.

Top Five New Viewings for February (no particular order)
-Bliss
-Hair Love
-First Love
-Ride Your Wave
-Blood & Flesh: The Reel Life & Ghastly Death of Al Adamson

Most Valuable Rewatch: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

The "They Made a Documentary Where Everything Not Directly Related to the Subject Matter was More Interesting and Actually Deserved to Be Elaborated Upon" Award for Cinematic Worthlessness: Wrinkles the Clown

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you haven't rewatched black rain in a while, do it

513YD477MCL._SY445_.jpg

great scott aesthetics, great zimmer soundtrack. Yeah it's predicatble and cliched but moody as fuck. One of my biggest movie memories is seeing its vhs cover on my local movie rental store.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ABOUT ME:
1. What's your favorite Movie? Gozu, by Takashi Miike.
2. Who's your favorite director? Alejandro Jodorowsky.
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses? Anya Taylor-Joy and
4. Favorite Genre(s)? Dark comedy.
5. What's your favorite performance in film? Willem Dafoe in The Lighthouse

TOP 5 NEW WATCHES IN FEBRUARY:

• Knives Out
  • Uncut Gems
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • The Dreamers
  • Iracema, Uma Transa Amazônica
I didn't actually watch a lot this month, to be honest, and I usually don't rewatch because I'm a casual. Rewatched Gozu and What We Do in The Shadows, though.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Watched 8 movies in February 2020.

TOP NEW VIEWINGS
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
2. The Spy Gone North
3. Marriage Story
4. Long Day's Journey Into Night
5. The Invisible Man
6. Birds of Prey

TOP REWATCHES
1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Suicide Squad: Extended Edition

This month I might catch either Sonic or Weathering With You at the cinema.

I really loved The Spy Gone North. All talk, no action. And it was just multi-layered in how all these elements played into the plot. I also enjoyed the cinematography of Long Day's Journey Into Night, and while it was a little bit confusing as intended, I liked what the director was going for. Portrait of a Lady on Fire was my movie of the year.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Homicide: 7/10. Damn Joe Mantegna with the hard R.
American Gigolo: 6/10. I mean it's like they took my life and put it right up on screen. Why exactly was LAPD investigating a murder in Palm Springs, a city not even in the same county? Not much else to say except that Blondie's Call Me was the #1 song on the day I was born which is kinda cool.
Mr Nobody: 3/10. Like if the pontificator from Ghost Story wrote a movie.
The Endless: 6/10. For the most part I can not abide amateur acting but I still managed to make it through this. Some cool ideas that kept me engaged until the end.
Gallipoli: 8/10. I remember we watched this in school, which I can't imagine would happen now but I really have no idea. Didn't remember a thing except the final shot obviously. In the movie it turns out Mel Gibson's analysis of the war was correct, I wonder if that means his other thoughts on the world wars are true...

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Homicide: 7/10. Damn Joe Mantegna with the hard R.
American Gigolo: 6/10. I mean it's like they took my life and put it right up on screen. Why exactly was LAPD investigating a murder in Palm Springs, a city not even in the same county? Not much else to say except that Blondie's Call Me was the #1 song on the day I was born which is kinda cool.
Mr Nobody: 3/10. Like if the pontificator from Ghost Story wrote a movie.
The Endless: 6/10. For the most part I can not abide amateur acting but I still managed to make it through this. Some cool ideas that kept me engaged until the end.
Gallipoli: 8/10. I remember we watched this in school, which I can't imagine would happen now but I really have no idea. Didn't remember a thing except the final shot obviously. In the movie it turns out Mel Gibson's analysis of the war was correct, I wonder if that means his other thoughts on the world wars are true...

On The Endless you should of watched Resolution first. It ties into it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Saw forty films last month

Best New Watches of February 2020:
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
- The Invisible Man (2020)
- Five Element Ninjas
- Birds of Prey
- The Kid
- Doctor Sleep
- Zatoichi's Pilgrimage
- Jallikattu

Best Rewatches:
- Come & See
- Akira

Worst Watch:
The Invasion

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only 9 films for me this month, again. Between classes and catching up with On Cinema, I haven't had much time to watch movies. Still caught some good ones though!

Best New Watches:
1. Ariel
2. Call Me By Your Name
3. I, Daniel Blake
Not really much to say as a lot of what the film is about is explicitly stated within the film itself. I, Daniel Blake is a film that shows the stark reality and tangible consequences of austerity and conservative policies. Folks are faced with a cold, immovable bureaucracy that dehumanizes them. It values rules and process over individuals. The film is shot plainly but purposefully, matching the great performances from Dave Johns and Hayley Squires. Hayley Squires was the real highlight for me, especially in the understated but terrifying, painful scene in the food bank. They are great together and really sell the turmoil of their characters, even when the film teeters over into broad melodrama. I, Daniel Blake is the firsts Ken Loach film I've seen, and it definitely has me interested in the rest of his filmography. I'd love to see the rest of them have the same compelling mix of structural critiques and intimate character moments.
4. Snowpiercer
5. Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

Best Rewatches:
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
3. Mustang
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

No worst watches this month! I have my spring break next week, so hopefully I can watch some more stuff and write a little more. Even if I don't post much here, I always enjoy reading everyone else's stuff.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Oh yeah, realizing I never did the introduction thingie:

1. What's your favorite Movie? The Matrix & La Jetée on top (followed by Arrival & Gravity)
2. Who's your favorite director? The Wachowskis, Denis Villeneuve & Céline Sciamma (sorry can't chose which I love more)
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses? Keanu Reeves, Brie Larson & Brit Marling
4. Favorite Genre(s)? Science Fiction, Fantasy, Drama
5. What's your favorite performance in film? probably Lubna Azabal in Incendies (2010)

Also, I might finally join that discord, heh!

26 films in the 29 days of February.

Top five new watches
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
2. Foreign Correspondent (1940)
3. Dishonored (1931)
4. Blonde Venus (1932)
5. Wuthering Heights (1939)

Top five rewatches
1. Almost Famous (2000)
2. Jerry Maguire (1996)
3. The Darjeeling Limited (2007)
4. Isle of Dogs (2018)
5. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019): Second viewing, on the last night of its run in my local arthouse cinema; it was well-attended, just like the first screening, and I gather it did very well here from talking to the attendant. Not a ton to add to my thoughts from the first time around, though I do wonder: are there any films about portraitists that are not about them having an affair with their subject?

The Devil Is a Woman (1935): The final cinematic collaboration between director Josef von Sternberg and star/muse Marlene Dietrich, in which she plays a Spanish temptress who cavalierly juggles a couple of different guys even as they become completely obsessed with her. Probably the least-interesting of their six collaborations, in my view, though von Sternberg's gift for visuals means his films are always at least interesting. Dietrich as a Spaniard is a bit of a reach, the same being true for various supporting players like 30s supporting comedy actor Edward Everett Horton. But it is interesting to see a young Cesar Romero, the only culturally authentic bit of casting, several decades before he would play the Joker on the Adam West Batman.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saw forty films last month

Best New Watches of February 2020:
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
- The Invisible Man (2020)
- Five Element Ninjas
- Birds of Prey
- The Kid
- Doctor Sleep
- Zatoichi's Pilgrimage
- Jallikattu

Best Rewatches:
- Come & See
- Akira

Worst Watch:
The Invasion
I missed an opportunity to see Jallikattu at the london film festival, it looks dope. Zatoichi's Pilgrimage is that good that it's now shot up to your all time favourites, want to check it out now.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I missed an opportunity to see Jallikattu at the london film festival, it looks dope. Zatoichi's Pilgrimage is that good that it's now shot up to your all time favourites, want to check it out now.
Not all time favorites, I rotate those four on LB based on my last four favorite viewings. But Pilgrimage is one of my favorite among the Zatoichi series.

Jallikattu is available on Amazon Prime

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Top 5 of February:

1. Jojo Rabbit
2. A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
3. The Notebook
4. Dirty Harry
5. Aladdin (2019)

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Lots to catch up on.

Regarding the past month -

Top 5 Watches -
1. Marriage Story - 4 stars
2. Jojo Rabbit - 4 stars
3. Lady and the Tramp - 4 stars
4. One Hundred and One Dalmations - 3.5 stars
5. Ford v. Ferrari - 3.5 stars

Bottom Watches -
3. The Sword in the Stone - 2 stars
2. Peter Pan - 2 stars
1. Bombshell - 1.5 stars

Best Rewatch -
1. The Fugitive - 4 stars

But wait! I must update my reviews!

Ford v. Ferrari - 3.5 stars
Defining Moment: A fistfight between friends, the kind that ruins some newly bought ice cream. A wife visiting her beleaguered husband, turning off the distracting radio and sharing a brief dance after he's worked alone. A man, the owner, breaking into tears on feeling the sheer adrenaline necessary to compete. This is a movie that distills a monument into human interaction and does so with aplomb.

1917 - 3.5 stars
Defining Moment: A late sequence fulfills the promises of a harrowing trek through war-torn France committed to a "single" shot as flares and bombs illuminate a ruined cityscape. It's the most visually arresting image in film in 2019, even as other movies better capture the humanity 1917 tries and fails to reflect.

Marriage Story - 4 stars
Defining Moment: Johansson's joy, breakdown, and catharsis speaking to her lawyer. It's a scene of immense body language, even as it uses so many words to contextualize it. Here is the perfect way to utilize monologue as movement.

Sleeping Beauty - 3.5 stars
Defining Moment: A haunting sequence, so close yet so far from victory, as Aurora is hypnotized into defeat through secret corridors and hushed commands. A woman denied agency, led to ruin, and everyone around her to blame. There's allegory there about raising daughters, nieces, and more.

One Hundred and One Dalmations - 3.5 stars
Defining Moment: Oh, it's the Twilight Bark, a series of coded messages used by Perdita and Pongo to spread their despair and hope. Over an extended sequence we see a community, a marginalized group, use their specialties to come together as a community and amplify their hope for reunion, and failing that come together in collective grief. It's the rare film that understands how the downtrodden support one another through everything.

The Sword in the Stone - 2 stars
Defining Moment: A small, quiet, intensely sad moment as a squirrel mourns her place in the world, harmed by the actions of an uncaring group of men. In a film that never achieves any narrative momentum, and doesn't seem to understand its own story, a sobbing animal left unrelieved hits so hard. To hell with Merlin and Wart!

The Fugitive - 4 stars
Defining Moment: Located at opposite ends of the narrative, the combination of Jones proclaiming "I don't care" to Harrison's proclamations of innocence and the final sequence when Jones looses Harrison's shackles and telling him "Don't tell anyone, okay?" Jones earned that damned Oscar by being human, flaws and virtues fully owned.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unicorn Store - Funny, everyone puts in good work with their part. A completely different vibe and style than I was expecting (in a good way). I really should have watched this when it came out.

Jojo Rabbit (2019): For reasons unknown to me, this never came to Charlottetown during the awards movie season, either at the Cineplex or the arthouse. Consequently, I was familiar with most of the plot beats of this, just because there was a fair bit of discussion of it in awards circles. Taika Waititi has been a hit-and-miss filmmaker with me (Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a classic; I'm one of the dissenting voices on Thor: Ragnarok), and this seemed to miss with some people who generally like his style (though it has a Letterboxd average of 4.0, so clearly it's doing okay with most of the usual suspects), so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of my own reception. In the end, I liked it. It's not a great film, and it definitely wouldn't have gotten my vote for Best Adapted Screenplay, but it's a solid dramedy (skewing toward comedy) about a boy at the point in his life where negative ideologies cultivated by society first collide with real world experience and how he has to weigh these things. As far as its handling of the Nazi regime, the trailers dubbed this an "anti-hate satire", which, I wouldn't call this bleeding edge stuff, but then the Nazis are such a broad, obvious target that I'm not sure how much you could really do there anyway. This skews more toward the "just make them look foolish" approach, which Mel Brooks was a fan of over the years, for instance. Finally, if anyone in the cast was going to get a Supporting Actress nomination, it really should have been McKenzie (Johansson is her typical solid self, but McKenzie's part is more memorable).

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
29 films in February. Top 5 nw:

1. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
2. Ad Astra (2019)
3. The Old Man & the Gun (2018)
4. Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's "Island of Dr. Moreau" (2014)
5. Klaus (2019)

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Jojo Rabbit (2019): For reasons unknown to me, this never came to Charlottetown during the awards movie season, either at the Cineplex or the arthouse. Consequently, I was familiar with most of the plot beats of this, just because there was a fair bit of discussion of it in awards circles. Taika Waititi has been a hit-and-miss filmmaker with me (Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a classic; I'm one of the dissenting voices on Thor: Ragnarok), and this seemed to miss with some people who generally like his style (though it has a Letterboxd average of 4.0, so clearly it's doing okay with most of the usual suspects), so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of my own reception. In the end, I liked it. It's not a great film, and it definitely wouldn't have gotten my vote for Best Adapted Screenplay, but it's a solid dramedy (skewing toward comedy) about a boy at the point in his life where negative ideologies cultivated by society first collide with real world experience and how he has to weigh these things. As far as its handling of the Nazi regime, the trailers dubbed this an "anti-hate satire", which, I wouldn't call this bleeding edge stuff, but then the Nazis are such a broad, obvious target that I'm not sure how much you could really do there anyway. This skews more toward the "just make them look foolish" approach, which Mel Brooks was a fan of over the years, for instance. Finally, if anyone in the cast was going to get a Supporting Actress nomination, it really should have been McKenzie (Johansson is her typical solid self, but McKenzie's part is more memorable).
I'm with you, Hunt for the Wilderpeople is brilliant but am also a dissenter on Thor Ragnarok. I don't know how I'll react when I see this film eventually, but hopefully I do like it enough.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Saw The Shining last night for the first time and thought it was brilliant if a little long in parts. Discovered after the fact that there's a 119m cut instead of the 144m I saw, so that would align and believe Kubrick himself said that it's his preferred one. Mildly irritating as feel I might have not had the negatives with that version and it was my first watch but, whatever, save for that pacing in parts it was incredible. Nicholson gives one of the best performances I've seen on film. The bar scene was just completely entrancing. Couldn't look away as he further and further wound himself into a fury. Maze and photo at the end is a chefs kiss of an ending.

At the moment pre-mulling and review I'm settling at a 4.5 -- will have to rewatch with the other cut at some point and see if the pacing notches it up that final half star. Interested to know what anyone thought between the two if you've seen both.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I watched all the Purge movies over the past 2 days, overall a very average series with a really cool premise. I much preferred the first two and found the last one to be the worst. Apparently they're doing one more and it's over. I also watched the Purge series which was much better imo.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I watched all the Purge movies over the past 2 days, overall a very average series with a really cool premise. I much preferred the first two and found the last one to be the worst. Apparently they're doing one more and it's over. I also watched the Purge series which was much better imo.
Anarchy and First Purge are actually my favorites; that last one has some really good action and a sense of place that the other films lacked. It just felt more sinister and intense than the others

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Saw The Shining last night for the first time and thought it was brilliant if a little long in parts... Nicholson gives one of the best performances I've seen on film
Now check out some other Nicholson performances which are even much better than his turn in The Shining. Chinatown, The Last Detail, and Five Easy Pieces, in particular.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched 19 films last month.

1. Cold War
2. Heaven Knows What (rewatch)
3. Zama (rewatch)
4. An Elephant Sitting Still
5. La Notte

Top theatrical watches:
1. Birds of Prey
2. The Assistant
3. The Gentlemen

Cold War is a certifiable classic

May 24, 2019
will have to rewatch with the other cut at some point and see if the pacing notches it up that final half star. Interested to know what anyone thought between the two if you've seen both.

Get the old Pal DVD so you can watch it in open matte too. Check out them helicopter shadows in the title sequence!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Turns out Princess Mononoke is coming to the cinema near me this weekend so immediately grabbed tickets. Can't wait. Has been a few years since I last saw it and will be great to have the refresh be on the big screen 🦌🌳🐾
Now check out some other Nicholson performances which are even much better than his turn in The Shining. Chinatown, The Last Detail, and Five Easy Pieces, in particular.
Definitely appreciate the recommendations and have added them to the watchlist - thank you! In a situation where when I was into films in the past I had a somewhat juvenile dislike of older films and a general dislike of horrors. So coming back into appreciating them now has left me with a lot of old classics to look forward to!
Get the old Pal DVD so you can watch it in open matte too. Check out them helicopter shadows in the title sequence!
Oh nice! I imagine that can't be too hard to find in the UK. Seems to be around £2.50 on ebay, anything in particular I should look out for before purchase that signals the correct one?

Last edited:

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I recently watched Parasite. Loved it. Then tracked down the Host. I'm cautious about Okja, but it's on my list, and Memories of Murder is one I'm looking forward to also. Goddamn Parasite is so good!

May 24, 2019
Oh nice! I imagine that can't be too hard to find in the UK. Seems to be around £2.50 on ebay, anything in particular I should look out for before purchase that signals the correct one?

I think you'll be safe with one of the white covers from the early 2000s.
l0PEOn7.jpg

The Bluray now has the American cut default, so newer DVD copies are probably just the same thing.

So where's the MOTY results
They're at home, WASHING THEIR TIGHTS!

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising:
Very much not rocking the boat in terms of setup or basic plotting, since you can swap out plot details and villains between this and the previous movie and get... pretty much the identical movie on those fronts. Where this does differ starts in the longer setup, which attempts to bring a kind of quaint slice-of-life appeal to the kids of Class 1-A as they begin what will invariably turn to an ill-fated hero outreach program on a remote island. There's promise there, but the film does speed through all the charming moments too fast to make them count and even runs into a little too much repetition when it focuses on our object of desire, reiterating too often to not come across as a spot of padding to stretch the budget out a little further. Thankfully, the film remembers just when to kick into high gear, and from there, the series' patented brand of shonen showboating dazzles all the way through to the end, topping each and every fight with some real impressive staging and, no doubt addressing a big complaint with the first film, constant support from the entire cast to avoid feeling too much like the Midoriya/Bakugo show that the posters may make it seem. It all leads to a literal whirlwind of a final fight, one that does a great job of raising the stakes to a fever pitch before dropping a massive bomb on everything to set up the final part of the battle to give as exciting a conclusion as could be humanly possible. No doubt that one particular element is going to give a lot of discussion to come for diehard fans, even as it felt like the only logical way to match the threat in a satisfactory way. Definitely nothing deep at the end of the day, but it's real fun slobberknocker all the same.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Watched only 7 movies in February. I hope I can watch more this month.

Top 5 of February:
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - 4.5/5
2. Shoplifters - 4/5
3. The Farewell - 3.5/5
4. Love - 3.5/5
5. Knives Out - 3.5/5

The other two films are Suicide Club and Jojo Rabbit but I didn't like either of them anyway.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I'll see it again because I missed the first 3-5 mins, but let's just say the movie didn't set my world on fire. Best Movie of 2019? Better than Parasite? I'll answer "No" to both those questions. Easily

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The King on Netflix

This is a very uneven movie IMO, but the highs are really high. Having a hard time deciding how I should rate it. It's worth a watch but it feels like it enjoys the smell of itself too much, if you feel me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I'll see it again because I missed the first 3-5 mins, but let's just say the movie didn't set my world on fire. Best Movie of 2019? Better than Parasite? I'll answer "No" to both those questions. Easily
The very first scene is crucial, but I'm curious if a rewatch changes your mind. What was your issue with it?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Under the Silver Lake (2018)
I really loved parts of this movie - from the beginning it seems to acknowledge that it's a film above all. It does things like lean into genre tropes and move the camera in very cinematic ways even if they make little sense for the scene, which I think is kinda cool. But imo it just drags on too long and there isn't a ton that happens. I love the color in the film though, everything really pops. But I guess if I'm gonna watch a neo-post-noir or whatever we're calling this genre I'd rather see Brick.
5/10