• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
If each player there was paid a reasonable wage for the time they spent labouring for Mr Beast's YouTube profit this would be 100% unproblematic.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Capitalist competition as entertainment, brought to you by Brawl Stars!

gX1dDo9.png

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The never-ending cynicism of this place is completely exhausting. Dude finds a way to raise a bunch of money for food banks, oceans, forests, pet shelters, whatever it may be in ways that the people participating in them clearly have fun with, and yet is somehow wrong for doing that because his puzzle piece doesn't quite fit into the tiny hole that one finds acceptable.

Even if the people who didn't get make it far didn't get paid that well (and at $2k at the very least for what was very clearly a relatively short shoot, that's not bad at all), it's pretty clear from the video that they were having fun just being there. These were all fans of his, and I'm sure even if they lost they were still having a fun time being around a group of people who bring them joy. They were flown out to wherever they live, given a free, probably short vacation (but a vacation none the less), and a neat story to tell.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalist competition as entertainment, brought to you by Brawl Stars!

gX1dDo9.png

it cost $3 million to make this I believe, so what's the problem ?

A mobile game sponsor to pay for it all, like who cares ? people really want to be that miserable ?

"Capitalist competition" ... Sent from iPhone basically

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That it's good they got paid? There's no satire, and it's not really even a take. I didn't know in my first post whether or not they were paid, turns out they were paid for the labour, and it was likely more than US min wage, that's good.
To be clear, I'm glad they got something for participating. But this is not a job… it is a fun event/game show that participants volunteered in. Just weird to me thinking of this in terms of labor that needs pay.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Great video. Unrelenting, endless cynicism is so fucking tiring, ERA can be as shitty as Twitter sometimes
Yeah Era's inability to allow nice things a lot of the time is really tiresome after a while. I usually just put threads on ignore after people start derailing it with stuff like that.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if a wealthy eccentric person is ever gonna actually recreate a death game like this in real life for real (like, they actually kidnap and murder people who don't win the game).

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think some people have the gotcha they think they had in calling this tone death cuz capitalism, especially knowing how much money the show brought Netflix and the creators while the only way to watch the show was to pay a subscription fee to the service.

But I guess that's different or whatever excuse most Era posters pull when you try to point something like that out.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
why does every youtuber make those fucking awful faces for their videos? How does that appeal to people

addons.mozilla.org

Clickbait Remover for Youtube – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-GB)

Download Clickbait Remover for Youtube for Firefox. Replaces thumbnails and modifies titles of videos on youtube.com and m.youtube.com

This extension replaces thumbnails with a frame from the video, effectively removing any clickbait while still showing a high quality thumbnail so you can still get a good idea of what the video is about.
It can also modify titles to stop partial or all caps titles.

Game-changer.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Those were some seriously impressive sets. The tug of war and the glass bridge seemed to be really high up, but everyone was walking around and celebrating like it was nothing. Probably billions of safety measures taken.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those were some seriously impressive sets. The tug of war and the glass bridge seemed to be really high up, but everyone was walking around and celebrating like it was nothing. Probably billions of safety measures taken.
Glass Bridge one scared the shit out of me, but I honestly think it was some visual effect or something and they weren't near that high.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
Glass Bridge one scared the shit out of me, but I honestly think it was some visual effect or something and they weren't near that high.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Those 2 had to be some post effects. If you pay attention, you'll see someone almost fell of the railing during tug of war.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Shit is weird, these don't even seem like real people lol but it was a neat video. This guy seems to do some good things for people, unfortunately it feels like only a matter of time until some bad shit comes out about him.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The never-ending cynicism of this place is completely exhausting. Dude finds a way to raise a bunch of money for food banks, oceans, forests, pet shelters, whatever it may be in ways that the people participating in them clearly have fun with, and yet is somehow wrong for doing that because his puzzle piece doesn't quite fit into the tiny hole that one finds acceptable.

Even if the people who didn't get make it far didn't get paid that well (and at $2k at the very least for what was very clearly a relatively short shoot, that's not bad at all), it's pretty clear from the video that they were having fun just being there. These were all fans of his, and I'm sure even if they lost they were still having a fun time being around a group of people who bring them joy. They were flown out to wherever they live, given a free, probably short vacation (but a vacation none the less), and a neat story to tell.

You've gotta filter it out.

It's the only way.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"Capitalist competition" ... Sent from iPhone basically
There is a perfect meme for this comment but I don't remember what it was
What am i reading? Hey wanna get a chance at winning half a million dollars? Only if you pay me for the time.
If the video is monetized I don't think that is unreasonable? Heck even if it isn't it's still in service of a brand so money will be made off of it, the participants unquestionably engaged in labor.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
To be clear, I'm glad they got something for participating. But this is not a job… it is a fun event/game show that participants volunteered in. Just weird to me thinking of this in terms of labor that needs pay.

AFAIK Mr. Beast's brand is revenue-generating, not a charity. Everyone's criticism of how "it's ironic" and he "doesn't get the point of squid game" would be completely valid if he was able to use his parasocial status to monitize 455 people giving him free labour for a "chance at improving their life". Instead, this is a fun video where everyone seems to be fairly compensated at minimum and that's just a good thing.

Only reason I brought it up in the first place was because of the cynicism going on in this thread. I don't think it's right, given they seem to be fairly compensated for the value they created for Beast's business. I wouldn't have bothered bringing it up if not for the way the thread was going.

What am i reading? Hey wanna get a chance at winning half a million dollars? Only if you pay me for the time.

Amazing take.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you're misunderstanding me. Participants were paid, Mr. Beast's brand is not a volunteer charity but instead a private business and he should (and did) pay for the labour of the people who made this revenue-creating project for him. Which is good.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you're misunderstanding me. Participants were paid, Mr. Beast's brand is not a volunteer charity but instead a private business and he should (and did) pay for the labour of the people who made this revenue-creating project for him. Which is good.
And? I dont think he should have to give anything although its nice that he does. Its like a non profit tv station can interview you on the streets and they're not gonna pay you anything, if you don't want to participate, they ask someone else. Unless its something only you could answer. But if its something everyone could? They'll tell you to fuck off if you ask for money.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
And? I dont think he should have to give anything although its nice that he does. Its like a non profit tv station can interview you on the streets and they're not gonna pay you anything, if you don't want to participate, they ask someone else. Unless its something only you could answer. But if its something everyone could? They'll tell you to fuck off if you ask for money.
He's significantly a for-profit brand, not a non-profit, and the amount of revenue generated off of this for his business is extreme. You don't think it would be a bad thing to use your status to get 455 people to make your business a shitload of money for free?

Especially since what they're depicting is a story where 456 people have been screwed over by capitalism so much that they're willing to do anything for a chance, it would be very tasteless. But he did the right thing and literally everyone is win-win, so no cynicism necessary in this thread :)

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
He's significantly a for-profit brand, not a non-profit, and the amount of revenue generated off of this for his business is extreme. You don't think it would be a bad thing to use your status to get 455 people to make your business a shitload of money for free?

Especially since what they're depicting is a story where 456 people have been screwed over by capitalism so much that they're willing to do anything for a chance, it would be very tasteless. But he did the right thing and literally everyone is win-win, so no cynicism necessary in this thread :)
People had the chance to win life changing money.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Just seems like stuff is always coming out about internet personalities, whether it be some older stuff that comes to light or who they associate with or relationship stuff or whatever else
The only thing that's come out is that he's an asshole/very hard to work with because of how hands on he is.

He also heavily promoted PewDiePie at one point. So you can take that as you will.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he paid them so that part is moot but had he not, you really don't think filming all day for a business is labor? I just don't understand how you square that regardless of people having a chance to win anything.

I mean is that any different to how game shows work? Nobody forced them to go play his Squid game.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
while people weren't dying, the way he did red light green light was a little unfair compared to how it was done in the show. just him spitting out redlight so fast or him saying green light multiple times or yellow to try and throw people off. and then not giving players enough green light time and running out the clock....then green lighting at the end to just let people cross cause he realized he spent too much time not letting people cross.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
This is insane how much is set up. Ill give him credit that his videos seem like such a huge scope

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think the people who participate in game shows get paid? The fuck is going on with these hot takes.

I'm fairly sure in most cases people who participate in game shows get paid, regardless of whether they win or lose- they'll usually get a stipend based on how long they were on the show.

Even the court shows work by giving each person on the show a stipend, then just deducting the judgement from the loser of the case and give it to the winner.

(I don't think there's anything wrong with the video; some people here just hate anyone with even a penny more than them).

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Shit is weird, these don't even seem like real people lol but it was a neat video. This guy seems to do some good things for people, unfortunately it feels like only a matter of time until some bad shit comes out about him.
Ah yeah always asuming the worst

Will watch the video tonight, they are really hit or miss for me but I think I will like this one

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, then that's definitely reasonable. Idk how many hours the final people were there, but even if it was 50hrs (probably super high estimate) that's 40/hr of labour.
They had a chance to win 456k. People fly out to game shows and come away with much less than a $2k consolation prize. If you can't swing it then don't go.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the guy that let 456 win at marbles for nothing financial? ...Yikes, thats a move.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
really don't care about mr. beast one way it another. lots of worse people out there but still relevant/funny