• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Mr. Robot is currently airing new episodes, Wednesdays at 10/9c on USA.

Trailer

The series follows Elliot Alderson (Rami Malek), a cyber-security engineer who became involved in the underground hacker group fsociety after being recruited by their mysterious leader (Christian Slater), who he later discovered to be the projection of his dead father. Following the events of fsociety's five/nine hack on the multi-national company Evil Corp, Season 2 explored the consequences of the attack as well as the illusion of control.

Spoiler Rules

Please spoiler tag discussion of previews. Discussion of previously aired episodes isn't necessary.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god someone made this lol, too bad I only just now noticed it lol

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Glad we got this thread up so fast. Haven't seen S03E03 yet, but i'll be watching it tonight. I'll post thoughts & add a big 'ol spoiler warning if I think i'm getting too close.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly what I want from an episode of Mr. Robot, but I still enjoyed it. Loved the Cypress Hill.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder where
all the trump stuff is going. I don't feel like he'd just leave those random shots in just for fun.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't know if I like how laid out that episode made everything. It was kind of fun not knowing/speculating.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the notification system! I can pop into this thread ask a question and not get spoiled knowing I'll only read posts that quote me...

Anyway, I loved S1. S2 wasn't as good imo but I still liked it. I haven't felt the urge to start S3 and I'd like to be convinced. It felt like S1 they were always working towards something big. That sense of urgency and pace really allowed me to enjoy the show. S2 I felt lacked that.

Does S3 rectify that? Without spoiling of course.

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting direction there taking with the show in terms of the real world election cycle. Pretty apt, I wonder if the show will culminate on election night 2016 eventually.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I love the notification system! I can pop into this thread ask a question and not get spoiled knowing I'll only read posts that quote me...

Anyway, I loved S1. S2 wasn't as good imo but I still liked it. I haven't felt the urge to start S3 and I'd like to be convinced. It felt like S1 they were always working towards something big. That sense of urgency and pace really allowed me to enjoy the show. S2 I felt lacked that.

Does S3 rectify that? Without spoiling of course.

Only 3 episodes have aired but so far it's struck a nice balance between the paces of seasons 1 and 2 - it's not quite as propulsive as the first season and not as navel gaze-y as the second.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I never thought after last season that Mr. Robot would have an episode like this one, going back to show us how everything fell into place in S2. On one hand I liked seeing Tyrell descend into (even more) madness and seeing behind the curtain, but I'm not sure how necessary the episode was in the grand scheme. Still on board in any case, as it does feel like the show has an end game in mind unlike the psychological roundabout that was season 2. Interesting to see how they're tying in the election into the whole thing. I wonder how much Trump winning changed the course of the show.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Show has good camera shots
Episode really show the scale of power the Dark Army has. The media influenced and electing Trump Also seeing that FBI guy is part of Dark Army.

Great episode. We finally saw all of Tyrells's season 2 story

So read that Joanna died as planned no external influences all

Oh hey it's that guy from Princess Bride. Inconceivable!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joanna getting killed off makes way more sense after this ep given the revelation of Tyrells motivations.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this tied up so many loose ends.
Tyrell's reaction to Elliot's condition was amazing, last shot was great too.

Season 3's been exceeding expectations for me.

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Tyrell is beholden to and has so much affection for Elliot. Dude, he tried to kill you.

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up with Season 3. I've been enjoying the season so far, but it's been pretty standard for Mr. Robot so far. Nothing too bizarre or twisty so far, which is a nice change of pace. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode. You can probably argue whether it was really necessary, but I liked seeing how everything fell into place,

Also,
what Tyrell did with the femtocell has ramifications for stage 2, doesn't it? It probably still works, even if Elliot thinks it doesn't.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved...
the moment where they imply that getting Trump elected is all part of the plan. That makes more sense than IRL really :)

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Good episode. It wasn't necessary but I liked it.

Bobby Cannavale remains great. Tyrell Wellick is fucking unhinged. Whiterose is pulling "the right strings". It kinda felt like a stopgap instead of something a bit more meaningful but I'll take it.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why Tyrell is beholden to and has so much affection for Elliot. Dude, he tried to kill you.

I think it has to do with feeling like he's the most powerful man. Elliot to Tyrell is that dream getting realized. I would also speculate that this is the same with Joanna, that their sexual and relationship dynamic was focused around Tyrell being a powerful man. When he lost that after killing Sharon Knowles, you could see that he felt emasculated.

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has to do with feeling like he's the most powerful man. Elliot to Tyrell is that dream getting realized. I would also speculate that this is the same with Joanna, that their sexual and relationship dynamic was focused around Tyrell being a powerful man. When he lost that after killing Sharon Knowles, you could see that he felt emasculated.

Hmmm, that is a pretty good reason. Well thought out insight.

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the episode, but I'd prefer if this was showed at season 2 xD

That's where I am at. It was a great episode, but somehow felt like leftovers, storywise. It was nice to get a clearer picture of Tyrells motivations though, and while it felt like a slightly unnecessary episode now, I think it will have more weight as we go deeper into the season.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta rewatch the episode, I really feel like I missed a lot of small easter eggs that I would only catch if I 100% remembered everything that happened in the past 3 seasons. I absolutely love the cyberpunk noir feel of the past 3 episodes, it just feels like some sort of combo of Blade Runner, Neuromancer, and Shadowrun.

They didn't show at all Tyrell calling his wife, right? I remember an episode in season 2 where she received a box and a phone inside it and talked to someone, and I thought at the time everyone thought it was Mr. Robot talking to her. Still a bit confused / missing on what exactly the relationships are between (the now dead) Mrs. Wellick, Tyrell, and Elliot/Mr. Robot.

Whiterose picking Donald Trump as the next president was a bit funny / tragic / conspiracy-fuel.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyrell wasn't calling his wife for the majority of those. Most/all of those were from the widower of the woman Tyrell killed.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Alright - I apologize ahead of time for the spoilers in the episode for those who may not have seen it. Still not sure how to handle spoilers in the new home. Having said that, some thoughts.

I find it intriguing the overall direction with the series in these first 3 episodes when framed with the overarching criticism the series received last year. Last year, the pacing slowed to a crawl, and instead of spending time answering mysteries that were presented in the epilogue episode in Season 1, they spent most of the season layering on even more mysteries, isolating Elliot from the main plot thread for almost half the season or longer, and trying to find new ways to 'twist' the audience. I really enjoyed season 2, but not for the same reasons I loved season 1.

Now, however, we come back and it seems Esmail took that criticism to heart. He reinjected Elliot back into the main plot & kept him there, has spelled out things that are occurring & with whom, and has kept the focus on episodes on a few key characters & plot threads per episode without breaking stride. Its far more focused than what S2 was. To that end, i'm glad that we got a whole episode de-mystifying what exactly happened to Tyrell in S2, but I still have a nagging feeling that if a few threads were better handled in S2, a whole episode to this explanation wouldn't have been necessary, which extends a feeling of this episode being unnecessary despite having enjoyed it.

At least they made good use of the episode to move along a few more story threads & give us a few reveals. The acting & sets was all superb. That interrogation scene was both surreal & incredibly well performed. The FBI having a dark army mole & spelling out exactly who it was is fantastic. It made the idea that this nation-wide manhunt couldn't find Tyrell for over 6 months get some credence. And that whole FBI-mole was a fan-theory that was sorta floated last year, so its great that they didn't tease that it could be the case - they just cold revealed it. Made it far more effective imo.

Anyway, the show still continues to be one of my favorite watches. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but its certainly mine.

Tyrell wasn't calling his wife for the majority of those. Most/all of those were from the widower of the woman Tyrell killed.

Yeah, considering the things they were aiming to clear up with this episode, I think they would've shown if Tyrell made any such calls.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Only finished half of ep 3 but as a whole this season feels so much more assured. I definitely think Esmail knows where he's going now and I wasn't so sure early on in the series.

On a side note I signed up for ecoin perks and they've been sending out some pretty cool stuff. Free Amazon echo, script pages, videos of the right wing talk show guy etc

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the most recent episode was one of the better in the series. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the Dark Army side and B.D. Wong, though. Irving has been really refreshing and the retroactive filling in of S2 is something that needed to be done.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Fine, goddammit, if the show ITSELF wants me to ship Elliot and Tyrell, you better effing believe I'm doubling down.

Ellrell 4 eva <3

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Tyrelliot is damn good.

I enjoyed Tyrell's S2 adventure. It wasn't needed but was nice.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I needed this episode at this point, but it was still good and helped fill in some blanks while giving more insight into Tyrell's character, so I still enjoyed it. The second episode was definitely my favorite ep of this season so far.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Finished the last episode. So good!

I'd agree that it wasn't totally needed, but it was pretty captivating to see the pieces fall into each other. Loved Wallace Shawn small scene. Hope we get to see more of him.

I want a Dark Army mask now.

Last edited: