• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, great usage of "Intro" there, though I feel like I'm biased since I've loved the song for years now.

Solid finale. Nothing mindblowing. Dug Leon cleaning shit up. There oddly wasn't really anything set up for season 4 (other than Vera), but I guess it's nice for them to be off the "WE NEED TO UNDO 5/9" train.

This may sound dumb, but Mr. Robot has to die next season, doesn't he?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on who you ask. A lot of people in the Mr. Robot subreddit were convinced that Darlene was dead based on the imagery of her juxtaposed with fire/the color red. And I personally thought that Darlene was going to end up dead and empower Elliot to follow through with his vengeance wish they made. I'm happy they didn't do her dirty considering how warm the bond is between the both of them, though there is a chance that she might still end up dead in Season 4.

They painted themselves into a corner with the previous episode by having Grant declare his desire to kill Elliot. They can't really kill either of them when they are in the same room, so that scene can only really go one way. Yes, there was a ton of foreshadowing of Darlene dying, continuing even after the barn situation with Dom's quip. The writers certainly went with the audience expecting Darlene to not make it, but I wasn't really convinced. They made Whiterose out to be this really petty, committed to Elliot type, so when Grant tried to overrule her it seemed like the writing was on the wall for him to meet his end. Adding in Elliot promising to help with the Congo and it wasn't really much of a twist. I actually bought Vera gunning her down a lot more than Grant.

I think they'll pick up after the hack is undone in S4 and it won't be any better than things are now, much to the dismay of Elliot. I still think Darlene dies at some point.

This may sound dumb, but Mr. Robot has to die next season, doesn't he?

Mr Robot will die when Elliot makes peace with his relationship to his father and his death.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The prison break/Shayla getting killed episode was heartbreaking, so I am super glad Vera is back for S4, hopefully Elliott gets revenge in some way.

Great season of television! Roll on next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing finale.

All this time I was paranoid about Darlene dying, but when you think about it she's Elliot's living memory storage.
With Elliot's unreliable memories and narration, she's the one to ground things and help Elliot (as well as us) remember how things actually went down during their childhood.
If she was to be killed, I guess it won't be until we know Elliot knows enough about his childhood to make peace with his father finally, though I think that will kill "Mr.Robot" as well.

Also, VERA!!!

Last edited:

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Huh. Interested to see where this goes.

I assume Elliot will once again learn he's pretty naive and this reset isn't really going to fix shit, as suggested by that final street conversation.

This reset wasn't about fixing anything. Elliot isn't under any impression that reversing the 5/9 attack will somehow affect anyone he was originally targeting. Elliot even tells Mr. Robot in the scene prior in the train station that reversing the hack isn't about getting to E-Corp or any of the people who have affected him & the ones he cares about; reversing the 5/9 hack was a way for him to try & begin making amends for the sorry state his actions put the world in. He knows it won't fix anything, but at least he can begin getting a handle on the guilt he feels & instead focus on targeting the actual people who are controlling everything (DA/WR) without affecting the mass populace.

Ultimately, the realization both Elliot & Mr. Robot came to this season was acknowledging the oversight they ultimately made when they cooked up the 5/9 attack. That oversight being that the 5/9 attack was going to affect the general populace they had hoped to free far more than the actual people they held a grudge with, because not only were the people in power aware that the attack was going to happen and allowed it, but that they ultimately set up a scenario where they could benefit from it the most (ECorp instating ECoin/WR getting his project moved to the Congo).

Both Elliot & Mr. Robot realized this at different times. Mr. Robot saw this when he came to the realization that stage 2 had been taken over by Tyrell/DA and had been taken to an extreme Mr. Robot was ultimately never okay with. In fact, even his initial plan of simply bombing the one location was designed to not have anyone in the building (or so he thought/hoped). It was cemented when Irving took Mr. Robot to that ritzy high-scale party & Mr. Robot saw that while the country was literally burning, they were having a party while a dead mistress was rotting in the bathroom.

Elliot, however, came to this realization in the first episode of the season. However, at that time, Elliot had no idea there was anyway to reverse what he'd done or to make the world better for the mass populace. The only avenue available to him to accomplish what he wanted was to ensure that the digitizing of the paper records would go down & tried to safe guard that effort from Mr.R/DA/Tyrell. Didn't work. And the guilt of the subsequent attack, that he was somehow the mastermind behind fucking up the world around him even further, caused him to almost go through with what he did in the 8th episode.

The final street convo is both for Darlene, who is actually more naive than Elliot, and for the audience, so as to not have any misconceptions on what the reversing of 5/9 was going to do to the world.

Oct 26, 2017
They painted themselves into a corner with the previous episode by having Grant declare his desire to kill Elliot. They can't really kill either of them when they are in the same room, so that scene can only really go one way. Yes, there was a ton of foreshadowing of Darlene dying, continuing even after the barn situation with Dom's quip. The writers certainly went with the audience expecting Darlene to not make it, but I wasn't really convinced. They made Whiterose out to be this really petty, committed to Elliot type, so when Grant tried to overrule her it seemed like the writing was on the wall for him to meet his end. Adding in Elliot promising to help with the Congo and it wasn't really much of a twist. I actually bought Vera gunning her down a lot more than Grant.

I think they'll pick up after the hack is undone in S4 and it won't be any better than things are now, much to the dismay of Elliot. I still think Darlene dies at some point.

To be honest, the whole "painting themselves into a corner" thing doesn't really make sense when you consider that Elliot is still the protagonist of a show called Mr. Robot, so you could argue he wasn't going to get shot anyways (not with his arc still incomplete unless they were actually bold and risking divisiveness lol). And given that the Dark Army is all about breaking people down in order to get them to follow their commands, and it's not out of the ordinary to think Darlene would have died for Elliot to be forced to help with the Congo shipments. Kind of like how Walter pleaded for Hank's life by offering his fortune, only for the Nazis to kill him anyway.

Whiterose was always the petty type. She got annoyed with Angela popping up and trying to stop her WTP project in S2, she got mad at Philip Price trying to shove ECoin down her throat while disobeying her command to shut Angela down (so much so that she executed Stage 2 against Grant's wishes). And now she flipped shit over her WTP shipments getting delayed. However, I don't think she's committed to Elliot. She has this way of "consuming" people, we saw it with her Dark Army cronies willingly committing suicide, Irving hinting that they had a relationship until they didn't for whatever reason, and treating people as if only she can say when they can live or die. She has already determined that Elliot is going to die some time, so that doesn't sound very committed.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great finale. Completely forgot who Vera was though, I'm ashamed with myself.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Since i'm not quite done writing stuff, I just gotta throw down another post. Absolutely loved the season finale, and really love the different pieces they are setting up for Season 4. S3, for me, rebounded on some of the issues I had with S2 & then some. There is just so much to unpack with what happened this season.

My favorite development, though, has to be the reconciliation that occurred at the very end of the season. It turns out Elliot has been doing the right thing (taking down the people who are in control of the world for their own ends) for the wrong reason (revenge), but it wasn't such a simple revenge story. In Elliot's mind, his dad having been the one to push him out a window has been viewed as a result of the trust Elliot broke when he told his Mom about his father's condition. By extension, Elliot more than likely held a deeper grudge with E-Corp as they were the ones to blame for his father's condition, which led to his father doing something so horrible to him in the first place. And this grudge was something young Elliot hung onto deeply, as we see in this season when we watch how Elliot interacted with his father right before he died.

But Elliot now knows the truth - his father never pushed him out that window. When he now sees Mr. Robot, he doesn't have to see the man who hurt him as a child anymore. Its pivotal that this revelation occurred right before Mr. Robot & him fully reconciled & agreed to work together as a team from then on. This should give Elliot, and subsequently Mr. Robot, the ability to pursue DA/WR without that blinding lust for revenge clouding their judgement, which is what got them & the world the mess they found themselves in in the first place.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Since i'm not quite done writing stuff, I just gotta throw down another post. Absolutely loved the season finale, and really love the different pieces they are setting up for Season 4. S3, for me, rebounded on some of the issues I had with S2 & then some. There is just so much to unpack with what happened this season.

My favorite development, though, has to be the reconciliation that occurred at the very end of the season. It turns out Elliot has been doing the right thing (taking down the people who are in control of the world for their own ends) for the wrong reason (revenge), but it wasn't such a simple revenge story. In Elliot's mind, his dad having been the one to push him out a window has been viewed as a result of the trust Elliot broke when he told his Mom about his father's condition. By extension, Elliot more than likely held a deeper grudge with E-Corp as they were the ones to blame for his father's condition, which led to his father doing something so horrible to him in the first place. And this grudge was something young Elliot hung onto deeply, as we see in this season when we watch how Elliot interacted with his father right before he died.

But Elliot now knows the truth - his father never pushed him out that window. When he now sees Mr. Robot, he doesn't have to see the man who hurt him as a child anymore. Its pivotal that this revelation occurred right before Mr. Robot & him fully reconciled & agreed to work together as a team from then on. This should give Elliot, and subsequently Mr. Robot, the ability to pursue DA/WR without that blinding lust for revenge clouding their judgement, which is what got them & the world the mess they found themselves in in the first place.
Great post but only want to respond about Elliot jumping instead of being pushed since it hasn't been touched on much here. I was half expecting some other character to hop on the subway when that convo ended because it implied/stated two things; that Darlene is our window into the truth of Elliot and that something else was going on when he was a kid besides his grief. Perhaps he jumped because he felt helpless or angry at his father for dying but I think the bigger hint was that there is more to the story that we don't know. Perhaps another part of his mind manifesting as a new or established character. I'm not sure who it could possibly be if so though.

I'll add on my own I think there's a clear set up for an Angela vs Elliot season 4. She's clearly joining forces with her dad and Elliot is set on bringing down Price AND white rose and anyone else involved with pulling the puppet strings. I loved the finale and I love the idea of a soft reset where Elliot is in control of his faculties. It'll be so much fun to see what he can pull off.

Does anyone think he actually had a legit way to pull off the shipment? The way that scene was handled and the absolute lack of foreshadowing makes me think there's something going on with the shipping manifest he sent the DA

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
This reset wasn't about fixing anything. Elliot isn't under any impression that reversing the 5/9 attack will somehow affect anyone he was originally targeting. Elliot even tells Mr. Robot in the scene prior in the train station that reversing the hack isn't about getting to E-Corp or any of the people who have affected him & the ones he cares about; reversing the 5/9 hack was a way for him to try & begin making amends for the sorry state his actions put the world in. He knows it won't fix anything, but at least he can begin getting a handle on the guilt he feels & instead focus on targeting the actual people who are controlling everything (DA/WR) without affecting the mass populace.

Ultimately, the realization both Elliot & Mr. Robot came to this season was acknowledging the oversight they ultimately made when they cooked up the 5/9 attack. That oversight being that the 5/9 attack was going to affect the general populace they had hoped to free far more than the actual people they held a grudge with, because not only were the people in power aware that the attack was going to happen and allowed it, but that they ultimately set up a scenario where they could benefit from it the most (ECorp instating ECoin/WR getting his project moved to the Congo).

Both Elliot & Mr. Robot realized this at different times. Mr. Robot saw this when he came to the realization that stage 2 had been taken over by Tyrell/DA and had been taken to an extreme Mr. Robot was ultimately never okay with. In fact, even his initial plan of simply bombing the one location was designed to not have anyone in the building (or so he thought/hoped). It was cemented when Irving took Mr. Robot to that ritzy high-scale party & Mr. Robot saw that while the country was literally burning, they were having a party while a dead mistress was rotting in the bathroom.

Elliot, however, came to this realization in the first episode of the season. However, at that time, Elliot had no idea there was anyway to reverse what he'd done or to make the world better for the mass populace. The only avenue available to him to accomplish what he wanted was to ensure that the digitizing of the paper records would go down & tried to safe guard that effort from Mr.R/DA/Tyrell. Didn't work. And the guilt of the subsequent attack, that he was somehow the mastermind behind fucking up the world around him even further, caused him to almost go through with what he did in the 8th episode.

The final street convo is both for Darlene, who is actually more naive than Elliot, and for the audience, so as to not have any misconceptions on what the reversing of 5/9 was going to do to the world.
In short, I'm in no way suggesting this reset would hurt the people he was originally targeting. I think at most this eases his guilt but probably does virtually nothing to help the public caught in the crossfire. Not in the short term at least. I think Elliot's naive if he thinks ECorp and others won't use another huge financial disruption to their advantage.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think it's getting slimmer by the year. I feel as if time travel was used this season as a literary device to show how each character had regrets: 1) Elliot who actually can undo his actions, but will likely be naive about the effects of such actions on a crippled economy (heh nice touch to have Superman turning back time to save Lois), 2) Angela believing so hard that whiterose can take her back into a time where her mother was alive, and believing so hard that these people won't be killed because time travel will just happen. 3) Price witnessing that whiterose had to destroy so much just to get what she wants and is actually the most realistic of all characters. He knows he can't go backwards, so he has to find a way to fix everything. I could probably find some more about the ways that Time Travel is used as a literary device on other characters.

EDIT - Not to mention, Sam Esmail himself admitted it would be too late to introduce Time Travel, which I'm assuming means he's going to build an arc for whiterose where she will find out the cold hard truth that it simply isn't possible.

but what if he's just trolling

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Look, I don't even have the energy to put int the effort to convey how much excitement I got from this episode through text, so I'm not even going to try.

Vera returning at the end was the most holy shit thing ever.

I was scared for a sec that it was going to be that black guy from season 2.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm from the UK, but live in Cambodia. I pretty much immediately thought that that cover of bang bang sounded Khmer in both the language and the style, but I wasn't certain until I checked.

https://youtu.be/IZ0SizH2B_g

Cambodia in the 60s had a pretty killer music scene, with jaunty rhythms and bouncy lilting lyrics.

If you liked that there's loads of other great khmer music you should check out.

Ros Sereysothea is probably my favourite singer https://youtu.be/EnhI1LGuqTE

Sinn Sisamouth did a great cover of the house of the rising sun https://youtu.be/QOBoJJgeyQY

And Yol Aularong does some pretty fun songs too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EG5ihiD6Y

Kind of a shame that there's not much of this type of music scene here these days, but giving the nation's history, it's not a surprise that it's not still around.

If you want to know more, there's a great documentary "Don't Think I've Forgotten: Cambodia's Lost Rock and Roll". Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipq4FefX5Ps

Not sure if there's some intended significance of going with Khmer music with regards to the story, but Esmail is always up to something.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Dom blaming Darlene was a heavy hit to my hopes of wanting Dom to actually work together on their side.

Though at some point she'll come to realize that Dark Army is the one she should be blaming right?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
People have been saying it. The time travel is a misdirection by Esmail. But it did kind of relate to that final clue for Elliot.

Bobby Cannavalle brings me back his Boardwalk Empire role.
Nooooooo. Darlene and Dom ship is sinking.......

Huh Vera

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
According to Google translate he added some sound or word to "Take care or her" My GF speaks some mandarin (she's chinese but speaks mostly Cantonese) and she thought it was an odd phrase and couldn't figure out what they were saying beyond the first words "take care" and "ta" which is he or she. Curious if it's on purpose

Hi Mandarin first language here. I noticed that additional syllable at the end too but it sounded to me more like the actor doing a clumsy job at Chinese (it's heavily accented and it's pretty clear he isn't a native speaker) than some sort of extra meaning. "Take care of her" was definitely the intention.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Also are people here buying into the "Angela is Price's daughter" theory that's been strengthened by the flashback from tonight, where Price looks at Angela then hires AllSafe? When I saw that I was under the impression that Whiterose told Price to hire AllSafe because of the connection to Elliot. Whether that's just because his father was part of Washington Township or because she actually knew about fsociety this early on, I'm not certain - maybe someone with a better grasp of the timeline can help me out here.

lol oops

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Nice finale. I'm guessing Vera and his crew might become muscle for Elliot to take down the Dark Army. Vera vs. Leon. I don't want any of them to lose :P

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I got a bit of a Quentin Tarantino vibe from this episode. Perhaps it was just a choice of music in one scene.

Yeah, as LewieP mentioned, it was a Cambodian version of Bang Bang (they used the original in Kill Bill). The entire thing in the barn did have a bit of Reservoir dogs feel to it with that sort of
mexican stand off and talks of moles. It also reminds a bit of the opening scene in Inglorious Bastards with the dude chopping wood and Hans Landa arriving in a car. Definitely a Tarantino homage.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Glad that whatshisface is back. I knew who it was as soon as I heard his voice. To me, the show was best when it focused on smaller issues at the beginning of season one, and I hope it gets back to that with him coming back. Think it went too big, too soon.

White Rose and her motivations are so murky and I wish the storyline would get dropped. I'm also happy that the beef between Elliot and Mr. Robot is finished. That's just too confusing and it felt convoluted. Keep them on the same side, please. No more keeping secrets from yourself.

With that said, I loved this episode and season. This is coming from someone who was ready to call it quits after season two (still think it was mediocre).

Also I'm glad this season didn't have a big, lame "mindfuck" twist. I don't think you can count Angela finding out dude was her father counts.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Question:
The dark army doesn't need the effects of 5/9 because they only needed it to have something to offer for Price (the support of ecoin) to have the UN vote approved?

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
A really intense episode particularly the stuff with Dom and Darlene because they both seemed to be the characters whose deaths you could see happening in a finale.

Like everyone else I'm really interested to see where they go with Vera being back. Also Dom's final confrontation with Darlene was cold-blooded. She's obviously was lashing out because of what went down with Irving. I think in the end she will have to team up Elliot as it will be the only way out of her current situation.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
Quite a somber finale. I had to go back and remember some of the specific details (the blank disc for example) but it's great it comes back together from the fallout of the S1 finale. The question now becomes, what will they do to stop whiterose?

She seems mad hatter as fuck. I would like to see the show go more in-depth as to why she is fixated on turning back time or whatever the fuck she wants to do.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a somber finale. I had to go back and remember some of the specific details (the blank disc for example) but it's great it comes back together from the fallout of the S1 finale. The question now becomes, what will they do to stop whiterose?

She seems mad hatter as fuck. I would like to see the show go more in-depth as to why she is fixated on turning back time or whatever the fuck she wants to do.

They've done a Tyrell episode. I want to see a White Rose focused episode.

Oct 26, 2017

As much as I wanted to see Stage 2 execute, it pales in comparison to wanting to see Elliot destroy the Dark Army.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pretty funny that I started showing this show to my girlfriend and the last episode we watched before I watched the finale was the one where Vera gets arrested.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that was crazy.

What an awesome show indeed. Such a remarkable blend of suspense, weirdness, psychological thriller, comedy. Some of the earlier episodes in this season felt like fever dreams.