• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Dom was supposed to be drowning in her own blood yet was still able to talk just fine after like 10+ minutes (she should have been getting worse with each passing minute), and was able to take the knife out of her own chest, cut the leg of an assassin, steal his gun, shoot him, shoot another assassin across the room, and then shoot yet another assassin behind her without even looking? All after she coordinated a super secret plan to save her family and kill all the other assassins?

God was dumb as hell.

The drama between Elliot and Mr. Robot is well done but everything else about this season is sketchy AF.
I totally agree with this sentiment. I've been watching the show but haven't posted in this topic because there are a lot of moments I've been shaking my head at in this season and know I'll get dog piled on for going against the grain and complaining about them. Quite honestly I've been hate watching it, but I've seen the whole series and want to see it through till the end. However I feel it's the weakest season of the show, as Mr.Robot was something I really used to enjoy. I've completely fallen out of love with it at this point but it's all good.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Because that's what predators say to their underage victims and said victims internalize that. What is not to understand here?
What I didn't understand is why Elliot kept insisting on that when in previous seasons he has shown a clear disdain for his father. He seemed to already have knowledge about his father abusing him in some way, ever since the ending of season 1. Then there was a scene somewhere in season 3 where he had a vision, or a memory of his father dying who begged him for forgiveness, and Elliot told him he'll never forgive him. We were also led to believe that Mr Robot was some sort of mirror of his father, and Mr. Robot too was very abusive to Elliot at many points in the show. And now during the session with Krista he kept saying he and his father were good friends, and his father abuse came to him as revelatory, which to me seemed to go against so much what they've shown previously in the show.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
What I didn't understand is why Elliot kept insisting on that when in previous seasons he has shown a clear disdain for his father. He seemed to already have knowledge about his father abusing him in some way, ever since the ending of season 1. Then there was a scene somewhere in season 3 where he had a vision, or a memory of his father dying who begged him for forgiveness, and Elliot told him he'll never forgive him. We were also led to believe that Mr Robot was some sort of mirror of his father, and Mr. Robot too was very abusive to Elliot at many points in the show. And now during the session with Krista he kept saying he and his father were good friends, and his father abuse came to him as revelatory, which to me seemed to go against so much what they've shown previously in the show.

Huh? When was Elliot ever in disdain towards his father? In season 1 episode 1, Elliot said the following:

"Ron: That's...my personal life

Elliot: I understand what it's like to be different. I'm very different too. I mean, I don't jerk off to little kids, but... I don't know how to talk to people. My dad was the only one I could talk to."

And there have been many references to Edward Alderson saying nice things to Elliot (which you can now re-interpret as him grooming Elliot).

I think you are confusing Mr. Robot for Edward Alderson, when they are two distinct characters (Mr. Robot is made in the vision of Elliot's father but he is ultimately not his father). The disdain Elliot shows in the end is with Mr. Robot controlling everything and intentionally hiding memories away from Elliot (case in point, when 5/9 was executed against Elliot's wishes). Furthermore, Mr. Robot is built to represent the more aggressive parts of Elliot's personality.

Also, the scene in season 3 you mentioned isn't quite as clear as you think. We know now that Mr. Robot has existed ever since the abuse happened, and is there to protect Elliot. So naturally, the scene should be interpreted as Mr. Robot (rather than Elliot) talking to Edward Alderson.

Which leads to the final point, the abuse is relevatory to Elliot because Mr. Robot prevented these memories from ever being accessible to Elliot. For the longest time, Elliot was led to believe that his memories of his father were positive, when in reality it was the fact that Edward was a pedophile and abused him. Mr. Robot did so thinking that he would protect Elliot from a mental breakdown.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? When was Elliot ever in disdain towards his father? In season 1 episode 1, Elliot said the following:

"Ron: That's...my personal life

Elliot: I understand what it's like to be different. I'm very different too. I mean, I don't jerk off to little kids, but... I don't know how to talk to people. My dad was the only one I could talk to."

And there have been many references to Edward Alderson saying nice things to Elliot (which you can now re-interpret as him grooming Elliot).

I think you are confusing Mr. Robot for Edward Alderson, when they are two distinct characters (Mr. Robot is made in the vision of Elliot's father but he is ultimately not his father). The disdain Elliot shows in the end is with Mr. Robot controlling everything and intentionally hiding memories away from Elliot (case in point, when 5/9 was executed against Elliot's wishes). Furthermore, Mr. Robot is built to represent the more aggressive parts of Elliot's personality.

Also, the scene in season 3 you mentioned isn't quite as clear as you think. We know now that Mr. Robot has existed ever since the abuse happened, and is there to protect Elliot. So naturally, the scene should be interpreted as Mr. Robot (rather than Elliot) talking to Edward Alderson.

Which leads to the final point, the abuse is relevatory to Elliot because Mr. Robot prevented these memories from ever being accessible to Elliot. For the longest time, Elliot was led to believe that his memories of his father were positive, when in reality it was the fact that Edward was a pedophile and abused him. Mr. Robot did so thinking that he would protect Elliot from a mental breakdown.
It's true, the show has (up until now) led me to believe that Mr. Robot was more or less what his father was actually like. And he wasn't all that good towards Elliot a lot of the time, so I assumed that his father wasn't either. But even without that, for me (and I thought for Elliot also), the seed of doubt was planted from the end of season 1, when it's revealed that father pushed him out of the window - or at least was in the room when Elliot jumped, as Darlene later told him. That said, I admit it's very possible that I wasn't shocked by the revelation in 407 simply because I wasn't paying enough attention in the show, and mistakenly made assumptions that just turned out to be right by accident.

Last edited:

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Child molesters usually have a type, and Darlene would have only been 4-ish at the time.

Yeah I think she didn't know, she's always bringing up their dad to Elliot in positive ways. I could see a young Elliot keeping it from her to protect her like when he had her hide in the closet. Seems cause for her to be suspicious.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Getting around to watch more episodes of Emergence and LMAO the actress who played Janice is in the fourth episode as...

A hacker.

EDIT:
And...

Apparently dies at the end of it from being shot, I think. Episode aired weeks ago but still... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
no because she's still a cop
TaUfBvy.gif

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Perfection lol

I'm still convinced the other one is simply young Elliot. Can't see it being another personality that is only revealed in the last 3 episodes, and who would have did stuff without anyone since the beginning, they already just did that with Mr Robot hiding the truth to Elliot.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
Perfection lol

I'm still convinced the other one is simply young Elliot. Can't see it being another personality that is only revealed in the last 3 episodes, and who would have did stuff without anyone since the beginning, they already just did that with Mr Robot hiding the truth to Elliot.
I still feel like it's just true Elliot. The one who does remember everything, not the personality wall he puts up that he believes because he's a hacker.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I still feel like it's just true Elliot. The one who does remember everything, not the personality wall he puts up that he believes because he's a hacker.
Oooooohhhhh, now that I would like...

Like his actual true self would have been handling things in the background from the beginning, creating the other personalities including "not knowing everything Elliot"? Yeah that could be quite interesting

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Yeah, also think that the third personality is actual Elliot - guy we've been following is just a "proxy" set up since the server incident. Also, we most likely have seen actual Elliot at least once or twice during the series, already.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, also think that the third personality is actual Elliot - guy we've been following is just a "proxy" set up since the server incident. Also, we most likely have seen actual Elliot at least once or twice during the series, already.
The loneliness moments he has when he's crying by himself I feel like are partial glimpses of the trauma we see

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Which incident are you refering to ? Sorry my memory isn't the most fresh on previous seasons
At his job previous to All Safe, his coworkers locked him in the server room overnight and he trashed it. That's why he was on probation and in mandatory therapy at the beginning of the show.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Which incident are you refering to ? Sorry my memory isn't the most fresh on previous seasons

It's something that happened a bit prior to the beginning of the series, Elliot got locked into a server room and wrecked the whole place. That's why he has the sessions with Krista. "Elliot" has no recollection of what the fuck actually happened.

During 104 withdrawal hallucination dinner thing with Angela, she mentions that he was born "a month ago".

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
At his job previous to All Safe, his coworkers locked him in the server room overnight and he trashed it. That's why he was on probation and in mandatory therapy at the beginning of the show.
It's something that happened a bit prior to the beginning of the series, Elliot got locked into a server room and wrecked the whole place. That's why he has the sessions with Krista. "Elliot" has no recollection of what the fuck actually happened.

During 104 withdrawal hallucination dinner thing with Angela, she mentions that he was born "a month ago".
Holy shit thanks, I absolutely did not remember this or the dream sequence, damn this show is gonna be so rewatchable once its finished
Damn Angela's dialogue in the dream sequence, the key etc... wow I'm stuned lol. Did the scene actually finish like that? With Angela's voice bugging and she starts to tell him "you're not Elliot, you're....;" ?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit thanks, I absolutely did not remember this or the dream sequence, damn this show is gonna be so rewatchable once its finished
Damn Angela's dialogue in the dream sequence, the key etc... wow I'm stuned lol. Did the scene actually finish like that? With Angela's voice bugging and she starts to tell him "you're not Elliot, you're....;" ?

Yup.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny the hallucination episode has so many clues to the future of the series and yet it's the worst rated episode of all of them on IMDB.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
How many people have a problem with Whiterose's project being an "out there" reality thing? I'm all for it at this point tbh.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
How many people have a problem with Whiterose's project being an "out there" reality thing? I'm all for it at this point tbh.

I've got a friend that's pretty opposed to it but also wasn't all that hot about the 407 reveal saying "That's it?". For me it'd be like having my cake and eating it too, and a quantum computer can theoretically generate alternate worlds/people. (That's what I think it is anyway, a way to cherry pick from parallel/alternate universes in either a simulated or "real" way.)

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that could just be "you're Mr. Robot", and is in fact likely to be that unless they retcon/reframe it. At that time we (and Elliot) were not supposed to know Mr Robot is not a real physical person.

I've got a friend that's pretty opposed to it but also wasn't all that hot about the 407 reveal saying "That's it?". For me it'd be like having my cake and eating it too, and a quantum computer can theoretically generate alternate worlds/people. (That's what I think it is anyway, a way to cherry pick from parallel/alternate universes in either a simulated or "real" way.)
Am I your friend, lol? I think White Rose is deluded or at least wrong in the assumption that whatever that machine is doing will actually work. I think it would be best if it was left unexplored, and out of the realm of total Sci-fi, just like True Detective S1 would be weaker if real Chuthulhy manifested for real at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Am I your friend, lol? I think White Rose is deluded or at least wrong in the assumption that whatever that machine is doing will actually work. I think it would be best if it was left unexplored, and out of the realm of total Sci-fi, just like True Detective S1 would be weaker if real Chuthulhy manifested for real at the end of the season.
Yeah, in my opinion the show doesn't turn sci-fi until we see her machine actually works. For now she's a heart broken mad scientist.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
OMG lol, thank you for this! And yeah Dom remains the most interesting character, and has been probably ever since they've introduced her. I can see the complaint that she pulled off the impossible stunt with Janice, but really, she's a badass - it's been shown that she's a badass before, and remained composed and effective under extreme stress. We probably wouldn't complain about this if John McClane pulled it off, and she's that kind of character IMO.

Yeah, in my opinion the show doesn't turn sci-fi until we see her machine actually works. For now she's a heart broken mad scientist.
I believe that whatever happens with that machine will also be White Rose's undoing. I think she'll die trying to get it to work.

That would be interesting, and they probably could pull it off even if it wasn't planned since the beginning. I remember being amused in the very first episode by Elliot's ability to 'reprogram' himself to see and hear "Evil-Corp" anytime the "E-Corp" appears in real life, so we as the viewer through his eyes see and hear the same thing. They've kind of dropped that later though.

Last edited:

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London

Oh shit, I completely forgot about that. I can't wait to watch this series all over again.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After this last episode I think Mr. Robot's hat symbolizes Aggro (Hat On) vs Defense (Hat Off) methods of protection- it's two sides of the same coin and personality. "I can't protect you anymore" came from hat-on Mr. Robot.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, did they switch it at some point?

The Mr Robot that pleads with Krista has no hat on the entire time. When he was 'barking' as Vera put it earlier, he did. The cocky, in your face Mr Robot always has the hat. Protective Mr Robot, like when Elliot is going through withdrawals, doesn't have it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mr Robot that pleads with Krista has no hat on the entire time. When he was 'barking' as Vera put it earlier, he did. The cocky, in your face Mr Robot always has the hat. Protective Mr Robot, like when Elliot is going through withdrawals, doesn't have it.
Ok yeah he has the hat on at the start of the Krista therapy session and it comes off during it when he starts talking to Elliot instead.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
man I cant get over that scenario in episode 7. Vera forcing a therapy session between elliot and krista? who woulda guessed that shit???

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I know, it's almost like it's something you'd pick up on the first time through but I really didn't see it lol.
I knew there was something weird going on when I watched it. The scenes with his mom in the house were especially weird. I knew it wasn't reality. I didn't guess prison but I knew that wasn't what was going on.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Can someone .gif me Dom cutting that guys Achilles heel then headshotting everyone in the room. I feel like it happened to fast to savor. "Ta ta for now you flange!"

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

I think it depends more on execution than anything else, really. As it is right now, it's mostly a MacGuffin, so it is fine no matter what it is. If it becomes central to the story, that might change.

That said, Whiterose has already implied that it "works" to some degree, she says that Edward was pivotal for some of the earlier successes with the project. So, here's my (current) pet theory on what it is:

When she said she "hacks time", she's actually playing it straight, not being cheeky about punctuality and having a really tightly scheduled life. In what was most likely an attempt to prevent her lover's death, she found a way to hack time, and I'm guessing she's doing so using quantum mechanics.

One of the previous episodes showed a board scribbled with a bunch of equations and some diagrams, and a lot of it had to do with quantum probability. There's this really fringe quantum mechanics theory that posits that quantum effects might be able to violate causality, effectively sending information backwards and/or forwards in time. Entangled particles can synchronize their states through space instantaneously regardless of distance, for instance - and maybe they can do so through time as well.

Idea here is that maybe she found a way to entangle particles with those in the past. Change a state here, nudge a probability there and boom, change an event in the past. Changes butterfly effect through time. Manipulating time without time travel.

That test Angela went through? What if they changed a bunch of stuff in the past and are testing if they got the results they were expecting?