• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I think it depends more on execution than anything else, really. As it is right now, it's mostly a MacGuffin, so it is fine no matter what it is. If it becomes central to the story, that might change.

That said, Whiterose has already implied that it "works" to some degree, she says that Edward was pivotal for some of the earlier successes with the project. So, here's my (current) pet theory on what it is:

When she said she "hacks time", she's actually playing it straight, not being cheeky about punctuality and having a really tightly scheduled life. In what was most likely an attempt to prevent her lover's death, she found a way to hack time, and I'm guessing she's doing so using quantum mechanics.

One of the previous episodes showed a board scribbled with a bunch of equations and some diagrams, and a lot of it had to do with quantum probability. There's this really fringe quantum mechanics theory that posits that quantum effects might be able to violate causality, effectively sending information backwards and/or forwards in time. Entangled particles can synchronize their states through space instantaneously regardless of distance, for instance - and maybe they can do so through time as well.

Idea here is that maybe she found a way to entangle particles with those in the past. Change a state here, nudge a probability there and boom, change an event in the past. Changes butterfly effect through time. Manipulating time without time travel.

That test Angela went through? What if they changed a bunch of stuff in the past and are testing if they got the results they were expecting?
That's what I expect as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Pier/boardwalk scene where Mr. Robot pushes Elliot off the railing.

Mr. Robot asking him to talk about his father as a way to pay off his debt was, in a way, him trying to get himself to face what happened. When Elliot gives the redacted version of the events, he pushes himself (jumps, actually) as punishment.

It's interesting to read Mr. Robot as he listens. It's pretty clear he knows the story is bullshit and he's not buying. And then there's:

"Never spoke to me after that. Couldn't even look at me."
"I understand what's like to lose a parent, it's heartbreaking."
"Do you think he was right? About hurting you that day?"

Elliot is trying to process his trauma and ends up doing something self-destructive when he can't face it.

Last edited:

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Pier/boardwalk scene where Mr. Robot pushes Elliot off the railing.

Mr. Robot asking him to talk about his father as a way to pay off his debt was, in a way, him trying to get himself to face what happened. When Elliot gives the redacted version of the events, he pushes himself (jumps, actually) as punishment.

It's interesting to read Mr. Robot as he listens. It's pretty clear he knows the story is bullshit and he's not buying. And then there's:

"Never spoke to me after that. Couldn't even look at me."
"I understand what's like to lose a parent, it's heartbreaking."
"Do you think he was right? About hurting you that day?"

Elliot is trying to process his trauma and ends up doing something self-destructive when he can't face it.

Insightful, it's clear Elliot wasn't ready to face it, and still wasn't when he did in 407. Had a couple other things to reconcile with first.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any talk of this show getting a 4k HDR release, bluray or digital? This show is so beautiful but the picture quality is starting to bother me next to Apple TV+ lol.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit, I know they're busy, but how about they just load up that USB...

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
84d.gif

how are there still 4 episodes after that what the FUCK

T-Money

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i love this show so much.

some of the direction and cinematography in that episode was next level. those tracking shots whewwwww

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty much a season finale episode and there is still four episodes to go. Also holy shit the music tonight was on fucking point.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Man, if these last 4 episodes can remotely stick the landing, this is a final season for the ages. Every episode is absolutely killing it.

Nov 1, 2017
Really didn't like the "triumphant" music over the big hack sequence. Was just too much. Other than that, decent episode. Kinda suffered from the typical hacker genre pitfall of all the action being boiled down to people typing on keyboards. A bit inert visually.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this was how shit would go down in the real world. That was super satisfying to see play out.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
That was really stressful. I loved Price this episode. "Bad management"

How the fuck are there 4 episodes left?

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I though the music was great and helped to make the big hacking scene towards the end entertaining.

Beautiful to see Elliot/Darlene pull off the hack and Price able to get the last laugh on White Rose before ....u know.

Trump reference during the Deus meeting and sounded like an El Camino reference as well.

Also like how they played with audience expectations by showing the waitress going for the smoke break, and assuming that was a possible way for Darlene to infiltrate the party only for the security guard and Esmail to put the kibosh on that.

Can't wait to see what the final episodes have in store.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know it's the real shit as im sitting there going like 'holy hell this is epic series closing stuff and there are 4 episodes left' and then you read the thread and it;s the same thing. Watchmen and Mr Robot are basically a Rocky match at this point. Every week now.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
are they really gonna end this with alternate dimension stuff with "the project"

Darlene will probably die, setting up a scenario where Elliot has to let go of all of his pain, including the death of his sister, by destroying the machine... or make the project work to 'bring them back'

my theory on how they will set up the final conflict.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Sundays in 2019 are legendary. I also love that the christmas season of Mr. Robot will end at the end of the christmas season.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Big series wins with 4 episodes left means fuckery afoot. Shit's probably gonna end bleak.

There's a preview image of Elliot sitting across from Mr. Robot at the same Commodore unit that White Rose / Young Angela initiated Angela. Maybe that confirms that she (or some version of her) is still alive and that Elliot is going to play God by continuing to use the machine.

Maybe Mr. Robot is an alter created by the machine just like Angela, and that Elliot prime is asleep at the wheel? Christ I'm spiraling.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hat-on being part of the trinity personality was such a "duh" thing. Of course the other copy of the dad was the one we'd seen before.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We are witnessing one of the best, if not, dare I say it, the best ending for a TV show ever conceived.
I have no words to describe the sheer, absolute, simple perfection of these last few episodes.
I have Watchmen ready but I think I would do a disservice to it by watching it right after Mr. Robot. I have to rest my brain first.