• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the A campaign he's there only long enough for you to wrap up two puzzles, complete your major objective and promptly despawns. Like I get it, but the idea of Mr. X is so much worse than the reality of dealing with him. As long as you plan your routes and you keep a few flash bangs on hand in case he does decide to turn up somewhere shitty, he can be trivialized pretty easily.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Police station would be empty without him. On hardcore difficulty there are more than enough tense moments, when he appear at the same time, while you are trying to run away from the zombies and lickers.
I cannot wait to read all of the complaints about Nemesis after Remake 3 is released. :)

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree that he's not really "scary" but I do think he works for what the game really intends which is to force the player into feeling a sense of urgency.

If it was the whole game it would be really annoying after awhile but thankfully it's really not that long of a section, just power through it.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually relieved to hear he is "easy" in this game.

I was on the fence of getting this because from the reviews it seemed like he was a significant part of the game and I wasn't sure I wanted that type of stress.

OP
OP
Stuart Gipp

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Hes too easy

Well if he was too hard he would be frustrating

He is so easy I cant go places

but hes easy...

He is so easy that I dropped the game

wait what?

I really feel as though I was pretty clear. He's easy, but he's a wall between me and objectives. He's time-consuming, and I don't think that's the same as being "hard". When I last booted up the game I found him directly in the path of where I needed to go multiple times, forcing a retreat. It wasn't scary, it wasn't difficult, it was just an annoyance.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I was really enjoying the game until he showed up.

It feels like there's no risk of him killing me, because I'm faster than him even when hobbling at low health, and he's easy to kite. When he shows up, it's not frightening. He's just acting as a pointless, threat-free wall to navigate around. If I'm heading towards an objective and I hear those footsteps, welp. Guess I can't go there yet. His presence has made the game tiresome.

I love basically everything else about this game but his existence is such a profound negative mark against it that I've dropped it for now. I've never seen anything other than praise for the Mr X mechanic. Am I missing something? Has anyone else felt this way?
RUINED it? really?

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of the reasons why I haven't got RE2 Remake yet, he just looks annoying. Backtracking in games can be annoying enough without someone blocking off corridors.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm actually relieved to hear he is "easy" in this game.

I was on the fence of getting this because from the reviews it seemed like he was a significant part of the game and I wasn't sure I wanted that type of stress.

You can seriously play around with him once you're a bit familiar. Already on my second playthrough I realized you can do things like stand behind a door he opens and he has such tunnel vision, he'll walk right past you for you to be able to slowly open and walk through the same door he came into.

Might not work in EVERY room, but it works like a charm in hallways and I've done it quite a bit.

Also if you're in a tight spot, you can easily bait him into an attack, which has a large wind-up and cool-down for him, and just run around him. Seriously, he's not that agile or fast. He also doesn't deal OHKOs or anything.

I think the imposing presence on your first playthrough is way more intimidating and stress-inducing than what he can actually can do to you and/or what he is to deal with.

Edit: And to reiterate, I hated the concept on 'paper', was pleasantly surprised how little he's actually around in a first playthrough and have come to actually think it's an integral part of the game that works in most ways that can't be assumed based on descriptions.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I can see him being annoying for your first blind run though route A and B but if you play after that he's nothing. You can delay him showing up and he only sticks around for a few minutes. Plus he is SUPER easy to bait and run past.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really feel as though I was pretty clear. He's easy, but he's a wall between me and objectives. He's time-consuming, and I don't think that's the same as being "hard". When I last booted up the game I found him directly in the path of where I needed to go multiple times, forcing a retreat. It wasn't scary, it wasn't difficult, it was just an annoyance.
You literally were complaining about walking speeds and the ability to kite him, saying he was too easy, a "threat-free wall to navigate around". So dont give me the "I was really clear" when the op literally has nothing in the way of time constraints other than "Guess I can't go there yet. His presence has made the game tiresome", which again you claim you can kite him well enough, but not well enough to get where you want to go? I honestly dont get the critique cause it really isnt explained all that well in detail, I assume youre still in the station given hes gone after a while, but I know a bunch of areas in the station have multiple ways to go around, so I dont know what part you are specifically being snagged at. Its more about adjusting to the situation, really he can be threatening if the situation is bad

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Hes too easy

Well if he was too hard he would be frustrating

He is so easy I cant go places

but hes easy...

He is so easy that I dropped the game

wait what?
I kind of get it though. I think OP means Mr X adds more delay than tension. The goal behind his presence is to disrupt plans and push the player to adapt under pressure, but that doesn't always happen in practice. If the tension doesn't grab a hold of you, he essentially becomes a chore that merely postpones your goal.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
He certainly didn't ruin the game for me but he is annoying and unnecessary. Bear in mind this is coming from someone who adores RE but doesn't really enjoy 3 because of Tyrant.

I find what's really off putting about him though is the way he lingers - I recall multiple instances of trying to wait him out but he seemed to just keep pacing the same stretch of hallway repeatedly. If he was just always marching around on the move, he'd be much easier to manage.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Well, yeah. I was enjoying playing it, then he showed up, now I'm not. I don't think that's particularly controversial.

This has been a generally enlightening thread. I'll keep in mind the advice given here when I deign to go back to the game. Thanks.

Good to hear, you will learn his behaviour and he will become much less of an annoyance. It's a great game, keep at it. :)

OP
OP
Stuart Gipp

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
You literally were complaining about walking speeds and the ability to kite him, saying he was too easy, a "threat-free wall to navigate around". So dont give me the "I was really clear" when the op literally has nothing in the way of time constraints other than "Guess I can't go there yet. His presence has made the game tiresome", which again you claim you can kite him well enough, but not well enough to get where you want to go? I honestly dont get the critique cause it really isnt explained all that well in detail, I assume youre still in the station given hes gone after a while, but I know a bunch of areas in the station have multiple ways to go around, so I dont know what part you are specifically being snagged at. Its more about adjusting to the situation, really he can be threatening if the situation is bad

Okay. I'm sorry if I didn't express my thoughts clearly enough. I can see where you're coming from and ultimately this thread has given me plenty of food for thought.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely felt he was annoying, but his presence definitely shakes things up a bit on your second visit to the police station. Having run through all versions of the game on standard, I now appreciate what he brings to the game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I agree, and on top of that even if he does catches you...all he does is punch you. It's not even an insta kill (which admittedly would suck). I don't know what it's like on hardest difficulty but I was able to take 3 hits atleast without healing on normal.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I was really enjoying the game until he showed up.

It feels like there's no risk of him killing me, because I'm faster than him even when hobbling at low health, and he's easy to kite. When he shows up, it's not frightening. He's just acting as a pointless, threat-free wall to navigate around. If I'm heading towards an objective and I hear those footsteps, welp. Guess I can't go there yet. His presence has made the game tiresome.

I love basically everything else about this game but his existence is such a profound negative mark against it that I've dropped it for now. I've never seen anything other than praise for the Mr X mechanic. Am I missing something? Has anyone else felt this way?

First playthrough i thought Mr. X was awesome. Made the game so intense.

On my b - run, i kinda agree with you.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try using this mod?

mr-x-mod-re2.jpg
Dear lord.....lol. This mod plus the "X gon give it to ya" mod would have me in tears.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Also, he can't see through glass panes it seems. He kind of busted me in the West Office and I walked into the little private office in there with the windows and blinds and just stood behind that to see what would happen.

He stopped at the door pointing towards weapon storage room, turned around and looked at the office I was standing in, didn't see me and proceeded through the door.

Moments like this have actually been surprisingly fun I think in the context of the game's splendid level design and puzzle-ish nature.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mr. X and the reanimating zombies are the primary reasons I loved this game. Created a tense game where you never really knew what was coming next, and there was always a feeling that the game could throw something new and unexpected at you.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I actually thought he added a lot to the game. The thing is although he's easy to avoid there were times when I panicked and went through the wrong door only to end up in a dead-end and getting punched.

I liked him.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Jack Baker was way better as a stalker. I agree that once you're past the initial reveal he's just mildly annoying.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Stuart Gipp, make sure to follow this up with your impressions if you give it another shot.

Curious to see how you'll approach the situations and feel about it after some of the input in this thread. For me, it just took really learning what the game was throwing at me. It's built for repeated playthroughs and begs to be learned in and out and half the fun so far for me has been being efficient, urgent and really exploiting its enemies. It's been addictive and fun as hell once I 'bent' to the game's systems.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
He has his moments, but he overstays his welcome. I would have much preferred a "randomly appears" mechanic where he could pop up at any time. Instead the opted for a a stretch where he is literally always following you for an hour or two, which, like you said, gets very tiresome when you have an objective to do and he's just in the way.

I think he'd be cooler if you unloaded on him he goes away for at least an hour and stop chasing you.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. X is just a timer mechanic, a "hurry up and move around the map fast, do not stop too long".

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
X is great, hell if anything, he isn't quite aggressive enough to my taste. I'd still like a higher difficulty mode where he's slightly faster and can enter all rooms.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Also, he can't see through glass panes it seems. He kind of busted me in the West Office and I walked into the little private office in there with the windows and blinds and just stood behind that to see what would happen.

He stopped at the door pointing towards weapon storage room, turned around and looked at the office I was standing in, didn't see me and proceeded through the door.

Moments like this have actually been surprisingly fun I think in the context of the game's splendid level design and puzzle-ish nature.

I remember looking through the West Office glass door pane too and he suddenly walked straight past the door in the corridor without coming in.

There are loads of great moments created out the scenario.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's cool, maybe overstays his welcome a little bit, but still a cool addition. I remember my reaction when he first entered the main hall in Leon A - but this is a safe area! xD

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Maybe he himself isn't that dangerous but if he shows up at the wrong time when you're dealing with other shit, it can get pretty intense.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just learn how to face him instead of avoiding him. Instead of hiding in a room till he leaves or something, learn how to juke him and get by him. If you're Claire literally just shoot him with a single acid round. The hardest part about Mr. X isn't even him, it's the Lickers and zombies. Chances are you didn't take care of either of them before he shows up so they're gonna fuck you up. It's actually kind of brilliant.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Mr X really doesn't have that much presence in the game, like seriously.

You finish some puzzles and then you won't see Mr. X again. I was actually disappointed because from the previews and some members in here I assumed I'd be terrified of him for HOURS.

Also as you said, it's really easy to not get hit by him.

Well, on Leon A I was messing around just watching the details and enjoying walking everywhere and backtracking so when he DID show up, I had a bunch of things pending on the "to-do list" that I had to...

Well. Do.

With him always nearby. I think it was like 2 hours of constant high tension.

AMAZING.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Something else that I don't like about Mr. X. He ruins the atmosphere of the game. Up until that point in the game you can really take in the sights and sounds of the game. As soon as he does show up all of that gets thrown out the window and you're running around completing objective after objective so you don't have to deal with him again.

There's a hallway on the third floor with an open window. The wind is blowing through it there's rain coming through it. It sounds and looks amazing. But Mr. X shows up and things like that get lost in exchange for an updated version of pac man (I love the post in this thread that brings up that comparison).

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I felt like I memorized the layout of the police station pretty well by the time he showed up and I just ran around him and took care of what I needed to do and he was out of the picture. The dude only really hangs around for about 30-40min of gameplay. Not a big deal to me. Plus we got the dank memes out of him.

And oh boy the Memes were good haha

(Spoiler Alert I guess? Haven't played the game myself so I can't tell.)

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
"his presence made the game tiresome"

Y'all act like this is an openworld game where he chases you for 50 hours. Rather than the quick 10-20 minute chase it is lmao

OP
OP
Stuart Gipp

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Stuart Gipp, make sure to follow this up with your impressions if you give it another shot.

Curious to see how you'll approach the situations and feel about it after some of the input in this thread. For me, it just took really learning what the game was throwing at me. It's built for repeated playthroughs and begs to be learned in and out and half the fun so far for me has been being efficient, urgent and really exploiting its enemies. It's been addictive and fun as hell once I 'bent' to the game's systems.

Will do. I genuinely appreciate the advice I've been given.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I am just wondering: Are his motifs explained during Claire's story? I have only been able to play Leon's story yet and right now I do not see why he is doing what he is doing. He is just an obstacle to me. Thanks for the answer :)

He's dropped in by umbrella to clean up witnesses. In the original game, you have a cutscene that shows an Umbrella Helicopter dropping one of 6 capsules onto the police station. Each one contains a Tyrant (Mr X). He's not the only X dropped in Racoon City, as other games in the series demonstrate. I think it was a bit jarring just having him appear in the Remake with no sort of explanation outside of a single note.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I've already played a good deal of that and found it a very different experience - as far as I could tell, if that Alien spotted me I was dead. If Mr. X spots me I just run until he buggers off.

Midgame in Alien you get the flamethrower, and then you start spooking the Xenomorph away.

It becomes exactly like Mr. X : manageable, but a threat nonetheless.

And for the whole damn game. So It's no surprise how "meh" the game was received by the general public

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Agreed up until he started to pop out from behind doors and walls unexpectedly

Last edited: