• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This shit is so over exaggerated imo. I thought it was gonna be crazy, and hours of running from him based on all of the complaints. I played through the game and out of 8ish hours in the A campaign I had to run from him for 20 minutes maybe? It's really not that hard. Move a bookshelf, kite him around the library, repeat as needed. Run up the stairs to the balcony, he cant even follow you into the clock tower, and after that all you gotta do is run back to the parking garage.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

I am at least glad there are a few places where you can chill out at where he can't enter in the Police station.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's awesome but his implementation definitely seems divisive. Maybe it would have been a good idea to have one of the scenarios not include him, but when he's introduced he makes backtracking in RPD more interesting. I appreciate that he's a (somewhat) dynamic element in a game with otherwise static enemy placement too

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I found him threatening my first time though because I didn't clear out some of the more problem areas in the station. And I loved it because it kept me on my toes and I suddenly had to plan out my routes way more carefully. If you already cleared out the station you're missing out on the true experience. I love how they introduce an enemy that you have to run from then add in more Lickers which are enemy's you have to sneak past. The game is really trying to fuck you up at that point and I love it.

And it's only like a 30-40 minute section on your first time through the A scenario so I don't get how it could ruin the whole game.

Oct 25, 2017
Play the game on Hardcore you cowards.

See how he's just kind of 'annoying' and 'not a big deal' when you can't just kill every zombie.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was only able to keep playing by replaying the game on PC using a trainer that keeps him down after shooting him. Worked great. All was well after that.

I could simply not stand it when he was around with lickers and more zombies, it was impossible.

Mar 29, 2018
He works in tandem with zombies and Lickers to punish you for lack of foresight when navigating the RPD. I don't have any complaints about him aside from the fact that there's no difficulty above Hardcore where he's entering save rooms and flipping tables over to get to you.
This post just reminded me that I'm always mad it's not called RCPD but "RPD"

Dec 6, 2017
US
Something else that I don't like about Mr. X. He ruins the atmosphere of the game. Up until that point in the game you can really take in the sights and sounds of the game. As soon as he does show up all of that gets thrown out the window and you're running around completing objective after objective so you don't have to deal with him again.

There's a hallway on the third floor with an open window. The wind is blowing through it there's rain coming through it. It sounds and looks amazing. But Mr. X shows up and things like that get lost in exchange for an updated version of pac man (I love the post in this thread that brings up that comparison).

I'd have to disagree with that a bit because on your initial playthrough, he only shows up for the home stretch of your initial visit to the PD after you've been free to soak it all in for potentially hours depending on your play style. After what boils down to about two puzzles in his presence, you even get to return later and do whatever you please to 'clean up' without him present again.

That's a lot of exploration time vs. Mr. X time.

Not so much in Scenario B, but seeing how the OP is about his/her first playthrough, I'll focus on that.

Play the game on Hardcore you cowards.

See how he's just kind of 'annoying' and 'not a big deal' when you can't just kill every zombie.

I'm on my first Hardcore run right now and I fucked with him even more than ever before, it was quite glorious. I hid in one of the shower stalls in the 2nd floor smashed wall area and he stomped right past me for example. Another lesson in his behavior.

I always knew to set up the library puzzle at this point, moving the shelves that can be moved into their optimal positions to cut down time and he didn't even have a chance to appear. Little things like that is what I dig about the game's replay value actually.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Plus, at a certain point in the game, you can calmy explore the police station and just take in the sights. That's what I did, anyway.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, yes he was annoying at times but that section would have been far too easy without him

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I love him and he has the best section in the entire game

Plus with the licker spawns creates a great dynamic between needing to run or needing to be quiet leading do amazing tense situations

Dec 6, 2017
US
Plus, at a certain point in the game, you can calmy explore the police station and just take in the sights. That's what I did, anyway.

Big point a lot of players and reviewers never mention for some reason. You're free to return later and clean up, explore and drink it in again at your own leisure without him later. Nice calm moment after the consistently ramping up drama of the previous visit.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, his change is brilliant game design. As someone who mostly dislikes backtracking in games, I put classic RE above typical Metroidvanias. (a game advertising itself as much typically guarantees that I won't touch it)

But REmake 2 tweaks the typical Metroidvania-lite formula and it's all the better for it. Your first run in the police station is learning the map. The second is putting that knowledge to the test. It's not just planning a route — dropping in Mr. X makes sure you have a contingency plan or two. Most of the time, you're just forced to go a room away or go down a hallway where you'll have enough room to juke him and you'll be back on track. It's not just knowing the way, but also the room layouts. And then, of course, there's some other nasty surprises added in the return to the station to keep you on your toes...

I love the first REmake. It was my go-to RE when I had to scratch that itch. (REmake 2 is such a joy to play that I think it has overtaken it) I feel like they tried to spice up backtracking with the crimson heads, but they just added more backtracking with the kerosene mechanic. Nemesis expanded on the original Mr X role, but he was still more situational than an everpresent threat.

Mr X with new hat is integrated perfectly into the RE2 map. He changes things up enough to keep things interesting, keeps the pace moving briskly, (something not designed around enough in modern AAA gaming) creates an interesting dynamic between moving quickly and being appropriately cautious, (because you will charge headlong into dangerously remixed rooms if you're not dillegent) and another layer of resource management. (if you opt to temporarily incapacitate him) There's literally no downside as even a completionist gets the chance to scour the map at a snail's pace later on if they so choose.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
He really doesn't stick around too long.

Especially in Claire's campaign.

I'm actually doing the 2nd run with Claire now and when X shows up I actually enjoy how it forces me to find different routes to get around the station. It really highlights how well designed that level is.
I tend to agree - horror games are always more enjoyable with higher stakes. I'm not sure why I didn't start on Hardcore mode!

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I feel like Mr. X was more aggressive in the 2nd run campaign? He just seemed to be on my ass more and, I mean, he actually killed me twice in the second run campaign which I didn't die to him once in the 1st run campaign. Anyone know if there's anything to this or was I actually just playing like shit? lol

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I love basically everything else about this game but his existence is such a profound negative mark against it that I've dropped it for now. I've never seen anything other than praise for the Mr X mechanic. Am I missing something? Has anyone else felt this way?
I really disliked the way they handled him and basically feel the same way you do. Whenever he appeared I would just lead him down some hallway long enough to buy me a minute or two to get back to what I was doing. I thought it was a really pathetic attempt at intimidating the player that fell totally flat.

It's a combination of extremely dumb, simple AI and the fact that they removed fighting as a viable option by taking away ammo drops or any kind of meaningful down time. They made it so that they only thing you could really do when he appears is just run away, and the only way that could be difficult to do is if you carelessly run straight into a hall full of enemies. There are enough alternate ways around that I was always able to use halls I had cleared to evade him.

If you can easily give him the run-around, then why is he preventing you from going places?

Like literally run around him.

There are narrow hallways where you can't get past him without being punched. That doesn't mean that he isn't comically easy to lead around and manipulate. All you have to do is get him to a room with enough space to go around him or find a room with obstacles to slow him down.

Evading Mr. X is about as hard as making a trip to an item box. The fact that it's an inconvenience doesn't mean it's difficult to do, and it certainly wasn't scary to me.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind him in Claire A, but he was real, REAL fucking annoying in Leon B. I couldn't put more than a room between us, and even if I kited him from one end of the station to the other, he'd hone right back in on me in what felt like minutes. There were long stretches of time I just couldn't progress to where I needed to go (namely the library) unless I wanted to blow a fuckload of healing items or ammo.

I was rather tired and annoyed by him in Leon B, and he nearly ruined the play through for me.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the hate. Dude basically enters the station by the time you've done just about everything there is to do before leaving it. Last part of the station is just zigzagging off to the clock tower puzzle area and then you're outie basically.

Nov 13, 2017
The only time he's annoying is when you're trying to move bookshelves. Other than that, he can be walked around, or at the very least, kited into another room that you can walk around him in.

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard this complaint a few times about the game, but once you know Mr X's patterns he is indeed negligible. In my eyes he is just a game mechanic which makes the player think about how best to navigate the area. To me his point isn't to be especially dangerous (the range of his attacks are very short), but rather to get the player thinking on their feet and make a decision between downing him momentarily to get by or learning the intricacies of the RPD. I think Mr X appears for the exact right amount of time in both the A and B scenario. Especially in the B scenario where it is presumed the player knows the route around the RPD. There are some situations where he gives you a 'thrill' but aside from that he's not especially 'scary' so much as another thing the player has to survive against (the RPD would grow stagnant by the time he shows up otherwise, due to player knowledge of the threats within), in psychology terms designers want to elicit feelings of 'flow' and a flat level of engagement does little to contribute. So, to sum up, yes, he might not remain 'scary' per say but he serves a purpose, from a design perspective; even if it is annoying for some more than others. Also, the sound design team did a fantastic job telegraphing where and when Mr X is gonna show up.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
He stressed me out until I realized all the rooms he doesn't enter. Now he's just a nuisance. Almost comedic in a way.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? If anything he elevated the game higher to me.

Mr. X makes everything so much more tense and stressful as soon as he arrives in your first playthrough, it got me disoriented as fuck. Also the fact that he was supposed to be only in Scenario B made him much more of a surprise, as someone who played the OG game to hell. His ominous teaser when crossing Ben's path and arrival, footsteps when close, ect. everything was handled perfectly imo. He seems to take a lot from Jack in RE7, except with much more freedom.

This iteration of Mr. X made me looking forward to what Capcom will do with Nemesis, a lot.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
The only time he's annoying is when you're trying to move bookshelves. Other than that, he can be walked around, or at the very least, kited into another room that you can walk around him in.
Yeah, that was the most challenging part to me. However, what I did to overcome that was bait him towards the upper part of the library so he jumps down. When he jumps and lands on the ground, that gives you some time to move a bookshelf. Rinse and repeat.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically my only negative point about the game (well, that and the lack of an actual B-route, but we already knew that wasn't going to be in).

I never felt threatened or scared, aside from the very first encounter in which I though "oh shit, that can't be good". After that, I was only annoyed for having to go the long way around him. Sometimes I would just say fuck it and take the punch in a corridor and keep going past him (the only times he ever damaged me).

People make all those DMX videos but it actually should be a different tune. I was shaking my head the whole time I was doing the library thing with Leon, it was literally a Benny Hill sketch. And then literally running like twice around a truck with Claire, waiting for a door to be available.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I like that sound cue you get when he shows up, but yeah he's more of an annoyance than a threat. At least he's easy to fool.

joghia

Nov 3, 2017
Ruined Claire A for me. I haven't touched the game in a couple of weeks now. Gonna go back to it at some point but I don't need that in my life right now haha.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Nemesis still is the bigger threat. It gets you on the floor and it can basically keep you there until it kills you by grabbing you when you try to stand up.

Pain in the neck because Nemesis is right on you at the door if you hide in a safe room when you try to leave.

I agree with op because X ruins the game to explore and stock up on items. I cam see how it would prevent some folks from getting all the ammo they can for later.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found Mr. X to be terrifying, even though I knew he could only knock down a bit of my health at a time in the worst-case scenario. The psychological tension of having an invincible enemy type that will track you down throughout an entire area definitely upped the tension for me.

It sounds like OP has a problem getting immersed in games.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of stalker type enemies or games but Mr. X was handled well. Alone he's not an issue and an annoyance. An avoidable annoyance. The great part is the pressure he puts on you to really plan out your routes. The lickers and zombies are the real issue when X shows up and puts you into a tough situation.

He's really not in the game that long. I thought he was handled really well.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
As others have said, once you learn the game and are on a second playthrough, you hardly even see him aside from a few scripted moments. On my S+ Leon A run, I think I went from his introduction to the sewers in 10-15 minutes? The only area where he's an issue is in the library when you have to move the bookcases.

Maybe that defeats his purpose, but boy it's satisfying to turn that fear from your first run into something that you maneuver around with ease.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dont understand how he got stuck in the Stars corridor in the B scenario. Like he's just walking back and forth between the women's shower and the Linen room, and can't go anywhere cause of the hot steam and locked door. It's hilarious.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
yeah hes in an out pretty quickly just progress the story - not really a big deal

There area lot of things a player can do in the RCPD before triggering him that said player may not have done yet before triggering him so the duration of dealing with his shenanigans will vary from player to player.

I left a lot to do before spawning him the first time around, and it was not easy. The second time around, I did everything I possibly could before meeting him, and I was rid of him fairly quickly.

All that said, I enjoyed every moment I screamed, complained, and laughed with him. The man gave me butterflies, and I couldn't get him off my mind for weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Mr X was great. He shows up just when you're getting comfortable with the layout and probably a bit complacent about the enemies. He adds a slight element of unpredictability to proceedings forcing you to change your route and think ahead a bit more.

He was quite easy to lose I found, just head off in a direction and then hide behind a door and then double back. He's only around for a short while anyway, aside from a couple of minor special guest appearances later on.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Stop running and shooting everywhere, lure him onto different floors, learn your way around, cheese his slow movement. I also don't think he can go into the clock tower. I genuinely think he can hear you running if he's above or below you too.

I really didn't have much of an issue with him at all and I don't understand the complaints.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really ruin the game I think. But I definitely wish he was more of a threat.

I'd personally have loved it if he could go into safe rooms, appeared at random times, and had some kind of attacks that didn't make him so easy to kite as long as you stay a few meters from him

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Just default/Normal. I figure he'd be scarier on whatever the higher difficulty is. In fact, I kinda feel like he should be a one-hit kill even on Normal just to make him even remotely threatening.
If he was a one hit kill then he would be annoying. It'd be like Alien Isolation where the xenomorph is NOT a threat but a god damn reset button with legs.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand why some people might find him annoying but I guess you could make the same argument about any enemies as they are only there to get in your way. I found that the noise of his footsteps added tension without necessarily being scary. If he was around all game it might get really tedious but for the amount of time he is around I think it adds an interesting element.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
He is much more effective and dangerous when you are trying to complete a higher rank run on Hardcore. I don't know how many runs he ruined for me on S+ Hardcore attempts. I wish there was some kind of mode where he could enter every room and where they removed his scripted teleportation.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who works with user research + interviews, the "criticisms" of Mr. X mostly read as unintentional praise for a well designed monster/mechanic.

Let me reframe it like this: you've dropped a survival horror game because one of the monsters inconvenienced you to the point of getting stressed out and not wanting to play anymore. That means hes doing his job!

The observation that there is no risk of death because you are faster than him misses the point that this is an OBVIOUS and intentional design goal on the part of the developers. His inclusion adds an additional, dynamic layer of strategy and planning at a point in the game when you've been introduced to the majority of the mechanics and your environment, and might even be feeling comfortable for a change.

Mr. X (who let me remind you is an enormous bald man in a trench coat) is not meant to be scary in the traditional sense. He exists to stalk and harass you, to ramp up the base levels of your stress, to force you into uncomfortable situations and make mistakes, to improvise and plan suboptimal routes, and be forced to backtrack through the zombie infested hallways you might have easily slipped through earlier.

Realistically the game can be speedrun in an hour, and Mr. X represents a relatively small portion of the game. For his brief time in the spotlight I think hes used to terrific effect.