• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
He was annoying for about 20 minutes but that's hardly enough to ruin a game. Just speedrun to the next objective and he'll be gone again. You can go back to exploring later.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't like him either.

He's scary maybe the first time you see him and then just kind of annoying, luckily in Leon A he's not there so much.

I started Claire B and he popped up almost instantly when I was just trying to explore and gear up a bit and it made me not want to play the game and I haven't touched it since the first save when I shut it off. I don't know. Could do without entirely.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started Claire B and he popped up almost instantly when I was just trying to explore and gear up a bit and it made me not want to play the game and I haven't touched it since the first save when I shut it off. I don't know. Could do without entirely.

1. That's the only 'extra' time you will see him in Claire B.

2. You made the mistake of getting the battery from the STARS office early. That's what triggers him. Basically finish everything else you want to do at RPD and leave that (and blowing up the C4) for the very end. That way you won't have to deal with him for more than a minute or two.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I find him to be pretty goddamn annoying. Being able to take him down and have him out for some time would have been good but he gets up after a minute or so.

At a point its just not fun anymore because you can't relax and play at your own pace.

It's a horror game. The entire point (until you learn the game and come back to master it on subsequent playthroughs) is for it to make you feel tense and uneasy, not relaxed and uncomfortable. If you didn't want that feeling, then why did you play the game?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
As someone that hasn't played the original, I didn't find him scary or tense. I imagine he very much was so with fixed camera angles and classic RE mechanics, but they failed to really do anything interesting with him in the remake. He's just a nuisance and I can see him definitely being one when doing an S+ rank.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Thought his implementation was amazing and just what it was supposed to be in the original weren't it for the technical limitations. Kinda sad to see so many people being salty about him.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I've heard complaints that he's on your ass too much.

So now I'm confused.
Depend on how you play:
- There are two sides to the police station and his AI always know which side you're in
- He randomly search around(more like stroll around) in the side you're in
- If you make a loud noise(like shooting) he checks it out
- There are specific triggers that make him teleport near you for a scripted encounter
- He has specific spawn points for the first encounter and wont show up unless you trigger one of them

So depending on how you play, you could run into him way more than other players.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So this thread motivated me to go back and do my second run. I admit I've been putting it off because I wasn't in the mood for the kind of experience people were telling me it was where Mr. X is relentless, and he shows up nearly instantly, and he's constantly hounding you...

So imagine my surprise when I ended up triggering him after having cleared out just about all of the places you can go on your quest to the parking garage, already had Leon's Lighting Hawk, and just had to put with him chasing me for maybe all of two more minutes than he did in the 1st Run. In total, I only let him spot me on three separate occasions outside his scripted appearances, and in each one it was because I wanted to know he was behind me.

I'll give Capcom credit here: Mr. X is a better utilized stalker than Jack, and so much more psychologically intimidating. Hearing his stomping through a wall is easily the most demoralizing thing in RE2, and the idea of all the unique ways Mr. X can fuck you because you didn't properly clear out a section you'd have to go back to can be enough to make you put up the game for a while. He's also amazing in how when he does spot me and that music starts blasting, I love how frantically my lizard brain kicks in, forcing me over to the shotgun and I start hauling ass. He's fantastic.

But instead of thinking of Mr. X as this invincible, relentless nuisance (Which admittedly he is), it's probably more accurate and helpful to think of him as an even more oblivious Johnny from Metal Gear Solid. He has an extremely limited field of view, he can't actually do much to you once he does see you, so long as you don't outright panic and he's just as dependent on hearing you to track you down, as you are in avoiding him. Use your walk. Don't worry about your flashlight because I'm pretty sure he can't see light. Take advantage of level geometry to obscure his line of sight when he still hasn't spotted you, and if you are worried about him being in the way of somewhere you need to go, flashbangs work. I've yet to have to use more than four flashbangs on him to get through the entire police station, but also be willing to take a few lives when he shows up to antagonize him and figure out how to bait his attacks.

I promise you, he is nowhere as bad as people make him out to be.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hes the only reason backtracking through the same area was interesting imo. I liked that you can hear him stomping around on different floors above or below.
Kind of surprised people had trouble with/did not enjoy this enemy.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
We've all been there.

Being annoyed by him only means you still don't know your way around the RPD that well. Once you know the place inside out, Mr. X stops being a nuisance altogether.

He can be a little more annoying in Scenario B, but if you know what you're doing he's unlikely to give you trouble.

Being frustrated by him is normal. It means he's working as intended.
Dropping the game because of him would be a mistake.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
He's really only prominent in one segment of the game and there's plenty of strategies on how to avoid him and complete what you need to do.

I've already beaten the game 3 times and working on my 4th. He just adds a nice bit of tension and strategy to the game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
He's not scary... but nothing in the game is.

He serves to test your memory and to make the players use the most optimat route, and to make situations tense. I didn't know that he can hear you during my Leon A run, so it completed some puzzles by cheesing the IA, which was more funny than scary tbh.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It probably would have been better to just leave him in Scenario B. They didn't really do anything new or interesting with him anyway.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a horror game. The entire point (until you learn the game and come back to master it on subsequent playthroughs) is for it to make you feel tense and uneasy, not relaxed and uncomfortable. If you didn't want that feeling, then why did you play the game?

Well I played game because I like Resident Evil. Doesn't change the fact that I think he sucks and should have just gotten the game on PC so I could mod him away.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't say he ruins the game, but he is the least enjoyable part of the game.

Majority of the game is about exploring Andy figuring things out yourself. MR X shows up and you are instantly not able to explore anymore cause you have to keep running from him. Seems to go against all the enjoyment they built into the game before he shows up.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't say he ruins the game, but he is the least enjoyable part of the game.

Majority of the game is about exploring Andy figuring things out yourself. MR X shows up and you are instantly not able to explore anymore cause you have to keep running from him. Seems to go against all the enjoyment they built into the game before he shows up.
But he shows up after you return to an area you've already explored. If he wasn't there then there would be no exploration, just walking to the two new doors (three if you're Leon and have the diamond key) you can open without anything getting in your way.

Tomma18

Banned
May 29, 2018
The amount of people who are saying he is annoying because he's just a roadblock or planned interference......do you even play video games ??

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I fucking love it. The first time I encountered him I figured I'd just book it to the other side of the station and he would de-spawn like in the original.

Then I heard those fucking footsteps.

He gets the heart pumping and forces you to plan your routes through the map to get things done. The game does an incredible job of keeping a first time player on their toes and making things never feel quite safe, and X is a part of that.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
We all felt the same at first, we were all wrong. Just finish what you have to do in the station and come back later. I complained a lot about him in the OT

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It could be worse OP

BNg2zx.gif

MY SIDES.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
He's more of a hassle than scary for me, especially when you're trying to to solve puzzles and which way to go.

He does ruin the whole atsmosphere for that part because you're constantly focosing on him and running. He also killed the momentum for me, didn't have. Big Desire to boot it up again after he showed up.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. X not really being a threat is a reward for clearing other enemies.

I'd say Leon A had just the right amount of him. Him showing up earlier in B doesn't work as well with the flow of the game.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find him to be pretty goddamn annoying. Being able to take him down and have him out for some time would have been good but he gets up after a minute or so.

At a point its just not fun anymore because you can't relax and play at your own pace.

It's exactly why he arrives at that point, I, too, was getting comfortable navigating through the RPD by that point. It's exactly to break that feeling that they chose to make Mr. X happen.

It's a horror game, feeling relaxed and comfortable while playing means that it badly does its job.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. X not really being a threat is a reward for clearing other enemies.

I'd say Leon A had just the right amount of him. Him showing up earlier in B doesn't work as well with the flow of the game.

I think the B scenario is better since the RPD is more open from the start, there are more zombies, and you get to spend a decent amount of time with Mr. X around, so the stretch of the game where you have to make the most critical decisions and strategizing is extended.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I meant that there's no risk of being killed by him because I can easily give him the run-around.
The risk isn't on Mr X himself, the risk is having to deal with him while you have to navigate around the department, doing puzzles and whatnot. You enter the corridor with two lickers in it and suddenly Mr X is a big problem.

He doesn't exist to be threatening himself, he exists to make the rest of the game deadlier because now you can't take your time anymore.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think the B scenario is better since the RPD is more open from the start, there are more zombies, and you get to spend a decent amount of time with Mr. X around, so the stretch of the game where you have to make the most critical decisions and strategizing is extended.
I just think the kind of cat and mouse he offers works better in shorter stretches.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Man even in videos, he scares me.

You know who isn't scary? The molded. Man, I played 7 sweating until encountering them. They were my second Save room.

I'm buying RE2 next week and I am already terrified of X.

Last edited:

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
As someone that kinda dislike stalking enemies i was really worried that Mr.X would ruin the game for me before playing but he ended up just being a mild annoyance. He is so slow, easy to avoid and just not scary at all... He is scarier in the original but that might just be because i was younger.

If you are planning on getting the game but are on the fence because of Mr.X id say there is no need to worry.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once I got used to him mostly being sound-based I just learned to take it slow and make higher-traffic areas clean before he arrives. I think in my most recent run I barely saw him for more than five minutes even if he was stomping around somewhere.

Deleted member 11832

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game to explore a cool resident evil world at my own pace, not to play cat and mouse with a shitty Amnesia monster.

Mr.X is trash, his rules are not obvious at all, I wasted a fuckton of ammo only to find out I did it for nothing. And he appears at a moment when you should take your time to thoroughly explore to get supply, because when he disappear you'll be stuck for a while in the sewers. But you cant because he's constantly on your ass. As a result my first run was a soft lock because I had no ammo left... fun times.

Sure, when you already know the game and already know how he works, he only becomes an easily exploitable annoyance. But then it only demonstrates how bad he is, that he can easily ruin a first time experience and at the same time be easily outplayed by exploiting dumb 'game logic'. Its immersion breaking and simply unfun in both cases.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Best thing to do if he really bothers you is just do everything else before actually triggering him, then you only have to deal with him for for a short amount of time.

That way you can take your time around the RPD before having to trigger him just before you are done with the area.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game to explore a cool resident evil world at my own pace, not to play cat and mouse with a shitty Amnesia monster.

Mr.X is trash, his rules are not obvious at all, I wasted a fuckton of ammo only to find out I did it for nothing. And he appears at a moment when you should take your time to thoroughly explore to get supply, because when he disappear you'll be stuck for a while in the sewers. But you cant because he's constantly on your ass. As a result my first run was a soft lock because I had no ammo left... fun times.

Sure, when you already know the game and already know how he works, he only becomes an easily exploitable annoyance. But then it only demonstrates how bad he is, that he can easily ruin a first time experience and at the same time be easily outplayed by exploiting dumb 'game logic'. Its immersion breaking and simply unfun in both cases.

iirc the game actually has an adaptive difficulty, where if you run out of ammo you will find more in new areas. Also the more you reload after a death the less enemies are spawned and the less damage they take to die.

Of course that doesnt help you now

Last edited:

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
It's a flawed implementation, He first appears following you pretty much everywhere near the end of part 1, then you start the rest of the game and he becomes like the original game, I think, a scripted event material. The game wasn't built to push this concept far.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I tended to avoid zombies so when he finally showed up, he kept me fumbling into all the ones I left alive.

It was really difficult and tense.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You could kill them just like you could "kill" X in the original. Even having incentive to do it.
So? You can make him stop chasing you and throw him off long enough to go into the interrogation room, go into the 2F diamond room, grab the magnum/SMG, get into the records room for the jack, and get to the clock tower by just shooting him in the head a couple of times in the A scenario. He can't even leave the 2F hallway till you use the valve in the B scenario. I don't find him scary anymore but people oversell how annoying he actually is.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. He becomes more annoying than scary once you figure out he can never catch up to you. I also hated how he keeps on teleporting around the map.

Oct 28, 2017
Without Mr X I feel the latter part of the police station would have felt so trivial. The thing is he shows up just at the right time. Just as you're getting comfortable. Just as you're getting comfortable with the mechanics, the gameplay and the layout of everything. Mr X was a great way to take that comfort away.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Nemesis and Mr. X are very different both when it comes to fighting them and running away from them. Nemesis is much harder to avoid and infinitely harder to take down. Also, I think your logic that you have more ammo because of him is flawed. Yes, you could argue the game has to assume you are going to fight Nemesis and give you more ammo, but that's true even without him. In all classic Resident Evil (and RE2make) you have way more ammo they you need, maybe not to kill every enemy, but certainly to take more than enough to breeze through. Ammo management in RE doesn't come from having little of it, or at least that's just part of the equation, the other part if not knowing if you have enough ammo or not. And in that context an enemy like Nemesis who takes huge amount of bullets to take down will always keep you on your toe. That's why RE games get so much easier (and faster) to beat in subsequent playthroughts, that element is gone. That's also why when we analyze this subjects we have to think of first time players, and not veterans of the game who know all their mechanics, ammo location, etc...

You can, in fact, run through both the original RE2 and RE3 shooting every enemy because of how much ammo the game dumps on you, which is not the case in most of the classic-styled entries. It's not even an issue of "new players vs veterans," I ran through both these games when they were new and both times within a couple hours I had more ammo than a CoD protagonist and was just playing them like a shooter. If anybody played these games thinking ammo was limited it was because they assumed it based on how RE1 plays, not because of anything in RE2 and RE3.

I'd also like to add that even if we assume combat is a weak part of the Resident Evil, which I think is not that true in RE3, ammo isn't the only resource that is important to it. You're missing the health aspect of it. Nemesis can deliver extreme damage to the player and is very hard to take down. He is not that hard to ignore, that's true, but only when you're confident where you're going. Which first timers won't be. And RE3 doesn't give you considerably more health itens just because Nemesis is out there. To finish, I'm not sure if people will say RE3 is among the easy RE games.

Nemesis doesn't deal that much damage, in Normal difficulty he has to ding five rockets off of you to kill you (which is incidentally the most he can carry into a fight). Even if you suck he doesn't leave you much worse off than other enemies, unless you're just letting him whale on you for some reason.

(also, handy tip: When Nemesis has the Rocket Launcher in his hands, he CANNOT kill you with anything but a direct hit with a rocket. If you're in Caution you can run up close to him to him and he literally cannot kill you unless you get far enough away for him to rocket you)

RE2 and RE3 being piss easy isn't some niche opinion, even if you suck at the games your item box will be filled with ammo and herbs in a matter of no time. If anything is noticeably difficult, it's the forced boss fights because they're built around that awkward dodge.

There's actually a few other triggers as well. For example [icking up the grenade in the records room as Claire will teleport him to just outside and he will walk in to get you.

Are you sure? I know that when picking up the crank handle he'll walk straight for you (he still doesn't teleport though), but i don't recall anything for the records room.

There's a guy who found almost all of Mr. X's AI mechanics and afaik the only teleportation he found was for the wall smash.